Menu

s/o reposting a thread about getting ahead doesn't always mean you are ahead

rafiki

Wow...just wow! Even though we have not hit the Jr.High years yet, I do have an upcoming 4th grader and I will be expecting more from him this year than in the past as far as him taking on more responsibility for completing his assignments on his own, scheduling, and writing, ect. This post came at a good time. I always appreciate hearing tid-bits of wisdom from Janice. Thank you for posting this over here. I would have missed it. :001_smile:

I'm doing much of my planning on my computer and I've got a document where I keep curriculum ideas and a book list for me to read and things I need to remember. Got a few things to add to it!

Thanks!

Thank you, I'll have both a 7th and 8th grader and needed to hear that. There's been some pressure to push my 8th grader ahead (outside the family) and it's not in his area of expertese or even interest. Dh and I decided against it, but it's wonderful to hear reassurance we're on a good path. :001_smile:

Thank you! This is a wonderful post. These are the things that my gut has been telling me and on which I've been dwelling for some time.

:iagree: In fact, I used to teach a study skills program where I worked before I taught elementary school, and I realized recently that my soon-to-be 7th grader (who, yes, is much taller than me and has bigger feet than his dad!) NEEDS these skills NOW! So I'm offering to teach a study skills program to my local hs group so that I make sure I actually teach it to him! I sometimes need to do these things so I stay accountable, because, yes, life happens and before you know it, high school is here and I'm not where I want to be and I haven't prepared my ds like I know I should have.

Thanks so much for the much-needed reminder!

Pam

So how do you do that? When do you start?

Outlining is a study skill. Picking out key words. Spending time in constant review. Recreating, via summary of notes and outline, the material.

I found time management helped w/ their study skills too. I started having them divide up how many pages of X book they needed to read. Yesterday, I sat with my high schooler and had him divide up some math lessons for his schedule. We used DonnaYoung schedules over the last 2 years and that gave him a great example. I started this summer having them order their TOG books from the library (online request are so easy here) so it makes them a)think ahead 2 weeks b)take the initiative to bring learning to them, instead of being handed that learning.

Over the years, b/c their Momma is a list person, they've acquired well how to make and mark a list, but this is also a good jr. high skill.

Pretty much, I found it was time for them to do what I considered "Teacher Prep" for many things.

I read, That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week, as rec. here and it gave me some nice ideas on how to set them straight. It's an easy, quick read.

I forgot to add SuperStar Student from The Teaching Company. Honestly kinda boring, but effective in method.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

I forgot to add SuperStar Student from The Teaching Company. Honestly kinda boring, but effective in method.

I won't say SuperStar Student is riveting - LOL!

But, it gave my DS the confidence that he *could* go back to public school(or off to college) and succeed. This was huge to me, as I think he was honestly afraid that he would be "lost" in the system and not know what to do. That's not the reason why I want him to want to home school iykwim.

Thanks for the book rec~

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing this! It was a wonderful read. My littles are young, but I do realize time flies and before you know it you are there. I am filing this away for future reference and while I try not to plantoo much for the future, I do keep the end goal in mind. Thank you for sharing the wisdom and insight!

To the OP, thanks so much for your post. These are things I've never even thought to consider. My oldest is just entering 2nd grade but I've been looking ahead trying to figure out some goals for high school. I'll be printing your post out and saving it. Thanks :D

:iagree: I see so many hs'ers that go from A - C and lose B in the process of trying to move too fast. Moving a an accelerated pace is fine but not if it means a solid foundation is lacking. It's like building a house...a firm foundation and everything up from there. ;)

Superstar student.

The guy is cheesy, you'll get tired of his hair, but his methodology is sound.

If absolutely nothing else, the part where he shows kids how to map out their time is worth the price.

a

Superstar student.

The guy is cheesy, you'll get tired of his hair, but his methodology is sound.

If absolutely nothing else, the part where he shows kids how to map out their time is worth the price.

a

Love that 80's preppy look! He happens to look exactly like one of our hsing friends, so it was a total blast to listen to, "Our friend" teach each week....still love hair!

Outlining is a study skill. Picking out key words. Spending time in constant review. Recreating, via summary of notes and outline, the material.

I found time management helped w/ their study skills too. I started having them divide up how many pages of X book they needed to read. Yesterday, I sat with my high schooler and had him divide up some math lessons for his schedule. We used DonnaYoung schedules over the last 2 years and that gave him a great example. I started this summer having them order their TOG books from the library (online request are so easy here) so it makes them a)think ahead 2 weeks b)take the initiative to bring learning to them, instead of being handed that learning.

Over the years, b/c their Momma is a list person, they've acquired well how to make and mark a list, but this is also a good jr. high skill.

Pretty much, I found it was time for them to do what I considered "Teacher Prep" for many things.

I read, That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week, as rec. here and it gave me some nice ideas on how to set them straight. It's an easy, quick read.

You rock! Thanks so much! Both of these resources are in my library system and I just requested them.

Blessings,

Angela

That is why I am reading Oxford University press' Ancient Times to educate myself when my kids and I are learning it the first time round with Story of the World 1 and they are 7.5 and 5.5.

I totally understand that we as teacher/mom should get ahead of our kids to develop expertise/familiarity in the area that we DO want to teach ourselves.

I do plan to oursource science because I am weak in it and don't shortchange my kids.

Thanks for the brilliant ideas/wisdom.

J