Menu

LDS members...what did you think of AI and "Shout the Lord"?

I was curious how LDS members feel about the "Shout to the Lord" song? Reason I'm asking, I read an article by a Catholic who said he was offended by AI's choice of song. That was interesting to me since I wouldn't think the words of the song would be offensive to a Catholic. It seemed he didn't like the idea of the whole "evangelical" vibe.

This got me thinking about the two LDS members within the contestents this year...Brooke and David Arc. I was wondering if they would have an issue with singing it. If the song is viewed the same way by people who are part of the LDS church as it was by the Catholic writer.

I'm just really curious is all.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to it again with my Mormon hat on. Doctrinally, there's not anything in it that would cause problems.

I am aware of a variety of opinions on Christian rock music within the LDS church. Some like it (there is an active LDS pop music market) and some don't. If I had to guess, I would say that only a small minority would have a problem with AI contestants singing it. More people would have a problem with this style of music being sung in church, but many would be glad for the change of pace. ;)

I wouldn't generalize one man's opinion and apply it to all Catholics just because he happens to be one.

I had never heard the song before and didn't know they changed the lyrics, the first time, until I read it here. I'm Catholic and wasn't offended. I'd much rather hear a song about Jesus than dumb jokes about Simon's nipples.

I thought the show was very odd. I suppose they were trying to lighten the heavy parts with comedy but it just didn't work. Clips of children in horrendous conditions doesn't mix with F bombs and man-boobs.

Sorry, I don't watch American Idol, and I'm not familiar with the song--but I can bump you! I like gospel and spiritual music, so I guess it depends on the content of the song. I can't quite see being offended by it, but I'm not a fan of most modern praise music. Whether I'd be comfortable singing it would depend--is it more like "I'll fly away" and "Down to the valley to pray," which are songs I love, or is it more like "Wonderful scandalous night," which strikes me as very nearly blasphemous?

Guess I'd better go look for a video clip or something.

OK, found a clip. I would not have a problem with the song. It's not my personal taste, but it's a perfectly nice song--though it strikes me as an odd choice for American Idol. Sort of a pop version of "How Great Thou Art." But I could sing it and all.

Hope my rambling helps. :001_smile:

My question is, what if one of the contestants wasn't a Christian of any stripe? Or even a Jew or Muslim? What if one of them was an athiest or a Hindu or a Neo-Pagan or...etc.? I think I'd be very torqued and drop from the contest with as much publicity as I could get over the why of it.

For me this simply highlights how very Christian mainstream American culture is, for all that some Christians don't seem to think so.

(Please note that when I say "Christian" I include Catholics and Protestants and Anabaptists and Baptists and LDS and every other group that label themselves as Christian.)

That was interesting to me since I wouldn't think the words of the song would be offensive to a Catholic. It seemed he didn't like the idea of the whole "evangelical" vibe.

Okay, I just watched the video(s) on youtube. Who is this writer who thought the song was offensive? I'm a former Catholic, but I can easily get into my "Catholic head" and I can't find anything that would be considered wrong according to the RC church. Can you link to the article?

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but since you started it off with that comment you piqued my curiosity. :)

My question is, what if one of the contestants wasn't a Christian of any stripe? Or even a Jew or Muslim? What if one of them was an athiest or a Hindu or a Neo-Pagan or...etc.? I think I'd be very torqued and drop from the contest with as much publicity as I could get over the why of it.

I would respect their right to express their faith also.

For me this simply highlights how very Christian mainstream American culture is, for all that some Christians don't seem to think so.

(Please note that when I say "Christian" I include Catholics and Protestants and Anabaptists and Baptists and LDS and every other group that label themselves as Christian.)

Only three contestants sang the first part of the song when Jesus is named as Savior, maybe that helped the non-believers, if there are any.

What do you do with the rest of the song then, Karen?

My Jesus, My Savior

Lord there is none like You

All of my days, I want to praise

The wonders of Your mighty love

My Comfort, My Shelter

Tower of refuge and strength

Let every breath, all that I am

Never cease to worship You

(Chorus)

Shout to the Lord, all the earth

Let us sing. Power and majesty, praise to the King.

Mountains bow down and the seas will roar

At the sound of Your name

I sing for joy at the work of Your hands

Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand

Nothing compares to the promise I have in

YOU!

(chorus)

My Jesus, My Savior

Lord there is none like You

All of my days, I want to praise

The wonders of Your mighty love

My Comfort, My Shelter

Tower of refuge and strength

Let every breath, all that I am

Never cease to worship You

(Chorus)

Shout to the Lord, all the earth

Let us sing. Power and majesty, praise to the King.

Mountains bow down and the seas will roar

At the sound of Your name

I sing for joy at the work of Your hands

Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand

Nothing compares to the promise I have in

YOU!

(bridge)

let the earth sing

i declare your great name

all of my life i will

with all of my breath

i will praise you

lift it up, life it up

(chorus)

nothing compares to you

i shout your praise

nothing compares to you

Nothing compares to the promise I have in YOU!

There's a cut and paste of the lyrics if others want to see. Now I'm no fan of most contemp. praise choruses. Many of them you could substitute a cute guy's name for "Jesus" and play it on a secular radio station. But this song is a bit more Christ-centered than many of those. (though I"m not crazy about it either ;)) I don't see how it can be made to fit a secular, singing competition at all rather than a worship service of God's people. I just don't see it. Would they sing "Holy, Holy, Holy"?

Jami

http://www.joshharris.com/2008/04/more_on_idol_and_shout_to_the_1.php

Here is a copy/paste from his blog:

". It's unfair to the performers who want to win- Pressuring them to sing an evangelical number is wrong. Who wants to be revealed as the Idol who refused to sing a song about Jesus? Think that might hurt their chances with Middle America? They should never have been put in that position.

2. It's unfair to the performers of conscience -- I'm a Catholic and that's a tune we would never sing in Church, though none of its lyrics are of the sort that conflict with my faith. (Though many evangelical tunes, in fact, do and entire trends in Christian music are embraced by liberal evangelicals, rejected by conservative evangelicals and vice versa.) But what about the Idols who aren't Christian? Maybe some of them are Buddhist or agnostic or Jewish or Muslim or god forbid, atheist.

3. It's offensive to the viewers -- I'm a Catholic and I was offended. I don't turn on Idol to be converted or evangelized to by the show -- and that's exactly what a group sing-along is. It's a statement by the show, not individual kids. America is the most religiously diverse country in the world (and I live in Queens, New York -- the most religiously and ethnically diverse corner of the world). That's something to celebrate and it also means respecting other faiths and people of no faith. You don't do that by hijacking Idol to make all the kids sing about Jesus. Even if each and every one of them is born again and dying to sing the praises of the Lord, you don't alienate the viewers like me -- and most Americans are not evangelicals -- who don't identity with that particular strand of Christianity.

Dropping the "Jesus" from "Shout to the Lord" was a big mistake. Making all the Idol contestants sing it together in the first place was an even bigger one. If any individual Idol wanted to sing it, fine. But a group sing-along? Wrong. What do you think?"

I don't get it. How often do we hear "secular" or at least not Christian groups and soloists perform songs from another era or culture that reference Jesus (think Christmas carols here).

Surely it's understood that not every artist who puts "Silent Night" on their Christmas album actually believes it.

I'm a Christian, but I really see this performance as just being part of what is culturally acceptable and not so much a doctrinal matter.

What do you do with the rest of the song then, Karen?

The name of Jesus was used one time on AI. In their minds when contestants were saying Lord during their part of the song they could be thinking of whomever. Obviously, I'm speculating. I, as a born again protestant Christian, would not sing any song that went against my views, even if I substituted the name of Jesus or God for whomever. Even on moral issues, I couldn't sing certain Billy Joel songs for example, if they had a Billy Joel week or say they picked The Ballad of John and Yoko as a group song, it wouldn't happen.

http://www.joshharris.com/2008/04/more_on_idol_and_shout_to_the_1.php

Here is a copy/paste from his blog:

". It's unfair to the performers who want to win- Pressuring them to sing an evangelical number is wrong. Who wants to be revealed as the Idol who refused to sing a song about Jesus? Think that might hurt their chances with Middle America? They should never have been put in that position.

2. It's unfair to the performers of conscience -- I'm a Catholic and that's a tune we would never sing in Church, though none of its lyrics are of the sort that conflict with my faith. (Though many evangelical tunes, in fact, do and entire trends in Christian music are embraced by liberal evangelicals, rejected by conservative evangelicals and vice versa.) But what about the Idols who aren't Christian? Maybe some of them are Buddhist or agnostic or Jewish or Muslim or god forbid, atheist.

3. It's offensive to the viewers -- I'm a Catholic and I was offended. I don't turn on Idol to be converted or evangelized to by the show -- and that's exactly what a group sing-along is. It's a statement by the show, not individual kids. America is the most religiously diverse country in the world (and I live in Queens, New York -- the most religiously and ethnically diverse corner of the world). That's something to celebrate and it also means respecting other faiths and people of no faith. You don't do that by hijacking Idol to make all the kids sing about Jesus. Even if each and every one of them is born again and dying to sing the praises of the Lord, you don't alienate the viewers like me -- and most Americans are not evangelicals -- who don't identity with that particular strand of Christianity.

Dropping the "Jesus" from "Shout to the Lord" was a big mistake. Making all the Idol contestants sing it together in the first place was an even bigger one. If any individual Idol wanted to sing it, fine. But a group sing-along? Wrong. What do you think?"

You linked Josh Harris' blog, he's not Catholic as far as I know, he linked the quote from M. Glitz reporting on Huffington.

Not replying to any post in general, just some thoughts I had as reading through this thread.....

I probably need to get out my evangelical bubble from time to time. Of course I was excited when they sang Shout to the Lord. Of course we backed up the dvr and watched it over and over again. Of course my kids started singing along with it, everyone was smiling and joy was in the air.

But what if they had been singing a song that was anti-Christian? I would feel insulted and disrespected.

I don't know how to feel about it now. It probably was not fair to force the contestants into the position. They signed up for a singing contest. They did not sign up to have to make a choice like that in front of America.

I liked it personally, but I can see where it probably was not fair.

Yabbut, one could argue that the road to being a rock idol is filled with compromise. True, this song is overtly Christian, and could have thus caused someone to sing something they weren't really "feeling", but it wouldn't be the first or last time that someone sang/danced/acted a piece purely to advance their career. Some artists, when they reach a certain point will stand on their convictions, but the casting couch is not a myth.

I couldn't sing certain Billy Joel songs for example, if they had a Billy Joel week or say they picked The Ballad of John and Yoko as a group song, it wouldn't happen.

So true, and I am/was a die-hard Billy Joel fan.

The first album I ever bought with my own money was The Stranger. Ironically, that album contains one of the songs that I can't sing anymore ("Only the Good Die Young".)

I don't know how to feel about it now. It probably was not fair to force the contestants into the position. They signed up for a singing contest. They did not sign up to have to make a choice like that in front of America.

I do wonder, if they asked the contestants before preparing the song if any one of them had a genuine conviction *not* to sing this song. They may have had another song available if any had voiced dissent...

Just another point here. Why does AI have to be secular? They aren't part of the government. They are out to make money and if they end up offending too many people they won't make money etc... So I can assume from that, that there is a large Christian viewership out there. Having said that, I had the TV muted after Snoop Dog, becuase I just couldn't stand that performance! After hearing about F bombs and other things I am so glad my kids did not watch it! I wished i had seen the last song, but alas, I was in another room....

and hey, they all have to advertise for Ford..what if one of them really likes Chevy?;) Okay, ducking now!;)

I read that they gave them the choice and if any one of them had said no they wouldn't have done it. I don't believe they were forced to sing it. I can see both sides of the argument, and know that I'd be offended it they praised a false god in song. Right now, though, I'm just happy they sang it, regardless of where the hearts are of those who were singing it or the motives behind it. I am sure God used it.

Teresa

That's why I thought it was such a strange thing for American Idol to do; I have a hard time believing that all the performers are actually devout Christians, and I'm quite uncomfortable with the notion of them being made to perform such a song without the conviction behind it. So while that wasn't the question I answered for the OP (that is, whether I as an LDS person am offended by it), it's certainly a large part of my reaction.

I personally love this song and I love to sing it on a Sunday morning or in my car with the kids but I found it strange to have Idol singing this song. It left me feeling uneasy even as I sang along. My dh didn't have any such feelings but even still today it leaves me feeling conflicted.

Think of the millions of viewers who were witnessed to, even though those doing the "witnessing" were most likely not born again. Very kewl.

God uses all things to bring about His plans, don't you think?:D

Just another point here. Why does AI have to be secular? They aren't part of the government. They are out to make money and if they end up offending too many people they won't make money etc... So I can assume from that, that there is a large Christian viewership out there. Having said that, I had the TV muted after Snoop Dog, becuase I just couldn't stand that performance! After hearing about F bombs and other things I am so glad my kids did not watch it! I wished i had seen the last song, but alas, I was in another room....

and hey, they all have to advertise for Ford..what if one of them really likes Chevy?;) Okay, ducking now!;)

I guess the difference would be that the contestants were not forced to sing a Snoop Dog song or wear that big ugly ring. And the contestants were not forced to drop F bombs.

I am thinking more out of respect for the contestants than for the audience.

We did not mute Snoop Dog, but we did fast forward through it! And our dvr cut off and we missed the last little bit with the song and with the f-bombs.

Think of the millions of viewers who were witnessed to, even though those doing the "witnessing" were most likely not born again. Very kewl.

See, this is where I get so conflicted. I actually agree with you, as an Evangelical Christian I get excited about God being glorified through such a seemingly unlikely platform.

But then I hate to think that someone was up there cringing on the inside while they sang those lyrics. What if feeling forced into singing that song causes bitterness towards Christians?

I don't know. But I do know that if I don't stay away from the computer these kids will never finish their schoolwork. I am logging off now. Really. I mean it this time.

Even as a Christian, this bothers me much more than them singing the song.

I enjoyed the song. And if they were singing it because they wanted to--either because it was an expression of their faith or because they like the sound of the song--I think that's great.

But I find being "witnessed to" very offensive.

(Just to be clear, this is me answering for me as I am now. Not me answering with my Mormon hat on.)

I don't watch AI, but had to watch the video just to see what the hoopla was about. It was an interesting choice, I never expected to see Hillsongs performed on AI. Have served on a worship team in the past, I know for less experienced singers (raising my hand) it can be easy to get off key on that song. Maybe they were stretching their vocal skills as well.

Put hey, I'll take praise to God anyway it shows up.

I have a hard time believing that, in this day and age, anyone on a secular TV show, was forced to sing that song. I have *no doubt that if one person voiced any objection, they would have picked another song. Can you imagine the bad press AI would get, if a contestant came out and said they were "forced" to sing a Christian song?

Okay, have we forgotten that these people are performers and entertainers? I know it's a contest, but they are participating in the contest to gain performing rights, correct? Enertainers act parts that are not necessarily their beliefs. I thought the song was beautiful and no one looked upset to be singing it.

Of course mainstream America in Christain. We were founded on Christain principles by Christains. We are a Christain society. That's not to say that other viewpoints shouldn't be tolerated. This just falls into "majority rules"; another concept our country was founded on.

Please know that I'm not trying to stir up trouble here.

Of course mainstream America in Christain. We were founded on Christain principles by Christains. We are a Christain society. That's not to say that other viewpoints shouldn't be tolerated. This just falls into "majority rules"; another concept our country was founded on.

Please know that I'm not trying to stir up trouble here.

Not trouble but please know that you're incorrect. We're not a Christian nation and we're not built upon "majority rules". You'll notice G.W. Bush is our president and the majority of Americans did not vote for him in 2000.

We were founded by primarily deists. Thomas Jefferson even went so far as to write a Bible the ethical teachings of Jesus left whole and all the supernatural elements removed. We are not a Christian nation just as we are not a white nation or a male nation. Our founding fathers were quite explicit about that. You'll note that while they acknowledged a creator they never mentioned a savior.

As to tolerating other viewpoints? Perhaps your words aren't very well chosen. I'm going to have to hope that's the case. Other beliefs aren't to be "tolerated" they're to be respected. Jefferson also wrote about his fear of a "tyranny of the majority" which is exactly what you're espousing. In order to combat this we're not a democracy. We're a democratic republic. That means that, hopefully, the majority will be overruled by their representatives when they're wrong.

Lastly... the next time you get to feeling all warm and cuddly about living in a "Christian society" I suggest you start to question your fellow Christians about their beliefs regarding their faith. In my days I've yet to find ten people who could fully agree about ten points of faith. From literal interpretations to ... well... you get the idea. It's nice to say but there really isn't a "Christian society". If every last person converted to "Christianity" the battle would then begin between the 30,000 some sects of Christianity (that's just within the U.S.) to find the ONE TRUE FAITH©.

I'm afraid my post might have sounded cranky. Sorry, that wasn't my intent.

Not trouble but please know that you're incorrect. We're not a Christian nation and we're not built upon "majority rules".

When our government first started each colony had a vote. Majority ruled, hence that's how we were set up.

You'll notice G.W. Bush is our president and the majority of Americans did not vote for him in 2000.

Actually, yes, the majority did vote for GW, but I understand the presumed discrepancy.

We were founded by primarily deists. Thomas Jefferson even went so far as to write a Bible the ethical teachings of Jesus left whole and all the supernatural elements removed. We are not a Christian nation just as we are not a white nation or a male nation. Our founding fathers were quite explicit about that. You'll note that while they acknowledged a creator they never mentioned a savior.

I agree that a Creator was acknowleged, but not a Savior. The rules our forefathers set up for us where based in the Bible, at least that's where the majority of the forefathers learned them.

As to tolerating other viewpoints? Perhaps your words aren't very well chosen. I'm going to have to hope that's the case. Other beliefs aren't to be "tolerated" they're to be respected. Jefferson also wrote about his fear of a "tyranny of the majority" which is exactly what you're espousing. In order to combat this we're not a democracy. We're a democratic republic. That means that, hopefully, the majority will be overruled by their representatives when they're wrong.

You are correct; my words weren't chosen very well. All religions should be respected, but when a majority of a country is Christain it's not unsual that you would have a group of people sing a Christain song on TV. Again, the main point of my earlier post is to state that these people are entertainers, they sang the song because they wanted to sing on AI.

Lastly... the next time you get to feeling all warm and cuddly about living in a "Christian society" I suggest you start to question your fellow Christians about their beliefs regarding their faith. In my days I've yet to find ten people who could fully agree about ten points of faith. From literal interpretations to ... well... you get the idea. It's nice to say but there really isn't a "Christian society". If every last person converted to "Christianity" the battle would then begin between the 30,000 some sects of Christianity (that's just within the U.S.) to find the ONE TRUE FAITH©.

I think people agree on more than you give them credit for. I, also, wish people could just quit fighting over whose right and whose wrong. God created us all, with all of our diversities.

Again, sorry if I ofended anyone, that was not my intent. I just got a little "fired up."

Not trouble but please know that you're incorrect. We're not a Christian nation and we're not built upon "majority rules". You'll notice G.W. Bush is our president and the majority of Americans did not vote for him in 2000.

What about 2004?

There are a plethora of biographical resources to check out at Wallbuilders that would disagree with "primarily deists". Many founders were Christians, even pastors, even founders of various Bible societies, etc.

I disagree with having to "respect" other viewpoints rather than "tolerate" them. I would never respect the viewpoint of a Nazi, for example. Maybe you should have chosen a different word?

Your tone here is quite arrogant and I commend Cheryl on her gracious reply to your post.

I do wonder, if they asked the contestants before preparing the song if any one of them had a genuine conviction *not* to sing this song. They may have had another song available if any had voiced dissent...

This was my thought as I heard them singing. Maybe...just maybe...we have a contest where ALL the contestants at this point are Christians? I dunno...just speculating...

I wondered about this too. Then I thought just maybe they discussed it with the contestants before actually deciding to definitely do that song. I realize they don't HAVE to ask them if they want to sing it, but it is a possibility they did. I don't think it would be drastic to think 7 or 8 contestants (not sure how many are left) would be fine with it.

Aw, thanks!:blushing: You made me feel better! I thought I started a nasty debate :001_huh:!

No Cheryl. You did not start a thing. You were just part of a conversation.

And it is worth mentioning that you have a reliable posting record on these forums. You do not show up just for controversy but rather you take part in a variety of conversations. I doubt anyone really took your post as a an attempt to stir trouble.

Don't give it another thought.

I have a hard time believing that, in this day and age, anyone on a secular TV show, was forced to sing that song. I have *no doubt that if one person voiced any objection, they would have picked another song. Can you imagine the bad press AI would get, if a contestant came out and said they were "forced" to sing a Christian song?

I can't imagine being pegged as the contestant who refused to sing a song about Jesus would have done much to improve their odds of winning.

Michelle T