Menu

**Christians Please** Teen questions about God

How would you respond to your teen if she/he asked these questions:

If there is a God, why when I pray and wait I get no response? (example: "I have prayed for God to make my faith strong and He hasn't done it.")

If there is a God, why can't he give proof besides the bible?

Why can't I see him, touch him or hear him?

Why do so many people accept evolution if it's not true?

Why aren't we born knowing about God? Why do we have to be taught?

Why are there so many religions and how do we know 100% that christianity is true?

How do we know our God is the right God?

How can I trust the Bible 100%?

Why can't God give hard evidence that He is there?

If there is a God, why when I pray and wait I get no response? (example: "I have prayed for God to make my faith strong and He hasn't done it.")

God answers, but not always in words. If He did hunker down on your bed and start speaking, when would it be enough? And would what you're left with be faith? In other words, if God shows up to help your faith become stronger, would your faith be stronger, or would you find ten other things to doubt?

He did, it's all around us, inside us, next to us. It's in the miracle of life. It's in the miracle of the elements. It's in your math book :p

You are not holy.

The same reason they accepted the earth being flat. The same reason people assume that marraige is a big drag. The same reason that people believe gossip. Because, this is a fallen world and it's easier to live here if you fall along with it.

We are ;) We move away from God as we grow and then we have to find our way back. Abba (think the first intentional sound babies make), Father.

Why are there so many religions and how do we know 100% that christianity is true?

We have faith in that. This is a question that requires a lot of answering ;) All the same, if Christianity is a little wrong (if Christ was not resurrected, if He wasn't crucified, if He was not without sin) then it's all wrong. Christ told us to learn the OT, He told us that it was not just parables and gobbeldy gook. If Christ is the son of God, if he is good and honest and true, then not believing him is silly.

See above

Because Christ said so, and it's God's word. He is mightier than a printer ;)

God does, all the time. I woke up this morning, my children are healthy, my husband drives back and forth to work and survives every time. There are miracles all around us going on at a nearly constant rate, we just have to pay attention.

Wow! Those are some great questions.

Would he/she be interested in reading C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity? I think that might be a good place to start. He does not use the Bible. Now there are plenty of people who will pick apart his theory, [i think if you google trilemma(sp?) you will find a lot of info] but I like it, a lot.

For me, the Psalmist said it best, "The heavens declare the glory of God . . ." but I am guessing that is not enough? When I look around, I see God. I see His hand in the mountains, birds, flowers, oceans, etc. When I think about how complex the smallest bacteria is, I see God's handiwork.

Even for people who do believe in evolution, there are still debates on how it started. I am reading Darwin on Trial right now and it is very interesting. Maybe he/she could read something like that. It isn't a high-handed, anyone who believes in [E]volution is an idiot, kind of book.

Just a few rambling thoughts. HTH

Keep going! He who endures to the end will be saved.

He did. There are some Christians who believe in Holy Tradition. The Bible is a part of that, but not all of that (in other words, the Church gave us the Bible, the Bible didn't give us the Church). Holy Tradition would be described as the life of the Holy Spirit within the Church -- again, the Bible is part of that, but so are things like the sacraments, the yearly festal cycle, hierarchy, the lives of the martyrs and saints, etc. Learning about and becoming part of Holy Tradition has been the BEST thing ever, ever, ever for our faith -- including our teens. They LOVE it because it's truly changing them.

Because then you wouldn't need FAITH. The Bible even says this -- a disciple asked about it. The answer was something like "even if you could have a [physical/tangible] sign, you wouldn't believe it."

I do not know.

I believe we are born knowing about him. And esp. if we're baptized into the Church at infancy, and are raised in the faith, it's a very natural life.

Ask our priest.

I don't know if saying "We just believe it" suffices but that's where I'm at.

Trust the Church that wrote it.

I would answer this the same as the tangible one above -- it takes faith. Even with "evidence" we still have to apply faith. He's not going to bonk us over the head to make us believe It's a choice that plays out both in how we think, what we say and what we do.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

How old are you? That's why. (Not trying to be harsh, but some things you do have to have many years to look back on to see the progress.)

Besides the reasons others have given, the fact is that if you had proof of God's existence then you would lose a certain level of free will that apparently God values. You could not choose to believe. It is the source of our freedom (thus the song lyrics, "author of liberty").

Refer above

Because evolution explains certain aspects of the world that we live in related to how living things change over time and within their environment. It is a model that helps scientists understand biology. It does not say anything about the origins of matter, the universe, or God. It speaks of how the system works as it is observable to us right now. It says nothing about anything outside of the system, and God is outside of the system. Some people use evolution to validate their belief in a materialist philosophy of the world, but they have to read in other assumptions for it to do that.

This is related to the free will issue again. To reveal Himself to us would take away our ability to choose to know Him.

Umm, I'm not going to touch that one on this forum, but suffice it to say that Christianity on paper is amazing and beautiful. Christians sure have a hard time living it out that way though. 'Tis a fallen world. I love what Lionfamily 1999 wrote (easier to fall along with it). Excellent!

We don't, that is backward. We believe that the RIGHT (righteous, merciful, loving) God is God, and we believe we are HIS. When we turn it around we can justify wrongdoing and attempt to force our beliefs on others as we have seen in the history of Christianity and other religions (and the absence of religion). Having it right gives us humility.

Maybe you don't have to completely right now. Take your time. Try it out. Read it. Live it. Study those that have lived it (Saints). Rest in it instead of judging it for a while and see what happens.

What would that evidence look like? If it was too subtle it would be deniable (that is what we do have), if it is too obvious, then you think you are crazy. It would also destroy free will. When the author walks on the stage, the play is over (Lewis).

God does, all the time. I woke up this morning, my children are healthy, my husband drives back and forth to work and survives every time. There are miracles all around us going on at a nearly constant rate, we just have to pay attention.

:iagree:

I second that it is time (a bit past time it appears) to introduce C.S. Lewis.

Edited by Tea Time

I read a great article by Marcia Somerville about teens and their questions this morning that might be helpful.

http://blog.tapestryofgrace.com/2010/07/trust-god-extend-dignity/

In addition to C.S. Lewis, I have found William Lane Craig's book, Hard Questions, Real Answers to be invaluable.

HTH

Edited by Jugglin'5

I think sometimes it's good for people to find answers in their own spiritual journeys, but if it seems like answering is a fitting response, here are some of my responses

If there is a God, why when I pray and wait I get no response? (example: "I have prayed for God to make my faith strong and He hasn't done it.") How would you know if your faith was being made stronger? (ie it quite possibly is growing stronger, but it's not "magic" and takes longer than one thinks.)

If there is a God, why can't he give proof besides the bible? He can and does. There are people, for instance, in areas closed to missionaries who have visions or dreams of Jesus and come to God through what he reveals in those dreams. People who live and walk with him can share many ways in which He has shown himself in their lives. (I can give specific examples, but it would be better if others your teen knows give the examples.)

Why can't I see him, touch him or hear him? God is spirit and those who worship must worship in spirit and in truth. (John 4) However, people do hear Him --sometimes audibly, more frequently as a strong impression in their mind.

Why do so many people accept evolution if it's not true? What we know is true is that God created the world. There are some Christians who believe that he did this directly and all at once over 6 days; other Christians who also trust in Jesus believe he used evolution as a means of creation. In the Bible, there are many genres of literature. We know, for instance, that when it says in Psalms that the psalmist has hidden himself under God's wings, that that is poetic language, because we recognise that the psalms are of that genre. We don't believe that means God literally has wings. In the same way, there are only two creation narratives in our Bible; they are their own kind of genre. Some Christians think we should take them literally; others think they are true but not literal (like hiding under God's wings is true, but not literal.) Our faith is not dependent on it either way. Our faith rests on the resurrection of Christ. I Cor 15

Why aren't we born knowing about God? Why do we have to be taught? umm. Were you born "knowing" me? Do you "know" me totally right now? Do you know me better now than you did when you were 3? How do you know anything about me from when I was a child? Is there anything you know about me because someone else told you? How about other people? Who were you born knowing? Who do you know because someone else who knew them better introduced you?

Let's take a look at Rom 1-2; Acts 17. What do you get from these about why there are many religions?

How do we know our God is the right God? Do you mean the real God? (see also John 7:17 for an important principle on a prerequisite to "knowing" )

How can I trust the Bible 100%?We trust God. Trusting God is the basis for trusting the Bible. However, we need to learn how to read the Bible and that is something we can't do all by ourselves. We learn to read the Bible in the community of the church--our own church, the church around the world, and the church down through the centuries. We must approach the reading of it humbly because God did not write it as a math textbook with everything laid out an neatly explained. He wrote it as a love letter to his people over the centuries. It has mysteries in it. It has poetry in it. It is living and the very same verse can speak to you in one way at one time in your life and another way in another time in your life. We submit ourselves to the Bible, rather than asking teh Bible to submit itself to us and the way we think it should be written.

Why can't God give hard evidence that He is there? Good grief, child! There is so much evidence...

Some possible answers within your text. Books I would recommend: Mere Christianity, A Reason for God (Tim Kimmel), Lee Strobel's books, Evidence that Demands a Verdict

I would also recommend books on the devotional life, life in the Spirit, biographies of missionaries and others. There is much "proof" out there that a teen asking such questions would probably be interested in. "Proof" is not all forensic. If I want "proof" that my husband loves me, I am looking for something different than I am if I want "proof" that a certain event happened. I would offer both kinds of "proof" on the one hand and on the other hand encourage the journey--the seeking, the longing for relationship within the principle of John 7:17, because quite often the stumbling block is there, not in the intellect.

People on the frontlines/outposts of the kingdom often see much more "proof" of God's presence in the world than Christians in the center and off the frontlines. So listening to those people on the frontlines/outposts can be reassuring, and may even draw a person to the frontlines. If the Christianity a teen sees is insulated and oriented to the status quo, it's going to be easy to explain away. It's possible (as we see in the gospels and Acts), though not particularly easy, to explain away what one sees on the frontlines.

Edited by Laurie4b

God may be teaching you patience, or God's response might be not what you want to hear. Sometimes He answers, "no."

His creation reveals Himself. The love you have in your heart reveals Him.

(See 'Priviledged Planet' DVD for more).

Because sin separates us from Him.

Most people seek ANY excuse to deny His existence. If He DOES exist, they have to deal with sin, and dis-obedience, and acting under His will rather than their own...Denial is easier for most people.

You ARE born with the knowledge that He exists. The sin-cursed world and Satan desire to confound your inate knowledge of Him.

Because Satan is loose in the world and he seeks to destroy all he can, by fooling us into false beliefs. You can have confidence in Christianity, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, because it is the ONLY faith that deals completely with the matter of your sin. All other faiths are merit-based, or deny that sin exists altogether...buy YOU know in your heart that there is sin.

He is the only God that completely dealt with our sin nature. See above.

The Bible is perfectly consistent though it was written by dozens of writers (inspired by God), over a time span of thousands of years. Its translations have been more perfect than for any other work of literature in history. Satan from day one has sought to corrupt it, destroy it, hide it and warp it, but he has failed. There has ALWAYS been a faithful Christian remnant to preserve God's true word...this could not happen by accident.

Over 300 old Testament prophecies were fulfilled by Christ's birth, ministry, crucifixion and resurrection. The odds against this happening by accident are impossible to comprehend. It has to be true. In addition it has the power to transform lives, more than anything ever written.

The trouble you are having is that there is SO MUCH evidence, it's hard to see. It's like asking a fish to describe what it is like to be wet!

Recommended reading/viewing:

Mere Christianity

Anything by Ken Ham or Kent Hovind (creation versus evolution).

DVD-Priviledged Planet

There are many great answers here. Thank you!! We do own The Priveleged Planet and will watch it again.

My son is planning on being a Zoology major and is just going through a tough time and searching for "answers." I am grateful that he is sharing his questions and expressing his doubts instead of just going along and nodding "yes ma'aam" to everything. I believe all his questioning and searching will make his faith stronger in the end.

I just want to say that I think you are right that his questioning will give him a stronger faith in the end. I experienced the same questioning period at about that same age. At one point during my Conformation classes(8th grade), I actually told my parents that I didn't believe there was a God at all. However, I continued my classes as well as my questioning, and eventually changed my mind and heart. I don't think I would have the same kind of faith now if I hadn't gone through that. He is asking some good questions, and you are doing a great job taking him seriously and helping him find answers.

My son is planning on being a Zoology major and is just going through a tough time and searching for "answers."

How wonderful that he is coming to you with his questions, that you have built the kind of relationship where he can do that! He is lucky to have you, and vice versa I am sure.

Initially I was not going to comment, knowing that others could do a far better job of it than I could, but since you said he wants to be a Zoology major, I am going to lovingly and gently suggest that you not tie faith in God to a literal understanding of the creation account too strongly. Let me explain what I mean by that.

I grew up being taught creationism, and creationism only. I went to public school in a small town Oklahoma, and evolution was not taught at all. When I went to college and studied evolution for the first time, the overwhelming evidence for it and the realization that everything I had been taught about it before was a mere straw man really hit like a ton of bricks. My brother had the same experience and it turned him into an atheist. If your son is going to major in Zoology, he *is* going to encounter evidence for evolution, and loads of it. You might consider preparing him for this by explaining to him that there are many, many faithful Christians who accept evolution.

I hope you understand that I am saying this only out of concern. My brother is still an atheist, and probably always will be. I fell away, though not primarily for that reason, but have come home again. Knowing what I do about evolution (my B.S. is in Zoology) I feel nervous at the thought of anyone hinging their faith upon creationism. My faith hinges upon the resurrection. The (no doubt many) other things that I may be wrong about - well, at least I have the hope that God will straighten me out about those later. :001_smile: I'm just trying to say, and hopefully not doing too terrible a job of it, that creation vs evolution is not a hill to die upon.

:grouphug:

Edited by GretaLynne
grammar

Something to think about here -- Adam and Eve could see, touch, and hear God. Yet they still sinned, disobeying him. And Paul tell us that Adam is a type of us, so we all sinned through their sin. In effect, each of us would have done the same thing. So perhaps this is not all it is cracked up to be.

The demons -- fallen angels -- could see touch and hear God, yet still chose to fall away and not follow Him.

The people in the time of Christ saw him and all the miracles he performed, and yet enough of them disbelieved he was God that they crucified him by popular acclaim. (Release to us Barabbas)

I wish I had questioned all these things when just a teenager and still at home, surrounded by folks who loved me.

I do not know your child..but I like to make analogies...God is not a genie, he doesn't take wishes and grant them...what He does want is a child who will Honor Him by keeping His commandments and praising Him in all that we say and do...sometimes with teens they forget that through obedience comes blessings...He gave us the greatest gift...salvation, but a personal relationship with Him is a two way street not a one way street.

Read Paul Brand's "In the Likeness of God"..the human body is incredible proof.

On this I believe you can. I have experienced distinct moments in my life where I have heard a voice...(only twice) but both were distinct and so out of context and unexpected and I immediately knew it was Him, the Holy spirit or angels..not sure..but it was clear. I have also had 'visions' of things that have happened in the future...for instance I had this vision of a tree that kept popping into my mind, I had never seen this tree/setting before..but I knew that somehow time would take me there...5 years later I get promoted to Seattle and that tree was in our backyard of the home we moved into...a tree only found in the Northwest, I grew up in the South..so had never seen it....I believe that if you have the Holy Spirit in you and God is the triune..that sometimes we get 'glimpses' of His vision for us..

the Bible has many answers to this..fools/wisdom/look how long it took people to accept that the earth was not flat! or the center of the universe!

I believe we do 'know' about God..but sin separates us as we grow...He KNEW we would need instruction so His Word has survived through thousands of years..how many other books have that longevity?

John 1:1 and many other verses tell about false religions, they've been around since sin...

Faith

We can trust the Bible 100% But how much can God trust us??

He has..Evidence that Demands a Verdict....and tons of scripture explaining the truths...

How wonderful that he is coming to you with his questions, that you have built the kind of relationship where he can do that! He is lucky to have you, and vice versa I am sure.

Initially I was not going to comment, knowing that others could do a far better job of it than I could, but since you said he wants to be a Zoology major, I am going to lovingly and gently suggest that you not tie faith in God to a literal understanding of the creation account too strongly. Let me explain what I mean by that.

I grew up being taught creationism, and creationism only. I went to public school in a small town Oklahoma, and evolution was not taught at all. When I went to college and studied evolution for the first time, the overwhelming evidence for it and the realization that everything I had been taught about it before was a mere straw man really hit like a ton of bricks. My brother had the same experience and it turned him into an atheist. If your son is going to major in Zoology, he *is* going to encounter evidence for evolution, and loads of it. You might consider preparing him for this by explaining to him that there are many, many faithful Christians who accept evolution.

I hope you understand that I am saying this only out of concern. My brother is still an atheist, and probably always will be. I fell away, though not primarily for that reason, but have come home again. Knowing what I do about evolution (my B.S. is in Zoology) I feel nervous at the thought of anyone hinging their faith upon creationism. My faith hinges upon the resurrection. The (no doubt many) other things that I may be wrong about - well, at least I have the hope that God will straighten me out about those later. :001_smile: I'm just trying to say, and hopefully not doing too terrible a job of it, that creation vs evolution is not a hill to die upon.

Okay, please don't take this as an argument, but rather as a different perspective from a different experience. I was a believer as a child, though I only went to church occasionally with my Grandma. I never had any real teaching other than just reading my children's Bible and a very occasional Sunday school class. What I did have was constant exposure and teaching on evolution in my TX public school system. By the time I went away to college, I was an agnostic/leaning atheist, in large part because I could not reconcile the Bible with evolution. Nobody ever mentioned creationism to me - I didn't know there was such a thing. I just couldn't make a mythological Genesis and the truth of Christianity fit together.

Fast forward, I'm a biology major taking a genetics class in a state university. A very brave girl asked the genetics professor a few reasonable questions in a very respectful manner, and he got very defensive. Hmmmmm. I start looking into this and looking at some creationist materials that I found (!) in the college library. I felt almost like this had been hidden from me. Perhaps that's the way you and your brother felt about evolution? I am a staunch six day creationist today. BUT - I won't send my kids into the world without being well grounded in the arguments of evolution, too; because I don't want my kids to ever feel like I hid something from them, or was too scared, or just didn't have a clue to the answers. I think that is where the real trouble lies.

How do I relay this to my son? In his mind it seemsto be one or the other. He sways back and forth from one day to the next and he doesn't know what to believe. I have told him that there are some things he will just have to accept not knowing the answer to - that he wil just have to have faith in some areas. He already knows he will be bombarded with evolution in college, which is what prompted all his "research" - he wanted to get prepared so he wouldn't get "brainwashed" (his words) by Professors who hate God. Now, because of what he has been reading he is tormented with not knowing. Part of the problem is he is getting info from Youtube and Yahooo Answers!!! Please someone tell me how I can wipe those two sites off my computer!!! Ugh! It makes me crazy that he looks to them as valid sources of information.

I have never been afraid of him learning about Evolution and we have talked about it soooo many times over the years, but truly now he is concerning me quite a bit with how obsessed he is with the whole debate. I understand he loves science and I want to encourage him in his passions, but I am truly not equipped to handle this phase and I am losing patience with his continual questioning. At some point one must accept some answers (or that there may not be an answer) but he asks a question, gets an answer and then debates that answer ad nauseum.

He told me, "Mom, don't worry I am not becoming an athiest I just have lots and lots of questions." He even said he wouldn't become a scientist if I didn't want him to! Geez. I told him I want him to do what he feels led to do and if that is being a scientist then go for it. I will just have to pray that he will be a scientist that can be used by God and one that brings Glory to Him in the scientific community. It would break my heart if he rejected God, but I know that is a very real possibility if he goes off to college still being wishy washy about what he believes. Thankfully it is still four years before he goes and for all I know he could change his mind aobut his career choice.

I have a headache now.:tongue_smilie:

I think its time to get a good apologetics study to do together! Check out answers in genesis. They have alot! Also apologia has a great world view curriculum! The first book is out, each book after will be coming out once a year!

We own about 15 of the AIG DVD's and others not put out by AIG. He recently read "Evolution: The Grand Experiment." However he is also reading some book by some obnoxious athiest. We also just got Darwin's Origin of Species because he wanted to read that. He is struggling with reading it because of the writing style and language. I tried to read it but it bores me to death.

We have DVD's The Priveleged Planet, Icons of Evolution, Unlocking the Mystery of Life and the Creatures that Defy Evolution series too. Lots of others. On the other hand he watches tons of things with evolutionary content on Discovery, Science, National Geographic etc. so he gets both sides pretty equally.

I thought about having my teen respond to the post when I first saw it.

Oh, I'm POSITIVE there has been a response and one in the best interest of the person as well. However, not always can we see or understand God's perfect ways. And it just takes time and maturity to do so.

However, we must work in conjunction to our prayers. For example, the scriptures say that if we search for God, dig as if for treasure, God will draw us to him and we will be even more drawn to him. He promises accurate knowledge is findable but we have to try to find it. Knowledge begets more appreciation, love, faith, etc.

God has given and extreme amount of proof outside the Bible. The study of science would be a good place to start. Creation demonstrates God's wisdom, power, love. It demonstrates his personality, his sense of humor, his wanting us to be pleased. Consider the mere complexity of even simple things, the fact that it is mathematically impossible for it to just have happened, what has been created by humans because it was first in nature, etc.

However, the scriptures are a history book of sort that has another extreme amount of evidence that has been shown through many years.

Part of this is the time we're living in. God has a plan set up in order to benefit people long term. As we learn and understand and come to trust that plan, we can better understand the wisdom of what may *seem* as his distance. We can also learn how else we can fully experience a relationship with him. He DOES give us evidence, touch us, and have a means of communicating with us. Sadly, the world (and even religion) has made him seem much more distant than he actually is.

Science and just about every part of life is full of times when we have some evidence and then make certain conclusions based off of them. The good thing is that we CAN look into the facts to find the truth despite misleading information by scientists or religious leaders.

In our case, we have a number of articles and publications about the subject, so we'd start there in our family. These things are free to the public so I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested.

Actually, there are MANY parts of knowing God that *are* inborn. With my own child, we'd go through the scriptures saying as much as well as discuss evidence of them being true. However, we'd also go through the information about free will and why God says things are the way they are now and how that is actually a benefit to us now and will be in the future.

This is really outlined in the first few chapters of the Bible and throughout. We'd go over the overall "story" with key scriptures. However, we also have a reference regarding the world's major religions to help us.

Additionally, NO religion has it 100% "right" because we are imperfect humans. God has progressively revealed himself from the beginning Moses knew more than Noah who knew more than Adam. The first century Christians were QUITE confused because of MAJOR shifts between God's plan and what they THOUGHT was God's plan. And so the story continued from there and keeps on. As God reveals more, we learn more and do more. In time, there will be NO doubt. One day, there will be ONE religion.

Learning and maturity as well as being honest-hearted in order to gain those will help you see.

God has protected the writings of the scriptures for sooooo many years and through an amazing amount of wild history. Reviewing that history would be helpful to see what all God made SURE the scriptures came through pretty much in tact despite Satan and his world. We have another publication regarding this but I'd probably use just the special issue that was given out a bit over a year ago because it's more condensed (though we may have to graduate up from there).

"My Bible is pretty hard" as I tap kiddo on the head with it :) Then I'd probably tap her/him on the head with a few other hard items (twig, puppy paw, etc). We are REALLY playful. However, I really think this question goes with a couple up above. We'd discuss things like scripture and creation and such.

Mostly, I'd encourage kiddo to actively search. Beg God in prayer for help and then open the Bible. We would, as mentioned above, use aids that used science and history and scripture, but God says to dig as if for treasure and I'd encourage that.

Of course, in our case, we study a good bit and we're trying to implement a REGULAR (key word) Family Bible study that is formal. Sure, we talk about God regularly and we are all studying so will discuss what we learn, study for meetings, etc. But I do believe we should do a formal study as a family and do so EVERY single week. It's a good goal to have.

Regardless, it just won't be overnight. And what ends up happening may be MUCH different than some people would expect (and different than other people would agree with). Part of the growth process is being open to truth. It's easy to have our "ears tickled" and to listen to moving music and to parrot scripture. It's a lot different to be like the apostles and be willing to find and hold on to truth even if its considerably different than you expected. But the benefits are awesome and will be even more so soon.

Oh my...not gonna add to THAT book....but...

I scrolled up a little and saw the discussion about zoology. I don't think that studying science is a worry AT.ALL. MY study of science has just deepened my faith in God! I had a teacher one time and she was going over the magnificence of the human eye. She was obviously in awe as anyone who truly studied would be, I think. Anyway, and I was just screaming inside, "can't you SEE?" And our publications have at least some science in them every month (sometimes whole issues are about a segment of science). I really think studying science is a must especially if you want to deepen your faith in God!

OH....and...

Questions are okay. Some faiths teach that questioning is lack of faith and is wrong. However, the scriptures show otherwise. Some wise men used by God questioned things they saw. God didn't chastise them but instead helped them and their faith and actions were strengthened even further.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I have a different story. My girls were watching The Nature of Earth, a geoscience class by a non believer, as far as I know watching his comments, from the Teaching Company. The girls talked back to the DVD plenty of times but yesterday was interesting. It was about life on other planets and is Earth special. He talked about all sorts of crazy theories about the universe and then got to conditions for Earth and are they replicated anywhere else. The point was that they are probably not the same anywhere else and we are probably the only intelligent life. The professor didn't see this as evidence of God but we sure did. A helpful book along these lines of how unique Earth is for sustaining life by a believer who came to inquire about God because of these scientific facts is by Dr. Hugh Ross, The Creator and the Cosmos.

I have a different story. My girls were watching The Nature of Earth, a geoscience class by a non believer, as far as I know watching his comments, from the Teaching Company. The girls talked back to the DVD plenty of times but yesterday was interesting. It was about life on other planets and is Earth special. He talked about all sorts of crazy theories about the universe and then got to conditions for Earth and are they replicated anywhere else. The point was that they are probably not the same anywhere else and we are probably the only intelligent life. The professor didn't see this as evidence of God but we sure did. A helpful book along these lines of how unique Earth is for sustaining life by a believer who came to inquire about God because of these scientific facts is by Dr. Hugh Ross, The Creator and the Cosmos.

I will add this book to the list. Thanks!

Also Pamela, thanks for your great responses too!

How do I relay this to my son? In his mind it seemsto be one or the other.

I am considering starting a spin-off thread about this topic, to ask all the knowledgeable homeschoolers here about resources for "theistic evolution". Would that be alright? I bet some here would know about some good stuff that might take me days to find. My only source of info on the topic has been my priest and fellow parishioners, and a Bible study at my church in which we discussed Genesis. That doesn't do your son much good! But I can describe, generally, what we talked about.

The leader of my Bible study said that his view is that the creation account is not meant to teach us *how* creation happened, but to teach us about our relationship with God.

My priest has told me that his view is that somewhere along the course of the evolution of our ancestors, God stepped in, came to us and endowed us with what it is that makes us human, changed us to fit his image, and offered us a life of communion with Him (which sadly was rejected). And of course he also believes that God is the one who started the whole process. Wherever there are "gaps" in the fossil record - he said he believes that's where God is. He has been present throughout all of it, guiding and directing it, but there was a particular point where he came to us, endowed us with reason and sentience, and offered us a relationship with Him. That's what Genesis is about.

Another fellow parishioner once said, actually talking about a different topic entirely, that science is the search for truth, and the Church and the Bible has revealed to us the truth, so they don't conflict. They are both true. I think that's the basic idea that a scientist who is a Christian will be working from - science is one method for better understanding the universe that God created. God is indeed the author of *all* things, including evolution, physics, geology, chemistry, ecology, etc.

I know that some people have a hard time reconciling the idea that death could have happened before the Fall. I don't know much about this - it doesn't seem particularly troubling to me so I haven't looked into it a lot. I'm hoping that's where someone else on the boards could jump in and help us. For me personally, I know of my own need for repentance very strongly. And I guess I understand the Fall, not in an intellectual way but on a very visceral level, because of that.

he wanted to get prepared so he wouldn't get "brainwashed" (his words) by Professors who hate God.
He'll probably encounter atheist profs, yes. He'll probably encounter Christian ones too. In one of my earliest Zoology classes, comparative vertebrate anatomy, I distinctly remember the prof telling us on the first day of class that he was a devout Christian and an evolutionary scientist, and for him there was absolutely no conflict between the two. And this was a big state school, not a private Christian school. So I don't think it will be as bad as he fears.

But, that said, I wonder if reading stories of the saints, people who were persecuted most bitterly for their faith, might help strengthen him? I know I find them very uplifting and inspiring.

I will just have to pray that he will be a scientist that can be used by God and one that brings Glory to Him in the scientific community.
Absolutely! That is my prayer for him as well.

I have a headache now.:tongue_smilie:
I'm sorry! :grouphug:

Okay' date=' please don't take this as an argument, but rather as a different perspective from a different experience.[/quote']

I completely understand, because that was exactly my intention as well - to share a perspective not start an argument. :)

Perhaps that's the way you and your brother felt about evolution? I am a staunch six day creationist today. BUT - I won't send my kids into the world without being well grounded in the arguments of evolution, too; because I don't want my kids to ever feel like I hid something from them, or was too scared, or just didn't have a clue to the answers. I think that is where the real trouble lies.

Yes, absolutely. I'm certainly not accusing the OP of this at all. Just saying that everything my brothers and I were taught about evolution truly was the most pitiful of straw men. It's really not doing your children any kind of favors at all to do that to them. I do think there is value in teaching different perspectives (not just on this topic), and using resources written by a person who holds that perspective - not just resources written about a perspective by people who oppose that perspective. Okay, that was a terrible sentence. I've had too much coffee this morning. :D

How do I relay this to my son? In his mind it seemsto be one or the other. He sways back and forth from one day to the next and he doesn't know what to believe. I have told him that there are some things he will just have to accept not knowing the answer to - that he wil just have to have faith in some areas. He already knows he will be bombarded with evolution in college, which is what prompted all his "research" - he wanted to get prepared so he wouldn't get "brainwashed" (his words) by Professors who hate God.

While it is common for teens to have black-and-white thinking, it will not help him along in life. Your son needs to let go of the idea that everyone who believes in evolution HATES God because it is simply not true. I would take serious offense if someone said that to me simply because I have a different view on how to interpret parts of the Bible (Truth, poetic language, but not necessarily linear history.) This type of thinking polarizes Christians against each other and does not further God's kingdom.

Now, because of what he has been reading he is tormented with not knowing. Part of the problem is he is getting info from Youtube and Yahooo Answers!!! Please someone tell me how I can wipe those two sites off my computer!!! Ugh! It makes me crazy that he looks to them as valid sources of information.

I would have a talk with him about the fact that there are some people who have an axe to grind against Christians and their writings will definitely be inflamatory. My son went through a similar journey (but different) where he was visiting sites that slammed all Christians "in the name of science." This was prompted by an encounter with someone who told him he was going to hell since he did not believe in a literal 6 day creation. I had to show him that this was not healthy to obsess over this debate. I showed him that there were scientists who were Christians, some on the young earth side of the debate and many who were not. There was no need to abandon faith in God over a difference in interpretation of the Bible. Granted, where we fall in this debate is different than yours, but it is a good think to have some questioning - questioning brings growth. However, obsessing does not lead to growth.

I know that some people have a hard time reconciling the idea that death could have happened before the Fall. I don't know much about this - it doesn't seem particularly troubling to me so I haven't looked into it a lot.

It is trouble to me because the Bible says explictly that death came into the world because of Sin (Genesis 2:16-17, Romans 5:12). And we need a Savior because of sin (Romans 5:15-17). Death before Sin contradicts the Bible and our need for a Savior.

Romans 5:15-17

But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. 16And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Romans 8:22

Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Incidentally, in the verses about Creation they have plants being created on day 3 (Gen 1:11-13) and the Sun not coming into existence until day 4 (Gen 1:14-19). I can see plants surviving one day without Sun -- but thousands or millions of years...?

Which brings up something else. Gen 1:31 "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

If death is the consequence of sin, and death was in the world at this point, how could it be very good?

It is trouble to me because the Bible says explictly that death came into the world because of Sin (Genesis 2:16-17, Romans 5:12). And we need a Savior because of sin (Romans 5:15-17). Death before Sin contradicts the Bible and our need for a Savior.

Romans 5:15-17

But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. 16And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Romans 8:22

Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Incidentally, in the verses about Creation they have plants being created on day 3 (Gen 1:11-13) and the Sun not coming into existence until day 4 (Gen 1:14-19). I can see plants surviving one day without Sun -- but thousands or millions of years...?

Which brings up something else. Gen 1:31 "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

If death is the consequence of sin, and death was in the world at this point, how could it be very good?

You make some interesting points. This is a video I came across that addresses this topic. http://vimeo.com/13634758

It is trouble to me because...

I understand, I truly do. I know this is a big concern for many people. I apologize if I came across the wrong way. I was not trying to say that it's unimportant. I was trying to say simply that it is something that I personally would not be able to help the OP with, and I hope that others will. *I* have not looked into it yet because I very recently became a Christian and I feel that I have so much to learn so many areas to grow. This one is just not one of my priorities at the moment. I know about the need for repentance in a very personal and real way, and I am working on that first and foremost. I hope this makes sense, and I apologize again if what I said sounded flippant - I assure you that was not my intention.

While it is common for teens to have black-and-white thinking, it will not help him along in life. Your son needs to let go of the idea that everyone who believes in evolution HATES God because it is simply not true. I would take serious offense if someone said that to me simply because I have a different view on how to interpret parts of the Bible (Truth, poetic language, but not necessarily linear history.) This type of thinking polarizes Christians against each other and does not further God's kingdom.

I would have a talk with him about the fact that there are some people who have an axe to grind against Christians and their writings will definitely be inflamatory. My son went through a similar journey (but different) where he was visiting sites that slammed all Christians "in the name of science." This was prompted by an encounter with someone who told him he was going to hell since he did not believe in a literal 6 day creation. I had to show him that this was not healthy to obsess over this debate. I showed him that there were scientists who were Christians, some on the young earth side of the debate and many who were not. There was no need to abandon faith in God over a difference in interpretation of the Bible. Granted, where we fall in this debate is different than yours, but it is a good think to have some questioning - questioning brings growth. However, obsessing does not lead to growth.

My son does not think all evolutionists hate God, he was literally referring to Professors who indeed hate God - they are out there. Dawkins comes to mind. He has two very good friends that are Christians that believe God put evolution in motion - it isn't those people he struggles with and he may decide that is easiest for him to believe. Right now he literally seems to be struggling with "if evolution is true there is no God" - although he doesn't say that and tries to reassure me he isn't becoming an athiest.

I understand, I truly do. I know this is a big concern for many people. I apologize if I came across the wrong way. I was not trying to say that it's unimportant. I was trying to say simply that it is something that I personally would not be able to help the OP with, and I hope that others will. *I* have not looked into it yet because I very recently became a Christian and I feel that I have so much to learn so many areas to grow. This one is just not one of my priorities at the moment. I know about the need for repentance in a very personal and real way, and I am working on that first and foremost. I hope this makes sense, and I apologize again if what I said sounded flippant - I assure you that was not my intention.

I don't think you've been flippant! Actually, you are one of the few non-young earthers that I feel I can have a discussion with about this. :001_smile:

I don't think you've been flippant! Actually' date=' you are one of the few non-young earthers that I feel I can have a discussion with about this. :001_smile:[/quote']

Oh, thank you so much! You brightened my day. You see, this is a pretty new development for me. I have been so passionately and adamantly evolutionist that I have done a LOUSY job in the past with these sorts of conversations. I was intolerant and judgmental, no two ways about it. But my faith is moderating me, and hopefully even maturing me a bit. :001_smile: Only by the grace of God.

You've had some very helpful answers, and while I can't add anything that directly addresses his specific questions, I would point out to him that what he is having is a crisis of faith. Something that almost every person of faith has experienced to some degree or other. A crisis of faith is the impetus for one to study, explore, pray, question, discuss. He should be encouraged in his questioning, and given a sounding board along with the assurance that *he* is the one that needs ultimately to come up the answers. Of course, reading and listening to others' answers certainly may be part of the journey.

Additionally, he may need some more skills in evaluating arguments. How to Read a Book by Adler has been very helpful to me in this, specifically in identifying the 4 steps in reading a book for understanding.

On the subject of "strengthening faith" does anyone have any recommended bible studies for teens that can guide in this area?

One thing I have already suggested to my son is to read the bible beginning to end just like he reads other novels. He has never done that. I know for me reading it like that was very helpful - rather than picking verses, books and chapters here and there.

My son does not think all evolutionists hate God, he was literally referring to Professors who indeed hate God - they are out there. Dawkins comes to mind. He has two very good friends that are Christians that believe God put evolution in motion - it isn't those people he struggles with and he may decide that is easiest for him to believe. Right now he literally seems to be struggling with "if evolution is true there is no God" - although he doesn't say that and tries to reassure me he isn't becoming an athiest.

Get him some Aquinas.

a

Two book recommendations:

13 Things That Don't Make Sense, the author is not a Christian, but your ds will enjoy reading about (or hearing from you, this book is pretty huge) those "things that don't make sense" in science today. Evolution is covered (he points out some holes in survival of the fittest for instance), as well as life, death, conciousness, and a ton of other stuff. What's really interesting is seeing how those holes are things that Christians already know the answers to.

More Than a Carpenter. This book came to me right when I needed it. It's a quick read, but follows the same trails as "Mere Christianity." I read this before I read Lewis' book and I'm glad I started here. It's very to the point and I felt 'ready' for C.S.Lewis after reading this. This was a great faith strengthener for me, it is very logical and answers the question "Is Jesus the only way" very well (imo).

Edited by lionfamily1999

Answers from a liberal Christian. Conservative is not the only way to believe. ;)

Timeframes on prayer are complicated. I believe in God and prayer, but there have been times when my prayers seemed to go unanswered. Later, sometimes a lot later, I've seen them answered. Often those times the answers are not what I'd expect. I have, at times, recorded my prayers and answers and this has helped deepen my faith.

Some people meditate, get in touch with their higher self, get centered, get quiet. I believe these are all forms of prayer.

There are other spiritual disciplines that you might want to learn about: fasting, mindfulness, solitude, etc.

I believe there is proof. I believe *I* am proof; I have been recovered from alcohohism for 19 years, from the moment I asked for his help and followed the instructions from people on earth who I believe he guided.

There is provable history from the Bible.

Have you ever felt close to him or felt his presence? If so, what were the circumstances? If not, it could be that you haven't had situations in which his presence was "loud" enough for you.

It's also ok, normal and expected that people wonder. Many people go through months or years of not "feeling" God.

I believe God created whatever science is behind this universe. I don't believe that Creationism is the only way to be a Christian. In fact, I believe that Creationism includes some pseudo-science.

There are many, many Christians who believe the Bible is true but not literal. They therefore believe that the creation story is a metaphor.

I believe we *are* born knowing. As we grow and develop, we separate and have to learn, study, research and develop a vocabulary for knowing him. I also think we need to recognize our need for him.

I believe God calls us, woos us, wants us not for his own glory (he doesn't need it). He wants us for our own good. He wants connection with us because his guidance, love and wisdom helps our life on earth. I believe that Christianity is 100% true. I also believe that other spiritual settings are true. I don't embrace exclusionary doctrine the way some Christians do. I believe many world religions have God - they call him by a different name.

For me, it would be a cruel, mocking, cynical, sick God who excluded people from his kingdom and communion because of their geography, culture, or experience.

See above.

I believe that the Bible is True, truth, and trustworthy. I just don't believe it is a literal story from start to finish. I don't need Jonah to have been swallowed by a fish to know "obey God" is truth.

I believe he has, many millions of times. What gets confusing, even to me sometimes, is when I see evidence that is contrary to what I believe God wants. I see poverty, famine, molestation, violence, drugs. I believe that is free-will and that God is crying for those choices.

On the subject of "strengthening faith" does anyone have any recommended bible studies for teens that can guide in this area?

One thing I have already suggested to my son is to read the bible beginning to end just like he reads other novels. He has never done that. I know for me reading it like that was very helpful - rather than picking verses, books and chapters here and there.

If you want him to read from beginning to end, I'd recommend a chronological Bible like the Narrated Bible. It condenses some parts of Scripture (such as duplicate accounts in Kings and Chronicles) and orders other parts chronologically.

Answers from a liberal Christian. Conservative is not the only way to believe. ;)

Timeframes on prayer are complicated. I believe in God and prayer, but there have been times when my prayers seemed to go unanswered. Later, sometimes a lot later, I've seen them answered. Often those times the answers are not what I'd expect. I have, at times, recorded my prayers and answers and this has helped deepen my faith.

Some people meditate, get in touch with their higher self, get centered, get quiet. I believe these are all forms of prayer.

There are other spiritual disciplines that you might want to learn about: fasting, mindfulness, solitude, etc.

I believe there is proof. I believe *I* am proof; I have been recovered from alcohohism for 19 years, from the moment I asked for his help and followed the instructions from people on earth who I believe he guided.

Have you ever felt close to him or felt his presence? If so, what were the circumstances? If not, it could be that you haven't had situations in which his presence was "loud" enough for you.

It's also ok, normal and expected that people wonder. Many people go through months or years of not "feeling" God.

I believe God created whatever science is behind this universe. I don't believe that Creationism is the only way to be a Christian. In fact, I believe that Creationism includes some pseudo-science.

There are many, many Christians who believe the Bible is true but not literal. They therefore believe that the creation story is a metaphor.

I believe we *are* born knowing. As we grow and develop, we separate and have to learn, study, research and develop a vocabulary for knowing him. I also think we need to recognize our need for him.

I believe God calls us, woos us, wants us not for his own glory (he doesn't need it). He wants us for our own good. He wants connection with us because his guidance, love and wisdom helps our life on earth. I believe that Christianity is 100% true. I also believe that other spiritual settings are true. I don't embrace exclusionary doctrine the way some Christians do. I believe many world religions have God - they call him by a different name.

For me, it would be a cruel, mocking, cynical, sick God who excluded people from his kingdom and communion because of their geography, culture, or experience.

See above.

I believe that the Bible is True, truth, and trustworthy. I just don't believe it is a literal story from start to finish. I don't need Jonah to have been swallowed by a fish to know "obey God" is truth.

I believe he has, many millions of times. What gets confusing, even to me sometimes, is when I see evidence that is contrary to what I believe God wants. I see poverty, famine, molestation, violence, drugs. I believe that is free-will and that God is crying for those choices.

Joanne, your answers are very articulate and have really made me think. Thank you for expressing your views here.

~M

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis would answer most of these questions. His thinking is so clear and convincing,and it's not a long book. It says we are born with some knowledge of God and his laws, and goes quite into detail about our faith and what faith means....it doesn't mean we don't have doubts sometimes.

You have already been given so many wonderful answers, but I thought I would give you one more. I would have him sit down and read the 16th chapter of the book of John. Then maybe some time alone to ponder. If he was raised as a Christian, then he probably already knows the answers to all those questions. He needs to let the Holy Spirit fill him and guide him. :grouphug: It's always wonderful to "meet" fellow Christian parents. I will include your family in my prayers tonight. Our children are still small, so this isn't a bridge we've had to cross yet.

You have received excellent responses from many PPs. I will try to give some responses to help your son to think about these issues from a little different perspective.
One thing that I think many believers overlook here is that God has ALREADY answered their prayers by providing detailed instructions about how to live including many different areas of life, such as money, relationships, dealing with adversity, and building faith. I think that in many cases, no further answer to prayer is necessary. For instance, if we want to build faith, the Bible teaches us to study his Word.
The best reference I know of which spells out a LARGE number of evidences (not proofs, see several comments below) for creation is In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood. This book is fully online (in a previous edition, so a few of the items are dated), and it includes a massive amount of reference material. The author prefers to quote evolutionists in his discussions, if possible, which makes the arguments that much more compelling. The references often include the direct quotes from the reference materials, so I recommend that you read ALL the references for each area of evidence, since that is more interesting than the book in many cases. In Part I of this book, he will find many, many evidences against evolution and for creation from life sciences, astronomy and physical sciences as well as from Earth sciences. If nothing else, your son should read these to find out about the breadth of the body of evidence for creation and hence a creator.
Please see my last comment regarding why God does not blatantly reveal himself to us. Also, please let your son know that while some people have had experiences that they believe were with or of God, I think most people have not. I do not believe I have ever seen, touched or heard God directly. (I also do not discredit anyone who claims to have had such experiences.) However, I do sometimes feel I am being led by the Holy Spirit. In my case, I have a sensation of a sort of "welling up" in my chest. I have come to trust that particular feeling and to follow it where it leads me.
To me, this question, in itself, is loaded, since it assumes that evolution is not true. In fact, it is observable in the laboratory that mutations can occur in an organism which provide that mutated organism a functional advantage in some environments. The result is that natural selection causes these mutated individuals to better survive in some environments than the non-mutated versions. So I would say the answer is that many people accept evolution because it IS true.

The controversy surrounding evolution revolves around the question of whether or not this combination of mutation and natural selection can be EXTRAPOLATED from the very limited changes that are observable in nature to produce the very large differences which we see between different species on Earth by allowing for a large amount of time for things to happen. At this point, we are no longer in the realm of operational science, where experiments can be performed and repeated and tested, but have moved into the field of forensic science in which we are trying to predict what has happened in the past.

This is where religious beliefs on both sides of the argument come into play:

- If you have a religious belief that there is no Creator, this view will lead you to the "obvious" conclusion that the tiny evolution we see in the laboratory today explains the large differences when one considers that large amounts of time were available for these changes to occur. There are strong, technical arguments against this belief, some of which are included in the videos you have mentioned owning. If your son has not already read it, I strongly recommend Michael Behe's book Darwin's Black Box. It will introduce him to the complex world of biochemistry and will give him an idea of why this is not a trivial debate.

Also, this belief suffers from the serious problem that Darwinian evolution does not and can not explain where life on Earth came from in the first place. Without life to start from, there can be no Darwinian evolution. There is a scientific law called the Law of Biogenesis (which, interestingly, is no longer included in textbooks) which states that life only comes from life. This remains a scientific law since no one has ever observed life coming from non-life. Any belief that life comes from non-life is purely a religious belief and it has no basis in science. Even Richard Dawkins does not believe that life on Earth came from non-life, but seems to believe that it came here from outer space.

- If you have a religious belief that there is a Creator there tend to be two camps of belief: Young-Earth creationists believe that the timeline spelled out in the Bible is literal and that the Earth is about 6000 years old and that God created all of the "parent" species of all species (for instance, most scientists agree that all dog species descended from a single, or small number of, species some thousands of years ago) either living or in the fossil record that we see on Earth today. The strongest arguments against young-Earth creationism is that we can see stars that are 75 billion years away and we observe a large amount of radioactive decay in some isotopes found in rocks on the Earth, which tends to indicate long times have elapsed. Old-Earth creationists believe that God created life and that evolution was involved over long periods of time in the creation of the different species we see today, either with God's help or without.

There are theories in place in all camps to defend (ultimately) the underlying beliefs, but the fact is that we are still dealing in the realm of forensic science here. Even if one (or all) of the camps can produce evidence that it COULD have happened the way they describe, it will NEVER be PROOF that it did happen that way. While it seems it might be possible to DISPROVE one or the other of the beliefs, that also is not such a simple task, since all *appear* to have some fatal flaws when looked at carefully, at least by the opposite camp.

In the end, your son will need to decide what he believes. But I do not think it is a purely scientific decision for anyone. Your beliefs about God, about the Bible and your knowledge and beliefs about the credibility of various scientific evidence will color which way you lean.

Regarding the issue of studying zoology in college, I agree with PP who said this is not an issue. Your son can study at a university in which the professors share his belief if he so desires. He needs to be aware that at every university there will be a belief system in place and they will teach the science and promote the beliefs which suit them best.

Part of the problem here is that we are sinful from the moment we are conceived:

Psalm 51:5:

5Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

My absolute favorite answer to this question is contained within Me, the Professor, Fuzzy and the Meaning of Life. This is a cartoon book which he can read in less than two hours, but it is the most direct and most complete answer to this question which I have found anywhere.
Please see above.
Only by faith, but I do not recommend "blind" faith, since that type of faith will not stand up to strong testing. He must test the Bible by careful study of what it says and comparing that with the reality that he observes. Only through testing the Bible will he know its truths are real. One type of test which I consider to be quite important is to obey the commands provided in the Bible and pay attention to see that the promises included will follow. This is easier said than done, but it is best to start with commands that you are prepared to follow in your current walk with the Lord. I think each of us is proven the truth of the Bible in a way which personally works best for us.
One good way to address this question is to turn this around and ask your son to put himself in God's shoes (not an easy task!). Now, as an omniscient, omnipotent God, he would like to create beings who are capable of participating in a loving relationship with him. What would he need to do in order to pull off such a task? Once you have given him this task, you may (or may not) need to prod him with some leading questions to help him along, such as: Would these created beings need to have free will? No? Then wouldn't they just be your puppets? Now once they have fee will, how obvious can you make your existence without effectively removing their ability to reject you? etc.

Guest janainaz

See above.

love what you said

• 2 weeks later...