Menu

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already put MUS alpha and primer, WWE3, FLL 3, and OPGTR, in folders. I am printing everything for MFW RTR right now and it is taking forever! I also have to plan out and file MFW K. And I am waiting on Art curric to come in so I can file that.

How did you do FLL3? I haven't bought it yet. Did you get the pdf and just print out each lesson that way?

I bought my crates at Walmart - one in each of the following colors

Green

Blue

Red

Pink

Gray

The red one is ever so slightly wider - just a bit too wide to actually hang the folder. It hooks on one side and just misses hooking on the other side. I was using hanging file folders from Staples. Those same folders fit in all the other crates.

I have no idea if it was just my red crate or if it affects them all. Just a word of warning before you buy a red crate from Walmart ;)

How did you do FLL3? I haven't bought it yet. Did you get the pdf and just print out each lesson that way?

I did FLL3 last year. I purchased the print version, then had the teacher pages spiral bound, and 3-hole punched the student pages. Then I decided what order I wanted to do the lessons in, and how many I needed to do a week. Then I filed them away. I used sticky notes when I needed to find a lesson page in our completed grammar notebook, mainly for the additional lessons. When I just needed the back side of the last page we completed the week before, I knew where to look.

I tried to read the whole thread, but ran out of steam half way through, so I apologize if my question has already been answered. I am curious what people do once they have their weekly files done. Do you schedule each day using a time schedule? Do you let the kids work through the whole week's file in whatever order they want to? I know a lot use workboxes, but I am not sure it will work for us.

Here are my issues:

1) My son is very smart and can do a lot of his work independently, once I give him direction. He has a hard time staying on task though, unless I keep him on task. I noticed this last year, if I only gave him 30 minutes to finish his Math, for example, he would finish in the time period without a problem. If I just let him work on his Math without a time limit, he would take FOREVER. SO, I worry if I just tell him "here's your weekly file and you need to finish it by the end of the week", he will have too much work left at the end.

2) I have a 4th grader, 1st/2nd grader, very busy and interactive 3 yr old and my 1 yr old tornado. I realized quickly last year (first time teaching more than one at a time), that I had to schedule some time when I would work with each child on what they needed help with....

*I* use the weekly folders as a tool for *me*. Although my dd can do work independently, she does benefit from 1:1 work as well. I find I have more time to do that 1:1 work when I have much already broken down for me. Also, for me, if my dc is working pretty independently in a subject, then I would want them to be part of the planning of that subject, but YMMV.

I can't remember if this has been addressed or not (as I have read this whole thread in shifts), but what about books for supplement? Do you grab it and put it in the appropriate folder, or are you just noting it on the folder? I'm tempted to just put it in there, but then I might have to break down and buy more crates! :confused:

Here's what I tried to post on diyplanner:

3X5 homeschool lesson card.pdf

3x5 homeschool lesson card 4up.pdf

These are awesome. I would like to try your template out. I was planning on using index cards and some library envelopes I found at the dollar store. How would I print these? On regular paper and cut out, or on individual index cards. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Thank you for sharing your hard work.

I just put REAL Sci. Ody. (RSO) Chem 1 in my files for my 4th grader. They have each week mapped out perfect for filing...week 1, week 2, etc... made it a breeze. Now I just have to attach note cards for supplies for each week.

Great to know, bc I'm thinking of using Earth and Space. ;) I'm still pretty sure the only subject I won't be able to file will be math. I'm thinking of switching to MM, but now bc we will have to do some 2B to start the year since I'm ditching RS C after getting to lesson 100 last year...I can't really judge how far we'll get and when. Which stinks bc I think having things defined by pages in a folder to complete would be really helpful for keeping me on track. Unless I can convince DS to do the work this summer....but that's doubtful LOL!

This has been such an inspiring thread to read through! I've been "Summer Schooling" my DD for the past few weeks in the "seat of my pants" style, and I knew I needed something more organized but could never find a system that really spoke to me.

I think THIS is going to be it! I'm so excited!

So, as I've been reading about all of these organization methods, I had an idea for Moms of larger families.

What if, instead of cutting up books, you scanned each page and kept the files on your computer and on a backup CD, to be kept in Mom's personal planning binder. Each time you are planning for younger child to reuse the curriculum for the coming term, you could print off the needed pages and place them in the child's binder/file/crate/workbox. And if it was a curriculum with multiple books (like, say, Singapore Math) you could save future time in pulling from multiple sources by arranging the files on the CD by lesson instead of by the book from which that page was taken. You could save the books in a box somewhere, in case your backup CD was broken the same day your computer crashed, or you could go ahead and sell them or whatever to save storage space.

Is this legal? Can any of you see any problems I might be missing?

These are awesome. I would like to try your template out. I was planning on using index cards and some library envelopes I found at the dollar store. How would I print these? On regular paper and cut out, or on individual index cards. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Thank you for sharing your hard work.

Thanks! I'm excited about using them!

On my printer, I just printed the single version on individual index cards. I did have to create a custom paper size in my printer settings - 3"x5" - and it prints out perfectly. The 4up version should be good if you want to print on regular letter-sized paper or cardstock & then cut into 4.

Is anyone using AAs with the file crate? If so, how are you doing it? This is the one thing that I haven't figured out what to do with yet.

I have everything set up in my file crates and workboxes for the first week. I color coded everybody in their crates for 36 weeks. my working folder is a coordinating locker crate. I hope this will encourage filing at the end of the week.

This system has been like a load off my mind. The work planning is done. I only have to pull the papers out. incredible. thanks to all of you who shared.

WOW. Thank you for this thread!! I've got my files set up - 36 x 3.

One thing that just naturally came about as I've been filing and sorting and planning -- I used an index card tossed in a file with a note on it.

For example, we got our CAT tests back, and I usually forget to plan these in my schedule. So I tossed an index card in weeks 35 and 36 that say "CAT testing."

I want my daughter to sign up for the SAT question of the day, so I tossed a card in Week 1 saying that.

I figure I am doing all the separating of workbooks now, the Sonlight schedules copied and filed and everything else divided up. As the year goes on, and I open up the next few files to refresh my mind on what's coming up, well, I'll see those notes.

I am so stinkin' excited about this file plan. After 16 years of homeschooling, I cannot BELIEVE I never thought of it!! :tongue_smilie:

I can't remember if this has been addressed or not (as I have read this whole thread in shifts), but what about books for supplement? Do you grab it and put it in the appropriate folder, or are you just noting it on the folder? I'm tempted to just put it in there, but then I might have to break down and buy more crates! :confused:

I used a filing cabinet for the files and crates for all the "extras"....one for me and one per kid.

When I was going to put my files in a crate I had 2 ideas.One-I was just going to put supplements on a shelf. I have a 5 shelf book case and I was going to label one shelf with each kids name and "this weeks books" the next shelf was going to have each kids name and "future books" the next was art boxes/supplies.

My other idea was to get a 3 drawer cart with their names on a drawer and I was going to keep their books in there so they know right where they are at and can get to them themselves. cant quite remember what others were doing.

I have not read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. :)

I am interested in doing this because my baby is due Sept 12. It would be nice to get everything organized before then.

My question: If I go ahead and tear all the worksheets out of the books (like MUS) and file them, then when the child completes them during the school year, what do I do with them?? Do I keep them all, separate them into subjects, or just put them back into the folders?

Thanks for any input!!

Blessings,

Jacquelyn

I have a binder for Math and file the sheets in there after they've been completed. I use binder tabs and divide them up by lessons, tests and extras. Hth.

QUOTE=babybryte;1887294]I have not read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. :)

I am interested in doing this because my baby is due Sept 12. It would be nice to get everything organized before then.

My question: If I go ahead and tear all the worksheets out of the books (like MUS) and file them, then when the child completes them during the school year, what do I do with them?? Do I keep them all, separate them into subjects, or just put them back into the folders?

Thanks for any input!!

Blessings,

Jacquelyn

I think I would stick them in a binder or file for the year so I have the records.

I'm working on my stuff finally, and my plans are a little off. There is no way this will all fit in one file drawer LOL!! I'm definitely going to need a crate or two for the closet for the stuff we are not working on yet. The 4 file folders per file alone are huge!!! (I'm doing one for each child, and one for me for the things we do together)

Okay, so I am planning on starting school this afternoon (we usually school in the afternoon). I have six weeks filed so far and plan to finish filing the rest of the weeks during my spare time. The baby is scheduled to be delivered in four weeks, so from today until the baby is due, the plan is to have school then break for four to six weeks to enjoy the baby and recover from childbirth. I expect that during that time I'll be able to finish filing the year out. Hopefully it will be completed before then.

Please tell me if I'm forgetting something, or if something I'm doing can be simplified. Here's the plan:

Files for weeks 1-6 (one crate per child which also houses individual books and supplies needed for the week

Binder for each child to contain a week's worth of work divided by subject

A clipboard for me with each child's lesson plans, scratch paper, supplies list, read aloud book list, meal plan, chores, etc.

A binder for each subject to house completed work at the end of the week

Ugh, I just remembered that I haven't decided on how I'm going to incorporate memory work. I have an index card file box which houses most of our memory work. I need to work it in somehow, either at the beginning of each day or at the beginning of each subject. Memory work was done sporadically last year. This was one of the things I was hoping to get to more often with this filing system. Any ideas?

I have not read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. :)

Thanks for any input!!

Blessings,

Jacquelyn

I made binders for each subject to house completed work in case we need to look back at something we already completed. At the end of the year, my plan is to bind these loose papers for future reference. I may sort through them and select what I think is necessary to keep, or I may just take the whole binder to Office to bind. HTH

Re: finished work - Last year I did binders for 6 weeks or so of work. As we finished, I tossed almost everything except Latin and writing. I keep Latin in a separate binder for reference. I keep writing samples. I can't see any reason to keep anything else. I do keep the completed weekly lesson plans for a month or so. I do monthly reports to our school district, and the lesson plans make that much easier. I can quickly see exactly what we did each month. After that, I toss those too. I'm thinking I will put what I am saving back in the folders.

My crate is now over stuffed. I'm going to have to buy another one. I don't think I can fit more than 18 weeks in a crate. I will just spit the year in two and store the other crate in the garage until we're ready for it.

So I went back and forth several times before somewhat committing to the file system idea. I do want everything as organized as possible before we begin our first official school year, but it has seemed so overwhelming.

Now I am maybe halfway through and I don't know if I've helped myself or not :confused:. We are doing Saxon 1 and it seems like everyday I need about 50 manipulatives (coins in cups, note cards, baggies, linking cubes, food items, etc...). What should I do about these things? Should I get whatever can be done ahead of time ready and keep them someplace in a box to use as needed? Should I just gather them once a week?

I'm also trying to decide whether to do any filing for my preschool guy. All we will be doing is ETC and OPGTR with hopefully some fun craft type things for he and my 2 yr old to do. Of course then I would have to actually plan what these fun type things will be and again I'm overwhelmed:001_unsure:.

Any advice??

So I went back and forth several times before somewhat committing to the file system idea. I do want everything as organized as possible before we begin our first official school year, but it has seemed so overwhelming.

Now I am maybe halfway through and I don't know if I've helped myself or not :confused:. We are doing Saxon 1 and it seems like everyday I need about 50 manipulatives (coins in cups, note cards, baggies, linking cubes, food items, etc...). What should I do about these things? Should I get whatever can be done ahead of time ready and keep them someplace in a box to use as needed? Should I just gather them once a week?

I'm also trying to decide whether to do any filing for my preschool guy. All we will be doing is ETC and OPGTR with hopefully some fun craft type things for he and my 2 yr old to do. Of course then I would have to actually plan what these fun type things will be and again I'm overwhelmed:001_unsure:.

Any advice??

I'm planning on finishing up the very end of Saxon 1 and switching to Math Mammoth (though I'm still debating this). My plan is to make sure that I have all the materials needed on Sunday night and gather them if possible. Then each day, I'll pull what I need out of the box of materials, since I know I won't have to hunt anything down.

Okay, so I am planning on starting school this afternoon (we usually school in the afternoon). I have six weeks filed so far and plan to finish filing the rest of the weeks during my spare time. The baby is scheduled to be delivered in four weeks, so from today until the baby is due, the plan is to have school then break for four to six weeks to enjoy the baby and recover from childbirth. I expect that during that time I'll be able to finish filing the year out. Hopefully it will be completed before then.

Please tell me if I'm forgetting something, or if something I'm doing can be simplified. Here's the plan:

Files for weeks 1-6 (one crate per child which also houses individual books and supplies needed for the week

Binder for each child to contain a week's worth of work divided by subject

A clipboard for me with each child's lesson plans, scratch paper, supplies list, read aloud book list, meal plan, chores, etc.

A binder for each subject to house completed work at the end of the week

Ugh, I just remembered that I haven't decided on how I'm going to incorporate memory work. I have an index card file box which houses most of our memory work. I need to work it in somehow, either at the beginning of each day or at the beginning of each subject. Memory work was done sporadically last year. This was one of the things I was hoping to get to more often with this filing system. Any ideas?

Hmmm....looks complete to me, but in this case it's like that bumper sticker that says "don't follow me. I'm lost too.":tongue_smilie: As for memory work, why not just put the card in the folder and start the day with it?

I just put REAL Sci. Ody. (RSO) Chem 1 in my files for my 4th grader. They have each week mapped out perfect for filing...week 1, week 2, etc... made it a breeze. Now I just have to attach note cards for supplies for each week.

That is good to know. I've been debating between RSO and Elementary Science. I'm wondering if Elementary Science is easy to file too. Anyone using this have an answer? It may help me decide between these two programs.:) I'm not sure if that's good; filing influencing curriculum choices.:001_huh:

I might put very thin books in the folder just on a weekly basis, but mostly I plan to have a basket or dish tub with the books for a month or so.

I'm planning on finishing up the very end of Saxon 1 and switching to Math Mammoth (though I'm still debating this). My plan is to make sure that I have all the materials needed on Sunday night and gather them if possible. Then each day, I'll pull what I need out of the box of materials, since I know I won't have to hunt anything down.

Thank you Cindy. I think that's what I'll end up doing too. In that case, I guess this means I'm more than half done with this filing bonanza :D!

I ran in to the same dilemma. What I have decided to do is just file paper work and being that I will be saving time with not having to run around and get paper work I will just quickly look over the (already made) file on the weekend and get the manipulatives or supplies at that time. I wanted to have every single thing organized with my files, but I felt I was going to burn myself out. I'm ok with this an not beating myself up over it. The fact that I am almost done filing 32 weeks for 4 kids is enough to make me feel good. Hang in there!

Michelle

That is good to know. I've been debating between RSO and Elementary Science. I'm wondering if Elementary Science is easy to file too. Anyone using this have an answer? It may help me decide between these two programs.:) I'm not sure if that's good; filing influencing curriculum choices.:001_huh:

I am actually doing Elemental Sci with my Kinder girl. I just wanted a general intro to science for her. One thing I can say that makes RSO easier is that it is all there, no books to round up. I also really like their supply list and lesson plan guide. With Elemental, I will have to pull some books each week. It's mainly just More Mudpies to Magnets though. Filing Elemental was just as easy. I just know I will have to implement a little more. HTH

Is anyone using AAs with the file crate? If so, how are you doing it?

I didn't take our AAS books apart. It was too difficult to determine how we would break the lessons up. Besides, my kids are still young enough that I need to present the lesson, so including it in their files was really unnecessary. Catholicmommy gave me the idea of putting the progress chart in week one and just moving it along as we go. It's basically just a visual, but my kids can still put stickers on it as they complete the steps. I will also probably include some lined paper for writing, since we don't always use the manipulatives.

-I have some weird short weeks on my calendar. And I'm at about 182 days to meet our state requirements. (State of MO requires tracking by hours, not days.) So I don't have a pretty 36 week. And I'm not sure how to handle those half-weeks that we have. I'm not sure if I'm making sense here. We all have them, like Thanksgiving for example. We can't take the whole week off and finish when I want to finish. So I guess I call that a "week" and just file the assignments for 2 days?

I would just make a folder for the short week. You might even put in a holiday crossword or coloring sheet to give yourself permission to enjoy the holiday as a planned event rather than a speed bump.

I'll try to be brief & to the point (because I tend to be longwinded usually :D).

1. On your blog (your blog is the Springs of Joy one, right?) about this filing stuff, I'm stuck on step 3. What exactly do you write on these http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/term.htm Quarter Planners (copied that link from your blog where it says "free forms")? Do you go through every day of every subject and write something about it on there? Or is it just to let you know when exactly you're doing that subject & when you're not, for ones that aren't daily? I feel like transcribing from the TMs would be redundant, so surely that's not what these are for. Help!

2. What do you use for a checklist for the kids? Do you put one in their weekly folders or do you keep it for yourself? I made up some tables in a Word doc to show how often we need to do ea. subject - a complicated one showing when to start, when we'll be finished, when to start the next level... and another simple one that was supposed to be a checklist for the kids. It got too complicated and I can't figure out how to show them all on 1 page what they need to do for the week (broken down daily, too) without confusing them. Should I just put daily checklists (instead of 1 weekly one) in their folders? If you don't give them one at all how do they know to do subjects that are unfilable that are done with you (not on paper - like OPG for example)?

Oh geez, look at this, it's already gotten long. Thanks for your help. You can probably tell by my questions organization doesn't come naturally to me.

Edited by Annabel Lee
I tried to summarize; I really did.

I ran in to the same dilemma. What I have decided to do is just file paper work and being that I will be saving time with not having to run around and get paper work I will just quickly look over the (already made) file on the weekend and get the manipulatives or supplies at that time. I wanted to have every single thing organized with my files, but I felt I was going to burn myself out. I'm ok with this an not beating myself up over it. The fact that I am almost done filing 32 weeks for 4 kids is enough to make me feel good. Hang in there!

Michelle

Thanks Michelle. That makes sense and makes me feel better :)! Great job on organizing for all 4 kids!!

I'll try to be brief & to the point (because I tend to be longwinded usually :D).

1. On your blog (your blog is the Springs of Joy one, right?) about this filing stuff, I'm stuck on step 3. What exactly do you write on these http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/term.htm Quarter Planners (copied that link from your blog where it says "free forms")? Do you go through every day of every subject and write something about it on there? Or is it just to let you know when exactly you're doing that subject & when you're not, for ones that aren't daily? I feel like transcribing from the TMs would be redundant, so surely that's not what these are for. Help!

2. What do you use for a checklist for the kids? Do you put one in their weekly folders or do you keep it for yourself? I made up some tables in a Word doc to show how often we need to do ea. subject - a complicated one showing when to start, when we'll be finished, when to start the next level... and another simple one that was supposed to be a checklist for the kids. It got too complicated and I can't figure out how to show them all on 1 page what they need to do for the week (broken down daily, too) without confusing them. Should I just put daily checklists (instead of 1 weekly one) in their folders? If you don't give them one at all how do they know to do subjects that are unfilable that are done with you (not on paper - like OPG for example)?

Oh geez, look at this, it's already gotten long. Thanks for your help. You can probably tell by my questions organization doesn't come naturally to me.

It's vbs week here and i'm e registration lady, so i will answer you in lots of detail when i get home this afternoon :)

Any advice??

For the Saxon 1 - when we did it, I had a shoebox filled with the items you use just about everyday, like a baggie full of money, flashcards, a small clock, & wipe off markers. As we added other items, they simply got placed in the shoebox. For items that are not used often or are perishable (like the bread or apples you use to show fractions), you can have a list in your "parent" folder that shows what materials you need each week. I believe there is a materials list in the teacher's manual either in the beginning or ending pages that you could copy and put in your folder.

For your toddler - last year my dd did a version of LOTW. Before the school year started I printed out every page we would need for the 26 weeks and had a project planned to do to correlate with each letter. Each week her folder would have: 1. a large full page printout of the capital & lower case letter we were covering (we used this to glue or paint something that began with the letter - for A we sliced an apple in half and used paint to stamp on our letters, for B she glued dried beans on them); 2. a page with a picture to color that began with the letter we were covering; 3. a page of letters to trace; 4. a blank paper to practice writing her letters; 5. a paper craft to do that matched the letter (for A we made a paper alligator, B a paper plate bumblebee). Since I could just grab her folder and take out a page, it was really easy to keep her busy long enough to get through lessons with my ds.

In addition to her LOTW items, she had:

• a few file folder games that were alphabet related
  • a box of math manipulatives for her to play with
  • a large box full of craft related items that she could do whatever she wanted to - it had scissors, glue, glue sticks, paper, fun foam, felt, wiggle eyes, feathers, pipecleaners, yarn, paper bags, paper plates, & stickers.
  • a box of miscellaneous items to sort - sea shells, buttons, fake flowers, etc... (Anything interesting from the dollar store)
  • a box that was either filled with rice or beans & a couple cups - she did all sorts of things with this, her favorite being playing with her Polly Pocket dolls in it

All these items were kept on a shelf that was just for her stuff and she knew that she could play with whatever she wanted to while mom and brother were doing their school work. Then once she was done and it was all picked up, we would take a half hour and do our school time, which was the LOTW items and the Before the Code books.

Edited by BramFam

I have a binder for Math and file the sheets in there after they've been completed. I use binder tabs and divide them up by lessons, tests and extras. Hth.

QUOTE=babybryte;1887294]I have not read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. :)

Thanks for any input!!

Blessings,

Jacquelyn

This sounds awful, but i keep a few here and there (esprcially the tests) in a little binder and recycle the rest.:D

My husband says I have the same problem :)

Step three is for people who need to figure out what they are doing in what week. For something that is already laid out in a TM or IG then I might not even bother. Or, more likely, just write something like 'week 1: lesson 1'.

It's just a nice visual to help you when it comes time to filing. FOr example, if you want to add in a library book for a certain lesson, or watch a movie or something like that, write it on the appropriate square and you will know to file that information in that certain week. Does that make sense?

The Simply Charlotte MAson planning ebook that I linked to in my blog is so helpful in planing out your year into 36 weeks. (or however many weeks you want to do).

Remember, the system you choose is there to HELP you, not to make your life more difficult. If you don't want to do part of what I did, then don't!! It's up to you to decide what will make your life easier. It doesn't have to be complicated at all. The planning sheets are just to help you get a global overview of what you need to accomplish for the entire year and allow you to break it up into weekly chunks. Many curricula have already done that step for you.

I didn't have a folder for myself last year. That was someone's wonderful suggestion from near the beginning of this thread. I love the idea though and plan on using it this year.

For the first part of the year, I printed off a checklist for the kids from HST+. It was a simple table that had the days of the week across the top, and the subjects along the lefthand side. When they finished a subject, they simply crossed it off. That worked great until I got lazy and stopped doing it. :001_huh:

I liked the whole week on one table, because it allowed my older kids to work ahead if they wanted to, while still keeping everything divided up into daily chunks if they needed the help with that. You don't have to put copious amounts of detail in a checklist because they can find the info they need from their books. It's simply meant to be a visual to remind them to do that subject and it should fiit on one or two pages. I always kept it in the front of their weekly pocket folder thingy. (how's that for great descriptive language?)

:lol: don't appologize for being long :) This thread is so long now that it just doesn't matter anymore! Organization comes very naturally to me... it's the actual using of my systems that causes me problems :lol: I'd rather stay in bed all morning playing on these message boards.

Thanks for explaining those things, Melanie. I've already taken each subject and divided it down to how many lessons per week in order to be done by The End. I made up a table for me showing all of that - that was the complicated one. What I mean by complicated is that it's too detailed (I suppose I chose the wrong word) for the kids to see. I just figured out my other question: You have the checkbox thingy (I have great descriptive powers, too :) ) for FLL & other unfilable or "do with mom" subjects so that there's something there in the kid's weekly file so they don't get all confused - "it's on my list but there's nothing in my file...". Not only am I descriptive, I can make one sentence run on and on!

I think since I've already done that, I don't need to do it all over again on a quarterly planner. I know I do want to use this system to schedule putting library books & movies on hold or requesting them from ILL, since those need to be done ahead of time. I may use those forms for that, like you described, instead of reinventing the wheel. In fact, that sounds easier than typing it all out to put in ea. week like I was thinking.

Thanks again!

Hey you! Good to see you here :). I haven't checked out your filing system on you blog before. Thank you for posting the direct link.

I'm just reading through this thread (wow - it's ha.uge!! lots of good ideas to think on too:tongue_smilie:... I think when the new year hits, 2011, I'll have revamped our filing system to include some of this)....

And, while reading flipping through the post saw your comment - good to 'see' you too!!! I popped over to you blog - oh my your boys are *grown* :)

I know this was addressed to another person, but I thought I would share what I have done in the past and trying this year. Last year I designed a spreadsheet that was tweaking one I found on this thread.

This year I'm trying a bought student planner from Good News Planners. I really like the 2 page spread design, that it's all in one book, and there are good supplementary pages. There are 3 little boxes at the upper right corner of each day's subject. I'm going to use those for checking off it's done and recording grades.

I am working on my filing system now. I will be pulling out each week, from a bigger crate, and putting it into a small crate. The kids can keep their planners in the small crate all the time.

This is definitely OT, but I saw on your blog your picture study and I was wondering where that came from? It looks nice. I need something easy in that department.

Are you talking about the print that was included in the mock file I showed on my blog?

I actually just looked over at ambleside online and chose one of their picture study years, printed off the prints online where I could find them and stuck them in the appropriate folders. We don't do anything special with them... we just pull them out, enjoy looking at it, perhaps go online and see a better quality one and talk about details, color etc...

Sometimes, we just look at it for 30 seconds and call it good LOL. It's better than nothing, which is what I used to do :D

Now that I'm looking over on their site again, I see that it might be fun to file some Shakespeare into the mix too, seeing as how they have it all laid out for you over there.

Edited by catholicmommy
adding some more info

You have the checkbox thingy (I have great descriptive powers, too :) ) for FLL & other unfilable or "do with mom" subjects so that there's something there in the kid's weekly file so they don't get all confused - "it's on my list but there's nothing in my file...". Not only am I descriptive, I can make one sentence run on and on!

Yes, I did find last year that if I didn't have something CONCRETE that they could actually touch in their folder, those subjects tended to be forgotten about. It's easier to ignore things that mean you have to do an extra step to go find it, etc...

I think since I've already done that, I don't need to do it all over again on a quarterly planner. I know I do want to use this system to schedule putting library books & movies on hold or requesting them from ILL, since those need to be done ahead of time. I may use those forms for that, like you described, instead of reinventing the wheel. In fact, that sounds easier than typing it all out to put in ea. week like I was thinking

Exactly. The 'system' doesn't have to be done in any particular way. Some people really need help figuring out how to break down their subjects into weekly chunks. Quarter planners are ONE way to do that. You sound like you already know what you are doing. Don't make more work for yourself :001_smile:

Are you talking about the print that was included in the mock file I showed on my blog?

I actually just looked over at ambleside online and chose one of their picture study years, printed off the prints online where I could find them and stuck them in the appropriate folders. We don't do anything special with them... we just pull them out, enjoy looking at it, perhaps go online and see a better quality one and talk about details, color etc...

Sometimes, we just look at it for 30 seconds and call it good LOL. It's better than nothing, which is what I used to do :D

Now that I'm looking over on their site again, I see that it might be fun to file some Shakespeare into the mix too, seeing as how they have it all laid out for you over there.

Well, you see, that is why I need to hang out with you more (even if it's not IRL). I was making it way more complicated than that. And what's funny is if you look at my sig. you see I'm using AO. I had been given the advice to have it printed at Staples or some such place and that was holding me up. One more step and complication. Of course I can just print it myself from the AO suggestions or others. Got it. One more thing to print and get filed easily. Thanks.:)

Melanie--I was just looking at your blog and my issue with the picture study was definitely a perfectionist one. The more I think about it, that is what holds me up a lot. I get an idea of how it "should" be and if I can't do that, then I don't want to do it all. Oooooh, that's not good for homeschooling.

Also--LOVE the dragon cake. Having missed St. George maybe I'll make one next week just 'cause. That way we don't have to wait till next year. Otoh, mine probably won't look as good as yours, so maybe I just shouldn't try at all.....:lol:

:w00t:

Just finished reading this entire thread!!(need a spinning head smiley here)

What a wealth of information! I think I definitely want to implement a filing system here, I'm just going to have to figure out exactly what I'm going to do.

Right now, I know for sure I want to include our 'extras', for example the CTC Mind Benders and Dr. Dooriddles, etc.. copywork, memory work, and picture study would also be great to file. These are all the things I really need reminders to do sometimes.

I'm not sure how to include math. DS1 often needs 'simmering' time with that subject. We use Dancing Bears and I'm not sure how I would file those lessons either. If ds1 doesn't get all the check marks on a page we keep with that page until he does before moving on to the next page.

Melanie--I was just looking at your blog and my issue with the picture study was definitely a perfectionist one. The more I think about it, that is what holds me up a lot. I get an idea of how it "should" be and if I can't do that, then I don't want to do it all. Oooooh, that's not good for homeschooling.

Also--LOVE the dragon cake. Having missed St. George maybe I'll make one next week just 'cause. That way we don't have to wait till next year. Otoh, mine probably won't look as good as yours, so maybe I just shouldn't try at all.....:lol:

:grouphug: Oh, i think there are many many homeschoolers out there like us.

I started to see the light when my twins were born, and my eldest was just starting first grade. All of those ideas of this perfect homeschooling day were crushed and replaced with two preemies, a crabby toddler and chaos all the time. I learned to change my expectations of myself, our homeschool, the house... I had to give up on the dream that I could control everything and make it all perfect.

I was proud of myself this week: i really wanted to start filing for this year, but i didn't have all the empty files in order, and some had been lost or wrecked from last year. Well instead of waiting until i had the time or money to go out and get all brand new pretty matching folders, i used what i had, added some different colored ones for the missing weeks and started filing. It's not tpretty, but at least it's getting done!!!