Menu

Supplies you don't realize you need until you need them.

Xuzi

I totally didn't even think of needing bookmarks, (DD's too young for independent reading, and it didn't cross my mind to mark my place in our text books) but I think I'll be cutting up some cardstock tonight after the kids are in bed for my DD to decorate in the morning.

This is only our first day of Full-Load Homeschooling (we did HS-Lite during June and took July off, but now we're in full swing). I'm wondering what I'll realize I need tomorrow... :tongue_smilie:

I totally didn't even think of needing bookmarks, (DD's too young for independent reading, and it didn't cross my mind to mark my place in our text books) but I think I'll be cutting up some cardstock tonight after the kids are in bed for my DD to decorate in the morning.

This is only our first day of Full-Load Homeschooling (we did HS-Lite during June and took July off, but now we're in full swing). I'm wondering what I'll realize I need tomorrow... :tongue_smilie:

Post-it-notes make the best bookmarks!

You know, almost every day there's at least one thing we need that I didn't think of ahead of time. Usually it's copies of a particular math worksheet or something along that line. :glare:

Also, for AAS users .... you need the magnets for the back of the tiles! I'm so glad that I had some left over that someone gave me! I just opened my level 3 (the other 2 levels I got used, so the magnets were already on the tiles). My "perfectly" planned out year (:lol:) almost came to a crashing halt before it even started!

You guys are way fancier than us. I use any little scrap of paper, from bill envelopes, magazine inserts, to a napkin or kleenex, as bookmarks!:tongue_smilie:

we use our timer A LOT. none of us wear watches and the only other timer is out in the kitchen (on oven).

we set it for: speed drills, timed lessons, reminding us to put the books up and move on to another activity, how long it takes dd to eat a piece of watermelon & spit the seeds into a cup, termination of the 'speed cleanup' time and many other important events throughout our day.

Edited by BearLair

I love those durable post-its that look like the tab on a folder--stand up to many changes of page in our various books. Thanks for the reminder. After flipping through a bunch of pages today to find my place, I realize I need to get some more of those wonderful little gems.

Card stock. I didn't even know such a thing existed, and then when I did know it existed I didn't know where to buy it until I ran into it by accident in the paper section of Walmart. I use it for our memorization box, with our History projects and I have more on hand because I think it will come in handy when I want something stronger than paper, but don't need to laminate.

I use post its as book marks for me too, and the kids are using index cards but I will switch them to paper clips after reading this thread.

A really good, high quality pencil sharpener. Paper clips. Little colored post-its for marking my place in every single book I use.

ditto to all of the above, and especially post-it notes for bookmarks. I like to write TOG reading assignment page numbers on the post it note and stick the note on the cover of the book at the beginning of the week. No more searching for a bookmark!

we use our timer A LOT. none of us wear watches and the only other timer is out in the kitchen (on oven).

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

mine kept walking away, so the last friend that had a pampered chef party, I bought 5 of them. I sharpied on the back "piano" Kitchen", "mom", "K", "L"

they have a magnet on the back. very expensive but we LOVE it

robin in NJ

I might have to look into getting some post-its for bookmarks. I do have paperclips, but they get ev.er.y.where in my house if I lose track of them, and with an 18 month old putting everything in his mouth, I'm not sure I want too many of them floating around. :lol:

I love those post it colored flags for bookmarks! I really like that idea of putting a post it with reading assignments for TOG. I may adopt that one!

We also use a lot of card stock, lots of colors. Sharpies. I use tons of binders now. I'm in love with Staples new ones. I go through a lot of dividers too. I never seem to have enough. Scissors grow legs at our house, so I have a drawer full.

Oh, I love the multiple timers idea! I can never find ours. Keeping one by the piano is genius. Duh, why didn't I think of that?!

I want a new 3 hole punch. I want a serious one! Mine causes me much grief.

Fun thread!:001_smile:

My dd does not like marks in workbooks for wrong answers to correct, so I love those colored sticky arrows to mark any wrong answers. I just put one by the answer that is wrong and she knows what to correct. I can easily just recheck the arrowed answers and neatly put it back on the stack to reuse. I even color code some-yellow is spelling errors, red is punctuation,etc.

Gina

A really good, high quality pencil sharpener. Paper clips. Little colored post-its for marking my place in every single book I use.

:iagree: I like the really skinny ones.

Another thing that works *really* well? Look at Border's in the bookmarks. There are bookmarks that are small, folded, laminated paper with magnets. You could probably make these pretty easily.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Ditto on the hole punch. I finally broke down and bought a nice one. $17 at Walmart --- and boy am I glad. I can hole punch in less than half the time!

I also ditto the hole punch, 3 ring binders, plastic filing folders and a good pencil sharpener. Oh, I like the BIG erasers too.

agreein' on all said! I discovered today, since I now have a chalkboard instead of a whiteboard, that I need a dustbuster. I'm gonna flip out about all the chalkdust in about 2 days.

clean contact paper...cheaper than laminate and works great!

file folders like crazy

colored pens...I get tired of correcting in just one color

good, quality writing pens for my pleasure

dental floss...great to have the dc floss during read aloud times :)

not paper clips, but those big, black paper clip, holds stacks of paper, then fold down thingys....what are they called?

red wine and chocolate chip cookies

:lol::lol::lol: I can so relate!

A three-hole punch. I use mine all the time.

But do you have the paper reinforcements for those holes you punch? :lol:

You never know when you are going to tear that important page until its too late.

Brads and ping pong balls are the surprising things I needed last year. With brads you can make spinners for games or joints for skeletons. And watch those ping pong balls - they're highly flammable. :D

Binder Clips? That's what I call them anyways:001_smile:. Happy Homeschooling!

P.S. I haven't run into anything...yet, lol.

YES! binder clips. I searched them and check this out!

Oh, and I forgot plastic sleeves or paper covers. I like to use them for checklists (dry erase marker or vis-a-vis) so I save paper!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

I like the yellow mechanical number 2 pencils to avoid the pencil sharpener. They twist at the bottom instead of pushing them from the top so they don't click when you erase. I also like the erasers that look like a pen (that you can push up). I also needed brads, which were hard to find, and unlined index cards and an index card box. The box was actually harder to find than I thought it would be. I couldn't find a recipe box or index card box at several stores. I also realized I should stock up on plain white paper.

I also needed brads, which were hard to find, and unlined index cards and an index card box. The box was actually harder to find than I thought it would be. I couldn't find a recipe box or index card box at several stores.

You need to find your local craft store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, etc.). Brads in 4 million designs, and tons of boxes - look in the scrapbook section.

:lol: and a BIG coffee cup, but I do skip the cookie and just eat the bag of chocolate chips w/ peanut butter.

i melt mine in the microwave and dip grahams or bananas in them :)

tape. sticky tack b/c we love to put things all over the walls. erasers. hole punch. binder clips. a basket for everything and everything in a basket. ;)

no one has mentioned "quiet" yet. LOL. i know i'm not the only one.

Edited by greenmamato3

Don't know if someone already said this, but Sharpie non-ink-smearing highlighters. These are a lifesaver when I'm planning my boys' history - I can just highlight things in different guides or books and then note what ea. color means vs. copying it all down in 1 place from the different sources. :)

We use post-it notes instead of bookmarks. They don't fall out. ;)

I love to have what I call the "good erasers". These are the white smooth ones. They are the only ones that erase completely.

I also really have been using those plastic, durable, floppy folders that have pockets and the brads in them to hold paper without it falling out. Those are really good for things like Progeny Press pages, map work activities and short term projects your kids are doing. This has been easier for us than white binders for all subjects.

Oh, I really like to used white binders too! The kind that you put a cover page into the plastic cover. Main topics go in there but I use the other (above mentioned) ones for anything extra.

We have to have lots of ink, lots of paper (we buy it by the case at Costco).

The final thing that was really useful was chocolate chips for my reluctant to learn 5 year old. When you are kind of desparate for your kids to enjoy school or a certain subject, chocolate chips to encourage participation can not be beat!:lol:

Don't know if someone already said this, but Sharpie non-ink-smearing highlighters. These are a lifesaver when I'm planning my boys' history - I can just highlight things in different guides or books and then note what ea. color means vs. copying it all down in 1 place from the different sources. :)

My 5th grader LOVES using a highlighter for math. I've allowed her to highlight her answer to each question and it has greatly increased her focus on working each question carefully. She LOVES highlighting the answer (it makes her feel grown up). It actually is easier for me to correct her work with the answers highlighted so it's a win-win!

I use small post-it notes to mark pages in workbooks and teacher manuals where I need to use different sections at the same time. I use them kinda like tabs, only they stick out of the top not the side; for many books I write what section it is, such as in the reading tm, I have one post-it for "lesson", one for "quiz", etc., and I move the tabs as needed. That way the bookmarks don't fall out (I hate when that happens). For books we're reading I do the same thing much of the time also, or else I'll just take an index card and use that as a marker.

If you come across a laminator on sale, it's nice to have one. I got one at Joann's for 1/2 off.:)

I always wanted, and thought I needed, a laminator until I discovered clear packing tape! It works GREAT for laminating flash cards, and other small things! ;)

I have to agree with the other items mentioned, along with a copious amount of pens and pencils, erasers, lined paper, a good stapler with a box of staples, white out, printer paper and ink, a package of red-ink pens, and several highlighters.

Hmm...I think it's time to make a run to Walmart. I am CLEARLY not ready to begin school on Monday! :tongue_smilie:

I know this is not a practical book mark but I really like to use greeting cards that I want to remember as a book mark. So often, I just put cards from people in a file cabinet and never see them again. They can be so sweet and uplifting though that I want to enjoy them for a while so I use them as book marks.:001_smile: