Menu

Do you homeschool an Only Child?

:bigear:

Thanks so much for posting this Ellen! I had wondered what it would be like to homeschool without the stereotypical 14 children.

Although I am currently pregnant with our second, we're not even half-way through the pregnancy...and so many things can go wrong. (I am over 40 and overweight).

Loverboy goes into the doctor on Wednesday to get snipped, so if this pregnancy does not end well, we will love our dd as much as we can...and homeschool an only.

Thank you again.

I did want to ask, "What things should others know about homeschooling an only?"

How many of you are homeschooling your only child? It has been a great experience for us and we love it. Can you share your experiences?

:grouphug:

I homeschool an only, but he half siblings have been in and out of the house his whole life and they were public schooled. So he gets jaded about homeschooling sometimes. Right now he's insisting on public school. I think we've compromised. We have a place that offers classes to homeschoolers. So he would spend 1 day, the whole day, in class and have homework.

Anyway, I don't know how people with multiple kids do it! My son wears me out!

My dd is an only and I love having the freedom to teach only her, head off on trails to feed her interests, read to her as much as we both want w/o interruption, etc. The only thing that I worry about is not having built in playmates readily available. Our street is mostly older people whose kids have grown up and have families of their own. She does have friends but the distance and schedules requires concerted efforts on the parts of all families to get the kids together. It was so much easier to have friends before the school years began. That is my only misgiving about this journey of teaching an only.

Even though I have three children, I opened this thread because there is such a big age gap between the baby and the next oldest--8 years.

So when my baby starts kindergarten, the middle one will be in 8th grade! And the oldest will be a high school senior. :001_huh: So in many ways, HSing the youngest will be like HSing an only--he won't be able to combine classes like I've been able to do with science and history with my older boys now. And most of his years of learning will be spent with him the only kid at home.

There are lots of reasons I'd like to have one more child, SOON (I am 41) but one of the biggest is that I'd like the little one to have someone close in age to do school with. But I don't get pg or stay pg easily, and DH isn't open to adoption, so I just don't know if it's going to happen.

So it is encouraging to read that so many of you enjoy teaching your "onlies".

We have 2 bios who have both graduated from public school. We adopted our youngest 4 years ago from China and she will essentially be an only as well. (she just turned 6) I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand it will be fun to just let her stray off the path and learn about whatever peaks her interest at any particular time but I do worry about how exhausting it is to be her constant companion 24/7. We too live in a neighborhood of older people so the only time she gets to spend with kids close to her age is at church or dance class. We also live in a small community that does not have any homeschool coops so I am torn over that as well.

Thanks for starting this thread, sometimes it feels like we are alone in the homeschooling world with only one child.

Dawn

My only is a rising 5th grader. We started in prek/k (at age 4--she was in a half day preschool 4 days a week, but we started reading and basic math at that age at home). I can't honestly say I've loved *every* minute of it (especially as we just wrestled with a rather long and, IMO, needlessly frustrating math lesson!) ;), but overall I wouldn't trade the experience.

My daughter is very social and has not had a neighborhood friend until just a few months ago, despite the fact that we moved into a neighborhood with a lot of kids when she was 5. She has had extremely good friends she sees frequently who come from our homeschool support group (it isn't a co-op setting, though, as some folks seem to equate the two), as well as a few friends from church and the library. She basically comes out of any interaction with other kids with a "friend," but I consider these her true friends. It does mean that she doesn't have another child with whom to interact 24/7 or even 7 days a week, but I don't see that as a huge problem. She has the opportunity to learn how to entertain herself and develop her own interests ("bored" always brings an opportunity for me to find her something constructive to do:D). It can be a bit of a challenge as I am an introvert and she really isn't. It would have been nice to have another child, but that wasn't in the cards for us.

We have been very deliberate about having her involved with activities with other kids---aikido classes (at younger ages she tried dance and gymnastics), Girl Scouts, classes/activities at the library, summer camp, neighborhood swim team, etc. We do go a lot, though that has lessened a bit as I have learned that it is not necessary for her to take *every* class or go to *every* educational opportunity available *right now*. We are much pickier now than we were when she was 5 about how we spend our time.

I home school an only. We start K in the fall (did Pre K) last year. DS is PG and I couldn't imagine him in a public school. He would be bored out of his mind.

He does wear me out, but some of it is my own doing. We are using a great deal of curriculum for the coming year and so we have some tough days ahead of us. We also have some really fun days, too.

DS is a joy to be around, gets along great with adults and older peers. He is our little spitfire and I love teaching him.

One of the differences in teaching an only - I am often looked at like the three headed Martian because of some of the curriculum we tackle. If I were teaching several children, I wouldn't be able to do as much as I do with DS.

My "only" just finished 4th grade in PS. She will start 5th grade HS'ing . Im super excited and so is she! ( I just sent the LOI this morning. :D)

This is going to be a wonderful journey! Giving her the chance to explore beyond those brick walls ! ;)

Im not sure if I could do more then one child though.. ?? Maybe if I wasnt a single parent.

But overall I think its going to be a wonderful opportunity to learn so much for both of us together! :D

...My daughter is very social and has not had a neighborhood friend until just a few months ago, despite the fact that we moved into a neighborhood with a lot of kids when she was 5. She has had extremely good friends she sees frequently who come from our homeschool support group (it isn't a co-op setting, though, as some folks seem to equate the two), as well as a few friends from church and the library. She basically comes out of any interaction with other kids with a "friend," but I consider these her true friends. It does mean that she doesn't have another child with whom to interact 24/7 or even 7 days a week, but I don't see that as a huge problem. She has the opportunity to learn how to entertain herself and develop her own interests ("bored" always brings an opportunity for me to find her something constructive to do:D). It can be a bit of a challenge as I am an introvert and she really isn't. It would have been nice to have another child, but that wasn't in the cards for us.

We have been very deliberate about having her involved with activities with other kids---aikido classes (at younger ages she tried dance and gymnastics), Girl Scouts, classes/activities at the library, summer camp, neighborhood swim team, etc. We do go a lot, though that has lessened a bit as I have learned that it is not necessary for her to take *every* class or go to *every* educational opportunity available *right now*. We are much pickier now than we were when she was 5 about how we spend our time.

Doodle is also very social and like your daughter makes instant "friends" with everyone he meets. We are new to the area and I am trying hard to help him find some regular connections with other boys. He is taking karate and I plan to look into Boy Scouts. And like you, I am an introvert. It amazes me how much my son can be so very much exactly like me in many ways, yet completely opposite in that respect.

I homeschool an only, who is in 2nd grade.

What I have noticed compared to my friends with more than one, the only child needs more one on one time devoted to them because they don't have siblings to play with. Mom has more time, so this works out. I also think that with more than one, it's sometimes harder to get all the academics done. Academics with an only is more straightforward-one math program etc, and no fighting with siblings! However, the onlies social life can be harder. I have to work harder at making sure that my dd is out in the world, and has plenty of opportunities for socializing. I can't just say, "Go play in the yard with your sister." I have to plan something a lot of the time. I have to be more willing to have people over, and more willing to go out to activities. I feel I have to sign my dd up for more activities, and that can cost a lot.

I was worried about homeschooling a "lonely only" at first, but as long as you're aware of the challenges, it's a great experience for everyone involved!

Doodle is also very social and like your daughter makes instant "friends" with everyone he meets. We are new to the area and I am trying hard to help him find some regular connections with other boys. He is taking karate and I plan to look into Boy Scouts. And like you, I am an introvert. It amazes me how much my son can be so very much exactly like me in many ways, yet completely opposite in that respect.

Depending on his age, finding a group that has something like park days or other opportunities for free play in addition to the organized ones might help. I was really concerned it would be hard for us as we are not Christians and many of the groups and activities for homeschoolers in our area are definitely so, including requiring a statement of faith to participate. I was also not thrilled about going the totally secular route as that seems here to be of the "don't ask, don't tell" approach to religion and that didn't sound comfortable either. We were incredibly lucky to find a good inclusive group where folks are interested in learning from each other about living in a diverse culture ("diverse" in diverse ways, not just religiously;)).

Homeschooling my only son -- he'll be in 10th this Fall. He is an Aspie/OCD, but an ABSOLUTE delight to teach! I used to teach at a classical charter school that was academically rigorous and fast paced. Son has a rare liver disease and while in 3rd grade, fell into a coma. We pulled him out of private school and began homeschooling. I had to learn to teach to his strengths and back off my "rigorous/fast paced" teaching style. I have really enjoyed the journey!

I agree with those who say it is exhausting and much like a social director -- when son was younger, we'd be busy with outside clubs like 4H and extracurricular classes. Now that he is a teen our local hs support group has limited things for the junior high and senior high kids. So, now, a group of us parents created a social group for the teens. It has been 3 years being with this group for things like BUNCO or field days and is very fun. Son is active in Drama and we try to get him plugged in with friends. A lot of work. I only have a few years left... a little sad about that. :grouphug:

Edited by tex-mex

Anyway, I don't know how people with multiple kids do it! My son wears me out!

It is my firm opinion -- and you just can't beat an opinion from someone who has no experience in the other camp -- that moms with more than one child have it so.much.easier!!! How often can we say, "Go play with your sister."

I cannot believe that having more than one is more work. One is the biggest handful when it comes to kids, I think.

How many of you are homeschooling your only child? It has been a great experience for us and we love it. Can you share your experiences?

:grouphug:

We are blessed with an only child...our 11 yo dd enters 6th grade this fall and at the same time we're entering our 7th year homeschooling.

My dh and I had planned on more children not only for us, but we think that most kids benefit from having siblings. Our dd wishes she had a sibling, preferably a sister now that she's getting older and approaching very young womanhood. Sheryl <><

My dd is an only and I love having the freedom to teach only her, head off on trails to feed her interests, read to her as much as we both want w/o interruption, etc. The only thing that I worry about is not having built in playmates readily available. Our street is mostly older people whose kids have grown up and have families of their own. She does have friends but the distance and schedules requires concerted efforts on the parts of all families to get the kids together. It was so much easier to have friends before the school years began. That is my only misgiving about this journey of teaching an only.

This is very similar to my feeling on the matter. I do feel a good bit of sorrow mixed in at times but I notice that that seems to be in a waning phase lately. Maybe I'm getting over it? I really had wanted a large family but I can also say that I really enjoy having one, also. I enjoy it and letting go of that sorrow has made it even more enjoyable.

My daughter, on the other hand, is desperate for siblings. This causes me a bit of sorrow, as well. I wish she would just be happy being an only but she often says she's lonely. Having said that, we like to have a kid or two over for the day sometimes and by the end of the day, my girl is worn out. She loves having them over but says that as much as she hates for them to go, she's also ready for them to go. I try to get her to understand that there are many great things about being a singleton.

So when my baby starts kindergarten, the middle one will be in 8th grade! And the oldest will be a high school senior. :001_huh: So in many ways, HSing the youngest will be like HSing an only--he won't be able to combine classes like I've been able to do with science and history with my older boys now. And most of his years of learning will be spent with him the only kid at home.

I respectfully disagree. Homeschooling the only one left or the only one at home right now or the only one that lives with you or the only one that homeschools, et c. is not like homeschooling an only. You, as a mother, are coming from a different place in the world. This is not your only . . . your only. The only one you have and likely will ever have. This is not the sole child you have been grace with. All your experiences with your other children come to bear. The world of a person with an only and the world of a person with several but only one home right now are, imho, vastly different and the experiences, emotions, et c. are vastly different as well.

Also, I dont' think the experience of the child is particularly comperable either. For one, s/he has a parent that has other kids. S/he has siblings. The child with siblings is a child with siblings no matter where they live or how old they are.

It's just different.

Yes, I do see that you can't combine classes, et c. and they won't have friends in common or very many common interests but, they'll still be sibs.

:D:lol::tongue_smilie: just b/c I felt I might be coming across a little . . . too emotional on the subject. I just disagree, that's all. No big deal.

I respectfully disagree. Homeschooling the only one left or the only one at home right now or the only one that lives with you or the only one that homeschools, et c. is not like homeschooling an only. You, as a mother, are coming from a different place in the world. This is not your only . . . your only. The only one you have and likely will ever have. This is not the sole child you have been grace with. All your experiences with your other children come to bear. The world of a person with an only and the world of a person with several but only one home right now are, imho, vastly different and the experiences, emotions, et c. are vastly different as well.

Also, I dont' think the experience of the child is particularly comperable either. For one, s/he has a parent that has other kids. S/he has siblings. The child with siblings is a child with siblings no matter where they live or how old they are.

It's just different.

Yes, I do see that you can't combine classes, et c. and they won't have friends in common or very many common interests but, they'll still be sibs.

:D:lol::tongue_smilie: just b/c I felt I might be coming across a little . . . too emotional on the subject. I just disagree, that's all. No big deal.

:iagree:

I have only one ds, who has just turned 10. We have homeschooled from time his pre-k teacher said it was odd and not normal that a child should want to play on their own and not with other kids; ds was acting out Lord of the Rings, and the other kids wanted to play with trucks. I mean, what is more fun, killing orcs and and having a magic ring, or trucks?

There is a world of difference between having just one child, and having children that have a big age gap between them. If you have more than one, you have experience of how to raise the next in line. When you have just the one, you only really get one chance to do something, there is no second chance. There have been times when I have been my ds only friend. I do not have the option of sending him off to play with his siblings, even if they are a lot older. Do you know how tiring it can be, playing army men on the front lawn with a 7 yo?

But, I would not trade having an only for anything. Yes, I may get worn out and frustrated that I can't send him to play with his siblings. But, it is such a delight to be able to focus all my attention on one person.

I've been homeschooling our only (ds10) since K4 - we'll begin 5th grade in August. Homeschooling has been rewarding for us and I can't imagine any other education option for him! It's not always easy; in fact sometimes it's trying, but it's always worth it!

I wanted to add: I'm so glad to see so many 'homeschooling onlies'! It's encouraging to know we're not the only one!

Shari

You are so right! Sometimes you do feel like you are the only "only child" homeschooler in a group. But being a Super Singleton should be celebrated:D daily, because there are days we really need to me reminded that they are Super Singletons!

This is very similar to my feeling on the matter. I do feel a good bit of sorrow mixed in at times but I notice that that seems to be in a waning phase lately. Maybe I'm getting over it? I really had wanted a large family but I can also say that I really enjoy having one, also. I enjoy it and letting go of that sorrow has made it even more enjoyable.

My daughter, on the other hand, is desperate for siblings. This causes me a bit of sorrow, as well. I wish she would just be happy being an only but she often says she's lonely. Having said that, we like to have a kid or two over for the day sometimes and by the end of the day, my girl is worn out. She loves having them over but says that as much as she hates for them to go, she's also ready for them to go. I try to get her to understand that there are many great things about being a singleton.

My Super Singleton wants sibs right now...immediately! Any day now we expect to see him outside with protest signs saying "Parents Unfair Won't Supply Spare Heir", "Give Me Sib or I am telling Grandma!"

Part of it is because we moved across country and left his best friends. My best friend homeschools her seven kids and they were constantly at our house. So he got the feeling of having kids there but they went home and he enjoyed his one on one time with us. I have tried to explain sibs aren't like friends, the don't go home when you are tired of playing, sometimes they will not leave you alone and you have to share everything.

It broke my heart last week when he said "I just want to be like other people and have a brother or sister. I just want normal." First I asked what did he think normal was...two kids boy and girl and two parents. Someone to play with but different enough that they would go play with their Barbies and leave him alone sometime. I told him I understood why he wanted that, I do but I like to celebrate what we have.

I explained that normal really isn't "normal". That everyone is different, even if we had the two kids and two parents we still wouldn't be advertised "normal" because we homeschool or or have allergies or we love reading books and taking family walks.

I try to let him know he is being heard but also focus on the beauty that is our life.

My son and I are very outgoing. He meets friends where ever he goes. When we moved last year it was top on my list to get him with other kids because that is how he thrives. So we did Parkdays, help founded a Lego club for boys, scouts, church groups and community center classes.

Some days I feel like Julie from the Love Boat. "At 1pm there will be Pee Wee Basketball on the Ledo deck and snack time at the Library with Boys Reading group." :D:party:

But as our curriculum picks up this year we are learning the fine art of slowing down and actually having "home" time for schooling.:chillpill:

:iagree:That's how I've always felt too. :lol:

:iagree: There are days that I can not take one more minute of Lego building or talking about Star Wars weapons systems. But God love him for having that type of energy. It will serve him well as he get older and it keeps me moving. But I could seriously use a tall glass of energy about 4pm most days.:sleep::willy_nilly:

It is so great to hear all of these wonderful "homeschooling an only" stories! I do not have "an only", but I have a dd (4) that will be an only throughout her schooling. My oldest ds is 17 and my middle dd is 13 1/2. So when my now 4 yr old starts kindergarten, my middle will be in high school and my ds will be in college. I have had concerns, but it is good to hear that others are doing this successfully! We will definately be joining a co-op (something we have never done) and doing lots of fun educational activities! She is already extremely outgoing and she is athletic. I think that as long as we keep her active in sports, she will be ok with being at home. Thanks for this thread! :D

I wanted to add: I'm so glad to see so many 'homeschooling onlies'! It's encouraging to know we're not the only one!

YAY for ONLIES!!!! It's often hard to make others realize that we face the same challenges as other homeschooling moms face, as well as different ones. I've even had people say to me, on more than on occasion, that it "doesn't count" if you have only one child. THAT'S not being a REAL MOTHER. :001_huh:

I homeschool our only, dd who just turned 13. She attended PS from K-April of her 2nd grade year but then we brought her home. She'll go to high school somewhere--- perhaps not our public---- after next year, which will be her 8th grade year.

astrid

I've homeschooled an "only" for 4 years--dd will be in 9th grade this year and if anyone ask "when are you going back to public school," her answer is an emphatic "NEVER!"

It is absolutely the right choice for our family. I know some extended family members were concerned about us hs'ing an only, but I think we've silenced them with the results.

YAY for ONLIES!!!! It's often hard to make others realize that we face the same challenges as other homeschooling moms face, as well as different ones. I've even had people say to me, on more than on occasion, that it "doesn't count" if you have only one child. THAT'S not being a REAL MOTHER. :001_huh:

:svengo: TO YOUR FACE?! How absurd. :confused:

:svengo: TO YOUR FACE?! How absurd. :confused:

Yes. To my face. AND it was a family member (dh's side.)

She went on to say how having one is "basically just playing with dolls," and if I had another, or five, then I'd know what it's like to REALLY be a mother. :001_huh:

I was so shocked, and mumbled something about having gone through labor and delivery made me **** sure I was a mother, and literally have not forgiven her totally to this day. It's without a doubt the most hurtful thing anyone has EVER said to me. Now see? I'm getting all worked up about it all over again and it was 8 years ago!

UGH! Some PEOPLE!

astrid

She went on to say how having one is "basically just playing with dolls," and if I had another, or five, then I'd know what it's like to REALLY be a mother. :001_huh:

I was so shocked, and mumbled something about having gone through labor and delivery made me **** sure I was a mother, and literally have not forgiven her totally to this day. It's without a doubt the most hurtful thing anyone has EVER said to me. Now see? I'm getting all worked up about it all over again and it was 8 years ago!

UGH! Some PEOPLE!

astrid

:grouphug::grouphug: I had a "nice little" c-section when ds was born, preceded by 36 hours of labor, which I barely remember. My scar follows a previous surgical scar so it's from my chest all the way down. I would have been so tempted to lift my shirt and tell that person I am a mother and I have the scars to prove it.

Some people only look ignorant, others prove it when they open their mouths. :glare:

UGH! Some PEOPLE!

astrid

Unbelievable!!!

The nerve of some people! And a relative to boot!

As a Catholic with one child, I can tell you . . . there is no end to the comments that the truly ignorant can make. :( Sorry you had to hear that.

On the other hand, at least it wasn't as bad as some one commenting to someone on this board about her adopted children: you were either in a hurry or just not picky enough (to paraphrase, I can't remember the exact comment). I can't remember who was on the receiving end of that comment but I gotta say, it's a testament to her amazing self-controll that the other woman still walks among us.

We will definately be joining a co-op (something we have never done) and doing lots of fun educational activities!

So far (going into 5th grade, started in prek), we haven't found a need for a co-op, but that also may be because there's not one in the area that I am aware of that would be a reasonable fit for us. They are all extremely Christian-specific. So, don't feel that you can't do an only without a co-op (of course, also don't feel you can't do it with one;)).

It's been interesting reading about all the others homeschooling only children. My DD is an only, and we are just beginning our homeschooling journey. I am not a very social person, so I have to make concentrated efforts to seek out friends for her and remember that not everyone is like me. (I only have 3 friends... I would rather be alone than with other people.)

Although I have to admit, I hope she won't be an only forever. But she will be at least 12 before I have another (if I have another), so we will be schooling like this for a long time.

I have just one, and she's going into 8th grade. She was in public school for a few years. We've both really enjoyed the past few years of homeschooling. I was worried at first about having enough time to help her with school since I work from home, but it's really worked out okay. We just both do our own projects at the same time, and I do the school planning on weekends and in the evenings mostly. My daughter is pretty outgoing and we do lots of volunteer work and things outside the house, so there's never really been a lack of companionship. We are around others a lot. She's also good with using her alone time for reading, art, and other projects, so I don't think she's ever been a lonely only.