Menu

Can you suggest fillings for 'Vegetarian Homemade Hot Pockets'?

So my dsd has decided to become a vegetarian. While dh and I don't 'agree' with this decision, it's not like we could, or would, force her to eat meat.

However, dh has said in no uncertain terms that I am not to buy any 'special' foods for dsd. To dh, that would mean: no buying things like veggie burgers, tofu, anything specifically marketed as a 'vegetarian alternative' to something we usually eat, etc. (FWIW, this is the same reaction dsd received at her mother's house. Her mom isn't supportive either. In fact, I get the impression that mom is annoyed by it, and will NOT be fixing any special foods at all.)

We're trying to walk the fine line of accepting her decision even though we don't support it. If that makes sense, LOL.

Anyway, this was not meant to be a post debating vegetarianism; I really, REALLY don't want to do that. ;)

However.

I still want my dsd to EAT, you know? She's a thin girl as it is; if she lost as little as 5 pounds, it would be quite noticeable. Plus, I want her to be healthy. She is a big eater of fruits and veggies, and has long made good food choices on her own. But, I grew up in a meat eatin' family. I mean, I serve fruit and veggies at every meal, but we eat meat, oh, I'd say at least 5 dinners a week. Usually boneless skinless chicken; but sometimes fish, pork, or beef. All of a sudden, I feel lost on how to make sure she has tasty, healthy food choices, that won't annoy my dh. :D And honestly, I'd love to have some new meatless dinner ideas for the WHOLE family.

Now to the point of my post...

I've decided to make up a big batch of homemade hot pockets. Basically, my standard bread roll dough, cut into rectangles, stuffed with, well, whatever. I've got plenty of ideas for the meat eaters. But I'd like to make some that dsd would eat, too.

I'm making a breakfast version as well, using biscuit dough stuffed with eggs, roasted garlic rosemary potatoes, and cheese. She'll love those, for sure! But I need lunch-type filling ideas, that don't contain meat. She eats eggs and dairy; I'm sorry, I don't know the correct term for that. Is it ovo-lacto vegetarian?

So throw some ideas at me, ladies! And, if you could include directions on how to cook the filling before I put it in the dough, that would be great.

I'm thinking she'd like carmelized onions; but what do I put in with that? I found a vague recipe while googling, which had me combining 'roasted veggies' and ricotta cheese. Well, that sounds good. But *what roasted veggies? Asparagus? Brussel sprouts? What?!

I've got nothing to add, but -

I was thinking about the Homemade Hot Pockets idea (I think you floated it in another thread) yesterday - I'm going to share this with my dd17 who will LOVE it!

As to roasted veggies - how about roast pepper, mushrooms, zucchini? I'm just thinking what I like to put on the grill. I wonder if you could grill veggies, then put them in the pockets?

Great idea, girl!

Edited by HeatherH
oooh! Didn't realize that kind of mushrooms was a swear word! Yikes!

I've got nothing to add, but -

I was thinking about the Homemade Hot Pockets idea (I think you floated it in another thread) yesterday - I'm going to share this with my dd17 who will LOVE it!

As to roasted veggies - how about roast pepper, mushrooms, zucchini? I'm just thinking what I like to put on the grill. I wonder if you could grill veggies, then put them in the pockets?

Great idea, girl!

Yum, grilling the veggies is a great idea...

I'm sure excited to try making the Hot Pockets. I thought baking powder biscuit dough would work good for breakfast ones, and my standard yeast roll dough would work good for lunch ones. We'll see how it goes. I think the breakfast ones will be especially good for dsd and dss once they start back to school. They get up so early, and they could just take these in the car and eat them on the way.

:lurk5: What a yummy idea! I am eager to hear what others will share, I'd like to try this myself. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for your dsd to have some cooking lessons. She can learn how to prepare her own meals and not upset the plans of the main meal planners in her households.

For lunch, I think mushrooms, bell peppers and mozarella/provalone cheese would be good with carmelized onions. Another combo might be black beans, tomatoes, onions and cheddar. Cottage/ricotta cheese with tomatoes, veggies in tomato sauce. Or go Greek, with spinach like spanikopida. I think the combinations are easier to come up with when you think of various ethnic foods. Or, what you like in an omelette or on a pizza.

Fun idea!

I am about to make 3 or 4 spinach lasagnas to freeze - you could translate into hot pockets instead of using noodles.

Cooked chopped spinach

Mozzarella cheese

Parmesan Cheese

Spaghetti sauce

Cottage cheese

Italian seasoning

I add eggs to the cheese mixture, but don't know if your dsd is willing to eat eggs or not. Most cheese eaters will eat eggs (lacto-ovo vegetarians). ETA - missed that she's will to eat eggs. That will make things easier!

DH is a recovering vegetarian - we still eat a hybrid diet so that he doesn't have to eat meat if he doesn't want to. I will add seasoned browned ground beef to some servings of lasagna for DD and me, leave DH's meat-free.

Other ideas:

roasted veggies with cheese and rice. ETA - roast anything - onion, sweet potatoes and bell peppers are popular here, roasted with olive oil, salt, garlic, and pepper. Chop into bite size pieces and roast till tender but not mushy - undercook a little since you'll be cooking again in the pocket. The cheese just helps to make a complete® protein for you dsd, but I'm not sure if she'll like it. Maybe just a little shredded cheddar or mozzarella sprinkled over to add some flavor?

Try green beans, tomatoes, a little onion for something different.

pizza sauce, basil, mozzarella (a margherita pizza in a pocket)

cooked sliced squash (or zucchini) with cheese and salt/pepper/garlic (a squash casserole in a pocket)

Good luck!

Edited by Hopscotch67

That seems a rather harsh stand to take...no tofu (which is cheap & easy to use) no veggies burgers etc, which our entire house of omnivores love. Could you buy her portebello mushrooms so she could have a mushroom burger instead of a meat one? Or are Portabello mushrooms 'special'? This doesn't sound like it is going to be very pleasant. Maybe encourage dh to pick his battles carefully?

You can put cheese and broc or cheese and tomatoes in a hot pocket. Rice & other vegs, too. Why hot pockets? You can buy regular hot pockets without meat, after all. Cheese and bean burritos, too. If you always make hot pockets, just add everything but meat to hers.

Edited by LibraryLover

That seems a rather harsh stand to take...no tofu (which is cheap & easy to use) no veggies burgers etc, which our entire house of omnivores love. Could you buy her portebello mushrooms so she could have a mushroom burger instead of a meat one? Or are Portabello mushrooms 'special'? This doesn't sound like it is going to be very pleasant. Maybe encourage dh to pick his battles carefully?

You can put cheese and broc or cheese and tomatoes in a hot pocket. Rice & other vegs, too. Why hot pockets? You can buy regular hot pockets without meat, after all. Cheese and bean burritos, too. If you always make hot pockets, just add everything but meat to hers.

Tofu sprinkles are easy to find and use - just season and brown like regular ground beef and add.

I understand not wanting to become a short order cook and catering to every whim, and I don't know how strongly held this desire to be vegetarian is for your dsd, but the tofu sprinkles are a good way to make sure she gets protein. I find them in the frozen section of the grocery store pretty easily.

Good luck finding balance!

Edited by Hopscotch67
can't type today!!

One thing I'd watch out for with the veggies is that they can be pretty moist, and it's a nuisance when liquid leaks out of your hot pocket. One thing that helps, imo, is to add an ingredient (like rice) that can help absorb some of the liquid with veggies that might leak moisture, like zucchini, or lots & lots of mushrooms.

You can make this fun and educational! Buy a few 'new' things for the whole family to try. How about teaching her foods that contain protein, for example...like hemp seeds and beans, or about good fats like coconut oil and avocados. Take plain almonds and show her how to make nut milk if she wants to try that. Let her make a special dinner salad for the whole family, which includes every food group. This could be a special kitchen sharing time for you both, and could provide lots of dinnertime discussion!

eta: Oh yes, your question LOL...How about roasting a peeled eggplant, onions, red pepper, mushroom, and garlic cloves. A marvelous Italian flavor for hot pockets.

Edited by Blueridge

Will she eat fish, dairy, eggs, nuts, and beans?

Dd has been a vegetarian for a couple of years now. I do try to cook 2 of the same meal around here. IOW, I make a meat chili and a meatless chili. I make spaghetti and cook the Italian sausage on the side.

Some nights dd is on her own and eggs or frozen bean and cheese burritoes are almost always available.

Lots of egg, veggie, and cheese casserole type dishes are good for fall/winter, and hearty soups (the kind with beans, rice, or barley added) with breads and muffins are also good.

HTH

You know, tofu doesn't imply vegetarian. It's included in many meat dishes in asian cooking. I know you don't want to get into it, but I just wanted to try for a fellow vegetarian. :D

IF you used tofu, (:)) I would make breakfast pies by making tofu scramble, and adding other yummy stuff in.

I'd make a spinach/feta one, and an indian one with various combos of veggies and beans.

Here's a company that makes veg pockets:http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=8

hth

Edited by helena

So my dsd has decided to become a vegetarian. While dh and I don't 'agree' with this decision, it's not like we could, or would, force her to eat meat.

However, dh has said in no uncertain terms that I am not to buy any 'special' foods for dsd. To dh, that would mean: no buying things like veggie burgers, tofu, anything specifically marketed as a 'vegetarian alternative' to something we usually eat, etc. (FWIW, this is the same reaction dsd received at her mother's house. Her mom isn't supportive either. In fact, I get the impression that mom is annoyed by it, and will NOT be fixing any special foods at all.)

snip

Everything below is meant with a kind heart, though I realize some of it may sound a bit harsh. I'm sorry if it does, but there are some points I wanted to make, and I have a limited amount of time to post. Most of what I have to say is in reference to your dh; I understand that you are willing to be more supportive (as evidenced by this post trying to get recipe ideas!).

This is one of those situations where you get to show your daughter what type of parent you want to be. Do you want her to feel that her decisions have worth or that it's ok for others to undermine them? I remember some similar situations as a child where my parents didn't support or actively undermined me, and having lived through that has made me sure that I want to not do that to my children.

Your dh doesn't want you to buy any meat substitutes or tofu. Since your dh is not supportive of this, I imagine that he also wouldn't be on board with you cooking healthy veggie meals for the whole family that include a veggie protein source like beans, right? If these are true, then what is your growing daughter supposed to do for protein?

If she subsists largely on side dishes that tend to not be very high in protein, then she runs the risk of not getting enough protein. I understand that you and your dh don't approve of her being vegetarian, but at what point do we need to respect (and support) our children's choices when they don't really hurt us? Your daughter is taking an ethical/moral stand. It's not the one your family as a whole has taken, but thinking about what is right and wrong is usually something we try to encourage in our children, right? What is the purpose of being so non-supportive of her diet choice when it's not that difficult to help her?

It's easy enough to buy some tofu, beans, and/or meat substitutes and throw those in a portion of what you cook. She's old enough to help you cook and to do at least some of the work to prepare a protein for herself when the family is having meat. It doesn't have to be a big inconvenience for you.

For the hot pockets, I think you've gotten some good ideas. Honestly, though, a lot of them have very little protein, and I'd be concerned that they wouldn't be filling long enough as a lunch. Cheese provides protein, but too much of it is not such a great thing either. Tofu crumbles or texturized vegetable (or soy) protein (TVP or TSP) is really easy to add to a sauce or soup; it cooks almost instantly; and it provides a good non-meat source of protein. What about some Mexican-style pockets with beans, cheese, salsa, and veggies? Or throw some chickpeas in with an Italian-style one - cheese, pasta or pizza sauce, and chickpeas would be yummy.

If you decide to use more beans or the TVP/TSP, extra stores easily in the freezer. If you rinse beans and freeze them flat in sandwich bags (a single layer of beans), it's easy to break off just 1/4 cup or whatever you need.

Nice try. But trust me, tofu is out. :)

It's obviously not about buying cheap tofu. He seems to be creating a fight where there doesn't need to be one. Is there a reason he is being so controlling about this? This will do nothing for their relationship. That is going to be hard on you as the mother.

Your dh doesn't want you to buy any meat substitutes or tofu. Since your dh is not supportive of this, I imagine that he also wouldn't be on board with you cooking healthy veggie meals for the whole family that include a veggie protein source like beans, right? If these are true, then what is your growing daughter supposed to do for protein?

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that dh doesn't support us eating meatless meals. He does, and had requested that I expand my repetoire of such meals long before dsd became vegetarian. I always have healthy, homemade refried beans in the freezer, which dsd loves.

I understand that you and your dh don't approve of her being vegetarian, but at what point do we need to respect (and support) our children's choices when they don't really hurt us?

We are respecting her decision by not insisting that she eat meat. We also have no intention of knowingly getting her to eat something she wouldn't want to; in other words, I'm not hiding meat, in any form, in anything I serve her.

We do not, however, feel it is right for us to SUPPORT her decision. She is a minor child in our care, who lives (part time) in our home. We believe we are responsible to the Lord to instruct our children in His ways while they are still under our supervision. And we believe there is nothing wrong, morally, with eating meat. That is part of our belief system, which we intend to pass on to our children. Clearly, they can choose to believe or reject that, as well as anything else we teach them. We have no control over that. But we do have to answer to the Lord for what we taught them, regarless of if they believed it or not.

Hope that helps you understand where I'm coming from.

Edited by bethanyniez

Bethany, I'm sure you don't need me to write this, but I will anyway, because I know how easily a thread can spin out of control. You are doing fine. Just fine. You have picked a very nice balance between allowing your dsd to follow her own heart, respecting your husband (*her father's*) opinion, and being as supportive as possible to both. :thumbup1:

Hopefully you get more constructive advice than (no matter how kindly worded) constructive criticism. :001_smile:

Julie is a very nice poster.:D I tend to think of the long -term ramifications of trying to control a child on minor issues too heavily. (God didn't say don't eat tofu, he said man had dominion over *all* living things; plants and animals).

You wouldn't want her to leave the fold totally, but that is not something that should concern any strangers. (me lol). I always want to keep the relationship open, the child talking, not resentful.

I am sure it will be fine in the end, if dicey right now. Good luck with it. I mean that honestly. :)

Bethany, I'm sure you don't need me to write this, but I will anyway, because I know how easily a thread can spin out of control. You are doing fine. Just fine. You have picked a very nice balance between allowing your dsd to follow her own heart, respecting your husband (*her father's*) opinion, and being as supportive as possible to both. :thumbup1:

Hopefully you get more constructive advice than (no matter how kindly worded) constructive criticism. :001_smile:

I love broccoli and ricotta as a calzone type thing. Yum!

I wanted to add that my 2 dds wanted to see if they could go for one year as vegetarians. I wasn't wild about the idea...just because I didn't want to have to be preparing a bunch of special this and that for 2 people. So, I put it on their shoulders. They were required to do a bit of research about protein and other nutrients. They had to find some recipes and create some meals. I even had them make some vegetarian meals for the family on occasion (making meals was normal--I didn't want them to get out of the habit just because the 2 of them were doing something different.) They went the full year but decided they missed meat too much to continue. Oh, and they each gained weight.

How about mashed potatoes and cheese added to those carmalized onions. It will be like a periogi. Periogi also are sometimes made with potatoes and saurerkraut, but that's most likely an aquired taste. ;)

tomato, cheese, green peppers, pinapple(like a pizza)

mashed winter squash, sage, with some butter and salt or make a sweet version with cinnamon and a little sugar or marshmellows, or a curry version with some curry powder

berry and fresh cheese would work well

By the way, I don't really feel that you need to worry about protein much if she is eating eggs and dairy products on a regular basis. Throw in some whole grains and beans to her diet and she'll be fine.

Good luck. Every once in a while, I make homemade hot pockets, They only last a day or two at my house!

It's hard to know if being vegetarian would require special food purchases, given that some meat eaters eat absolutely NO vegetables! But I'd think roasted veges like eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes (careful about the soggy factor), bell peppers and so forth. I'd rather eat a calzone than a hot pocket, but maybe I'm quibbling. I also like butternut squash with caramelized onions (especially with sage -- so nice!). I would think you could do some pierogi type fillings (some combination of potato, cabbage, onion, and cheese) that would taste nice. Perhaps parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, and other fall root veges if you could find them too. Also spinach or other green with onions and garlic, and maybe cheese.

I think it is sad that this child is making a decision which could really be beneficial to her health and NO ONE supports her. With all of the garbage and junk food most kids consume these days, and all the obesity in the world, how sad that one wouldn't make any extra efforts to help this child do something that is so positive.

how sad that one wouldn't make any extra efforts to help this child do something that is so positive.

Bethany's original post was *about how to cook vegetarian foods for the child that would be yummy, good for her, and convenient.* I don't understand how that could be classified as not making any extra efforts to help the child do something positive. She's trying to make it work within the framework of the family. That sounds positive to me. Buying tofu and fake meat is not an integral part of providing what the child needs. She's eating eggs and dairy, beans, grains, veggies, and fruits. Sounds ok to me.

Um, I actually did need you to write that. :blush: Thanks Julie.

A quickie lunch at my house that happens to be vegetarian is..

1 can black beans, rinsed

1 can corn, drained

1 jar salsa, medium sized (I think 12oz)

Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Tortilla shells

Mix beans, corn salsa in tupperware bowl. Heat skillet with a little canola oil.

Put a couple spoonfuls fo bean mixture in tortilla, cover with cheese. Fold in half, fold in half again it will look like a triangle. Cook a few minutes on each side, until it is lightly browned. Serve with sour cream and chips.

You can keep the bean mixture in the fridge and make fresh ones as needed.These are cheap, yummy and easy. You could also use that bean mixture in the hot pocket, too. Hope this helps.

>>Bethany's original post was *about how to cook vegetarian foods for the child that would be yummy, good for her, and convenient.* I don't understand how that could be classified as not making any extra efforts to help the child do something positive. She's trying to make it work within the framework of the family. That sounds positive to me. Buying tofu and fake meat is not an integral part of providing what the child needs. She's eating eggs and dairy, beans, grains, veggies, and fruits. Sounds ok to me. <<

I agree that part IS positive. However, the overall attitude and comments state that they do not support her decision (and neither does the child's mother):

>>We do not, however, feel it is right for us to SUPPORT her decision. She is a minor child in our care, who lives (part time) in our home. We believe we are responsible to the Lord to instruct our children in His ways while they are still under our supervision. And we believe there is nothing wrong, morally, with eating meat.<<

There is also nothing wrong, morally, with NOT eating meat, so there is no real, logical reason this child can't have moral support from family members.

>>That is part of our belief system, which we intend to pass on to our children. Clearly, they can choose to believe or reject that, as well as anything else we teach them. We have no control over that. But we do have to answer to the Lord for what we taught them, regarless of if they believed it or not.<<

There seems to be what is deemed almost a rebellion in this child because she is choosing NOT to eat meat. I just think it is sad that she cannot have anyone to back her decision. Sorry.

Would you allow her to purchase her own food? Maybe give her an allowance for food equal to what her portions of meat would have cost that you don't have to spend anymore? Then she could use that amount to buy foods for herself that she can prepare for herself. At 16, she is more than capable of taking care of herself.

I think that is what I would do in that situation. Obviously I wouldn't support any immoral activities or actions, but my concern would be for her protein consumption.

Does she have a job where she could buy her own foods? Would you allow her to spend her own money on those things or are you not going to allow them in the house at all?

I would make sure you understand what she will eat and what she won't - eggs, cheese, some will even eat fish and also if it is a decided thing or if it likely to change.

Even if you came from a meat eating family. Reducing your meat consumption can be very healthy. So adding a few vegetarian meals each week might be healthy for your whole family.

What we did when my DD told us she wanted to be a vegetarian is to find out exactly how much protein she needed per day. It was based on weight and it was surprising how little was needed to fulfill it. Lunch example - a lunch that would provide enough protein for my DD - cheese sandwich with whatever fruit or veg and 1/2 c of milk.

Vegetarian meals are harder to plan, since you don't have the meat to plan around. I would try checking out some cookbooks from the library to get some recipe ideas.

Beans and rice are a complete protein. Something I learned in Middle School and have used it ever since. A complete protein has all the amino acids that make up protein. So having beans and rice in the same meal/day is a great way to get your protein. We find that mexican food is easy to do. You can even have make your own taco bar, so meat-eaters can add meat.

Finally depending on the age of your DD, she might change. So don't make a big deal about her eating meat or not eating meat. Don't try to tempt or trick her. My DD eats bacon, not big deal to us. She calls herself a part-time vegetarian. Our family only eats about one or two meals with meat anyway, so it doesn't matter to us one way or the other.

I'm a vegetarian whose father hunted to put meat on the table for my family; in other words, it wasn't allowed at my parents' house, either. I think I was about 11 or 12 when I realized it wasn't something I felt I could do. I was subjected to not only forcing down venison, eating our pet cows, but helping with the entire process (beginning with hanging and cleaning up any blood that spilled from the buckets and ending with food prep and eating it.). Kudos to you for trying to help your dd work things out.:thumbup1:

It's pretty easy to do both in a family that still eats meat (I do it every day because dh and ds both enjoy meat occasionally). When you make pizza, make one veggie. As another poster suggested, when you make chili, make one with just beans (it really only takes under 30 minutes to do this veg style). When you make something like pot roast, be sure to have a dish on the side for a few potatoes and carrots to roast without the beef, and then she can just make a big salad with peas and sunflower seeds or red beans or chickpeas and feta...you know...options. :)

As far as those hot pockets go, the spanikopita take on things is awesome! Ricotta, spinach, garlic, feta...google for some great suggestions. Those are my favorite.

Oh, and PS - I absolutely hate tofu. It's not the Be All for all vegetarians. I do, however, like tempe, but don't make it often. I does deliver up a nice alternative to gyros, though, that my entire family likes.

Edited by LauraGB

Someone else may have suggested this one, I just skipped to the end and didn't read all - in England we eat cheese and onion pasties. Pretty much like a hot pocket but triangular and the filling is cheese, onions and mashed potato. Just saute the onions and then mix with potato and cheese and bake, delicious, I love them.

My 6 year old dd told me today that she was thinking of not eating meat because she loves animals - we asked if she wanted to be a vegetarian and she said no she was going to be a fruitatarian.

Edited by tcb

I've made hot pocket type things w/refried beans, salsa, & cheese & then will serve them with sour cream. Yum!

Also, we make mashed potato tacos that are *awesome*. You season mashed potatoes with cumin/garlic/chili powder & then put some in the middle of a corn tortilla. Sprinkle some cheese on top if you want & then put in hot oil. Shape into a taco shell & fry until crispy. Soooooo good!

I do Mexican pizza as well. It's basically the same thing as the hot pockets. I make the pizza dough with salsa juice for the liquid & then put on refried beans, salsa, & cheese & serve with sour cream. It's very very filling.

I have a recipe for a tempeh, potato, & mushroom casserole that is fabulous. It's a total pitb to make so I don't do it very often, but yummy!

I sometimes layer corn tortillas, black beans, tempeh, salsa or enchilada sauce & cheese for a Mexican lasagna. I think I've added rice to it too.

When I'm eating vegetarian I make salads & throw in a bunch of chickpeas. I also sometimes stretch the protein in spaghetti w/black beans & serve with cottage cheese.

If she eats eggs you could make some breakfast burritos for the freezer. Just use scrambled eggs, beans, cheese, salsa, and some tempeh if she likes it. Those are easy grab & go snacks/meals.

For winter, soups are really easy to make vegetarian. You can just cook the meat separately & add it to the bowls of those who wish to eat it.

Another thought is stir-fried vegetables with a Thai style peanut sauce(assuming no peanut allergies in the household) as a hot pocket filling. You could possibly add rice to this as well.

Indian style lentil dishes with onions and carrots and other vegetables might make a good filling also.

Guest BunnyNestHideaway

I just wanted to clarify that vegetarians do not consume fish. There have been some misconceptions of that in this thread.

Indian style lentil dishes with onions and carrots and other vegetables might make a good filling also.

I think a lot of the fillings suggested, including this one, would be easier to eat on their own with, say, rice, instead of inside a "hot pocket." By the way, cooked lentils and beans freeze well; you can get small containers (single size) -- I find this very handy, personally.