Menu

Do your dc like to diagram sentences

I can still remember the day I learned sentence diagramming in school. Up to that point I struggled in grammar. Then I was introduced to diagramming, and a light switched on for me, and I began to enjoy grammar. I am not sure what it was, but everything was so much more interesting when I was diagramming. My kids love it too!

Tolerate it would be the word. They don't love it or hate it. They do it because I give them no choice. :D Given a choice they wouldn't. Course I don't have those naturally loving to do school type of kids. Mine would choose Nintendo DS first any day. Thus that pretty much is true of all of their hs.

Heather

I can still remember the day I learned sentence diagramming in school. Up to that point I struggled in grammar. Then I was introduced to diagramming, and a light switched on for me, and I began to enjoy grammar. I am not sure what it was, but everything was so much more interesting when I was diagramming. My kids love it too!

:iagree:

Diagramming just made sense to me! My son will start it this year. I hope he likes it. :glare:

My dd#2 discovered diagramming when we did R&S 5 (the first level we did), and, to be honest, so did I. I was never taught to diagram and I know I would have loved it - so satisfying to have every word playing its specific role. My dd likes it. My oldest dd has never diagrammed an English sentence but her Latin studies required her to do essentially the same thing, and she says this is how she learned English grammar.

Course I don't have those naturally loving to do school type of kids. Mine would choose Nintendo DS first any day. Thus that pretty much is true of all of their hs.

Heather

My kids would also pick video games over most of their schoolwork. But they Love diagramming sentences on the whiteboard (I'm sure I would have a rebellion if I asked them to do the sentences on paper, as that would completely ruin the "show-off" aspect of the thing.) They ask me to take pictures of them with their best sentences!

Yes, my son likes it. We are using Rod & Staff and it's getting harder, so I don't know how long he will continue to enjoy it!! It was alot easier with First Language Lessons and I'm really glad we used that before starting R&S. He liked that the skeleton was already drawn out for him and that the lessons gave him the exact steps to follow. R&S doesn't lay the steps out so well and even I am beginning to forget the pattern that we learned with FLL. I keep meaning to make him a cheat sheet but I haven't done it yet.

Dd15 loves, loves, loves diagramming! She learned at a private school that used Voyages in English (2006 secular edition). The 7th and 8th grade English teacher there is PASSIONATE about grammar! She was shocked last year that other freshman didn't know how to diagram sentences :)

DD17, same teacher, same background, put up with diagramming. When he started Latin freshman year, he realized just how much grammar he did know :)

Dd10, the beginning homeschooler, will hopefully follow in their footsteps. I've got ViE (6) ready and waiting for her!

It is total misery to both of my dd's. We even do it on a white board and they are only doing simple subject, simple predicate and direct objects. They are however thrilled when their R&S lesson does not include any diagramming for the day. Maybe I should find something worse than diagramming so maybe they would like it more. :lol:

Gina