Menu

What time does your zoo close?

Dh had the day off so we took the girls to the zoo today. We got there around 11:30 a.m. and took our time looking at the exhibits. I was surprised when we were in one of the inside exhibits and they turned out the lights (you could still see enough to exit) at 5:00 p.m. I know it is my fault for not looking to see what time the zoo closed before we went, but I didn't expect them to close so early. It just made me wonder what time other zoos close.

BTW, we are in Texas and lots of people expect to do outdoor activities later in the day after the heat starts to subside some.

We are in Texas too and were surprised and disappointed to find out the zoo we were visiting in St. Louis closes at 5 p.m. We knew ahead of time, but still didn't have enough time to do everything. Our local zoo closes at 7 in the summer.

Oregon Zoo:

9-4 entrance (grounds open until 5) from mid-September to mid-May

9-6 entrance (grounds open to 7) from mid-May to mid-September

December open until 8 or 8:30 pm entrance (grounds close 1 hour later) for ZooLights.

ETA: Ooops. The Oregon Zoo was already mentioned.

The zookeepers like to go home and enjoy their long summer evenings, too!

Many zoos extend summer hours, but the smaller your zoo, the more diffcult it is to keep the staff later (or have additional staff members available for staggered shifs). It's not just about the animals.

Check the activities offered at your zoo. Many do use the longer days to host special educational and fundraising events. Keep in mind that the majority of zoos in America are nonprofit organizations.

The Queens Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Bronx Zoo, & Prospect Park Zoo in NYC close at 5 weekdays and 5:30 weekends in Summer. In winter they close at 4:30 every day.

Staten Island Zoo closes at 4:45 every day all year.

I didn't realize they all closed so early, either.

I just looked and ours closes at five as well. I didn't know that but I guess it does make sense that the staff would need a lot of time to take care of the animals. I assume the animals need time away from people too.