Menu

It's not pretty, but at least it's getting done!!!

If we had to color-code and make pretty, then I really messed it up last year when I made my file folders. Sheeeeeesh! I just thought I was organizing, not decorating! :001_huh:

You ladies are all way to hard on yourselves... Now, if I was giving this as a gift to someone, I'd make sure it was all pretty, but who other than one of us would be excited about a crate full of file folders???

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had to color-code and make pretty, then I really messed it up last year when I made my file folders. Sheeeeeesh! I just thought I was organizing, not decorating! :001_huh:

You ladies are all way to hard on yourselves... Now, if I was giving this as a gift to someone, I'd make sure it was all pretty, but who other than one of us would be excited about a crate full of file folders???

Beauty can make all the difference...I know I feel better surrounded by things that are pleasant to the eye. It can make work seem so much more peaceful! It's like a nicely decorated, pleasing room vs a utilitarian cubicle.

Just updating...

I went to Big Lots and found the $3 crates. I waited in line 10 min, when I got up to the teller, she told me this aisle was closed. The only other open line was 6 people long. I walked out. I went to Staples. I saw similar crates for $6. Then I saw crates with hinged lids. Since I was buying to store my 2nd semester, this was perfect - $10 more, but way better. I love this new crate. Now my 2nd semester stuff will stay clean and safe. Big Lots bad customer service turned out to be a good thing.

I'm still not done but not giving up.

We are going to have to keep up with each other to see how this all works out. I hope it meets our expectations.

Oh no!!! I got my FLL3 workbook, and the lessons carry on the backs of many pages, so I don't think it will really work in files. :( What is everyone else doing? I wasn't going to break it up but it's a big thick book and I know DS will dislike writing from it intact.

I've done it quite simply. I just filed it according to the week the first lesson was on. Then I when I'm switching out my binder for the week, I make sure I have the whole lesson. If its not there, I grab it from the previous week.

Oh no!!! I got my FLL3 workbook, and the lessons carry on the backs of many pages, so I don't think it will really work in files. :( What is everyone else doing? I wasn't going to break it up but it's a big thick book and I know DS will dislike writing from it intact.

I've done it quite simply. I just filed it according to the week the first lesson was on. Then I when I'm switching out my binder for the week, I make sure I have the whole lesson. If its not there, I grab it from the previous week.

This is essentially what I do with books like that. I file, starting with the first week, everything that needs to be in that week, and put a sticky note on the back of the last page to remind my kids and myself to file it back into next week's folder. Without the sticky there, sometimes dd kept on working and did that page ahead of time LOL.

We are going to have to keep up with each other to see how this all works out. I hope it meets our expectations.

Me too :001_smile: or i might have a bunch of crazy moms chasing me :auto:

seriously though, there is no system in the world that will fix everything (darn!). The reason -I- started filing was not only to be more organized, but also to help fix my attitude about schoolwork. I needed to give myself permission not to do EVERYTHING i had planned, and learn to just keep going when we fell behind a bit.

If you set up your files, but start to get behind in a subject, don't let it mess the whole year up for you. Take a breather, stretch a week's worth of work over two real weeks, do some stuff orally, let it go, and start fresh with the next week's folder the following monday.

Just because you have pre-photocopied everything doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Save it for your younger kids, or for scrap paper, but don't let the system control you. Always remember that it is here to help you, not you to serve it.:D

Edited by catholicmommy
Silly typos

I started! I haven't gotten to filing yet, but I'm making my way through lesson planning on the quarter planners. So far, I've finished math and half of phonics. Not much it seems like, but it took me FOREVER!

For math, I'm using two programs so I wrote out the lessons on separate quarter planners, is this the correct way to do it? We don't always do both programs on the same day so I figured it would be easier this way.

After I have it all laid out in front of me (I'm highly visual), then I think I will be able get the filing process done easier.

Right now I'm thinking to keep math and phonics in a file by subject and all the rest filed by week. This way I can just go through weekly and add the worksheets from the core subjects to the other files according to where we are at. (Ds1 often needs simmering time.)

You all have been very inspiring!

I held out as long as I could, but finally had to search the boards on this filing thing. :D I started this morning and ended up at Dawn's blog (sunlight & candlelight?). Anyway, I happened to have a crate and file folders laying around. On the way home from an appt this afternoon, I bought hanging files, and I think I'm hooked!

Now I've set them up and then came back to read the rest of this humongous thread - you ladies amaze me! Now, I have to go to Dollar Tree tomorrow to find library pockets.

I play around with lots of organization stuff, and usually change things a few times a year, but I think this might actually stick!

One tweak. On Dawn's blog, she shows how she staples a sheet of paper to the front of each file for "to do" and dinner plans. Well, I stapled my Motivated Moms sheet for the week to the front of each file and figure I can write dinner plans directly on it. THat may be a little OT since y'all seem to be using it only for lesson planning, but I'm trying to get everything centralized into one spot.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributed here. Now, I really need to study for my test tomorrow instead of lurking around here....:tongue_smilie:

Good night, all!

I know you have purchased it already but another solution is buying PDF's. That's what I just did with FLL 1 and I intend to do the same for certain things when this option is available. Then you can just print off the pages you need ;). As for teacher's instructions I will just use my son's mini laptop that is in our school area and this way I avoid printing off things that I don't need to. Helps save the environment a little too :D. Besides, scrap paper is the biggest cause of clutter anyway ;).

Thanks. I like the hard copy. Actually, I figured out the cost of buying it off Amazon already done was cheaper than me keeping it and printing it out anyway! And I like the hard copy teacher's manual. I just don't want to sit at my computer teaching. :)

I did what the others did and just put the page in the week before, but I was too lazy to use markings...there's no way my DS would do more than necessary LOLOL!!! And on the bright side we can now finish FLL several weeks early. :lol: It's nice to know ahead of time the buffer I have. I think it will be great to finish it early though and lighten our load as the year comes to a close. Now that I think about it, we started WWE2 last year and will finish that about 7 weeks early too. Rather than start WWE3 I think we will just take a breather at that point. We all know how those last weeks of school just get to be cumbersome!! We'll have more time for fun at that point which will be great. :) Now that I think about it, I think I will file the first several weeks or so of FLL3, but keep the rest in it's own file (already separated by weeks) in the back for now. I know we will take some field trips and such to bring history alive, and it will be nice to know we can put FLL and WWE on hold when we travel for that. Then I can put FLL in the files accordingly if we get off track with a little without having to refile the whole year!

Thanks. I like the hard copy. Actually, I figured out the cost of buying it off Amazon already done was cheaper than me keeping it and printing it out anyway! And I like the hard copy teacher's manual. I just don't want to sit at my computer teaching. :)

I bought the pdfs and am thrilled with them for a few reasons: I can scale it down in size when I print it off (I don't like how BIG the spacing is for them to print), and I can read the TM from my iPad which makes me HAPPY :D

Is anyone adding home management pages to their files? I'm thinking menu plans, vacation lists...combining By Sun and Candlelight's home files with the school files http://dawnathome.typepad.com/by_sun_and_candlelight/2006/09/my_file_folder_.html.

I don't know that I can fit much more in my crate but menu planning is something I also hate doing on the fly.

I was just pondering this...I would love to have all my teaching stuff and house stuff in one binder but it would be HUGE. So I toyed with the idea of 2 binders which I also dont like.......

For now....I put it all in one huge binder and I bought a clipboard. My clipboard will have what is need for the week. My binder is my "spine" I will have all my "master" sheets in there...menu, cleaning, school schedules, misc schedules, appts, etc

I made a simple sheet in Word that has a weekly outlook: The title is:WEEK 1...one section is labeled SCHOOL TO DO: this is where I put order week 3 books, buy week 3 supplies, and I will wrie down any extras needed for that week of school Next section says HOUSE TO DO: here I will list any extra chores/etc. On the back I have one sections for MEALS and under that a running shopping list beginning with SOTW or SCIENCE supplies needed for week 3

I always planning on being 2 weeks ahead. I already ordered weeks 1 and 2 books from the library (we start AUG 2nd) so Aug 2 list will be titled WEEK 1 and I will be preparing for week 3.

I made a copy of the back page and put with the next weeks lesson. This was simplier and easier for me then having to think that this page needs to go with next week. I did this for FLL3 and 4 and I didn't have to copy that many pages (or least it didn't seem like that many). For FLL3 workbook I have the pdf and I am buying the pdf for FLL4 (I have a partial workbook) and I like being able to print what I need.

Is anyone adding home management pages to their files? I'm thinking menu plans, vacation lists...combining By Sun and Candlelight's home files with the school files http://dawnathome.typepad.com/by_sun_and_candlelight/2006/09/my_file_folder_.html.

I don't know that I can fit much more in my crate but menu planning is something I also hate doing on the fly.

I am trying to figure out how to make this work with one planner that will not be huge. I am not sure if I have a solution yet or not, but I am working on it. I will post when I get it finished.

I was filing more things last night and I am thinking that I may go with a set of folders for each child. Not sure yet but I think that may be simplier for me and save me time in the long run.

Right now I have one set of 10 folders for the boys (so 9 weeks and one master) and then 36 folders divided by units (we are using TOG so 4 nine week units). Originally I had planned to move things to the boys folders each unit, now I am not sure.

BUT the most exciting part to me is that we are actually finishing what I wanted to this summer. We are finishing up week 3 and only have a few things we haven't finished up this week (one subject). Next week we should be totally caught up and that is miraculous at our house. ;) So I am definitely hooked. Thanks again for such a great system and all the great discussion.

I actually have a summer and a winter "ultimate" menu that I use. It uses the dinners we like and I don't usually have any repeats more than once a month so we are not getting tired of the same thing over and over. I try to make it so I can use an "ultimate" shopping list where I buy basically the same ingredients every week (thus limiting my shopping list making) and just use them to make different meals. This would consolidate 52 weekly menus to only 2. Also, I don't necessarily make what I have scheduled that night, but mix it around as need be. Here is a link to my summer menu

I also have a camping checklist that I can upload (can be adapted for vacations)

Edited by kayinpa

I actually have a summer and a winter "ultimate" menu that I use. It uses the dinners we like and I don't usually have any repeats more than once a month so we are not getting tired of the same thing over and over. I try to make it so I can use an "ultimate" shopping list where I buy basically the same ingredients every week (thus limiting my shopping list making) and just use them to make different meals. This would consolidate 52 weekly menus to only 2. Also, I don't necessarily make what I have scheduled that night, but mix it around as need be. Here is a link to my summer menu

I also have a camping checklist that I can upload (can be adapted for vacations)

Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing this! I just downloaded it.....and although I'll need to tweak it a bit to fit our family's needs, this is going to be a huge help! I typically do a menu for each week (planning on Sunday for the week ahead), but doing it by the month would save so much more time.

thanks again for sharing...off to 'tweak!'

I was just pondering this...I would love to have all my teaching stuff and house stuff in one binder but it would be HUGE. So I toyed with the idea of 2 binders which I also dont like.......

For now....I put it all in one huge binder and I bought a clipboard. My clipboard will have what is need for the week. My binder is my "spine" I will have all my "master" sheets in there...menu, cleaning, school schedules, misc schedules, appts, etc

I made a simple sheet in Word that has a weekly outlook: The title is:WEEK 1...one section is labeled SCHOOL TO DO: this is where I put order week 3 books, buy week 3 supplies, and I will wrie down any extras needed for that week of school Next section says HOUSE TO DO: here I will list any extra chores/etc. On the back I have one sections for MEALS and under that a running shopping list beginning with SOTW or SCIENCE supplies needed for week 3

I always planning on being 2 weeks ahead. I already ordered weeks 1 and 2 books from the library (we start AUG 2nd) so Aug 2 list will be titled WEEK 1 and I will be preparing for week 3.

This sounds like a great idea, can you share your sheet you made up?

Thank you! I have been trying to figure out how to do something like this and just couldn't quite work it out in my head. This is perfect and I would love to see your winter menus also. Do you keep a master shopping list? THat is what I am working towards. I know we will eat the same foods over and over and I would love to be able to go to the store every two weeks and buy the same things and be done with it.

This sounds like a great idea, can you share your sheet you made up?

I do not know how to attach it and am leaving for vaca in the morning for a week. When I get back I will make sure to put it on here! It is just super simple and b/w because I only use my laser printer these days: :001_smile:

Thank you! I have been trying to figure out how to do something like this and just couldn't quite work it out in my head. This is perfect and I would love to see your winter menus also. Do you keep a master shopping list? THat is what I am working towards. I know we will eat the same foods over and over and I would love to be able to go to the store every two weeks and buy the same things and be done with it.

Here is the link to my Winter Menu

and my Camping Checklist

The shopping list is not perfected, but it has lines to add things

Edited by kayinpa

I don't know that I can reply enough here. I love this post!!

It's inspired me so much!

And the biggest news of all..I'M DONE FILING FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!!

The only prep work I have left is to laminate and glue velcro onto my MOH timeline figurines...and copy the rest of the student pages for WWE1...as I've only gotten the first 4 weeks copied...I plan on doing that this weekend though!

I finished this weekend too. I had a bit of a head start bc I was already planning to do something like this so I had all my spines cut off and holes drilled already, plus all the copying done already - student pages in SOTW, etc. I use HST+ so breaking all the work into lesson plans was pretty easy too.

I was thrilled to see the thread tho - helped me think through some things and make a system that I hope will work for us. I got two Yaffa blocks (remember those?!) from the dollar store for $5 each and just used hanging folders and files I had already. I put 20 weeks in each crate and they are pretty full. I'm working on setting up weekly binders for each of my kids - still trying to decide whether to do that by subject or by day.

Eager to get started on our year and hoping this works well for us...

I finished this weekend too. I had a bit of a head start bc I was already planning to do something like this so I had all my spines cut off and holes drilled already, plus all the copying done already - student pages in SOTW, etc. I use HST+ so breaking all the work into lesson plans was pretty easy too.

I was thrilled to see the thread tho - helped me think through some things and make a system that I hope will work for us. I got two Yaffa blocks (remember those?!) from the dollar store for $5 each and just used hanging folders and files I had already. I put 20 weeks in each crate and they are pretty full. I'm working on setting up weekly binders for each of my kids - still trying to decide whether to do that by subject or by day.

Eager to get started on our year and hoping this works well for us...

I'm finished for the year also. I thought I had two lapbooks to print out and add to my files. Turns out I already did it and forgot! I have been busy getting ready to start school next week and my mind is mush.

Now I have to get my workboxes in order and I'm good to go!

I am done too!! Its so nice to be all ready!

jumpforjoy.gif

Guest *Scarlet*

You Ladies have sucked me in! Someone posted a link to this thread at SL a few weeks ago and I have been trying to finish reading it since then.

I have almost everything filed for the year for 3 dc and have gotten so many great ideas!

Thank you all!:)

WOOT! So great to see more are done filing!:D

I've copied up to week 11 for WWE1...so I'm slowly getting it going. I need to get the first week up in my weekly folders and fill the workboxes and we're def. set to go! I'll begin that this coming week though. Just so glad I have NO MORE filing to do!! I'm super pumped to start off the school year now!

Up till now I only lurked because I didn't have anything to add and I was too busy making notes of all the great ideas. I am nowhere near finished but I have my basics done....like all the folders and finally getting my yearly goals. I couldn't start breaking anything down until I firmed up which curricula I am using lol....

But I really appreciate all your effort and the back and forth to come up with wonderful solutions.

Now I need to go find library pockets because I don't have the patience to make them. I also decided to print out 12 booklists from Donna Young and put each months books and materials on it. I think that will help me get all our library books a couple of weeks in advance. (the amazon man loves me and I can either be lazy or cheap but not both)

Have fun

Up till now I only lurked because I didn't have anything to add and I was too busy making notes of all the great ideas. I am nowhere near finished but I have my basics done....like all the folders and finally getting my yearly goals. I couldn't start breaking anything down until I firmed up which curricula I am using lol....

But I really appreciate all your effort and the back and forth to come up with wonderful solutions.

Now I need to go find library pockets because I don't have the patience to make them. I also decided to print out 12 booklists from Donna Young and put each months books and materials on it. I think that will help me get all our library books a couple of weeks in advance. (the amazon man loves me and I can either be lazy or cheap but not both)

Have fun

Def gonna have to print Donna's book list. I forgot all about that! I did put notes in each weeks folder for what books I need but like you..it'd be nice to know what books I'd need a couple weeks ahead of time instead of the weekend before..:p

Glad you jumped on the wagon!

First off thanks to all the contributors of this thread! I have been following it for awhile now and there is some great info in here! I got my files, library pockets and everything and finally got it all filed away for this year. Granted it is only for pre-k but I wanted to do a trial run before we start K next year. This is going to be such a huge help since we need to build a portfolio for review next year and this makes it so so much easier! I also love how much easier it makes getting the workboxes ready! We just had our first day of pre-k and it was AWESOME and went so smoothly since I didn't have to gather anything and could just go! I am an organizational nut and this was/is perfect for me!

:D

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this thread. I will only have one at home next year, my 8th grader, but I realized that this system will be a great help in getting all those little things done that never seem to get done. I separated the pages of our Meet The Great Composers workbooks, for instance, that I have had on the shelves for years. There are so many projects that we never seem to be able to complete, because they're on a list, and not *right there* in front of us. Or a few times I've come home from work and asked about an assignment, and find that it didn't get done because he couldn't find the book (and, I'm embarrassed to say, that was not an excuse, but actually true).

I work outside the home, erratic hours, so having our materials highly organized is essential for my sanity. My work schedule is more complicated and stressful during the academic year that it is in the summer, so since I have the time now, I'm front-loading all this organizational work. I feel so much calmer facing the year with this (almost) done. Truly, I'm very thankful.

ETA: One more thing: if I could do it over, I would purchase file jackets instead of folders. I found some at OfficeMax. This link does not show the one I'm thinking of, not boxed on the bottom but like a regular file bottom, but you get the idea: http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=prod1960130&history=231grcv3|prodPage~15^freeText~file+jackets^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

I am also using paper clips and binder clips for note cards and for lists, directly on the folder, rather than the pockets. But I admire your fortitude in taking that extra step with the library envelope thingies.

Edited by Nicole M

I wish my camera wasn't broken. Some of you posted great pics of your systems....but I would have taken a picture of me on the schoolroom floor surrounded by our books, and all of the other things that go with them as I tore apart pages and pages. Although it probably would have scared everyone. :tongue_smilie:

The best thing was I feel more organized then ever, and I really got to take a good look at everything and make some decisions. It was a pain but I realized that we didn't need so many weeks for our review of ETC and it is better to figure it out not than to waste 3 weeks because I didn't notice. It also allowed me to plan our US history so that we are studying VA Native Americans at the same time there is a huge powwow we are attending, and to plan on our pilgrim study just before Thanksgiving (I doubt I will be behind before then). I also decided to take all of December off.

It was a lot of work on the front end, but I really think this is an answer to a prayer I didn't even know I had.

I still have to get to Science, Writing/Grammar, and lifeskills. But I completed ETC, Logic, Spelling, Math, and History....and there is always tomorrow. :001_smile:

Ladies!! We have to do a progress report at some time during the year to see how this is working for everyone. Should we set something for late Sept/early Oct? I'd really love to hear updates.

I've got the first 18 weeks done and most of the 2nd 18 weeks. I'm waiting to buy the 2nd half of Math Mammoth to see how it goes. I'm also unsure of 2nd semester for Sci. for my 6th grader. Other than that, I'm almost done. I want to add some scripture memory/handwriting for my 4th grader. ( Her Sunday School teacher provides the verses, and I type them out on Start Right) Anyway, the major stuff is done. I have the last unit of TOG to print and file. I'm close.

Anyway, I'm loving the idea and hope it meets my expectations. This is my 1st year with 4 on board.

I love this thread! I'm technically only on page 16, but I opened a new window to skip to end to post on it. :) Each year I have slowly tried to be more organized and a bit more structured in terms of making sure we accomplish what we need to accomplish, but I have always ran around on Sunday evening (or Wednesday morning or whenever I realized I needed something) trying to get things ready. This year we have a new one joining the family in December and I so knew I wanted to be on top of things so our 2nd half of our school year can be strong. And my answer, I think, is this thread. :D

This is what I've done thus far:

1. I have 36 hanging file folders for the 36 weeks of our school year. I also have 6 file folders to go at the front of each set of 6 weeks to keep my 6-week general plan, plus book lists and anything else I might need.

2. I have labeled all the folders - the white hanging files are labeled 1-6, 7-12, 13-18, 19-24, 25-30, and 31-36. The other 36 (in six different colors - I splurged, but the colors help me visually see the 6-week intervals) are numbered individually 1-36.

3. White file labeled 1-6, plus files 1-6 (so seven hanging file folders altogether) are hanging in a small file box with our homeschooling stuff.

4. The other white hanging files and the other sets of 6-week hanging files are hanging in my file cabinet next to my desk in the other room. Our school room is also our dining room, which is part of the kitchen and I don't have space for a milk crate out here.

5. We are looping our subjects this year in hopes of actually doing things like history, science, and art consistently. So, I made a flow chart with blanks for each subject of the loop, and printed off one per week. On the back, I make a "fill in the blank" type of chart for history, science, and art where I can fill in reading chapters, words to define, art supplies needed, books to read aloud, etc.

6. I also printed out 6 of the 6-week forms from Donna Young to do longer-term planning.

Right now I'm almost done planning and photocopying the first 6 weeks of school. We technically are in week 2, so I'm planning weeks 2-6 today. Each day I hope to get 6 weeks planned so that by this weekend or the beginning of next week, the whole week will be planned and copied. I'm not ripping up workbooks; we use those post-it tabs where we start the next day, plus I like it all put together in a book rather than loose papers at the end. I am photocopying everything we do need: history maps, history coloring pages, science lab sheets, etc.

In each weekly hanging file, I think I'm going to put 4-5 manilla folders, and either organize the photocopies by day or by subject. The subjects that the boys do on their own have their own workbooks or don't tend to require photocopies, so I don't need a folder per child. After I get things going I can take pictures. But, I am so excited to think my year will be planned and prepped and I won't be running around like headless chicken at least once a week trying to figure out what we are doing. :D

I love this thread! I'm technically only on page 16, but I opened a new window to skip to end to post on it. :) Each year I have slowly tried to be more organized and a bit more structured in terms of making sure we accomplish what we need to accomplish, but I have always ran around on Sunday evening (or Wednesday morning or whenever I realized I needed something) trying to get things ready. This year we have a new one joining the family in December and I so knew I wanted to be on top of things so our 2nd half of our school year can be strong. And my answer, I think, is this thread. :D

This is what I've done thus far:

1. I have 36 hanging file folders for the 36 weeks of our school year. I also have 6 file folders to go at the front of each set of 6 weeks to keep my 6-week general plan, plus book lists and anything else I might need.

2. I have labeled all the folders - the white hanging files are labeled 1-6, 7-12, 13-18, 19-24, 25-30, and 31-36. The other 36 (in six different colors - I splurged, but the colors help me visually see the 6-week intervals) are numbered individually 1-36.

3. White file labeled 1-6, plus files 1-6 (so seven hanging file folders altogether) are hanging in a small file box with our homeschooling stuff.

4. The other white hanging files and the other sets of 6-week hanging files are hanging in my file cabinet next to my desk in the other room. Our school room is also our dining room, which is part of the kitchen and I don't have space for a milk crate out here.

5. We are looping our subjects this year in hopes of actually doing things like history, science, and art consistently. So, I made a flow chart with blanks for each subject of the loop, and printed off one per week. On the back, I make a "fill in the blank" type of chart for history, science, and art where I can fill in reading chapters, words to define, art supplies needed, books to read aloud, etc.

6. I also printed out 6 of the 6-week forms from Donna Young to do longer-term planning.

Right now I'm almost done planning and photocopying the first 6 weeks of school. We technically are in week 2, so I'm planning weeks 2-6 today. Each day I hope to get 6 weeks planned so that by this weekend or the beginning of next week, the whole week will be planned and copied. I'm not ripping up workbooks; we use those post-it tabs where we start the next day, plus I like it all put together in a book rather than loose papers at the end. I am photocopying everything we do need: history maps, history coloring pages, science lab sheets, etc.

In each weekly hanging file, I think I'm going to put 4-5 manilla folders, and either organize the photocopies by day or by subject. The subjects that the boys do on their own have their own workbooks or don't tend to require photocopies, so I don't need a folder per child. After I get things going I can take pictures. But, I am so excited to think my year will be planned and prepped and I won't be running around like headless chicken at least once a week trying to figure out what we are doing. :D

I love your plan!! It makes a lot of sense and I like having 6 week folders to keep up with what's coming and what's needed. Thanks for the description!

Guest Hous of Joyful Noise

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. This thread has been inspiring and motivating. I just finished all 607 posts listed so far ;). I have my crates & 46 manila folders. I have my year plan in hand (thanks to SCM Planner) as well as many of my subjects already broken apart by child.

The one factor holding me back from pulling it all together is really such a small detail in some ways. I have 6 children I am currently homeschooling and I can't decide whether to paper clip (color coordinated) each child's week of work together in one weekly manila file (I already have 46 files) or to put each child's work in it's own file. Funds are tight and I know I can get 250 colored paper clips for 1.00 at the Dollar Tree but it will cost me 12.00 to acquire all the file folders (I would need an additional 216 files).... Has anyone else tried to file 6 kids using paperclips in one manila file per week?

Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. This thread has been inspiring and motivating. I just finished all 607 posts listed so far ;). I have my crates & 46 manila folders. I have my year plan in hand (thanks to SCM Planner) as well as many of my subjects already broken apart by child.

The one factor holding me back from pulling it all together is really such a small detail in some ways. I have 6 children I am currently homeschooling and I can't decide whether to paper clip (color coordinated) each child's week of work together in one weekly manila file (I already have 46 files) or to put each child's work in it's own file. Funds are tight and I know I can get 250 colored paper clips for 1.00 at the Dollar Tree but it will cost me 12.00 to acquire all the file folders (I would need an additional 216 files).... Has anyone else tried to file 6 kids using paperclips in one manila file per week?

Thanks!

I started with 5 nine week unit (one summer and then four during the year using TOG). Then I added 3 sets of colored files (one for each of the 3 school aged boys). I added 10 colored files and have one with their name which includes general info and then 9 that are numbered 1-9. Currently I am taking their info out and putting it into each boys weekly file but I am not loving the plan (seems like an extra step). So I have been doing what you talked about and using either paperclips or colored sticky notes to divide their work in the individual file and I am finding that this works better, then for the current week, I pull out their work and place it in our working file (which is an accordian file).

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

I've never had to clip that many different student's papers and store them together, but one thing that popped in my mind is to buy maybe the color-coordinated clips, but also what about taking different colored pieces of paper, fold them in half lengthwise, and use it as a "folder" for each child's school work. Then, use the clip to secure the schoolwork papers to the colored paper "folder". It's more visual than just a clip. (I'm also all about saving money!)

I've never had to clip that many different student's papers and store them together, but one thing that popped in my mind is to buy maybe the color-coordinated clips, but also what about taking different colored pieces of paper, fold them in half lengthwise, and use it as a "folder" for each child's school work. Then, use the clip to secure the schoolwork papers to the colored paper "folder". It's more visual than just a clip. (I'm also all about saving money!)

That is a great idea!!

Guest Hous of Joyful Noise

Fantastic Idea :thumbup: ~ I have lots of colored paper already. All of my kids are gone for the day so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the idea!:hurray: