Menu

I like your screen name, by the way, I'm a catholicmommy too. LOL

I've been following this thread with interest. I've been hs for coming up 8 years. I'm looking to create more independence this year especially for my middle schooler. And for a way to get it done each year. Because I find we always get behind and then not done...especially with history and science.

Do you have a crate for each child or just for you and then you dole out the worksheets to each child each week? If you dole them out how do you do this? Do you just hand them their weekly folder that has been in your crate?

Do you have a blog?

I'm sorry for asking these questions if you've already answered them somewhere in this monster thread!

Thanks.

Kim

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that I did last year with my filing system was to think about the littles as well. I had a 4yr old, and two 3 year olds, as well as my school age monkeys :001_smile:. Often when the big kids had a fun worksheet or coloring page to do, the littles started to demand to do school too.... So I decided to add a folder for them as well.

In the preschool folders I had:

-copies of sheets the big kids were doing that week

-watercolor paper for the weeks that the bigs were doing painting in artistic pursuits

-worksheets printed from starfall

-kumon books ripped apart

-rod and staff preschool series ripped apart

-a few file folder games I actually had the time to make once upon a time

Other ideas you could try:

- coloring pages themed to the history or science your big kids are studying

- printables from the toymaker.com

- plans for doing FIAR or BFIAR. (wow, now this is something I would like to try as I always felt like I just didn't have time)

- recipes for play dough or cookies etc... To remind you to have fun with the littles

I did this too! I wanted to add I put some homemade cutting pages.. basically construction paper with lines for them to follow.

cut and paste pages..

Big letters with a page of stickers to stick on the letter.

And then my 3x5's with a game to pull out and do. This week it was lacing cards. and some necklace things.

So to get this straight, you do one folder for EACH child? Or one weekly folder with everyone's work in it? So far I've just done one weekly folder with everyone's work in the same weekly folder. But I only have 2 with work, and the second doesn't have much work as he's only in kindergarten.

And do you do one weekly folder for the preschoolers as well? One for the preschoolers for each week?

So to get this straight, you do one folder for EACH child? Or one weekly folder with everyone's work in it? So far I've just done one weekly folder with everyone's work in the same weekly folder. But I only have 2 with work, and the second doesn't have much work as he's only in kindergarten.

And do you do one weekly folder for the preschoolers as well? One for the preschoolers for each week?

I think it depends upon how organized you think you need to be for your situation.

I have three, and I will be using four folders for each week: one for each of them, and one for me.

I have 4 to work with (8th grade, 4th grade, 1st grade and a preschooler). I have hanging files for each week. Inside the hanging file, I have 5 folders-1 for each child, plus an extra with our history plans in it (we do history together). On the front of the hanging file for each week, I have two library card holders--1 for supplies and 1 for book lists. I write what we need on index cards and stick it in the front so I can easily remember what I need to gather before that week.

I have 4 to work with (8th grade, 4th grade, 1st grade and a preschooler). I have hanging files for each week. Inside the hanging file, I have 5 folders-1 for each child, plus an extra with our history plans in it (we do history together). On the front of the hanging file for each week, I have two library card holders--1 for supplies and 1 for book lists. I write what we need on index cards and stick it in the front so I can easily remember what I need to gather before that week.

Awesome, thank you!

I already had a box of plain file folders so what I did was buy the colored sticker tabs. I use hot pink for DD and hot orange for the boys. Easy to see and grab!

Great idea, wish I saw this before I went to Walmart & Target (thankfully I haven't bought anything yet) :D

I have been lurking on this thread for awhile now and am loving lots of the ideas. Do everything ahead of time just makes sense.:)

My last trip to Walmart I bought filing crate and some hanging folders.

So here's my plan. I will have 40 hanging folders for each week. (I do school 4.5 days a week and my state requires 180days.) Then in each folder I will have all wksheets for the week for all 3 school age dc. I will use different color paper clips for each child to seperate out their papers in the folders.

I am thinking about getting a weekly binders for each child. Then putting dividers or folders for each day of the week which I will fill on Sunday afternoon. I think this makes the most sense to me. Plus I already have tons of binders around the house. :glare:

I have a bin for each child on a small bookcase already. So I will keep their binders in their bins and put teachers manuals beside them. We also keep pencils, sharpeners, colored pencils, glue sticks, and other things needed in bins which has worked well this year. So I won't change it.

Not exactly sure what I will do for twins (2yo) I might just wing it with them. Does this makes sense.

Oh I will also have few extra hanging folders for monthly projects, (1hanging w/12 manila)supply lists, and library list.

Thank you soo much for ALL the great ideas. I am really looking forward to being well organized this year. ;)

I have been lurking on this thread for awhile now and am loving lots of the ideas. Do everything ahead of time just makes sense.:)

My last trip to Walmart I bought filing crate and some hanging folders.

So here's my plan. I will have 40 hanging folders for each week. (I do school 4.5 days a week and my state requires 180days.) Then in each folder I will have all wksheets for the week for all 3 school age dc. I will use different color paper clips for each child to seperate out their papers in the folders.

I am thinking about getting a weekly binders for each child. Then putting dividers or folders for each day of the week which I will fill on Sunday afternoon. I think this makes the most sense to me. Plus I already have tons of binders around the house. :glare:

I have a bin for each child on a small bookcase already. So I will keep their binders in their bins and put teachers manuals beside them. We also keep pencils, sharpeners, colored pencils, glue sticks, and other things needed in bins which has worked well this year. So I won't change it.

Not exactly sure what I will do for twins (2yo) I might just wing it with them. Does this makes sense.

Oh I will also have few extra hanging folders for monthly projects, (1hanging w/12 manila)supply lists, and library list.

Thank you soo much for ALL the great ideas. I am really looking forward to being well organized this year. ;)

This sounds exactly like what I am doing. I did do a weekly binder for DD7 so that her week is portable. I put 5 folders in it and blank handwriting sheets and notebooking pages int he back.

I also have a DS4 and DS2. I made a checklist for DS4 of things I want to get done (colors, shapes, motor skills, and begin OPG) And thats all for him. I did make a folder for each week for him and just put in different fun worksheets to cut and color. DS2 is sharing his folder and same thing..simple worksheets) I have a binder of other things to do with them and I am going to block out a time to work hand in hand with them. I also made numbered workboxes for them that I will rotate and change out as the weeks go on to keep them occupied. (those are sooo fun to make! I did one with the Leapfrog letter factory video and the magnetic letters to go with, one with rice and some of their dump trucks, one with colored pasta and measuring cups, one with sand in a shallow dish and a placemat with the alphabet on it for them to copy in the sand....I cant wait to make more!)

Anyway, your plan sounds great!

...I also made numbered workboxes for them that I will rotate and change out as the weeks go on to keep them occupied. (those are sooo fun to make! I did one with the Leapfrog letter factory video and the magnetic letters to go with, one with rice and some of their dump trucks, one with colored pasta and measuring cups, one with sand in a shallow dish and a placemat with the alphabet on it for them to copy in the sand....I cant wait to make more!)

kwickimom- where are you getting these wonderful ideas for your workboxes? and, would you mind giving me a brief explanation of what they are and how you use them? i keep seeing people talk about them, but i really don't know much about them.

Yes, I have one folder per child per week. I also have one preschool folder per week as well (my three preschoolers share this one, and anything they just don't feel like doing I save for next year or a future week.)

:)

Here is my blog post about filing:

For those of you who need a visual, here is my version of how we do the filing system. :)

Thank you for the link that helps me visualize everything. I love the weekly ideas. I have those accordion style folders I might use those instead of binders. That way I don't have to 3 hole punch everything. I will just need to figure out what I will keep from the week in their binders.:D

:)

Here is my blog post about filing:

For those of you who need a visual, here is my version of how we do the filing system. :)

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: Gloriously inspirational . . . .

kwickimom- where are you getting these wonderful ideas for your workboxes? and, would you mind giving me a brief explanation of what they are and how you use them? i keep seeing people talk about them, but i really don't know much about them.

:iagree: Please share! What kind of workboxes are you using? A cart with removable drawers?? I saw a Sterilite cart at Target. It's designed for scrap booking. The drawers have lids (nice for toddlers :) ) and they slide all the way out and can be carried to a table. I wonder if they're deep enough for some of these very fun ideas though. PLEASE share the details!!!!!!!!

I think I read a few threads on them, but I cant think of any specific ones. Mine are not the "official" ones that most people are doing. That is just what I am calling mine because its fits :)

Here is one of the original threads: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86460&highlight=workboxes

As for mine, they are not organized and I am only making them to keep the littles occupied. I have a set of shelves with those sterlite plastic containers on them. I picked up ideas from some threads here and some preschool/k blogs. I love Hubbards Cupboard for ideas. I wrote a number on each of them and I made little number cards to go in an envelope. I am going to let the kiddos draw a number and find their box. I plan on using the same boxes for a week or so and then putting new stuff in.

I am trying to find projects or items that will keep them occupied for 10 to 15 mins at a time and that do not require me to be with them when they use em. I am setting up a little workbox station (basically a little Tykes table) where they are only allowed to use their boxes. The boxes and shelves are kept in my room where they cannot see them so they will ONLY be used at workbox time and where they will stay a "suprise." I am alos toying with a timer system with them. This way they know they must sit and play with their workbox for a specific amount of time. I want to train them to play independantly for a good amount of time.

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: Gloriously inspirational . . . .

:iagree: Please share! What kind of workboxes are you using? A cart with removable drawers?? I saw a Sterilite cart at Target. It's designed for scrap booking. The drawers have lids (nice for toddlers :) ) and they slide all the way out and can be carried to a table. I wonder if they're deep enough for some of these very fun ideas though. PLEASE share the details!!!!!!!!

Ummm..AWESOME cart idea. I may just be heading to Target this weekend. that sounds heavenly!!

I think I read a few threads on them, but I cant think of any specific ones. Mine are not the "official" ones that most people are doing. That is just what I am calling mine because its fits :)

Here is one of the original threads: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86460&highlight=workboxes

As for mine, they are not organized and I am only making them to keep the littles occupied. I have a set of shelves with those sterlite plastic containers on them. I picked up ideas from some threads here and some preschool/k blogs. I love Hubbards Cupboard for ideas. I wrote a number on each of them and I made little number cards to go in an envelope. I am going to let the kiddos draw a number and find their box. I plan on using the same boxes for a week or so and then putting new stuff in.

I am trying to find projects or items that will keep them occupied for 10 to 15 mins at a time and that do not require me to be with them when they use em. I am setting up a little workbox station (basically a little Tykes table) where they are only allowed to use their boxes. The boxes and shelves are kept in my room where they cannot see them so they will ONLY be used at workbox time and where they will stay a "suprise." I am alos toying with a timer system with them. This way they know they must sit and play with their workbox for a specific amount of time. I want to train them to play independantly for a good amount of time.

These are great ideas!! Keeping the littles engaged is HUGE for a successful school day. . . the timer is a great tool. I definitely think it should be used to train the youngers to work for a set period of time. With consistent effort it will work :D. It's a great idea to let them draw a number and to have a little table or other specified place for them. I like the idea of using boxes that are put away on the shelf and saved for "school time". Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing . . .

Excellent blog post, Catholic Mommy! :001_smile: Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to post this. I am sure that it will help many people.

I have been reading this thread for the past week and have been nudged to start our own filing system. This past year was not our most stellar as far as getting work done. I have had a difficult year. Many times I just didn't feel like starting school, so we didn't. Due to this year's life bumps, I extended myself some grace and didn't beat myself up over the lack of schooling. I know, though, that this coming year needs to be different. I think the filing system will solve alot of our problems.

I went to town today and bought all that I needed to make this work for us. I bought a crate, hanging files and file folders (3 different colors for 3 different kids.) I am excited about this new system so I have energy now to do all of the planning. I decided to do it all in one fell swoop, rather than in 6 week chunks (although that would have been so much easier) because I don't know if I will have the energy or the inclination to do this planning in 6 weeks. I am leaving nothing to chance.

It is very scary to do a year's worth of planning. Very scary.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I think you may have all just saved this coming school year for our family. :D

Kwickimom- I have to say a HUGE thank you for the link to Hubbard's Cupboard! I had never seen that blog before and I LOVE IT!!!!

I had it saved in my preschool folder and just relooked at it this week. I am soo glad to have found it again myself. Glad to be able to share...it really rocks!

Thanks so much everyone for the ideas. Still looking forward to seeing more pictures (thank you catholicmommy for yours). Does anyone color code their weekly lesson plans with the color of their daily folders (ex. highlight Monday's lesson to match the color of the folder)? Also I had the idea of using color coded paper clips inside my weekly folders so I would automatically put yellow paper clipped papers in Monday's yellow folder, purple paper clip in Tuesday's purple folder etc. :D

Kwickimom- I have to say a HUGE thank you for the link to Hubbard's Cupboard! I had never seen that blog before and I LOVE IT!!!!

I love Hubbards Cupboard. For slightly older kids she has a ton of emergent readers/printable booklets - sorted by word families, topics and sight words. My son loves them and they're free!

Wow, what a great thread! I've just finished sorting our history pages for the year. I still have a long way to go, but its looking doable. I'm due at the end of September and have been dreading the lull that usually comes after a baby, due to no energy on Mom's part. I think this will really ease the burden of that. I don't have time to add much, but here are some products I've been eying to use.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Preprinted-Project-File-Folders-Letter-24-Pack/product_492027?cmArea=SC1:CG15:DP1453:CL163326 These could be nice to use to make notes of things needed on.

http://www.staples.com/Smead-Top-Tab-Organizer-File-Folders-w-Built-In-Dividers/product_SS1032128?cmArea=SC1:CG15:DP1453:CL163326 These are intriguing, since I have 4 kids doing school.

http://www.staples.com/Smead-Top-Tab-Monthly-File-Guides-Letter-Size/product_SMD50365?cmArea=SC1:CG15:DP1454:CL141691 I'm doing my folders just numbered 1-36, so I thought it would be nice to have movable dividers to give us an idea of where we are.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/425847/Smead-File-Bar-Catalog-Hangers-Pack/ For holding smaller homeschool catalogs, the RR won't fit!

http://www.dvo.com/binders.html#32 This is for the mama looking for binder inserts for index cards. I think the binders themselves look really neat, but they also sell just the inserts (only 4 per page though.)

Just had a lightbulb moment when I read this. I was just thinking about how a week or two in advance to get library books and supplies might not be enough time, but I didnt want to shuffle all my plans from folder to folder either, so making a monthly list and filing it in the monthly folder is a GREAT idea. I can check library books out for 6 weeks and be a month ahead on supplies will be great. I am going to add another crate for "next months supplies" to my shelves.

This is exactly how I'll be using my monthly folders this year. I don't get to the library enough and usually don't do the interlibrary loan in enough time, so some things don't get done because of this (and I feel like the loser hs mom when this happens...lost opportunities). icon11.gif Also, I usually don't get all the supplies needed for projects and experiments so I end up going out at the last minute, which is a huge time-waster and life-interrupter.

My plan is to make a note in my planner at the end of each month to pull the next month's folder and that evening, order what I need from the library and make a shopping list for that week so I'll have the items I need for the following month in plenty of time.

Why I never thought of monthly folders before is beyond me! I guess that's what this forum is about, huh? ;)

Pam

Edited by jpklehm

http://www.dvo.com/binders.html#32 This is for the mama looking for binder inserts for index cards. I think the binders themselves look really neat, but they also sell just the inserts (only 4 per page though)

THANK YOU !!!!!! I can just put 2 cards back to back in a slot, thus making 8. I LOVE IT. Hmmmmmmmmmm now just to see about money, I got my RR book today and have 1000 things circled...oh yeah and my Amazon cart is loaded and waiting......

Thank you, Catholicmommy, for taking the time to explain this so thoroughly.

After reading all this, I have just 1 question: What if you decide to switch curriculum in the middle of the year, but it's already divided into file folders? :)

Ha Ha...You buck it up and stick it out, 'cuz it's just too much dang work to re-do everything, says the mom who just spent 5 days, (and I probably have another 5 to go) typing, filing, labeling, sorting, copying and organizing everything.

I'm actually waiting until my MaxPerks rewards come through so I can finish up and get some pretty stuff.

Ha Ha...You buck it up and stick it out, 'cuz it's just too much dang work to re-do everything, says the mom who just spent 5 days, (and I probably have another 5 to go) typing, filing, labeling, sorting, copying and organizing everything.

I'm actually waiting until my MaxPerks rewards come through so I can finish up and get some pretty stuff.

I feel as if I have been doing this all day everyday for weeks....oh wait I have been! The filing wasnt so bad, the actual lesson planning is killing me. Its soo fun, yet sooo time consuming. I wouldnt dream of ditching a program NO WAY (unless my DD is totally sucking at it of course) As for ME...this is it :D

Hee hee... I actually ditched SWO near the beginning of the year and i was reminded of it every week when I pulled the next folder. It wasn't the end of the world. Just meant that the curriculum that I replaced it with didn't really get done either because I didn't work it into the files. Nothing is perfect, so it didn't bother me.... I've accepted the fact it will never be perfect.

:001_smile:

I just thought of another question. :tongue_smilie: (BTW, LunaLee, I really liked your answer to my 1st one! It would make you think long and hard before switching! Automatic cure for curric. junkies.)

Is there a way to start in the middle? We're in the middle of our books and won't be finished with them all at the same time (or anywhere near it). For ex., if one child is on lesson 123 of math, do I just file that for week 1? I've got to figure this out. I'm still not sure on the actual ripping things out that aren't perforated & meant to be ripped out... but the planning is much needed. I'm in the "I was going day-to-day and doing the next thing and now we're playing catch up" camp at the moment. I'd very much like to move OUT of that camp.

Is there a way to start in the middle? We're in the middle of our books and won't be finished with them all at the same time (or anywhere near it). For ex., if one child is on lesson 123 of math, do I just file that for week 1? I've got to figure this out. I'm still not sure on the actual ripping things out that aren't perforated & meant to be ripped out... but the planning is much needed. I'm in the "I was going day-to-day and doing the next thing and now we're playing catch up" camp at the moment. I'd very much like to move OUT of that camp.

The 'do the next thing' way of planing is so alleuring isn't it? Unfortunately, it usuakly breaks down after xmas break when you don't feel like it and you end up further and further behind.

I wanted to like the LOOP way of doing things, but for me, it didn't work for that very reason. I had nothing to keep me moving at a good pace.

My in depth planning is taking FOREVER. How long is this taking for you guys?

I wrote it out and am now typing it into a spreadsheet. And my stupid books got lost so I reordered them and so I had to "fake" plan SOTW (used some other peoples plans and blogs) and so I still have to go over and plan out the AG when I get it. AND now I am thinking of adding Latin AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am pretty sure from now on I am sending the kids to my moms for a week and just planning like a madman during that week every year.

I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now, mulling over how I want to organize school for next year. Last year I tried workboxes, which I re-vamped a few times throughout the year. By the end of the year they were nothing more than storage devices, and for my oldest daughter, they ended up in her room, in the dining room, in the bonus room, etc. etc.

:smash:

:blink:

So, this idea intrigues me, and I'm going to try it. I just got back from Office Depot, and I bought the bin, the files, and the daily binders for my 3 school age kids, and I'm starting to put it all together tonight. What I'm not sure about is how I'm going to file the finished work that I want to keep. It's a toss up between a large binder for the whole year's work, or a binders for history and language arts, and the rest of the subjects will go into a box in the garage.

I'm still not sure on the actual ripping things out that aren't perforated & meant to be ripped out... but the planning is much needed.

I use a box cutter or craft knife with a metal ruler for a straight edge and neatly chop up every single thing I can divide into the folders. :D

The 'do the next thing' way of planing is so alleuring isn't it? Unfortunately, it usuakly breaks down after xmas break when you don't feel like it and you end up further and further behind.

I wanted to like the LOOP way of doing things, but for me, it didn't work for that very reason. I had nothing to keep me moving at a good pace.

Not so much alluring, it just seems like the logical (and easy) thing to do, esp. for subjects that are already laid out for you like the WWE workbooks, or math lessons. I was telling my mom & dh today about your "Aha!" insight on it being better to miss a few lessons here & there throughout & just do oral catch-up on main concepts than to miss the last huge chunk of a book. They, knowing how many books we're still working on huge chunks of, were so glad you shared these ideas. We're all looking forward to a new way of doing things around here.

As for my question about starting in the middle - we're all over the place. Both boys are somewhere in the middle of their FLL books, math, history, etc. I've got an end date in mind for the overall grade level they're ea. working on, so I'll start with that and then divide up however many lessons are left in the subject per how many weeks we have until then. Once I get started on it I'll post more in case anyone else in my shoes would like to hear how I made it work.

WOW. I might have time to plan WWE based on history and science lessons like I've always wanted to after the basic system is put together. I keep thinking of all the neat things I've always wanted to do that could finally happen. Thanks a million times over!

What I'm not sure about is how I'm going to file the finished work that I want to keep. It's a toss up between a large binder for the whole year's work, or a binders for history and language arts, and the rest of the subjects will go into a box in the garage.

That is where I am at, too. I hate to say it, but I have boxes of the kids' work for each year, and have never decided what to really do with any of it. I've tossed a lot of work, so I don't think I'd have much to do other than actually put them in something. Maybe that could be a Christmas break project, because it won't get done this summer.

What I'm not sure about is how I'm going to file the finished work that I want to keep. It's a toss up between a large binder for the whole year's work, or a binders for history and language arts, and the rest of the subjects will go into a box in the garage.

My tentative plans for this are to have a separate crate for finished work with hanging files for each subject. At the end of the week, I'll just put the work in there, unless it is something that is obviously garbage to me. I'm thinking at the end of the year I may pull samples from some subjects and have it bound. It will be an overview of the year.

Hah!! I'm laughing at myself now. Let's just see if I can pull this file system together first.:tongue_smilie:

I wrote it out and am now typing it into a spreadsheet. And my stupid books got lost so I reordered them and so I had to "fake" plan SOTW (used some other peoples plans and blogs) and so I still have to go over and plan out the AG when I get it. AND now I am thinking of adding Latin AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am pretty sure from now on I am sending the kids to my moms for a week and just planning like a madman during that week every year.

Yes. It has me bogged down. I am wondering if HST+ would help. It's hard to spend the extra money right now, but I think it might be worth it.

I also still have books and programs to order. I need the kids gone too. I only get an hour here or there and can't focus.

Forever sums it up for me . . . but as something is getting planned, photocopied, and filed I feel weights lifting . . . :001_smile:

Yeah, that's a GREAT idea. DH took the kids yesterday (brought baby around for nursing and naps). I spent half the day prepping my "system" (which is gorgeous!) and the other half doing All About Spelling. Now I just have every. other. subject. to plan, copy and file :D. I firmly believe it will be worth it though!!!!!!!!!!!!

I"m getting bogged down, too. I have the first four weeks planned out, I still have to finish my history and science lesson plans and I am in the process of filing the work for the first four weeks. I can see this is going to take a long time. I keep telling myself that it this is time-sucking now but it will be worth it when we are in the middle of our school year. I keep telling myself this. I hope I'm right. :D

Looks like you have tons of helpful responses. I'll add my .02 because I need something to do whilst drinking coffee and avoiding work. ;)

My filing system is very basic, but it works for me.

I have small file box that holds hanging file folders. I also bought some manilla folders and numbered them 1 through 36 since a lot of our stuff works on a 36 week sched.

I have a divider for each of my three children.

So when I look in the box I see each of their names and hanging file folders with numbered folders. Last year I used this for completed work to make it easy for my end of the year scrapbook-a-thon.

This year I may have two boxes, one for work "to-do" and another for completed.

Another possibility is to have one box for fall and another for spring if your one box does not hold all the stuff.

Note: I also use workboxes so I also have a list of what subjects go in which box and have already determined how often each subject needs to be done each week in order to either finish the text or get out of it what I want them to,which also helps.

Has anyone thought of using the cheap pocket binders with the clasps instead of hanging files? You could pick a color for each child, and use the little post-its for tab dividers within each folder for subjects. You could even do kind of a mini schedule in the front with a quick basic daily checklist.

It would eliminate the need to buy hanging files, manila folders for each subject AND something to put them in. They could be stacked or stood upright on a shelf. Not to mention the folders themselves are standard school supplies (have pockets! I love pockets for work in progress.), and could be just grabbed and taken along if you needed to do school on the road.

Has anyone thought of using the cheap pocket binders with the clasps instead of hanging files? You could pick a color for each child, and use the little post-its for tab dividers within each folder for subjects. You could even do kind of a mini schedule in the front with a quick basic daily checklist.

It would eliminate the need to buy hanging files, manila folders for each subject AND something to put them in. They could be stacked or stood upright on a shelf. Not to mention the folders themselves are standard school supplies (have pockets! I love pockets for work in progress.), and could be just grabbed and taken along if you needed to do school on the road.

:bigear: *mulling over..*

It is VERY slow going for me, too. I am doing one person's subject at a time, all 34 weeks. It is leaving me with mental holes and is frustrating me, but there is just too much to do an entire week's folder at a time without forgetting big pieces. I have everything scheduled in an Excel file. I like my excel documents. I have HSTracker, too, but I just don't understand it.

I am still waiting on some books to come, but probably am 50% planned. I am reminding myself that planning TAKES TIME in the beginning, but SAVES TIME in the long run. And right now I have time. In the fall I absolutely will not. (And neither will you!)