Menu

What do you think of this story?

I came across this today. I don't know if he his innocent or not but I do feel that this is why people don't want to get involved. Many years ago I witnessed a very little girl wandering away from her mom and I stopped her from going into traffic. The mom was not at all happy with me and I wonder if it has only become worse. What says the hive?

I think the teen's alibi and story is shaky, but who knows.

I know what you mean. I was sitting at the park and their was a baseball game going on. It was a family baseball game. Maybe two. It was very large. Anyways, there was a woman who had a three year old son and he wandered away and towards me. He almost walked into the busy intersection. I picked him up and when I brought the screaming, kicking child to his mother who STILL hadn't noticed he was missing, she said oh and gave him a juice box.

Not to mention her and her significant other/friend/cousin/brother/whatever were smoking a joint. But that is a whole other story...

I still help, though. I would feel terrible if I didn't.

Last year I was at the Aquarium, and a little tiny girl was crying her way through a crowded gallery. No one noticed--it was so weird. I went over to her and told her that I would help her find her mommy, and brought her out to the ticket collector guard so they could say something on the loudspeaker. Just then the mom came running out. They had been in different rooms. You know, a 2 year old shouldn't really be on their own in a strange, crowded place. It's just not reasonable.

But what if the mom had seen me leading this child out of the room she had been in, rather than over by the guard, having done the handoff? Not such a great thing to think about.

Well, it sounds like even the mother of the little girl didn't think he was trying to kidnap her (the mom thanked him and his mother). It sounds like the police just had to follow through since the clerk called 911. Tough lesson to learn for the guy, though (the "find an employee to help the child immediately" lesson). It's easy for me to think like that as a mom--I know how *I'd* feel if it were my child who was lost and how likely I'd be to think the worst if I saw someone leading my child away, esp. out of the building. A teenage guy most likely isn't going to "get" that, though.

Well, it sounds like even the mother of the little girl didn't think he was trying to kidnap her (the mom thanked him and his mother). It sounds like the police just had to follow through since the clerk called 911. Tough lesson to learn for the guy, though (the "find an employee to help the child immediately" lesson). It's easy for me to think like that as a mom--I know how *I'd* feel if it were my child who was lost and how likely I'd be to think the worst if I saw someone leading my child away, esp. out of the building. A teenage guy most likely isn't going to "get" that, though.

I think that was why I had trouble believing his story. To me, it would have been common sense to bring the child to an employee whether I thought the mother left or not. That way, if the mother was in the store she could come get her child. If the mother left, she would know where to look first.

But I also have to remember my common sense isn't he. He may know some common sense things I don't. I just pray that he really wasn't kidnapping her and was just not sure how to handle the situation at hand.

I lean toward believing the teen - he was with his mom, and he wasn't old enough to be driving, so not like he could take the girl off in a car somewhere. I think he just wasn't mature enough to handle the situation correctly. I'm wondering if the fact that he is black is a strike against him. I'd hate to see him vilified if he really was trying to help the little girl.

My husband and I saw a mother in Target crying her eyes out, someone mentioned that she had lost her daughter, we left the store and as we were walking out of the doors a little girl by herself sauntered past us, obviously looking for someone. DH and I both knew it was her but dare not get involved. Had she been walking in another direction we would have said something but as long as she kept going, she would have found her mum (and obviously did because we didn't hear of anything). It was a scary on the spot decision to make though.

My kids have a knack for finding lost kids. They are observant and outgoing. We once found a lost little boy at the state fair, he was probably around 3 years old. I took his hand and went to ask a ride operator where to take lost children. He waved in the direction of a shady looking security guard who was smoking. I was just asking where I could take him, myself (because I was not handin him over to the security guard) when the mom swooped him up. She was crying and upset but not with me. What if I had been a teen boy with the same instincts?

It sounds really sad. Poor kid, trying to help and he gets arrested for it. If he was planning to abduct the kid, he'd hardly be there with his mother and I'm sure he would have got the hell out of there instead of sticking around. What kind of sucky lesson has that teen learnt? :(

It sounds like he was trying to help her. I mean, 14 years old? There with his mother? Returned to his mother after the mother found the little girl? And had no getaway vehicle? All of that points to his being innocent if you ask me. If he is, I feel really bad for him. You can't even help people in today's society.

This is really scary. My ds13 is incredibly sweet, kind-hearted and has a soft spot for little kids. He's also the same size, height and weight as dh! I'm sure if he found a crying, lost little kid looking up at him, he would take his hand, try to comfort him, and try to find his mom. I think he would have the sense to go to an employee immediately, and I'm sure he would never dream of taking the child outside the store. Still, it had never occurred to me that a good samaritan could be accused of kidnapping in this situation. Naive, I guess. I would probably have a twinge of panic if I saw my dc, outside the doors of the store, holding the hand of a man-looking person, but as soon as they turned and re-entered the store, I would realize he was only helping, and thank him profusely.

Once when said ds was 3, he went missing from a boutique inside a mall. He was watching a movie in the kids' corner, and I was only 5 feet away behind a rack, with baby dd in her stroller. Apparently, he looked up at one point and couldn't see me (behind him!), so he walked out of the store looking for me. When I saw he was gone, I ran into the mall area, looking up and down the long corridor. He had made it about 4-5 stores away, and a 40-something woman was talking to him, obviously trying to get info. to help him find me. I was so thrilled and relieved to find him (as was he), and very grateful to this nice lady. It never once occurred to me that she might try to run off with him!

I guess this is another reality-check talk to have with ds, and to keep in mind myself, since my whole family is inclined to "help" in many situations.

Wow, just wow. I don't understand why the clerk would call 911 so fast instead of finding out what was going on first. I don't mean that she was totally in the wrong but she could have written down the description of the 14 yo and the little girl and if they had actually left as in like stepped more than a few yards from the door then call 911, I mean how did she know it wasn't an uncle or older sibling?

Edited by melissamathews

I think that was why I had trouble believing his story. To me, it would have been common sense to bring the child to an employee whether I thought the mother left or not.

It sounds like maybe things just lined up a certain way with this though - he saw the ladies by the door, saw the kid, made an assumption based on what he'd seen and acted on *that* .... had those ladies not been by the door at that particular time or whatever, he may very well have asked a cashier/etc what to do...

I know that I've been in situations before where I made assumptions based on circumstances/whatever and had them turn out to be completely wrong... and this is a younger individual with a lot less life experience/etc.

We were at an amusement park a few years ago and I found a three yr old girl lost. I immediately went over and picked her up, and a man came up to me and said "Thanks, I saw she was lost and I've been watching her, but I was afraid to help her." We found the mom, who was pretty much "oh, there she is".

Mom needed her butt kicked, and the man was smart not to touch girly.

It sounds like maybe things just lined up a certain way with this though - he saw the ladies by the door, saw the kid, made an assumption based on what he'd seen and acted on *that* .... had those ladies not been by the door at that particular time or whatever, he may very well have asked a cashier/etc what to do...

I know that I've been in situations before where I made assumptions based on circumstances/whatever and had them turn out to be completely wrong... and this is a younger individual with a lot less life experience/etc.

Yeah, I'd have probably done the same as he if I thought the mom had just walked out. By the time I got an employee on it, mom could be gone.

It's just unfortunate...

The race thing, if true, regarding the officer, chaps my hide.

That story makes me so sad for my son. I hate that he is growing up in a society in which males who are interested in children are automatically under suspicion.

Yes, my sensitive 14yo would do the same. He's certainly seen me do it enough times. :glare: Why don't mothers watch their kids?!

I think that was why I had trouble believing his story. To me, it would have been common sense to bring the child to an employee whether I thought the mother left or not. That way, if the mother was in the store she could come get her child. If the mother left, she would know where to look first.

But I also have to remember my common sense isn't he. He may know some common sense things I don't. I just pray that he really wasn't kidnapping her and was just not sure how to handle the situation at hand.

Yes, but he is 14. IMO it is very plausible he does not have the common sense at that age. Plus he was with his mother and they continued shopping instead of fleeing.

MY 2 cents:)

This story makes me want to cry, because I can see one of my dear nephews, brothers or my son when he gets older being put in a situation like this. I have a lot of male family members that are very sweet and have a good big brother personality - who have taken good care of their sisters/nieces/cousins/female friends because they were TAUGHT to do this from birth, and never allowed by their mothers to mistreat, neglect or ignore their sisters/nieces/cousins/female friends and to help them as much as they can. It just happens that most males in our family are at least 6ft tall by age 14 or 15, and could most definitely be accused of something they would NEVER in a million years even think of. And they'd be put in that situation for that EXACT reason - that they'd never in a million years even think about it.

This story makes me want to cry, because I can see one of my dear nephews, brothers or my son when he gets older being put in a situation like this. I have a lot of male family members that are very sweet and have a good big brother personality - who have taken good care of their sisters/nieces/cousins/female friends because they were TAUGHT to do this from birth, and never allowed by their mothers to mistreat, neglect or ignore their sisters/nieces/cousins/female friends and to help them as much as they can. It just happens that most males in our family are at least 6ft tall by age 14 or 15, and could most definitely be accused of something they would NEVER in a million years even think of. And they'd be put in that situation for that EXACT reason - that they'd never in a million years even think about it.

This is how I have been raising my DSs. It hurts my heart that it could someday be misconstrued to be something evil. :(

My heart goes out to that young man. And kudos to HIS mother for raising such a good kid.

Yes, my sensitive 14yo would do the same. He's certainly seen me do it enough times. :glare: Why don't mothers watch their kids?!

Some kids are just so fast. My middle dd disappeared once in a Burlington Coat Factory and another time in K-Mart. Scared me to death both times. At least K-Mart had a procedure in place for lost kids. The workers at BCF were just clueless and no help at all.

Some kids are just so fast.

Oh, I know. It just seems I see little kids wandering around by themselves all the time. I can't tell you the number of times I've taken a scared looking little kid by the hand in a store and gone off in search of his/her mother. Sometimes they don't even realize the child is not with them. :glare:

Unfortunately, I think it is prudent to teach all males to solicit the help of other adult females when they spot a lost child. Actually it is probably a good idea for females as well. I am thinking you could stand guard and call out to other adults that there may be a lost child or something like that. Then, of course, I will make sure to teach my son not to leave a store with a lost child and to go to the cashiers for help.

Tigersgrowl is only 16, thus the comparison, but even in those couple of years a lot can change and hindsight is 20/20.

No kidnapper would go back in the store and continue shopping with their mother.

Oh, that makes sense. I was particularily remembering my own lack of sense at that age since hindsight is 20/20;)