Menu

Anyone using Peace Hill Press' bible study?

Chris in VA

I'm certainly interested, though I doubt any of the individual workbooks will come out in time to use with my kids (since only the first grade book is listed as having a release date). I'll certainly buy the over-view volume though, when it's available.

In the mean time, my oldest is doing Memoria Press's Christian Studies program for middle school, and we plan to use The Bible and its Influence in high school. My younger one just reads (and occasionally narrates) Bible stories...

I read everything there on the website, including samples & author's notes. It fits us to a 'T' as well... but my guys will be just old enough it may seem a little babyish to them.

Dear PHP,

Plz have your OBB div. pub. the rest of the Bible curric. ASAP.

TYVM,

A.

Too many abbreviations? Naaaah.

I am not trying to cause any controversy, but felt it was important to let people know that the author of this Bible Study (Dr. Peter Enns) does not hold to the inspiration of Scripture or to biblical inerrancy and is an ardent Darwinist (evolutionist). He was a tenured professor at Westminster Theological Seminary, but was voted off the faculty because of these views. He believes there are errors and contradictions in the Bible… He does not believe in a literal Adam and Eve… He believes the Apostle Paul was wrong when he spoke of Adam…He does not believe in a historic “Fallâ€â€¦He believes God used evolution to create all living things…You can Google his name and read about his views for yourselves. He writes a lot of articles for the BioLogos website (theistic evolution organization). Again, I don’t want to stir any controversy, but think people should know these things. Blessings

Nope, I am new to these message boards and just thought people would want to know the author of this Bible Study’s background. No agenda here, other than to share information people might want to know. I am sorry if this has already been discussed. I did not see that. Can you point me to the discussion? Thanks!

No problem, I didn’t think you were “jumping on me.†I am new here and just learning the ropes regarding homeschooling. I am from Dallas, but I have never attended DTS. I am not sure why that would matter anyway. Can you point me to the thread? What is “SWB� I think it is important to actually read the author’s writings and not just go by what he says about himself. I have been reading Peter’s writings for quite some time now and that is where I gathered the information I provided. Anyone can check out the BioLogos website or his books and learn for themselves. I think it is important to let people know about an author’s views. If people are okay with supporting someone with his views, then that is certainly their choice. It is important for people to be educated regarding the person they are supporting.

I am not trying to cause any controversy, but felt it was important to let people know that the author of this Bible Study (Dr. Peter Enns) does not hold to the inspiration of Scripture or to biblical inerrancy and is an ardent Darwinist (evolutionist). He was a tenured professor at Westminster Theological Seminary, but was voted off the faculty because of these views. He believes there are errors and contradictions in the Bible… He does not believe in a literal Adam and Eve… He believes the Apostle Paul was wrong when he spoke of Adam…He does not believe in a historic “Fallâ€â€¦He believes God used evolution to create all living things…You can Google his name and read about his views for yourselves. He writes a lot of articles for the BioLogos website (theistic evolution organization). Again, I don’t want to stir any controversy, but think people should know these things. Blessings

That is awesome!!!! So encourageing!!! If I wasn't sold on this curriculum...I am now :)

It's so hard to find something I will use with my kids!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited? :D

I didn't know this existed. Thanks for posting this. Pete Enns rocks. :thumbup1:

And Dallas12, while I appreciate the desire to inform about the controversy, those of us who know Pete and sat under him at WTS would have to say that your summary is not quite accurate. He dared to ask some tough questions, but still wholly believes in the inerrancy of scripture.

I didn't know this existed. Thanks for posting this. Pete Enns rocks. :thumbup1:

And Dallas12, while I appreciate the desire to inform about the controversy, those of us who know Pete and sat under him at WTS would have to say that your summary is not quite accurate. He dared to ask some tough questions, but still wholly believes in the inerrancy of scripture.

:iagree:I have read quite a bit about this controversy and it is quite complex as well as coming off as somewhat political.

Gailmeagan,

My summary is accurate. It is supported by the note below from the highly distinguished scholar Dr. Wayne Grudem and I could point out many other top scholars as well.

Dr. Wayne Grudem

http://greenbaggins.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/wayne-grudems-letter-regarding-pete-enns/

Pete might claim to believe in inerrancy, but the question is “what does he mean by inerrancy?†As Dr. Grudem points out in his note, it is clearly not the biblical inerrancy that orthodox believers hold. Why do you think Westminster Theological Seminary voted him out?

I would certainly urge others to make up their own minds on this by reading his book “Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament†and reading his articles on the BioLogos website:

http://biologos.org/blog/pete-enns-on-evangelicals-evolution-and-the-bible-moving-toward-a-synthesis/

Again, I am only trying to educate people in case this is important to them. I am sorry to get the discussion off track again. Please continue. Blessings

dallas12 -

Your summary goes even farther than Grudem does with its conclusions. And Grudem's letter is filled with a lot of assumptions about what Pete "implies". Grudem interprets Pete's attitude to be one of joy in his own intellect at the expense of scripture. Having listened to Pete, day in and day out, discuss these topics, I found he did so with wonder and respect for the Word of God. You are right, that those wanting to know more should read I&I for themselves. And you ask me for MY opinion as to why WTS voted him out? Since I wasn't in the board room, I don't know for sure, but from my experience I do believe politics played a large part. The situation does make me sad. I had really hoped they could work it out, since I value the things I was taught by all parties involved and I respect them all as men of God, who are trying to honor Him with their scholarship.

• 4 months later...
Guest Proverbsmom

I just learned of the new "Bible Study" written by Peter Enns and published by Peace Hill Press. I was disappointed to hear that SWB is aligning herself and the company with this man. I can't help but wonder at the content of a Bible study written by a man who claims to believe in the inerrancy of the Scripture while challenging the Bible at its very foundation. I am not impressed with his credentials, but with the fruit of his labor which is quite obvious if you visit the Biologos website. Afterall that is the source of Mr. Enns fruit. Given that the question is about the Bible Study published by PHP and there is some very real issue with the belief system of the author I find an open discussion beneficial. I guess the bottom line is whether or not you are looking for a Creation based Bible study or something else. If you are looking for a Creation based Bible study I would be very careful to look for an author who is known for his/her belief in Creation as told in the book of Genesis. If you are someone who does not believe that the Bible is true as written then Petter Enns might be the author for you.

I just learned of the new "Bible Study" written by Peter Enns and published by Peace Hill Press. I was disappointed to hear that SWB is aligning herself and the company with this man. I can't help but wonder at the content of a Bible study written by a man who claims to believe in the inerrancy of the Scripture while challenging the Bible at its very foundation. I am not impressed with his credentials, but with the fruit of his labor which is quite obvious if you visit the Biologos website. Afterall that is the source of Mr. Enns fruit. Given that the question is about the Bible Study published by PHP and there is some very real issue with the belief system of the author I find an open discussion beneficial. I guess the bottom line is whether or not you are looking for a Creation based Bible study or something else. If you are looking for a Creation based Bible study I would be very careful to look for an author who is known for his/her belief in Creation as told in the book of Genesis. If you are someone who does not believe that the Bible is true as written then Petter Enns might be the author for you.

I can't help but wonder about the motive of someone who joined the boards to start this thread that SWB already answered and then resurrects an old one for what reason????

I'm not buying the 1st grade book, but I am buying the overview book. And what piqued my interest in the book? The "warning" that a local homeschool group sent out. I read the sample and was pretty impressed. Maybe it's true that bad publicity is better than no publicity. :001_smile:

Totally hijacking this post but,

Does anyone know when they'll be releasing year 2, 3, etc? This seems like a program we'd be really interested in, but I don't want to order and start year 1 if year 2 won't be available for a couple years....

From the author's blog (http://peterennsonline.com/2010/07/05/new-bible-curriculum-telling-gods-story-coming-in-february-2011/):

In February 2011 the Parents’ Guide and 1st grade material will be available. Grade 2 will come out later that year, with a publication schedule of two curriculum years each year thereafter.

I'm really looking forward to getting this curriculum. I like what I saw in the samples. :)

I am getting the feeling that there is someone lurking here who is really displeased about this book. Oh well.

I am really looking forward to getting and reading this book. I hope the activity guides come out quickly. This is one of the few areas that I need something for. I am piecing together lots of things, but it would be nice to have a guide.

From the author's blog (http://peterennsonline.com/2010/07/05/new-bible-curriculum-telling-gods-story-coming-in-february-2011/):

I'm really looking forward to getting this curriculum. I like what I saw in the samples. :)

Thank you! I hadn't even thought to check the authors blog.

I also liked what I saw in the samples.

I received an email this morning from a lady stating this curriculum was based on theistic evolution. I wrote back this was not the case. Does anyone know if this curriculum teaches that theistic evolution is the way God created the world? Also, there are articles bashing this curriculum for error in teaching the truth that the Bible is the inherrent Word of God. I would like to see some reviews to support this new curriculum and find it unfair for others to be bashing it. I looked at the samples and it looks fun for the kids.

I received an email this morning from a lady stating this curriculum was based on theistic evolution. I wrote back this was not the case. Does anyone know if this curriculum teaches that theistic evolution is the way God created the world? Also, there are articles bashing this curriculum for error in teaching the truth that the Bible is the inherrent Word of God. I would like to see some reviews to support this new curriculum and find it unfair for others to be bashing it. I looked at the samples and it looks fun for the kids.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235544

Your concerns are addressed in this thread.

If you are looking for a Creation based Bible study I would be very careful to look for an author who is known for his/her belief in Creation as told in the book of Genesis. If you are someone who does not believe that the Bible is true as written then Petter Enns might be the author for you.

Well, I see that this poster has two posts as of when I am typing this, but I must say I am glad she resurrected this thread, as I never saw it last year. I am very excited that this book by Enns is being published - I really liked the samples I read, too. So, yes, Chris, I am planning to use it! :D

Anyway, to Proverbsmom, in reference to what I quoted you on above - I don't fall into either category right now - I fall into "unknown" - don't know right now which I believe, so this book will be helpful in my thinking.

I totally agree with dallas12, though he/she was challenged on why he/she posted, that it's a good thing to know where an author is coming from. It's also good to actually read the book and decide for yourself. And read books from various points of view to help you decide what you think. And that is where I fall right now - undecided.

To me, there is something different about this book - it isn't like other Bible study books that tell me what to think or what to teach or how to extract what the author wants me to extract. I can't put my finger on it yet, though - will have to wait til I read it. I think it has to do with the general WTM way of learning, that is so appealing to me.

Wish it were NOW!! LOL

I think it's available from PHP now!! Wish I could buy now, but shipping to Canada is too much for me - I'll have to wait for other avenues to open up, hopefully soon. Dh read the excerpts this a.m., and read up on Enns, and he likes the looks of the book, too. Yay!!!

Totally hijacking this post but,

Does anyone know when they'll be releasing year 2, 3, etc? This seems like a program we'd be really interested in, but I don't want to order and start year 1 if year 2 won't be available for a couple years....

Hi: Justin here; I'm the executive editor at Olive Branch Books. We're glad to hear that you're interested! The current schedule is to release Year Two in January 2012. It MIGHT be available earlier than that, especially in PDF form, but barring any unforeseen catastrophes, it should be out by January 2012.

Hope that's helpful.

I think it's available from PHP now!! Wish I could buy now, but shipping to Canada is too much for me - I'll have to wait for other avenues to open up, hopefully soon. Dh read the excerpts this a.m., and read up on Enns, and he likes the looks of the book, too. Yay!!!

We're glad you're excited about the book, Colleen! Since the shipping to Canada is so expensive, have you considered buying the book as a downloadable PDF? All the "Telling God's Story" books are available in this format...which also costs less than a print version. But I know you may prefer to have a print/bound copy.

Here's this Info off the site about Pete Enns: http://biologos.org/about/team/pete-enns/

I hope it's good... I'd like to use it :)

"Pete Enns

Senior Fellow, Biblical Studies

Pete Enns is an evangelical Christian scholar and author of several books and commentaries, including the popular Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament, which looks at three questions raised by biblical scholars that seem to threaten traditional views of Scripture. Enns graduated with a bachelor’s degree in behavioral science from Messiah College in Grantham, Penn., in 1982, and a Master of Divinity from Westminster Theological Seminary in 1989. He earned his master’s degree and doctorate from Harvard University in 1993 and 1994. Enns was formerly a professor of Old Testament and hermeneutics at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, Penn., and has taught courses at Princeton Theological Seminary, Harvard University, and Biblical Theological Seminary. He is also a member of the Society of Biblical Literature, and the Institute for Biblical Research."

BTW, I think it is fair to judge a book by the author's reputation. It's to be expected. That's why you usually see where a person went to school, where they teach... go to church.. and if you are able... speak with them. If he doesn't believe in the Bible as infallible... then potentially.... it wouldn't match up with my beliefs... I would love to take a look at this, though... Perhaps I'll look for the samples ;)

Edited by NayfiesMama

Could someone tell me if I need both the Instructor Text/Teaching Guide, AND The Parent's Guide- to go along with the student text/activity pages? Or just one of them? Are they very similar? Or very different? Thanks!

Hi Kirstin...for grade 1, you would want the "Year One Instructor Text/Teaching Guide" and the "Year One Activity Book/student text" ... the "Parents Guide" is an overview of the entire (multigrade) curriculum, and of the Bible itself. It's very helpful and clarifying, but is not strictly necessary. You could do grade 1 without it.

Justin from olive branch books