Menu

This is my favorite thread ever and catholicmommy is my hero. *happy sigh* I wish I didn't have a house that needs cleaned, because I would love to start planning and filling my folders right now!

hahahaha! Thanks, can i frame that? You should come see what life is REALLY like at my house. I have fun organizing in my HEAD, but in real life, it's total chaos here :-) I figure if I don't get organized now, in another year, I will be really in trouble, because I will have 2 in Kindergarten, and one each in grade 1, 3 and 6 with a toddler chasing after us all.

Glad I could help... If only I always had this much time to think about organizing and chat online... it's only because my darling husband took all 5 kids shopping with him yesterday and to a soccer game the night before. he's MY hero :001_smile:

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholicmommy and MamaMamaMama,

Okay. I get what you are saying. Here's some specific questions. First of all, my plans have slightly changed from what is in my sig. With TOG, one of the things that I liked about it, is the notebooks people put together. I like the idea of having them bound. It seems much more organized and....nice:). lol.

So, I am thinking about this as I am typing this. If I have a way to have them bound, but can pull out sheets and put in as needed (like Levanger, but cheaper....does this exist?) I guess I could just get all the pages ready, file them in a crate system, then when they are done put them into a folder and have it bound at the end of the year. Or....the kind of thing (preferably not a binder) where we can pull out and put in as we go. I'm not sure if my rambling is making sense. Sorry.

I agree with OP. If you bind everything then you cant leave anything out. See the idea with filing is to get to as much as you can and toss the rest. So binding would "BIND" you to doing it all!

Okay....next question. Ambleside. This is a lot of reading aloud with narration at this point. It seems that big chunks of what we do will not be able to be included. What about copywork? Instead of in a copywork book would it need to be on individual pages?

Depends on how you do AO. I would print a page with each weeks assignment on it. Then I'd file pages accordingly. Then your kiddos would have a reading assignment sheet for the week. (i didnt see how many kids you had before clicking reply) I would also file your text books according to the weeks they are used because not all texted are used right away OR every week. Then I'd refile a book that is used say the first week and doesnt get used again till week 4 or something. I'd put a note next to my assignment sheet that says "refile X book in week 4" to get it out of the way.

As for copywork.. IF you assign copywork instead of letting them choose copywork then I would put a page per kid in my file with the selected quotes for the week typed out. Either all on one page for them to copy in copybooks OR one per page with lines under neath for them to copy on. IF I were to have students selecting their own quotes I would have either pre-punched handwriting pages filed each week OR just use copybooks.

Either way I would have pre approved copywork suggestions printed out for them to choose from and filed according to weeks.

What about things like science that uses an IG? I don't want to copy off every page of the IG. Do you rip apart IGs too? It seems that would be very helpful, but then there is less resale value. I'm sure that shouldn't be the priority. It should be making this all work for me. Also, I have things like Lessons from History. Which is a comb bound book with individual readings in it. Does that just go in a separate box nearby? It seems like I'm not much better off if I have so many things "in a box nearby."

I dont rip apart IGs. I leave them alone but any copymaster pages I copy and file. IG's stay intact on my shelf.

This is a great discussion! Went to WM this afternoon to purchase some thread for my daughter (post-camp friendship bracelet making is in full force at my house) and saw they had the file crates on sale for $3. Thought I'd share for those who, like me, will be photocopying & filing this summer!

Laura, who is the proud owner of a bright pink file crate.

This is a great discussion! Went to WM this afternoon to purchase some thread for my daughter (post-camp friendship bracelet making is in full force at my house) and saw they had the file crates on sale for $3. Thought I'd share for those who, like me, will be photocopying & filing this summer!

Laura, who is the proud owner of a bright pink file crate.

Dollar General in my area had pinks, blues and reds in file crates and what I call cubbies.. Sterilite bins.

Wow. Thank you all for addressing my specific questions. The wheels are starting to turn SLOWLY. I think I am starting to see how this may work for me. I like the idea of having it all set up to go at the beginning of the year, but not needing to have it tied to specific dates. My problem (well, one of them:tongue_smilie:) in the past has been punking out partway through the year. I think if it is already set up and organized I will be less likely to do that.

Wow. Thank you all for addressing my specific questions. The wheels are starting to turn SLOWLY. I think I am starting to see how this may work for me. I like the idea of having it all set up to go at the beginning of the year, but not needing to have it tied to specific dates. My problem (well, one of them:tongue_smilie:) in the past has been punking out partway through the year. I think if it is already set up and organized I will be less likely to do that.

I do that every year too! But last year I promised my DH and a dear BFF of mine I would confess to every temptation to punk out! Well that ended in my trying to explain and re-explain why I needed whatever change.. In the end it was more work to explain it then to just stick with the plan! Last year I filed according to MFW and that had a lot to do with it. All year was open and go.

I am LOVING coming back here and reading this thread!!

I've been searching blogs for workbox systems. Since I don't have the space and such for the boxes per subject per child I think I've settled for now on getting a box for each child and placing manilla envies or clear bags in the boxes per subject and doing our workbox system that way. I LOVE the organizational ideas and I can't wait to get this going! I have a little over a month to get this together and organized!

For those that do this...how far ahead do you prepare materials?

I'm thinking of course to have the daily added to the workboxes but I am creating a file cabinet full of atleast the first 4 weeks of work. I'd love to hear more of everyone's filing ideas and how far ahead do you print and prepare?

Ok, question, for things like workbooks, we use CLE for dd6 math. Do you actually rip the workbook apart in order to file each lesson in the correct day, week file or do you just move the workbook from file to file. I am setting this up to use along side workboxes so everything for the week will be in their crates and I can pull from each night and place in workboxes. Which do you all think would work better? Move workbook left intact or separate workbook into single pages?

Ok, question, for things like workbooks, we use CLE for dd6 math. Do you actually rip the workbook apart in order to file each lesson in the correct day, week file or do you just move the workbook from file to file. I am setting this up to use along side workboxes so everything for the week will be in their crates and I can pull from each night and place in workboxes. Which do you all think would work better? Move workbook left intact or separate workbook into single pages?

I, personally, would still rip up smaller books like CLE, just to give myself the flexibility in skipping lessons, or combining two days into one if we're falling behind (and then crossing out half of the problems, obviously). However, youncertainly could just move the workbook along if you want. It just means one extra step of having to find it and refile it. I'm just lazy and wanted to do as much as I could before school started.

I started working on filing this weekend. I love the idea of having a folder for every week and spent this weekend, planning (how many lessons ideally we would work on in a week) and then tearing apart math books, language books and filing other printables by the week.

I am trying to see if I am "brave" enough to take OPG apart and file it by the week. Not sure sure if I am ready to do that or not but I am considering it.

I started working on filing this weekend. I love the idea of having a folder for every week and spent this weekend, planning (how many lessons ideally we would work on in a week) and then tearing apart math books, language books and filing other printables by the week.

I am trying to see if I am "brave" enough to take OPG apart and file it by the week. Not sure sure if I am ready to do that or not but I am considering it.

Hmmmm... That is brave, but makes me think too :). We were really bad about getting to reading each day, and if I had something for him to read to me in his folder each week, it would certainly keep me more accountable.

I wonder if theree are any free online easy readers I can print out and file.

I'll have to look on The Baldwin project.. Thanks for the idea!

Hmmmm... That is brave, but makes me think too :). We were really bad about getting to reading each day, and if I had something for him to read to me in his folder each week, it would certainly keep me more accountable.

How easy? There is starfall. Or Bob books could be filed. OR u could do Abeka or some type readers.

I would copy the OPG instead of ripping it apart.. OR I took all my MFW manuels apart and put the pages in page protectors stored in a 3 in binder. You could do that and put a page protector page in each week. Then when the week is over put back into the binder.

I'm not that brave, since I plan to use it for the next littles ones that come along. If I have time, I may type up daily lessons from the book and print them out. I hesitate because I hate to waste paper. Maybe if I beef up my recycling efforts I won't feel so guilty.

Cindy

OR I took all my MFW manuels apart and put the pages in page protectors stored in a 3 in binder. You could do that and put a page protector page in each week. Then when the week is over put back into the binder.

Now this is an excellent idea! I might be comfortable with page protectors stored in a binder for future use. That's an awful lot of page protectors though.

How easy? There is starfall. Or Bob books could be filed. OR u could do Abeka or some type readers.

I would copy the OPG instead of ripping it apart.. OR I took all my MFW manuels apart and put the pages in page protectors stored in a 3 in binder. You could do that and put a page protector page in each week. Then when the week is over put back into the binder.

Vicki, you are full of great ideas! I love the bob boom idea, I'm definitely going to do that, and I like the page protector idea too.

I guess I should actually start getting my stuff out insteAd of just talking about it. All the ideas are going to take a while to get together!

I'm thinking you can find cheap readers at tag sales or Goodwill or book sales. It wouldn't bother me so much to rip apart a 25 cent book.:)

I never imagined how many wonderful ideas would come from this thread. Thank you everyone who responded with your plans, ideas, and questions.

I worked all weekend planning and setting up files and folders. I still have Science left to plan, as well as our literature selections, but I'm leaving those for later while I think about how I want those subjects to go. I am going to be tearing apart workbooks, printing templates, etc. to file this week. I wish I could do it all in a couple of days, but this pregnancy and my little guy are leaving me with very little energy. How is everyone else doing?

It took me 3 packs of 50 page protectors to do MFW K. I think.. because they type on front nad back of pages. But over all it cost me about $4 a pack. So not tooo horrible considering I'll be reusing all my manuels on other kids. I've done K, 1st, ADV, and ECC. I use a wet erase marker to mark on my page protectors. :)

I went to Walmart today to look for file crates, which they did not have! I realized, however, that ds had one, which I made a deal for.:) I also have hanging files and file folders from a Freecycler. So I'm ready to get started. I decided to start with summer plans, as that will give me an easier way to test this out. I want to do some work over the summer (catching up for slacking off mid year) but not much. It is too easy in the summer to do nothing though and I think this will help so much.

This is my favorite thread ever- and I've been lurking here for years.

Just wanted to add that Tuesday Morning has gorgeous file folders. Really gorgeous. Not cheap though!

Don't tempt me! I splurged on colorful hanging files, but decided to use the box of plain manila folders we already had. Target has/had packages of 8 red, blue, green, and yellow (I think) folders for $2.50 in the dollar bin. I could only find two packages though.

I am LOVING coming back here and reading this thread!!

I've been searching blogs for workbox systems. Since I don't have the space and such for the boxes per subject per child I think I've settled for now on getting a box for each child and placing manilla envies or clear bags in the boxes per subject and doing our workbox system that way. I LOVE the organizational ideas and I can't wait to get this going! I have a little over a month to get this together and organized!

For those that do this...how far ahead do you prepare materials?

I'm thinking of course to have the daily added to the workboxes but I am creating a file cabinet full of atleast the first 4 weeks of work. I'd love to hear more of everyone's filing ideas and how far ahead do you print and prepare?

I believe some of us are preparing for the full 36 weeks ahead of time, and others are doing a couple of weeks at a time. That is the best part of this system; you can customize it to fit your own needs.

http://bygosh.com/kidsstories.htm This is just one of many sites I found that had free printable stories for kids. I am going to print out one for each day of narration with a paper attached for dd10 to write narrations. I think for the longer reads I am going to include a page with name of book listed and place to write in which pages need to be read that day.

I believe some of us are preparing for the full 36 weeks ahead of time, and others are doing a couple of weeks at a time. That is the best part of this system; you can customize it to fit your own needs.

Yep, I hope to have all 36 weeks done before summer is over. I have 18 weeks already planned and paper clipped together just have to get my file folders and start filing. This is so great!!!!:lol: I can't wait for next year when all is done ahead of time.

I'm not that brave, since I plan to use it for the next littles ones that come along. If I have time, I may type up daily lessons from the book and print them out.

I do this and put them in page protectors in a notebook. Since I have 3 to go through (and mine hate the parent text in the middle) this has worked so much better!

No, don't do it! :) What about reselling it in the future? One of the ways I rationalize what I buy (and it isn't that much) is by the promise of selling it sometime down the road. I completely understand workbooks but not OPG.

For textbooks (and I'm going to lump OPG here), I'm going to keep an assignment sheet in each week's folder listing what to accomplish in each textbook (for me that would be Human Odyssey and Apologia) and reading/literature book. I will have a basket for each of my sons with their reading books and textbooks in, and the rest of their work they will find in their weekly folders along with their assignment sheets.

I agree that this has been a very helpful thread!

Pam

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of not taking apart certain books. I purchased my MOH already taken apart in a 3-ring binder but on all other lesson plans that I have more than one child using the book I have put the page number where the lesson is found. Also on some of the lesson plans I have copied certain lessons from the textbooks to save on stress.

I have a question for those tearing apart workbooks. What do you do if part of one lesson is on the back of a page of another lesson?

Thanks.

I'm assuming they're copying the back page, if it is to be done, and attaching it to what needs to be done with it for that day. For example, if lesson 2 starts on the back of the last page of lesson 1, copy the first page of lesson 2 and attach it to the rest of lesson 2. That way you don't have to remember to refile lesson 1 to start lesson 2...

Pam

OK, I had to jump in!:001_smile: I did binders last year. I used TOG weeks as my guide, made binders for each dd (about 6 wks at a time). I tore workbooks apart and had a weekly lesson plan as the first day for each week. If we used a text or computer source for one subject, I just wrote it on their lesson plan in the binder. I was planning on doing the same thing this year, but I am tired of having to spend so much time during the year making binders. So, this is a great solution! I got my crate at WM last night, last one on the shelf! I got colored file folders for each dd to make it easier to find the right file. They each picked a color for the year. Now I can set up the whole year now without having to store huge binders. Why didn't I think of that?! My problem now is where to start with math. We are doing math and Latin over the summer. I'm not sure how far we will get before school officially starts back. I guess I will have to get my summer more organized first.:glare:

Amy - You asked about worksheets where one lesson starts on the back of another. We ran into this last year with our binders. Usually, I would leave it in the divider for the first lesson, then when we finished the first lesson, I would move it to the next week's divider. Alternatively, you could make a copy of the first page of the second lesson.

Great thread! Thanks for all the tips. I needed motivation!

My plan is to move the sheet to the next week's folder. I'll have to set up some sort of reminder, like a post-it note, so I don't forget.

Thanks to all who replied. I think I like the idea of moving it better than copying it. I had someone give me a box of 100 file folders, so I might go get started.

This was a GREAT idea!!! I was able to print short stories and some longer stories by chapter to place in each week's folder for narration for dd10. She will do narration 3x week so I still have a few to go.

Update--I got started this afternoon. I can't believe how easy this is after all. I'm sure I will have more ideas as I go along, but here is what I have so far:

---Hanging folder for each week

---In each hanging folder I have a separate folder for each child, color coded (just happen to have these otherwise I would've gone with cheaper folders:))

---I have one folder for myself which I think will be for a month. I will move it to each consecutive week. In this folder I have a calendar for the month clipped on, a page of seasonal ideas. Any loose pages from IGs for that month. Right now I am trying out Real Science Odyssey, which has free samples online. This is working out so well, as I just file the student pages in their folders and the teacher pages in mine.

**This is one of my favorite ideas so far. On my folder I glued a library pocket on the front. In this I put index cards--one for materials I need to gather or buy, one for library books I need to get, one for books off my own shelves that need to be gathered, and another for field trips/outside activities. I like the idea of having this for the month so I can be more organized for materials, libraries, etc. ahead of time. Also, with the field trip card I will know if I need to get anything organized for that (mapquest, calls ahead)

---For books like all the Ambleside readings, I am just finding where the next reading is and putting a post-it tab to find easily.

So far, I am just working on summer plans. I think if my kids let me focus:glare:, I can finish in a few hours.

I feel slightly nervous, because this looks really good for me so far, but I don't have a good record of maintaining such things. I think the reason this has a better chance is 1) It will all be done ahead of time. No excuses in January. And 2) It is not so challenging or overwhelming to set up.

Edited by woolybear

Update--I got started this afternoon. I can't believe how easy this is after all. I'm sure I will have more ideas as I go along, but here is what I have so far:

---In each hanging folder I have a separate folder for each child, color coded (just happen to have these otherwise I would've gone with cheaper folders:))

---I have one folder for myself which I think will be for a month. I will move it to each consecutive week. In this folder I have a calendar for the month clipped on, a page of seasonal ideas. Any loose pages from IGs for that month. Right now I am trying out Real Science Odyssey, which has free samples online. This is working out so well, as I just file the student pages in their folders and the teacher pages in mine.

**This is one of my favorite ideas so far. On my folder I glued a library pocket on the front. In this I put index cards--one for materials I need to gather or buy, one for library books I need to get, one for books off my own shelves that need to be gathered, and another for field trips/outside activities. I like the idea of having this for the month so I can be more organized for materials, libraries, etc. ahead of time. Also, with the field trip card I will know if I need to get anything organized for that (mapquest, calls ahead)

---For books like all the Ambleside readings, I am just finding where the next reading is and putting a post-it tab to find easily.

So far, I am just working on summer plans. I think if my kids let me focus:glare:, I can finish in a few hours.

I feel slightly nervous, because this looks really good for me so far, but I don't have a good record of maintaining such things. I think the reason this has a better chance is 1) It will all be done ahead of time. No excuses in January. And 2) It is not so challenging or overwhelming to set up.

I have been stalking this thread :D and this plan is AWESOME.I LOVE the library pocket idea. I am going to put one on each weekly hanging folder and have a supply and booklist for each week. I LOVE the monthly traveling folder idea. I was liking the file system, but I dont want to plan by dates or days of the week. I want to plan weekly and thats it. But I was I struggling on what to do with monthly things I knew would creep up that I wanted extra worksheets or books for ( like seasons and holidays) Sooo....

I am thinking I will go ahead and hang 12 additional folders in the back of the 36 with just the months written on them and I can easily file things monthly. I can then have all my 36 week lesson plans all lined out, along with extra monthly plans and I will be organized, but there will be no need to stick to any exact "dates."

Woohoo. I cannot wait to get to walmart and get all of my supplies and get this started!!!

No, don't do it! :) What about reselling it in the future? One of the ways I rationalize what I buy (and it isn't that much) is by the promise of selling it sometime down the road. I completely understand workbooks but not OPG.

For textbooks (and I'm going to lump OPG here), I'm going to keep an assignment sheet in each week's folder listing what to accomplish in each textbook (for me that would be Human Odyssey and Apologia) and reading/literature book. I will have a basket for each of my sons with their reading books and textbooks in, and the rest of their work they will find in their weekly folders along with their assignment sheets.

I agree that this has been a very helpful thread!

Pam

This book has been through 3 and will be 4 boys (and maybe more). It is NOT in any condition to be resold. I am actually thinking that taking it apart and putting it in page protectors may be a better solution than anything else.

I have a question for those tearing apart workbooks. What do you do if part of one lesson is on the back of a page of another lesson?

Thanks.

So far I just plan to keep it in the binder for the next week. but the more I think of it I might just copy them ... tonight?? :confused: Or maybe stick with the plan LOL. :lol:

See! I told you it wasn't so hard! And it's fun too :). I love feeling like I'm in control.... And this system requires minimal effort to keep it up, which is why I tried it in the first place because I always start to slack off in January too.

I just LOVE your idea of a monthly folder for yourself. That is awesome. I couldn't think of how to have my own folders, because I was trying to don weekly ones for myself, but didn't want to tie each weekly file to a particular week in real life to give myself more flexibility. THANKS!

Me, too. I check back at least twice daily to see what new things have been said. :D

:D Me three! Okay Geek I have to ask... Werent you on the Sonlight forums? I was a SLer year before last and I remember a Geek from a laundry soap recipie and a housefire. I still lurk there but dont see Geek anymore..

I was about to pull out the pages of Spelling Workout when I realized that the pages are not perforated. How do you rip apart workbooks like this one? I suppose I could take the book down to Office Depot and have them cut it for me. Any other ideas?

Spelling by Sound and Structure was that way. I find I can just ripe them out. Test it in the coverpage. :) IF that doesnt work sometimes you can peel off the binding. I did that with S&S too.

:D Me three! Okay Geek I have to ask... Werent you on the Sonlight forums? I was a SLer year before last and I remember a Geek from a laundry soap recipie and a housefire. I still lurk there but dont see Geek anymore..
Yes, that's me. Too funny! Still using my homemade laundry routine (not recipe), and we got back into our house after nine full months of rebuilding.

I do not go to Sonlight anymore. I think their company leadership is a bit...whacked.

Me, too. I check back at least twice daily to see what new things have been said. :D

Me three! Newbie here trying to figure out how best to organize everything- particularly our science, history and religion which I am pulling together myself.

You know, ladies - this is what I love about the WTM board -

I've been h'schooling for 13 years. And today - just reading this thread - you've inspired me and I've learned something new!

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? ;)

I too LOVE the folder for yourself! I also love the library pocket idea too. Since I just ordered some library pockets I will have PLENTY left over and I'm gonna use some in the hanging file folders to put such things as you mentioned on the index cards. This will help me be prepared that much more!

Off to purchase XL ink cartridges so I can begin printing and copy'ing lessons for this upcoming school year!

I love this forum! Did I mention that yet??:lol:

Guest aquiverfull

I've been enjoying this thread as well. Very good ideas here. Thanks ladies!! We used workboxes last year and it went pretty good. I used magazine files for my dd. I only had her to homeschool and will be adding in 1 -2 more children next year and I need something more compact due to space. I really like the file folder idea. I'll admit, I'm a little scared to rip apart workbooks though...lol.

The library pocket is an excellent idea. And here's a free template you can print for one:

http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/library.htm

There's some other neat templates on that site too.