Menu

My fate's in your hands...

How should I complete my degree??  

1. 1. How should I complete my degree??

• Go to school online. Incur debt, but no worries about sitters etc..
    • Go to the local university. It will take longer, but end in less debt.
    • College Smollege. Who needs it? You don't really want a career right now anyway.

Well...sort of :001_smile:.

I need some help reasoning through this little problem that I've got going on.

I am going to return to school. Yes, I really want to, and it's probably the right thing to do anyhow. The problem is that I have two school choices, each with their own set of pros/cons and I need to hear a few more voices before I really commit.

Option A is a school that will allow me to complete my degree online (but no, it is not one of those University of www kind of places). It is expensive. I will need loans to pay a portion of my tuition. But, I will not have to mess with child care/ scheduling/ commuting or any of that nonsense. Probably 2 years to complete degree.

Option B is a local university. There are few, if any, online classes that I will be able to take. Most of my classes will be in a building. It is not as expensive. However, I will need to arrange child care, commute, etc.. Because of this, it will probably take me longer than two years to complete my degree.

Any insight for me???

I've done both married with children. All the schools were "real", accredited state universities.

If you are very disciplined, easily teach yourself concepts/easily understand explanations without too many visuals, and are able to get your work done without a set time to be sitting in class, online classes can be a wonderful option. Some of my classes had set times we had to participate in chats, others just had deadlines where we had to post an answer to a forum-type place by a certain date/time and others we submitted papers through email.

I loved my online courses (and I actually completed two degrees this way although some credits were transfers from traditional schools) but in many ways it was harder than regular classes.

If you add up the expenses involved in commuting, childcare, etc. and the shorter amount of time spent to get your degree, the online option may be less expensive in the long run.

This is funny, because I was just pondering almost the same situation for myself. I just said to dh yesterday as we walked back from the mailbox, "*sigh* Everytime I get this college catalog, I really want to go to school." To my surprise he said, "Go! You should. You would be great at it and really love it." Well, knock me over with a feather!

But I have a very similar dilemma of whether to go on-line or go in person. If I lived close to a University that I really wanted to attend, however, I think I would still rather go in person. And if it were less debt, that is all the more reason IMO.

I voted for the local university. I tried the online degree thing. It's expensive and for *what* I don't know. The "instructors" did very little and there was no intellectual discourse (which is what a university education is about, IMO). I lasted for three terms and then withdrew.

Are you going because you just want more education, or are you going with the intent to finish and go to work. Will one place look better on a resume than the other? Do you need the work money in two years, or will it be okay to wait longer before you start getting an income?

If you take out loans and are home, you'll spend more, but you'll be home not spending money on child care, gas, car wear and tear and probably eating home as much as you do now.

If you do the university, it's muliple years of child care, commuting, and your food budget will go up from easy meals, eating out and more convience food. Those expenses will come out of your everyday budget. Where if you do the online thing, you'll have few expenses and it will come out of the loan.

I graduated from college when I was pregnant with dd5. (My others were 10, 8, and 3.) My commute, not counting stopping to drop off children, was about an hour, depending on traffic. Still, I needed to be away, immersed in my classes. I knew that it would not give me the same benefits if I were sitting in my living room, with children darting around. Even if they were napping or busily engaged, when I am home I am always thinking of what needs to be done. I needed to be somewhere else, so that my role could simply be student for some small amount of time. Obviously, homework and reading still took place at home, and I juggled it just fine. But it was so nice, to at least have my class time, to simply be a student. I enjoyed developing relationships with others that shared my interest/field of study. A couple of them are still friends today. And honestly, even the drive gave me a chance to think and switch back into "mommy mode." I would rather take a little longer, take on less debt, and take the time to allow myself to fully engage in the experience. HTH.

I think it might depend some on what your degree/classes will be in. For some classes and for some majors, it's very important to interact with others (discuss, bounce ideas off, etc.)--that can be done online, but it's a lot harder. Do you have any lab requirements? That, of course, would be better irl! lol I take it your degree is not in chemistry or anything like that.;)

For me, I would go to the b and m school, because I need the time away, and because I need the "real" interaction. But I probably would take some classes online, if offered.

You may, depending on your kids, need to hire someone to sit for you while you take online classes, too, or while you study.

I voted for the local university. Honestly, you're going to need to arrange more childcare than you probably think if you're doing classes online. And imo, online classes are not a substitute for IRL classes. With a few exceptions, face-to-face is better. Plus you'll get to meet professors, students, etc. I think you'll like it better and less debt is a bonus.

Is there a college and no debt option? You list less debt in the poll. A little less debt? A lot less debt?

First I would determine how the college degree would impact a future job search. (high)- Currently looking for a job/in a job and college degree would really help to (low) - may one day reenter the workforce, but don't know when.

Second I would look for ways to not have debt. Take fewer classes. Apply for grants. Go to a less expensive college. There are probably many different options out there.

Third I would consider which option would work with my schedule (including kid's schedule, activities, vacations, DH work hours, whatever is on your list)

Once I consider these three factors, I would make the decision.

Are you going because you just want more education, or are you going with the intent to finish and go to work. Will one place look better on a resume than the other? Do you need the work money in two years, or will it be okay to wait longer before you start getting an income?

If you take out loans and are home, you'll spend more, but you'll be home not spending money on child care, gas, car wear and tear and probably eating home as much as you do now.

If you do the university, it's muliple years of child care, commuting, and your food budget will go up from easy meals, eating out and more convience food. Those expenses will come out of your everyday budget. Where if you do the online thing, you'll have few expenses and it will come out of the loan.

I agree with Renthead. I can't respond to the poll until I know more about why you're going back to school. If it's just because you want to, I'll vote local university. But if there are other variables, I might have a different answer. :D

Blessings!

Dorinda

I can't recommend either leaving your kids or incurring debt right now. I guess I would never be for leaving your kids in daycare. They're only young once and then they're gone. If you must go to school now and you're in a financially secure situation with very little other debt, I'd be more inclined to say you should take out a loan. But even saying that leaves a bad taste in my mouth with things the way they are in this country!

Normally, I'd say complete your degree online without sacrificing the kids, but under the present economic circumstances in the US, I guess I'd say you should wait until the kids are grown. It will be before you know it.

Do the math. If option A is cheaper in the long run go with it. If the total price of option B is cheaper go with that one. Things to include in the cost of option B are each year's:

tuition

books

sitter

clothes

gas

insurance

vehicle maintenance

You may find that in the long run it is less expensive, less headache with schedules and homeschooling to go with option A.

I just registered for college this week! I am going to go to classrooms and take a few online courses. I did a few classes a few years ago and I enjoyed the classroom ones so much more than the online. I think you will get so much more of actually going to classes.

I go online, to American Public University, sister school of American Military University. It is regionally accredited, which is far more important than national accreditation, if you ever want to transfer credits elsewhere or go on to graduate school. $250/credit hour, which is on the low end of most of the schools I considered. Includes books, although some are digital.

I didn't answer the poll because ... well, I don't know what is right or not right for you.

Personally, I would never, never do well in a strictly online class. My learning style is auditory & read/write, but just reading is definitely not my forte. I have to hear things spoken aloud. I need to write things out to understand them. But I do my best when I combine those: taking notes in a classroom while the instructor talks. :)

I've been taking 2 classes this summer semester. I'll be taking either 3 or 4 classes in the fall. It's hard work, BUT!... I'm so glad I'm back in school, even if I am older than everyone sitting around me. :tongue_smilie: I remember being in college when I was 20 and thinking the cute guys were hot. Now I see them and think 'awww.. aren't they cute' from a mother point of view. :lol:

My husband finished his degree online, which worked well for him with a full-time job, a home, a wife, and three babies (at the time). I don't think he could have done it any other way. I know that I could not have handled him being gone all the time, between work and school. I needed his help during those years when the girls were all babies.

He simply put the burden on himself, got up early every morning (3 am or 4 am), did his school work, then went to work. It got done, he graduated, got a MUCH better job because of his degree, and we are paying off the loan without really thinking about it. It's just another bill, KWIM?

The degree was the "ticket" he needed to get out of a dead-end job and enter his current profession. WELL worth it, IMO. HTH. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

Here's some additional info, in case it sways anyone one way or the other...

My kids wouldn't need to be in daycare (9 & 7). However, my husband (firefighter) doesn't exactly work normal hours, so if I go to the local school childcare will be an issue ~ as will getting them to sports, activities, etc.

The online school (Penn State) probably carries more weight than the local university, though the degrees will pretty much be the same.

There will most likely be significantly more debt with Penn State...I won't be able to pull it off without loans. I could probably afford the local university without any loans. I don't like debt.

It's hard to say exact numbers b/c I don't really have a good idea about how long either path will truly take me..

Mostly, I'd like to go back to school b/c it's like this nagging thing that never gets done. I don't particularly plan to use a degree to get a career right now. However, I'd much rather work on a degree now and be ready to work when my kids are through with me, than to start this process again in another 5 or so years.

I've done school with kids before so I'm not really apprehensive about that aspect. At this point I'm just ready to be done with it (and have a degree to show for it)!

Ok, I'm afraid that I'll just keep rambling on if I keep typing.

Thanks again for the input.

I am doing Online University at the moment. I would not be able to go to uni otherwise, the closest one is 400 km away. I find the flexible time great. I have a set amount of work to get done each week, I can choose the time of day that suits me the best. I usually get up at 5 am and do a few hours, and finish off a little in the evenings.:D

Because I am doing my degree part time ( over 7 years instead of 3 1/2) I think I should be able to afford to pay as I go. Though I just found out if I get a student loan for each unit, them pay it off 2 months later, I get a 10% discount, If I pay cash up front, I don't get any discount.:glare:

Do the math. If option A is cheaper in the long run go with it. If the total price of option B is cheaper go with that one. Things to include in the cost of option B are each year's:

tuition

books

sitter

clothes

gas

insurance

vehicle maintenance

You may find that in the long run it is less expensive, less headache with schedules and homeschooling to go with option A.

This was my first thought - is option B really cheaper?

I am doing online school (masters) right now. If I was trying to commute to a "bricks and mortar" school, deal with all the logistics, and not be able to do "class" in my pj's at 9pm - I would never be able to finish.

I know it costs more - but really - if you're paying for childcare, commuting, paying for parking, etc - it won't be all that much more - and I think you'll have more success.

i've had a very positive experience with the online classes, and they are VERY challenging - this is no 'bought' degree.

Good luck!

My commute, not counting stopping to drop off children, was about an hour, depending on traffic. Still, I needed to be away, immersed in my classes.

This is true for me. My drive to school is 45 mins. On the way to school, I'm able to transition from 'Mom' to 'student' so that by the time I get to school, I'm ready to sit, listen, and participate completely. Then on the way home, I'm happy to be going home and by the time I get there, I'm ready to jump back in wherever I'm needed. There is always a 'Mom, can you...' waiting for me. :)

Homework is a bit more challenging for me. The only time I can really focus totally on my homework is in the early morning. I wake up about 6:30am and have a good 4 hours before the kids wake up. Before classes started, I figured I'd sit at the table with the kids during the day and we'd all do our work at the same time. I don't know what I was thinking! I'm too busy jumping from one to the next to get any of my own work done. :tongue_smilie: