Menu

What grade/age did you start with a spelling program?

MellowYellow

We started All About Spelling at 2 months past 4yo with my oldest dd. She already had experience with figuring out the separate sounds in words and building words with a movable alphabet. She was not able to read at this point, other than painfully sounding out very simple words. Spelling was much easier for her. I'll probably start closer to 5 with ds. I plan to wait until he has about the same skills that dd had when she started.

I tried Spellwell last year with DS for 2nd grade, but he hated it. He could spell half the book already anyway, and the workbook style didn't work for him. It felt like busywork. So we dropped it.

This year I'm starting AAS with him for 3rd grade and also DD1 for first grade. She is starting to read well and likes to write and is asking me how to spell words all. day. long. LOL So I think she's ready!!! I like that this program really seems to teach spelling instead of word lists.

This year, 2nd grade. I wanted him to get a serious grasp on reading before we went to formal spelling. Part of the reason I decided that was because I began with Spelling Workout which he didn't retain at all, and then used spelling sequence which didn't make any sense when it came to the rules of spelling. (It reminds me of whole reading and can work if a child is that type of learner but didn't work at this time for us)

Now we are using All about Spelling and WE LOVE it. He is ready and instead of being a chore to get through he enjoys it and understands the process. I am really glad I waited since he probably would have learned before now, but wouldn't have enjoyed it.

We started spelling halfway through 1st grade after we finished phonics instruction.

Which is you favorite program?

So far Spelling Workout, it gets the job done and is easy to use.

If you have tried more than one program, which is your least favorite?

We tried AAS, it's a great program, but it didn't work for us for a variety of reasons. We also did Dictation Day by Day (it's an older book that I got free off Google Books). I loved it, but I don't have the time to do the prep work that was necessary to make it an effective spelling program. So now we use Spelling Workout, it's simple, inexpensive and easy to use.

Thanks!

Hope that helps!

Well, I use the Oak Meadow curriculum- and in their summary of "Language Arts" for 2nd grade, in the second trimester, it lists "letter sounds/preparation for spelling rules" and in their summary for 3rd grade, it lists "simple spelling rules" in the first trimester and "simple spelling rules and spelling quizzes" in the second trimester of the year, so I guess we'll be following that with my son (who hasn't even started Kindergarten yet at this point).

My oldest ds has never done a spelling program because he just picks up on that and remembers it easily. My middle ds started AAS about half way through K (age 6) when it was clear to me that he wasn't like his brother and being able to read a word didn't mean he could spell it.

Last year, when my daughter was 4 years old, she went through the Evan-Moor Skill Sharpeners K Spellling:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?CurriculumID=3&ClassID=180&SeriesID=124&TitleID=454&EmcID=462

We did some of it orally. At times she would spell a word out loud to me, and I would write her answer. As her printing skill increased, she did more of her own writing in the spelling book. I think this workbook was a good introduction to spelling for her. She does very well with spelling.

This year for K-5, she's doing spelling, but I'm not using a purchased program. I could not find anything that I liked. My main complaint with most purchased programs is that they show the student "errors" too soon in the program. For example, "Circle the correct spelling"

verry verie very veerry

I think this approach is wrong-headed. I've tutored kids whose visual memory was ruined by this method, and I want to avoid it like the plague.

Instead, we made up our own spelling lists, based on resources I have on hand and research I did online. There are plenty of K/1st grade level lists floating around out there. If you can make up your own word lists -- CVC, CCVC, CVCC, CVCE, adding -s, and so on -- you can get through Kindergarten/1st grade level words.

One resource I do recommend is Natural Speller, by Kathryn L. Stout. It isn't a spelling workbook, it's a workbook for spelling. This resource guides you in assigning spelling words and study methods to your student. Your library might have it. If not, it's sometimes for sale here on the For Sale board. HTH.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Speller-Kathryn-L-Stout/dp/1891975005

I tried a little (my own design with simple lists) with my son halfway through this past year when I was pretty assured of his reading skills. I think the reading program we used has helped with him sounding out most of the words, but I see we also need to do spelling rules now. I have AAS1, but I'm thinking it seems like too much for a kid who is pretty good at spelling naturally. I had intended to at least give it a go this summer, but I've been too busy looking at curriculum. :tongue_smilie: One thing I have tried this summer is when he asks how to spell a word I ask him to close his eyes and see if he can visualize it. I believe this is partially the method Charlotte Mason recommended. It has worked to surprising degree. So, maybe I need a program like that....?

In any case, I plan to work on spelling this year with my oldest and he is 6.5. HTH :001_smile:

Starting about the time my son turned six, we worked our way through both spelling lists in Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. (He was also reading at about a 3rd grade level) I would basically give him a spelling test every other day or so. If he missed a word he would copy it 3 to 4 times and it would be added to the next list. This worked very well for him to get the basics. This took him about a year. Then we started Spelling Wisdom. I love that it is studied dictation and my son loves that he gets to master a level. Currently, his spelling in his writing is up to where his dictation level is so I am happy if he starts to struggle then I will look for a more rule based program.

We started about 4.5 years old, shortly after having begun learning to read. So glad we started spelling early!

We're using All-About-Spelling. In one year, we covered two levels, starting level 3 now. I am a thorough person so I'm so glad we're learning all the rules.

We started spelling lessons with my oldest in 3rd. It was a failure. We dropped it and started them again in 4th and they have been a success.

I am going to gently wade into spelling lesson when my youngest is in 3rd.

Which is you favorite program?

SWR. We use it for phonics too but with phonics we just concentrate on the sounds of the phonograms and the rules of how words are pronounced and work on decoding and a little encoding.

I actually use the older version, Teaching Reading at Home and School with the WISE guide book. I also typed up worksheets from the enrichment ideas. We spend 2 weeks on each list, notebook the rules and phonograms, she does the worksheets, she does spelling task card activities with her words and I dictate at the end of the second week.

I do it differently but it works for us.

If you have tried more than one program, which is your least favorite?

I've not really tried anything different. I do have Spelling Power on hand and I like the ideas in the back of the book.:001_smile:

We are using AAS now, for our K year, and it's amazing. I waited only until she was doing the very most basic reading, and I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. I absolutely love that she is learning the spelling rules alongside reading/phonics rules (because they are the same rules!). It seems so much more efficient. And I love that AAS teaches the "whys" of phonics/spelling -- back in my day, we just memorized lists. I gave DD her first "spelling test" the other day, and it was one of those glorious moments when she realized she could spell ANY word from the list that I threw at her, because she knew the *rules*. Very exciting for both of us. :)

I know it gets criticized as being dry and boring, but it really does get the job done. It covers phonics rules so systematically, that I just can't argue! Also, it is layed out in a way my DC can do it on their own, which is a big deal to me since I have 4 kids. The more independent subjects they can do, the more efficient ** I ** am when doing their "together" (with mom) subjects. We are up to Level G for my DS entering grade 6.

My mistake was this... I stopped using it for a year or two around grade 3 b/c it was getting dry (the format/layout is the same through each year). I was hoping to explore other spelling curriculums and get something "better". I never found the time to settle on another one, and DS went without for a good year. His spelling really suffered, since it's not his strength in the first place. So last year we got back on track with SWO, and I remember why I liked it so much in the first place: covers what must be covered, concise, independent. This coming year for him (grade 6), I plan on following SWB's advice about copying the spelling rules that go with each lesson. In the end, DC will have a notebook full of all the important spelling rules for the English language.

I will have a 1st grade,4th grade and 6th grade kiddo using SWO this coming fall. :-)

HTH! GL - Stacey

Also, we started in Grade 1. I wouldn't wait. With DS11, I was a bit sloppy about enforcing spelling, and by grade 4 it was obvious he had a spelling problem. I wish I had been more consistent with him regarding formal spelling exercises, and I HAVE been more consistent with my other kids knowing the troubles we had w/ #1.

:-)

Also, we started in Grade 1. I wouldn't wait. With DS11, I was a bit sloppy about enforcing spelling, and by grade 4 it was obvious he had a spelling problem. I wish I had been more consistent with him regarding formal spelling exercises, and I HAVE been more consistent with my other kids knowing the troubles we had w/ #1.

:-)

I had a similar experience. With my middle child her 2nd - 3rd grade year was spotty for spelling and we didn't get as much done as we should. I think that really affected her ability to work through the rules and apply them to the other areas. I think that in 2nd/3rd grade several parents panic because there child does well with spelling tests, but can't apply it to other areas. However - if you stick consistently with the program in 2nd and 3rd grade - in 4th/5th you should start seeing their spelling improve all around. I so regret getting behind in spelling during 2nd grade - she just never caught back up.

Mine start spelling when they're ready for daily phonics instruction to be dropped. The spelling book takes over where phonics left off. For three of mine that meant first grade level, but for another that wasn't until third grade. That late starter is now a rising fifth grader, and you wouldn't be able to tell she started that much later than her siblings. ;)

Edited by SilverMoon

I waited until each one was reading fluently on a third grade level before starting.

Older son: 4th grade

Younger son: 1st grade

Favorite program: All About Spelling

Least favorite: Spelling Workout

I have also used Sequential Spelling, Spelling Power, K12 Spelling, Megawords

Edited by EKS

IMHO, spelling is a totally separate skill from reading or writing, so I postpone it until them read better.

I started with Spelling Power and used it for several years because it was highly recommended. It worked well for a kid who was a natural speller, but it was hard to implement.

Now, we use Building Spelling Skills. I get it from CBD. It's a basic spelling book and clusters words based on different phonics rules. In the higher levels, it groups words by discipline (biology, science, history, geography) or by roots (greek, latin, spanish). It works better for us and is easy to implement with 4 kids.

For what it is worth, we do formal spelling through 9th grade and then move into learning to spell vocab or discipline-specific words as they come up. Sloppy spelling is not tolerated. I think that my students look dumb when they misspell words in their discipline (I teach chem at a college and require they spell the element correctly--you'd think I'd grown horns when I make that announcement!)