Menu

If your husband gave you a new wedding ring?

So our 10th anniversary is coming up and now that we're stinkin' rich (not really) I'm thinking I'd like to give my wife a new wedding ring to replace the cheap weddingrings.com band we bought when we got married.

I'm interested to hear thoughts and what the consensus is with this one. It's a little out of the ordinary, but unique.

Are you sure she will want to replace her ring? On our tenth anniversary my dh bought me an anniversary ring, sort of like this one, which I wear on my right hand. I'm too sentimental to replace my wedding rings, even if we bought them when we were young and poor.

eta: On the other hand, I have a friend who replaced her "young and poor" wedding rings with a cheap but expensive looking set off of QVC. So, I realize not everyone feels the same about it. :)

eta: To answer your question (sorry, I'm bad about not answering the question that was actually asked), I think that ring is beautiful and unique. I have pretty diverse tastes in jewelry. I like some things that are very classic and some that are different, but my hubby knows what I like.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I really really like it, but if my husband were to replace my wedding ring with a new one (regardless of which) it would still be "just a ring". The wedding ring, however cheap it was, is the one that got used at the wedding. And that's it.

Anything else would not be a wedding ring. At least for me. It would never have the same emotional appeal as the original. I know someone who got married with rubber bands! And they were still wearing rubber bands on their 1oth anniversary (the original rubber bands were kept in a drawer, all dried up)

This is a very personal issue. Your wife may be thrilled with a new wedding ring. But for me, it would just be 'a ring'.

(but a truly gorgeous one! Exactly the type I would wear myself!)

Honestly? I mean, really? (no hard feelings, now) I think the ring you linked to is very masculine and well, not very attractive at all, but then I have no idea what your wife's taste in jewelry is.

That said, I'm with Mrs. Mungo - I would be too sentimental to want a new wedding ring. I'd be extremely content to get the ring she linked to wear on my right hand, though.:)

Wow, that is a unique ring. I like it. My dh and I upgraded our rings at the five year mark. I still own our original bands, but we both wear the upgrades.

I don't know, I'd almost want to upgrade yours and her band at the same time. I would feel bad wearing a nice upgraded ring while my spouse still had the cheaper one.

I also adore that ring:001_wub:, but get way too attached to things and would not be able to let go of my original ring.

Now that I said that, I confess that I ended up being allergic to my original wedding ring (which was some random metal) and would have been thrilled with another one.

I have such a sentimental attachment to my wedding band that I wouldn't want it replaced.

When my husband gave me an anniversary band for our 10th, he chose something for me that fit with my original band. I wear all three parts (engagement ring, wedding band and anniversary ring) together.

Of course, that may be of no concern to your wife. I have two sisters-in-law that have upgraded their wedding sets, actually trading in the originals.

Edited by Crissy

What a lovely idea. My husband and I have both replaced our cheapo wedding bands. I bought him the Martin Luther wedding band and he bought me a diamond engagement ring with a matching band. We both have our original bands and I do wear mine on occassionally. With that being said, I do have a friend who doesn't want a replacement for her original wedding set. If you do buy it for her, don't be hurt if she wears it on the right hand.

Honestly? I mean, really? (no hard feelings, now) I think the ring you linked to is very masculine and well, not very attractive at all, but then I have no idea what your wife's taste in jewelry is.

That said, I'm with Mrs. Mungo - I would be too sentimental to want a new wedding ring. I'd be extremely content to get the ring she linked to wear on my right hand, though.:)

I also agree with Mrs Mungo - I can't imagine parting with my actual wedding ring even if DH came home with a stone twice as big.

I also agree with Kathleen that it wouldn't be my taste at all. It doesn't resemble a wedding band to me and it doesn't look feminine.

Edited by aggieamy

No worries, thanks for being honest. When one is dealing with opinions of art, a thick skin can be useful.

That site has some really nice pieces. I like this one quite a lot. I REALLY love this one, but it's not really wedding/anniversary ring material. So many lovely choices.

Yeah, I really like the second too, but also decided it doesn't replace a wedding band. I don't think she's attached to it, but she does get attached to things.

So...how to figure out if she's attached to her ring with asking if she's attached to her ring. Hmmm? :001_huh:

I think it's a beautiful ring and you should get a matching set and renew your vows, while your at it. :)

Thinking about it. I want to throw a party in September as an "anniversary/I quit my job and my wife is so wonderful because she's supporting the family and letting me homeschool the kids/summers over" party. I was think of asking her to marry me again at the party.

I don't know if I have the guts for that. I'm a weak-kneed, lilly-livered pansy.

That site has some really nice pieces. I like this one quite a lot. I REALLY love this one, but it's not really wedding/anniversary ring material. So many lovely choices.

I decided to browse the site too, and was really impressed with some of the rings until I found this one:

Tekka Maki

And I like the name of this one: (the ring, not so much, I'll always worry about kittens)

http://www.artfulhome.com/product/Lee-Angelo-Marraccini/Wide-Apostrophe-Ring/38459

Thinking about it. I want to throw a party in September as an "anniversary/I quit my job and my wife is so wonderful because she's supporting the family and letting me homeschool the kids/summers over" party. I was think of asking her to marry me again at the party.

I don't know if I have the guts for that. I'm a weak-kneed, lilly-livered pansy.

Oh, my. What a lovely idea.

And think how much it would mean to her knowing how difficult it would be for you to do such a thing.

:)

and then there's the issue of choice...many women feel VERY particular about having a say in choosing wedding rings. don't know if your wife is one of them, but I have noticed many are...almost to the point that they can't enjoy one they didn't choose themselves.

I, however, I think it's very sweet that you want to pick one out.

Yeah, I really like the second too, but also decided it doesn't replace a wedding band. I don't think she's attached to it, but she does get attached to things.

So...how to figure out if she's attached to her ring with asking if she's attached to her ring. Hmmm? :001_huh:

Therein lies the rub.

Think like high school. Ask her best friend to find out for you.

IF she is sentimental about the ring, I'd be willing to bet good money that she is sentimental about your wedding date. If you ask her to marry you again, she will want to wait until your anniversary to do it. Is there any chance of asking her before your anniversary and having the party be a "vow renewal receptions I quit my job and my wife is so wonderful..."

Oh, what a wonderfully romantic idea! You should go for it. We'll all help plan, if you need it.

I think getting something that can be worn alongside would be a great solution...like an anniversary band. If she's not attached to the first one, the second one could stand alone.

ya'll are getting me thinking about a little bling...my 20-year anniversary coming up...I would love to have a keepsake. who wants to talk to my husband?

so I would want to be in on the selection. Dh surprised me with our engagement ring after we'd discussed the kind I liked . . . ;)

I think the ring is beautiful. I'm very traditional for wedding rings, but love unique for other jewelry! I'm not sure I'd want it as an upgraded wedding band . . .

Is this a complete surprise? Has the bride hinted around?

Wedding rings have such a personal attachment and tastes can be so different. A friend of mine didn't care about anything in her engagement ring except the size of the diamond (her mother's was one carat and her sister's was one carat, so, to her, that was necessary for an engagement ring).

I remember one particular occasion years ago when I was upset (without showing him, I PROMISE!) that my dh bought me an expensive necklace to surprise me. I'm not much of a jewelry wearer and I already wore the necklace he'd given me when we were dating all the time. I couldn't figure out what I would do with another necklace! :lol: And if I'd been picking out a necklace, I'd have selected something more delicate. And why would he spend so much money on that when there were so many things we needed/wanted at the time?

I got over it :D and wore the new one every day. It grew on me. I got many compliments and each one reminded me of his delight in buying something special for me.

But I wished he'd said, "I'd like to buy you a new necklace" to see if I wanted one or if I would like to help pick it out. At the time, I mean.

Before surprising her, can you find out if a surprise would be welcome?

I agree. Sorry, but I think it's ugly. One would really, really need to know your spouse's taste and desire for a new or additional ring before getting something, I think. SHE needs to like "unique" because she will feel like she should wear it forever if you get it for her! lol

My 10th anniversary is this fall, and I would love to marry my husband all over again (if I wasn't going to be in my 3rd trimester, extremely busy, exhausted, and penny-pinching!).

I would NOT like to replace my ring though. Our bands may be cheap (I think they were just over $100/ea.), but they've seen us through the past 10 years just fine, and will continue to do so.

Mine only comes off to knead bread, and is replaced with an even cheaper band for a few months at the end of each pregnancy. Unless I die baking or pregnant, I'm going with my ring on! ;)

I've been clear about that from the beginning though.

You want me to start a poll about upgrading your wedding rings? :D

Awwww, she married you once, didn't she?

I decided to browse the site too, and was really impressed with some of the rings until I found this one:

Tekka Maki

:lol:

And I like the name of this one: (the ring, not so much, I'll always worry about kittens)

http://www.artfulhome.com/product/Lee-Angelo-Marraccini/Wide-Apostrophe-Ring/38459

Oh my gosh, be still my heart!

ya'll are getting me thinking about a little bling...my 20-year anniversary coming up...I would love to have a keepsake. who wants to talk to my husband?

My husband could call him...

Let's see you quit your job to homeschool your children and your lily-livered. I don't think so, dude.

In response to the original question: DH gave me what most people would consider to be a small engagement ring. When we married my wedding band is more along the lines of an anniversary band (it has 5 diamonds in it). Neither ring would make the cover of a magazine. I badgered DH to get me a bigger ring for our 10th anniversary. I complained about my original rings for years (more money should mean a bigger diamond, right?). When he finally decided to get me a new 'engagement' ring (around year 15) I didn't want it. As I have matured (which I really needed to do) I have determined that the rings DH saved up for and bought me when he was young are the ones I want. These rings were purchased with a sacrificial heart, chosen out of love and given with devotion.

One of the diamonds fell out of the wedding band and we didn't replace it for a couple of years. I quit wearing my engagement ring because it kept slipping w/o the other ring to hold it in place. We bought a plain gold band for me to wear because I liked the idea of wearing a ring.

One day DH asked me to run some errands with him. He stopped at a jewlry store and asked me if I wanted to look around. We went in and DH surprised me - he had taken my rings in and had them repaired and cleaned. I didn't know he had removed them from my jewelry box. He did it all on his own. That to me was better than a newer ' better' ring.

Anyhow that's my story.

We men may be crude at times, what with our snot rockets and all, but oh you women can be so devious.

Well, that depends. If you had married an ENTJ, you would know exactly what she thinks of upgrading rings by now. That's why my hubby never asked about upgrading my rings, lol.

...Anyhow that's my story.

I appreciate you sharing. Believe me, our bands are the equivalent of a Kmart blue light special.

I like the idea of having a friend ask around. It would be much safer as she generally doesn't like surprises of this magnitude. Although sometimes a husband just has to make a decision and apologize later.

Like my new bike, I'm still apologizing for that one. In retrospect, I should have asked on that occasion.

Personally- I don't find that ring very attractive either. I'd be disappointed to be expected to wear something I didn't like (or feel guilty if I didn't) and I'd want to throw up if/when I found out the price lol. I could think of so many things I'd rather do with that kind of money than get a piece of jewelry that didn't have as much sentimental value as the ring I actually exchanged my vows with, and which I didn't love. I mean LOVE. And I wouldn't even really LIKE that one, going by its looks.

You know your wife's tastes better than we do! But before getting something so pricey and "unique" I'd probably want to involve her in the decision, rather than springing it on her as a surprise.

I do think taking her somewhere nice and maybe renewing vows would be a lovely gesture, though.

I actually like the ring very much. However, it would never replace my wedding ring. I'm romantic that way - the original ring he slipped on my finger during our wedding - you know. Your wife might be very different, though. Has she ever mentioned replacing her wedding ring before? Anyway, I think it's a very sweet and thoughtful idea.

I think getting something that can be worn alongside would be a great solution...like an anniversary band. If she's not attached to the first one, the second one could stand alone.

...my original "young & poor" set. It wasn't elaborate, so it went just fine with the original. My anniversary band looks like this one.

In addition to the other questions people have posed, I would ask yourself whether you are liking the ring in the abstract or whether you would just love to death to see it on your wife. Rings are so personal, and it's important to picture this in its most important setting--on your wife's hand. I say this because I love the ring in the picture, but don't think it would look very good on me.

I actually like the ring very much. However, it would never replace my wedding ring. I'm romantic that way - the original ring he slipped on my finger during our wedding - you know. Your wife might be very different, though. Has she ever mentioned replacing her wedding ring before? Anyway, I think it's a very sweet and thoughtful idea.

Ha Ha! But what if we renewed our vows? Then I could give her a new one.

if you think your wife would like the band in question, and if she may be sentimental about the original, perhaps you would like to do a vow renewal ceremony and have the priest / pastor bless the new ring.

i would have a hard time changing rings because these were the ones that were blessed. the only way i would is if there was a renewal of vows.

what i'm hoping for sometime is a sapphire / diamond baguette to go with my diamond.

Because we had no money when we got married we also replaced our rings about 4 years ago. I had never had the experience of looking at diamonds with "my guy" and he had never had the chance to buy the diamond and surprise. It was a wonderful experience together and I cherish these rings more the previous rings. :)

Ha Ha! But what if we renewed our vows? Then I could give her a new one.

Now I would love to renew our vows. In fact, this year was our 25th, but dh always says something like, "I meant the first ones with all my heart and soul. Wasn't that good enough?" Geez. Good for him I'm still crazy head over heels in love.