Menu

I know when we lived in MO one thing that I kept in mind was that if I did history for a day and it only took us 30 minutes I still counted that as "an hour" for records.

If you divide your material into 36 weeks and complete those 36 weeks then you should have plenty of "hours" for your record. Does that make sense? When I started hs in MO that was how one of my hs friends explained it to me. It isn't like if they do history in school for the day they are spending an hour on the material either.

I am doing that. I blocked off an hour and I count it as an hour. Sometimes the work will take 60 minutes for my kids because they dawdle. :( Other days they zoom right through.

I hate tracking hours. I would prefer days because it's less to track. But it's required should someone come check on us. We are often doing things that could count as school. For example audio books in the car. But do I really want to keep track of that every time we run and errand? (Actually I will for our drive on vacation, that will be hours straight of Audio Tapes and learning about the states we are driving through!!!)

I try not to get too hung about hours and focus on finishing the curriculum. Which is why I'm looking at 180ish days.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I'm really excited to try this. I always thought the planners were crazy, but this will be our 4th (*gasp* has it been that long???) year homeschooling and our first year with 2 officially doing work. I always lose momentum like everyone keeps saying here....I think maybe I DO need to do some planning. We use Winterpromise and it's already 'planned'....but obviously not enough for me lol or we would have finished last year!!!! I really like this idea of breaking it down into weeks and having everything ready already. Getting all together ahead of time is where I'm lacking. We use RS math, so I don't see planning that ahead of time but I'm thinking of throwing in a note that we work on it for 30 min each day (15-20 for DD1). I'm also starting AAS, so for that too I think I will just have to plan a time slot. I'm not going to tear up WWE since I just had it bound lol...or then again, maybe it would be nice. We'll see. I'll definitely tear up FLL3 though.

Where has everyone gotten file folders and such? I was at Walmart last night and got some good deals on general supplies, but the pretty folders were more than I was expecting. Anyone see any specials???????

Guest aquiverfull

Where has everyone gotten file folders and such? I was at Walmart last night and got some good deals on general supplies, but the pretty folders were more than I was expecting. Anyone see any specials???????

A few weeks ago my Walmart had plain Green hanging file folders. They came 25 to a pack in regular and legal size. The regular were $5.88 and the legal size were $10.88. Now I checked 3 different Walmarts this past weekend and they were completely sold out of the regular size. They did have regular plain file folders (non-hanging ones) in a box of 50 for $3 something. I ended up at Office Depot and they have several choices of file folders. Some of the cheapest they had in the hanging file folders, were green ones and it was a 25 pack for $6.49. Then they had a box (Office Depot) brand that were different colored Hanging File folders 30 in the pack for $9.49. Those are the ones that I bought. Hope that helps.

Ok question. We will be doing a couple of lapbooks this year but we will be placing them in a binder as a notebook. So it always goes much better if I precut all the pieces. So how would you store these in each weekly folder? My folder are split up by weeks and then each day of the week is stapled together. each kiddo has their own crate with 36 weekly files. Ok ready for the great suggestions!

Ok question. We will be doing a couple of lapbooks this year but we will be placing them in a binder as a notebook. So it always goes much better if I precut all the pieces. So how would you store these in each weekly folder? My folder are split up by weeks and then each day of the week is stapled together. each kiddo has their own crate with 36 weekly files. Ok ready for the great suggestions!

Decide on which week each lapbook will be for first of all... then I would put the pieces in ziplock baggies and file them their proper folder.

Hi~

I'm not going to do any lapbooks, but for here is what I'm doing for History: I'm planning on studying New Explorers, Colonial Era and Pioneer Era. I will give each "unit" 12 weeks. I printed out all the stuff I need and placed them in a file folder labeled "new explorers", "colonial" and so on. Then I put that folder in the week that I plan on starting the unit. For example the explorer study starts in week 1. Then at beginning of the week I take out a week's worth of history and divide up into 5 days, the rest stays in the folder and moves on to the next weeks folder. Hope I'm making sense.

Guest aquiverfull
Look at these folders I found. I'm trying to figure out how I can duplicate these without having to buy them LOL. http://www.viking.com/Top-Tab-File-Folders/Esselte-Ltd-Doodle-and-Erase-File-Folder-55730.asp

If you could laminate them, you could use a dry erase marker and then wipe off. The laminator I have won't laminate bigger than 8 1/2 x 11. You could either use contact paper (but I'm not sure if dry erase would work or not) or if you have a teacher supply store near by, they usually have a large laminator and will laminate for a small fee.

Look at these folders I found. I'm trying to figure out how I can duplicate these without having to buy them LOL. http://www.viking.com/Top-Tab-File-Folders/Esselte-Ltd-Doodle-and-Erase-File-Folder-55730.asp

You can buy laminate contact paper at Walmart and Target here. You could use regular file folders with a sheet of white paper on the front and covered with laminate paper.

High gloss page protectors are excellent dry erase material - just slip a piece of white paper in there, and you've got a dry erase surface. Then you'd have to double back tape them to the files.

Just thought I'd post to say that I've broken down and started my own crates. It is a doozy of a project but I'm looking forward to it. My kids are color-coded so I have 5 crates with the proper color coded hanging files folders & folders

Tyler - All Blue

Hayden - All Red

Greyson - All Green

Arwyn - Pink Crate, Purple Folders, Purple Hanging Folders

Isaac - Grey Crate (didn't have yellow), Yellow Folders, Yellow Hanging Folders

Wish me luck in getting 5 of these done before the beginning of school in September :lol:

Sure does look purty *snort*

I'm keeping the three of my kids in one crate, but they each have their own color of folders. I'm excited to get started!
Are you finding that to be enough room for all of their stuff? This is what I'm planning to do but I'm still waiting for my RR box.

We use RS math, so I don't see planning that ahead of time but I'm thinking of throwing in a note that we work on it for 30 min each day (15-20 for DD1).

I'm planning RS this year. I find, especially in Level A, that I struggle if I don't have all the materials ready. So this year I made a table with two columns - one for the lesson number and the other for the materials required. Then I made all the copies I would need and cut out anything that needed it. I also gathered any one-off materials (like 10 plastic baggies, construction paper, or 10 dimes). I put all the additional materials into envelopes, one for each lesson. Now I know what to gather before the week starts and I can grab an envelope with my pre-prepared materials.

I'm planning RS this year. I find, especially in Level A, that I struggle if I don't have all the materials ready. So this year I made a table with two columns - one for the lesson number and the other for the materials required. Then I made all the copies I would need and cut out anything that needed it. I also gathered any one-off materials (like 10 plastic baggies, construction paper, or 10 dimes). I put all the additional materials into envelopes, one for each lesson. Now I know what to gather before the week starts and I can grab an envelope with my pre-prepared materials.

Good points. :) I forgot about that kind of stuff, and will be doing B again this year. Guess I ought to look through it at some point! Actually, I was thinking of maybe just ordering the kit they have with all the appendices already printed up, so all I would have to do is cut them up. Lazy I know!!

Over 20,000 views on this thread!

I'm curious to know how much your file crates weigh. I'm going to weigh mine. It's got to be over 20lbs!

Mine was HEAVY last year... i had to drag it around the house. That's one of the reasons I'm switching to two crates.

I'm going to have the first semester in one crate and the second semester in a second.

I decided on this instead of separate crates for everyone because then I only ever have one active box to work from... cuts down on clutter and chaos and keeps me more in control of the files. I don't really want the kids going through their files and messing it all up :)

I'm curious to know how much your file crates weigh. I'm going to weigh mine. It's got to be over 20lbs!

That is why I am planning to use a master crate and a working crate. The working crate will only have the trimester in it (3 months worth or maybe even less??) and will be portable with a little handle.:)

Are you finding that to be enough room for all of their stuff? This is what I'm planning to do but I'm still waiting for my RR box.

I only have a month's worth filed but I don't think one crate is going to be big enough. I think I am going to have to have two crates and split the year's worth of files in half.

I don't know yet, I haven't made all my copies! It took me about an hour to make all my history copies, so I might have to go to semester or trimester crates. Also, my youngest is 2.5, so his sheets will just be filed with sister's sheets. So really I have two and a little bit students. ;)

I do have a filing cabinet, I might just file the later months in there and then switch them out when the next semester/trimester comes.

I like the master crate/working crate idea. I may have to try that. I had a rolling hanging file folder thing that I gave to my mom. Wish I had that now. I still have to find a home for this crate in the house. We have a split level house and move school around depending on the season.

I will have a working crate. I did a modified workbox in hanging folders last year. I wrote about it on my blog here. Near the end of the year, my kids didn't really care for the velcro tags anymore, but I'm still going to use the small crates for their current week's work.

There is no way that I could want the big crate with everything in it to be out all the time. We work at our kitchen table and would not have room for it. If you scroll down on the blog page listed above, there are pictures of our school area next to the table. You can see where I will keep the working crates. These are pictures from the beginning of last year, but the arrangement will be pretty much the same I think.

I am using a filing cabinet AND crates :lol: My top filing drawer was so heavy when i openend it all the way it about tipped over. I gotta find some heavy stuff to put on top. And thats one for 2 kids! I really dont know why its so heavy, I only ave 18 weeks in the top anot not many pages ine ach folder :confused:

Anyways, i had to restrain myself from buying the pretty colored crates at walmart and stick with my boring white because I have spent way too much money already. I have a crate for DD with her books in it, and a crate with DS stuff (OPTGR, HOP, leap frog letters etc)

I can't believe I read the entire thread! :svengo:Now where's my t-shirt?

I Read

the Entire Thread

WTM forums

Summer 2010

I love the T-Shirt idea! Do you know how you will implement the system yet? I noticed you are using Core 100 this fall. My 8th dd will be using it, too. I haven't done folders for her yet, just my youngest. I'm not sure I want to follow the reading schedule exactly. She does not like to read a few chapters a day when it is a book she enjoys. What do you think of revamping the schedule to a novel a week instead of reading in more than one book at a time?

First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to post. I have gleaned some really good ideas. It was well worth the read. I do still want a t-shirt though.;)

Secondly, for those who think their crates are too large/heavy, Walmart has locker crates for $3 right now. They are about half the size of the regular file crates, and would be good for holding 6-9 weeks of work. They do have the lip for hanging file folders, and they are very sturdy.

Thirdly, for the pp who asked, I am just going to use a file crate system for my younger son's science and history. Those are the subjects where I really need some help, and I choose not to rip apart his math and language arts workbooks. For my older son, I let him tweak the Sonlight schedule however he chooses, as long as he keeps close to the pace outlined in the instructor's guide. Sometimes he reads the novels one at a time, and sometimes he bounces back and forth between two or three books. He prefers to read them in larger chunks and will tend to do two or three Sonlight assigments in one sitting. He checks the assignments off in the IG as he completes them, so I can keep track of his progress. Does this make sense?

Can you post a link for the "locker crates" please? Or tell me the exact name. I searched on the Walmart website and ended up finding a lot of lockers, cubbies, etc. Thanks.:)

You know, I just looked on the Wal-Mart website and didn't find them. They are Sterilite Locker Crates. I found mine in the seasonal school supplies area.

So just wondering if this thread has broken a record. Anyone know what the longest thread has been. I can't believe this thing is still going although I must admit I am glad. I have gotten some really great ideas from here!

If you sort the threads by number of replies (just click on the word 'replies' on the thread-list page), out of 2,567 pages of threads it is the biggest :tongue_smilie: Followed closely by:

-The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease (WWE) -- All separate threads merged here

-The breadth vs. depth question

-Books about Christian mythology for non-Christians? and

-Tell me more about Phonics Road?

It's sort of fun to look through the list of threads that way.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread!

I am officially ALL SET UP!!!!!

This year I have a first grader, a preschoolers and a two year old. I split the 36 weeks into 2 crates. I used pocket folders instead of file folders (Walmart - $0.15 each). I got my first grader's stuff all divided up. Then I put cheapy workbook pages, blank paper, stickers and some other fun stuff in my younger's folders. I'm so excited to have stuff handy ready to give them when they come over asking to do school, too. I chose the pocket folders because we do school in various places and I thought it would be easier to have the pockets. Then, I got the locker crates from Walmart. Everyone has their own color that coordinates with their folder color. The littles' locker crates will have games, puzzles, etc. My oldest's locker crate will be our working crate. It is the perfect size to hold our current week's hanging folder, my teacher's guides, his reader for the week, as well as any other books we need. I can't believe how organized I feel! Last year, we had a working binder with 4 weeks of lesson plans, and I made all my copies on Sunday nights and put them in the pocket in the back of the binder. This is so much better!

This is an amazing thread! Thank you for all your ideas!

Also, I wanted to share a link for those of you adding library pockets to your folders. kalanamak shared this link in an earlier post on planners.

www.diyplanner.com is a site with free downloads for planners of different sizes. Here is the link for the 3"x5" sized planner pages. They can be printed directly to blank 3x5 index cards or printed 4 to a page and cut apart. They also offer an editable version for those comfortable with Photoshop or similar programs. The ability to edit them to better suit my needs is the icing on the cake! There are over 100 different templates and there are several that are going to be VERY useful to me to add into this folder system.

Wow! I played around a bit there and just uploaded my own version of a lesson planning card. http://www.diyplanner.com/node/8873 I'll probably be printing out one color for each subject for the week...not sure yet how many lessons I'll be able to fit on there, but I just have a Kindergartener so far, so I don't need much. :)

Hopefully some of you can get some use out of it, too. It prints fine on my printer, but let me know if there are any glaring problems & I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Shoot, I just tried my link after logging out of the diyplanner site, and it said access was denied. Maybe there's some kind of review process before it's live? Sorry! Is it possible to attach pdfs in this thread? I'll check back later to see.

Edited by harris

It Was the best thing I have done yet to keep myself on the ball.

I was tired of always finishing math in august instead of may, and it dawned on me one day that we always fAll behind because of all of the extra unexpected things in life that take over like sick days, etc...

In the school system, if one person gets sick, the teacher doesn't stop teaching while that child is missing. They keep on going and the child either skips the work, or does only the important parts (even if just orally).

So, I decided to split up all of our work into 36 weeks, and told myself that if the week got away from me, we would just keep on going the next week, by either throwing out the work we missed or doing it quickly out loud. This was crazy, but worked so well for us. You see, it's ok to miss a math sheet here and there throughout the year. There's enough review etc, that it's not a big deal... But it IS a big deal if you miss the last big chunk of your book. This way of doing things helped me to finish the whole year by may with lots of breaks throughout.

Here's is what we did:

I bought one of those plAstic bins that hold files. A plastic crate would work fine too. Then I bought 36 hanging folders, and a set of 36 file folders for each child. You could use different colors if you want, but it was cheaper to get a big box of manilla ones, so i labeled each folder (with a different color marker for each child), with a number (1-36).

Now the fun part: I ripped up all their books -math included, and placed a weeks worth of work in each file folder. I made sure to photocopy any worksheets we would need and add them too, as well as anything that would make that week pick-up-and-go.

For example, my dd (gr 4) had in week 1:

Math lessons 1-5

Geography worksheet lesson 1

Latin worksheets lesson 1

Watercolor paper for our art lesson

Blank notebook page for history narration and stotw AG photocopies

Writing tales2 story and workbook pages for week one.

Blank note booking pages for science week one.

Small bag with bird seed for a pine cone bird feeder activity

copy of vangogh sunflower painting for our weekly art appreciation

Anything consumable was taken apart and filed. Anything non consumable was photocopied if allowed and I felt like it, or put in a basket kept beside my files. Each kid had their own basket of textbooks that couldn't be ripped apart like the tm for aas, wwe, and sotw.

Each week the children knew that they had to complete all the work in their file folders by Friday. This helped them to have more responsibility with their work, as well as giving them the opportunity to work ahead if they wanted to.

I was very happy with this approach. It held me accountable to gettinG enough work done each week, while still being able to be flexible and extend one week over two if I really needed to. Mostly though, if we missed a day or two, we would quickly review what we missed orally and then keep going. Before, if we missed a day, we would wait and start where we left off, but this had led to the school year dragging on and on, and me always feeling guilty about not doing enough. Now I fee, though I am the one managing things, not the curriculum. It is there to serve me, not the other way around.

I was also able to get a lot more of the fun subjects done because it was already photocopied and easy for me to pull out each week, and i was finally able to finish a year of Latin and stay on top of the daily review that is so important on learning a second language.

I am definitely doing it again next year.

I just saw your post on your lesson planning method. I would like to ask what grades you're currently doing. You mention your dd in grade 4, but don't mention if there are other children or their grades. My kids are in 8th & 10th grades. I'm wondering if this is a workable model for the high school level. You seem very organized!

Are you referring to these? I posted a link in a previous post directly from the Sterilite website (we bought ours from Walmart also) but the link was not working last night (their website was down). I bought number 1896 of the nesting showoffs. I love these with the double lock and handle but I don't know if they would work for those looking to use one filing system for several children. I bought two to use for my one son. I will be putting all his workbook pages in them by subject (the ones we are using in the one box and the ones to be used at a later date in the second box) and then I will be adding printouts for our history and other activities etc. also by subject but only 5 weeks at a time.

The website also has these (top ones labeled as file boxes) but they did not have these at our Walmart here.

Nope. The ones I got look just like file crates, but are more narrow. They are called locker crates because they are sized to fit in a school locker. They don't have lids.

Wow! what a wealth of information on this thread. Thank you for sharing all of your great ideas. I always start off the year strong by writing out our daily lesson plans for the week on Sunday night. By the 4th quarter, I run out of steam and end up skipping that step and we kind of wing it. I hate ending the year like that, in disarray. I also tend to skip some of the more fun things (lapbooks) because I just don't have the materials ready and I am too tired (look at my screen name! lol) to get them ready the night before. I can see how this system will help take the weekly stress off. I love the filing ideas listed here and am excited to get started with it.

I tried to read the whole thread, but ran out of steam half way through, so I apologize if my question has already been answered. I am curious what people do once they have their weekly files done. Do you schedule each day using a time schedule? Do you let the kids work through the whole week's file in whatever order they want to? I know a lot use workboxes, but I am not sure it will work for us.

Here are my issues:

1) My son is very smart and can do a lot of his work independently, once I give him direction. He has a hard time staying on task though, unless I keep him on task. I noticed this last year, if I only gave him 30 minutes to finish his Math, for example, he would finish in the time period without a problem. If I just let him work on his Math without a time limit, he would take FOREVER. SO, I worry if I just tell him "here's your weekly file and you need to finish it by the end of the week", he will have too much work left at the end.

2) I have a 4th grader, 1st/2nd grader, very busy and interactive 3 yr old and my 1 yr old tornado. I realized quickly last year (first time teaching more than one at a time), that I had to schedule some time when I would work with each child on what they needed help with. WHen I just let them choose their own order of subjects, they were always interrupting me when I was helping the other. Plus, there are certain things I would like to work on when the littles are napping.

3) This past year I ended up setting a daily time schedule so that I knew when I would have to help each child. Problem with that is how much time to allot...too much time and they are sitting around playing or doing busy work to wait for the next subject. Plus, it feels a little too much like school! Too little time and we have to skip stuff.

4) last year, their subjects were completely different from each other. This year, they are both using POE, so much of the work will be combined (read alouds, discussion, vocab, catechism, etc). I'm guess I don't quite understand how workboxes or methods that allow them to choose the order of their subjects can be adjusted to have common teaching time.

I have been so wowed by the filing ideas, and I just know someone has some outstanding method for daily work that might address some of these issues. I think I need some type of scheduling, but don't want to be a slave to one.

Thanks so much!!!!

Here's what I tried to post on diyplanner:

Based on the Teacher's Lesson Planner template by Alex Prouty. Provides more space to list materials and notes to help in planning your lessons, as well as some color for sorting.

Includes 9 different colors for the topmost header bar so you can organize by subject, child, day of the week, quarter, semester, and so on. Lesson box for the assignment and page numbers. Rounded square box can hold a sticker for completion or further organization, or write the date, week number, child's name, etc. Materials section is helpful for listing math manipulatives, library books, art supplies, science experiment materials, or other things you'll need to gather for your lesson.

You could use these as assignment cards for older children, in workboxes, planning file crate systems, etc.

3X5 homeschool lesson card.pdf

3x5 homeschool lesson card 4up.pdf

post-16731-13535083696408_thumb.jpg

This is the idea I'm playing with now: How to combine this folder file system with workboxes? :001_huh: We do not use the large workboxes recommended by the program's inventor but rather stackable plastic drawers. I'm wondering if I could set up the drawers on a *weekly* basis for my 11yo and 8yo and just keep things as-is (daily) for the 6yo. For the olders I could have each of their drawers designated as a subject or "to be checked, I'm done with this" drawer.

Or I could keep them daily and just load them from my weekly folders.

Gotta chew on this a bit. Anyone else using workboxes?

I haven't finished reading this thread yet. Sorry if this has already been suggested.

What about dividing the work per day into different colored folders and put them in each drawer. Like in the first drawer you could use red folders for Monday, yellow for Tues etc. and keep the theme the same for each drawer. Then the kids would know to take out the same color folder for what ever day it was. Then you could fill the folders all at once and load them once a week.

almost got my crates all stuffed :D We use workboxes here too ( the previously mentioned plastic sterilite drawers) My plan is to just move the daily items into the drawers the night before and then back into the folders when the stuff is completed. That way I will have everything together and read for the portfolio. We are going to go ahead and implement the system this year for pre-k so we can get an idea and do any tweaking needed before we really have to do it next year for K for the "official" portfolio. I also snatched up library car pockets for each folder to keep the weekly schedules in as well as reading lists. The pockets are eligible for the amazon 4 for 3 promotion BTW if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/Library-Card-Pockets-Ideal/dp/1564516458/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b I downloaded the card templates from DIYplanner.com and will get them all printed up and ready. I think I shall make my own 3x5 reading list however since I didn't see one on their site. I have my SL IG separated by the 36 weekly tabs so it all corresponds nicely too :) All that is left to do is some photocopying and a bit more filing and we'll be ready! :D

thanks so much for this thread it has really helped me to get to a really confident and prepared place and it feels good!

Ok I've read most of the thread tonight! Lots of great ideas. :001_smile:

I set up a system similar to this last year. In my file box (milk crate) I have a hanging folder for each month. In side that I have a folder for each week. I label mine Jan Week 1, Jan Week 2 etc.

I also have a folder for each major holiday we celebrate. This way as I see things through out the year that would be fun I print them and stick them in the appropriate holiday folder. I do the same thing with the FIAR books. I keep a folder for the titles I plan to row this year at the back. Then as I find new things through the year I'll stick them in there.

This way as we move through out file system I can easily pull out some extra things from a topic folder to add to the week.

I started to do something similar for workboxes for the kids last year. But our renovations got slowed down and I didn't have room in the kitchen to set them up. This year I will!! LOL

The file system works really well for me, and I think a similar system will work for there daily work as well.

I'm in the midst of planning out 52 weeks, week 1 starting on Monday. With Monday looming, I've decided to drop working on the long-term stuff for now and just get next week prepared. It's planned in my head (we'll be picking up from where we left off last week) but it's physically all over the shelves, all over the dining room, books mixed up on shelves, etc.

I think it's going to take me a while (at least a week or 2 of working in the evenings and/or weekends) to get the whole thing completed. I am trying to put together some of my curricula as I go, though - aligning different booklists and activities for history (and checking to see if my library has them) and for other subjects, too. I just like to find more work for myself. :P Is this taking you all a terribly long time?

You know, I just looked on the Wal-Mart website and didn't find them. They are Sterilite Locker Crates. I found mine in the seasonal school supplies area.

Thank you. Took a trip to Walmart yesterday. They had the big size for $3 and the locker size with two baby size ones for $5. I didn't want the big ones so I got the smaller for more money, lol. It's not really what I wanted but it is cheaper. However, silly me, I've spent the last hour looking all over the internet to see if I could find the ones with the top and the handle for a decent price. All the stores around here either don't have them or they are about $15.

I need to get going on this. I still have things to order. EEek. So, I haven't been able to do some of the filing. I set my start date for Aug. 23. I DO NOT want to be busy planning my hsing year right up until the date I start. I better order what I need soon.

I have following this thread from the beginning and have used qutite a few of the ideas. I have 1 carte with 40 file folders, 1 for each week. I also have 4 other folders for each season then 3 manila folders in each season to put some fun projects in.

I have already put MUS alpha and primer, WWE3, FLL 3, and OPGTR, in folders. I am printing everything for MFW RTR right now and it is taking forever! I also have to plan out and file MFW K. And I am waiting on Art curric to come in so I can file that.

I am very excited about this system and am very hopeful that it will help us stay on track this year:001_smile:

It does seem like it is taking me a long time to get it all together. But I have to take into account that we have had to take 2 trips to John Hopkins and 1 more soon. Oh and one of my 2yos had to have minor surgery. So I guess I should not beat myself up about how long it is

taking:tongue_smilie:

I just saw your post on your lesson planning method. I would like to ask what grades you're currently doing. You mention your dd in grade 4, but don't mention if there are other children or their grades. My kids are in 8th & 10th grades. I'm wondering if this is a workable model for the high school level. You seem very organized!

My kids are ages 8mo, 3, 3, 5, 7, and 9. :). I only look organized because i took the time to set up my files at the beginning of the year. The rest of the year i coasted on all of my work :)

For older kids, i think it would still work, but you might want to get them to either set up their own files or help you do it so they have a sense of ownership about it. It's a nice way of teaching time management and perserverence, becausse they have a concrete folder of work that needs to be completed each week.... They could do it all the first few days, or plan it out in little bits each day.

Hth:001_smile: I'm no expert in teenagers :confused: although when all of mine hit those ages at the same time I guess I will need to be.