Menu

My kids are finding that motivating too. We've put up a tree poster (from a teacher bulletin board set) with little tagboard owls in it. The owls are numbered from 1 to 36 and we're taking an owl out of the tree at the end of each week. Dd especially loves it when we get to pick an owl from the KnOWLedge tree.

That's a very cute idea! I think we might try that, but use birds from the Burgess Bird Book instead of owls.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very cute idea! I think we might try that, but use birds from the Burgess Bird Book instead of owls.

I was thinking of using turtles because we decided that was our school mascot. ;) (And I think Festina Lente is going to be our school motto - it is rather apropos considering how scattered and here-there-everywhere my boys can be. :lol: )

Edited by MyLittleWonders

I think the daily check off chart is something we need to implement. Is this something I would made up or is it from one of the online scheduling programs?

sorry.. this is very late..

I made it up myself in Word.. It's basically a 8 x 6 Table.. across the top (skipping the first box) are the days of the week.. Down the side (skipping the first box) are the subject/books and they know it has to be checked off each day.. but they also know they can go ahead for certain things (like Explode the Code or handwriting) and if they complete everything in their folder for that area.. they are done with that for the week.. which thrills them to no end.. :lol:

If you want to actually "see" what I typed up, PM me and I'll figure out how to send it

I need to revamp my system. For some things it works fantastic, for others not as well. I find we are cruising through some things and need to slow down on others.

So I have started re-filing by subject.... But that won't work entirely either..lol

I love grabbing a folder and going, but now that she's cruising through somethings, it's not grab and go anymore.

So now I need to decide what the best filing method will be :001_huh:

I was thinking of using turtles because we decided that was our school mascot. ;) (And I think Festina Lente is going to be our school motto - it is rather apropos considering how scattered and here-there-everywhere my boys can be. :lol: )

You might want to make a pond instead of a tree for those turtles. I don't think turtles can climb trees. :tongue_smilie:

That's a great idea! I only picked owls because on a day when I was thinking about having some kind of countdown, while also feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the school prep that had to be done at the same time that I was planning a birthday party and a baptism and trying to get my house cleaned up for company, I ALSO happened to be standing in a store next to a display of various back to school teacher items that included bulletin board sets and the owls happened to be the cutest of what was left. Burgess birds would definitely be more educational and offer more variety. :)

In the unlikely even that anyone is still reading this, I wanted to throw out a couple ideas.

We're using the Meet the Great Composers workbooks this year; they cover one composer and one musical concept or instrument per unit. We'll do one / week, and make a timeline. The workbooks come with CDs with samples of the music, but there isn't a lot there for each composer. We own tons of CDs, but don't listen to them often anymore, but I dug out relevant works and tossed them into the folders along with the worksheets. I have access to Naxos online, so for the composers I didn't have CDs for, I copied the links to the Naxos file I would need and put it into my iCal. I also put the timeline figures for the composers into the files. We're using the Beautiful Feet composers timeline, but not their program.

I've just come to browse :001_smile: and am reading through this thread - thanks for the mention of the BF composers time line (off to have a look, since we really like our scientists time line from BF)... we're using a similar book to yours:

Stories of the Great Composers

Edited by Tuesdays Child

• 3 months later...

Ok, we tried and failed with our filing system. It has it's benefits! I love, LOVE the concept of it, but unfortunately, it isn't for me.

TOO many loose papers. I have a paper dragon to start with and it was feeding the dragon way way too much.

I'm working on some thing new, nothing I've seen before, but positive it's been done. And it is way easier for me over all.

Can you share what it is? Inquiring minds want to know.:)

:iagree: Seriously! That's like saying you just made the most wonderful dish & not sharing the recipe. :D We are still using the filing system and it is working for us, however I have decided I will NEVER take apart the CLE Light Units again. Ever.

I loved this thread so much when it first began and was able to adjust our classroom.

We added workboxes this year.

We added a lesson planner this year.

We added filing the entire school year.

We continued with the weekly folders for easy grab and go.

We have pretty much ditched the workboxes.

We ditched the lesson planner within weeks of starting the school year.

We LOVE the filing system!! I will do this again for next year!!

We LOVe the weekly folders too!

I love the workbox idea but found that when I would put them together I was literally spreading our school day out WAY more because of the "extra's". I will do this next year but I will have it planned much better. We'll pick it back up for Monday..When dd7 is doing her writing that she needs me only a few mintues I will have dd5 work on her geography map coloring. When dd7 is doing her spelling I will have dd5 work on writing...So the fault was the order I put them in was not working....I use to start the morning out doing all our combined subjects and it didn't work. It's best to do the together stuff when tot boy is napping :p

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread and am loving it on my free time. Today the site was down:glare: and I could not share it with a gf. So glad it is back up.:D I have taken one book apart.:confused: It was hard to do at first but loving it now. :tongue_smilie: I am on my way to be a crate maker :auto:

• 1 month later...
Remember the old binder system? Alot of pp used to do that I wonder if filing and then popping that weeks work into a binder with tabs for the days of the week or subjects in them so that work for the week goes into a working binder and then is filed at the end of the week.

now my wheels are turning.

That's my plan for the year.

I was talking to my SIL and talking about binders and she was thinking about binders and I was thinking about folders. And then I suddenly said, I'm going to 3 hold punch everything but put it in the folder and then when they are finished it will go into the binder.

OMg! Every time I come back to this thread, it's gained about 10 pages! Yikes!

Should I dare add to it, if I've only read the first few pages?

I am trying to figure out how to file in a way that would work for us. I am thinking of filing by subject in 3 ring notebooks. Because I like having everything ready, and in chronological order, but with the flexibility of easily skipping around a little.

This year, for my ds who was in 1st grade, I had a 3 ring binder filled with worksheets from Scholastic books. This wasn't the only work he did, obviously, but I found it very easy to pick out what I wanted when everything was all together like that. I had a big workbook in there and 2 Scholastic books. So I could keep things in order, yet choose whichever was most appropriate for the day.

We are using MUS for math, and each level already has it's own binder. It helps keep us on the current lesson, while enabling me to go back to any previous page we missed if we need some review that day.

But what does everyone do for all the "little" things? Such as, if I have a bunch of odds and ends that I've downloaded from CurrClick, would it be a good idea to print out all of that, too, and have it filed and categorized? I'm thinking yes, as we'd be more likely to use it if it were already downloaded, filed and accessed quickly and easily. Now I'm just trying to decide if each grade should have their own binder for each subject. And where do I keep them all?

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, I hope people will forgive me for resurrecting it. I wasn't around when this was started; I've been reading ever since discovering the thread a few days ago and really want to know if the people who were filing eveything two years ago are still filing. In other words, has this system proven to be helpful and sustainable for the long term or was it just a passing fad?

I believe there are still people using the system. I am not one of them. It did inspire me with some ideas to create a system that does work for us. I might have given it another go with some tweaks if I didn't have to do it for 5 children.

Kay, may I ask what kind of system you came up with that works for you? I'm struggling to come up with a workable system for schooling three children and maintaining order.

I realize this is an old thread, I hope people will forgive me for resurrecting it. I wasn't around when this was started; I've been reading ever since discovering the thread a few days ago and really want to know if the people who were filing eveything two years ago are still filing. In other words, has this system proven to be helpful and sustainable for the long term or was it just a passing fad?

I am still filing everything that can be filed. I plan out all subjects on paper and file weekly the things than can be filed. It was the single best thing I've ever done in my school years, and I'll never stop doing it. I make 2 semester excel sheets for each child with subjects across the top and week numbers/dates down the left. I list lesson numbers, chapter sections, units, etc., to be completed each week. Using 36 folders for the year, I take the lesson plan and tear out all the books that I can putting them in the appropriate week's folder. I take one sheet of paper per week to list everything that can't go in a folder (history book chapters, library books, etc.). As my dd has entered high school I haven't had much to file, so she has binders for every subject where she keeps worksheets and her own work. I still plan her year on the excel sheet, though.

What I do each week has changed through the years, but the filing is still the same. I posted in this thread how I'm doing ds's work each week in an 8 pocket organizer. That has been awesome because the week is laid out for ds, and it's easy to take with us if we need to go out and do school somewhere else.

Kay, may I ask what kind of system you came up with that works for you? I'm struggling to come up with a workable system for schooling three children and maintaining order.

I have an excel weekly planner that I designed for a friend with several children. Would you like me to tweak it for 3 children and email it to you? It's a form where you can list all your kids assignments for one week on one sheet. I have several rows at the top for subjects you do together, then rows below for each child.

I have an excel weekly planner that I designed for a friend with several children. Would you like me to tweak it for 3 children and email it to you? It's a form where you can list all your kids assignments for one week on one sheet. I have several rows at the top for subjects you do together, then rows below for each child.

I would love to see the excel planner. I sent you a pm with my email address. Thank you!

Instead of filing everything by week, I instead filed by subject. I purchased the vinyl folders (each child has their own color, it makes it easier to know who left their stuff in the middle of the floor) with the 3 prongs in the middle. I then hole punched the papers they would need for the year for that subject and put them in that folder which has the subject name in permanent marker on the cover (they are free to personalize it with stickers if they so desire). If I have a workbook for that subject, I leave it intact.

I then make a master schedule folder for each child with dividers per subject. In the front I put 36 weeks (I can fit 2 weeks per page) of checklists by subject with the dates at the top of the week in pencil (so I can change easily if necessary), each week is also labeled 1,2, 3 etc.. They are to check off each subject when completed and they automatically know which subjects are required each day. Behind each subject tab there is a schedule divided by weeks (rows) and days (columns) with the assignments listed. I can usually fit a quarters (9 weeks) worth of assignments on a page. This has helped to allow my older children to work more independently and keep on task. They are also to check off each assignment box as finished to help keep track. I do give them stickers to put on instead of checking off. I also usually leave a couple of weeks at the end of the school year blank in case we need to catch up. I usually start with the youngest child while the others work on their independent subjects and then on up as they need help (usually my 2nd youngest since he is a delayed reader). HTH

ETA- Each child has a crate in his/her color in chich they keep their folders. Also, if their are to many pages to fit in a folder then I use the vinyl 3-ring binders instead.

I've declared war on consumables and printables, so not much to file. If I used more printed pages & independent programs, I would file again. Filing could be very useful if you were unable to teach everyday, your sub / child can work through the folder because you've prepared everything. The system worked for me, but then I changed. I'm using AO's list right now, planning in 3 week blocks. In the new year I hope to graduate to 6 week blocks! :coolgleamA:

I thought I might address the loose paper issue. I put all the week's finished work back into that week's folder. At the end of the year, I go through the folders and decide which items I will keep and throw the rest out. It really helped me not have loose papers everywhere. I find that ds does better writing if the pages are torn out of workbooks, especially if they are very thick and won't lie flat.

Uh, is it really needed to write lesson plans in advance? I have to admit that right now, I'm mostly teaching day-by-day, where each day I look at what we did the day before and decide what to put in the workboxes for tomorrow. If we need more materials, we go online or to the library. And I've been enjoying the flexibility, after years of being a ps teacher.

This is what I was thinking. Every time I try to plan even a week out I just end up changing it anyway. I like the 'idea' of being this organized, but I just don't seem to be able to follow through I guess...I am hoping that it won't really matter in the long run.

I have stayed with my (modified) version of filing, and can't see stopping. I never did tear up workbooks, because they seemed neater all in one book, but I file WWE sheets, spelling lists, coloring pages or craft pages, copywork, math pages (we use Math Mammoth, so the sheets were loose to begin with) and other math worksheets I print from online. I also tuck in readers for my dd--they are still thin enough. I have always tried to print out everything I need at the beginning of the year, then put it into a binder by subject in the order I want to work through them. Every 6 weeks, I pull from the binders and fill new folders. I leave the old, finished papers in that week's folder and periodically go through to purge and organize portfolio material. Easy peasy.

I have stayed with my (modified) version of filing, and can't see stopping. I never did tear up workbooks, because they seemed neater all in one book, but I file WWE sheets, spelling lists, coloring pages or craft pages, copywork, math pages (we use Math Mammoth, so the sheets were loose to begin with) and other math worksheets I print from online. I also tuck in readers for my dd--they are still thin enough. I have always tried to print out everything I need at the beginning of the year, then put it into a binder by subject in the order I want to work through them. Every 6 weeks, I pull from the binders and fill new folders. I leave the old, finished papers in that week's folder and periodically go through to purge and organize portfolio material. Easy peasy.

I sort of do this too though I don't pull out by the week. I don't think in terms of weeks. Instead I teach what's next by subject so having things remain in folders or binders by subject (and within subject by unit if appropriate) works better here. But it works well. Today I just pulled out my folders for the units we're doing in history and science, language arts binders, etc. Our days are basically open and go for me because of this system. I just need to look ahead a week and make sure i have the supplies on the lists.

I do not tear pages out of consumable workbooks. I do print out and store lesson plans, maps, coloring pages, lapbook components, supply lists for the unit, etc. Everything is ready to go.

• 1 year later...