Menu

Frugal homeschoolers-- how do you do it?

I'm :bigear: too. I've wondered about the quality of a lot of the free resources. I know MEP is really good, but some of the others have me curious. The other thing I've wondered is that many of the free resources require a lot of printing, so how does someone who is frugal keep the printing costs down since they can really add up.

I'm :bigear: too. I've wondered about the quality of a lot of the free resources. I know MEP is really good, but some of the others have me curious. The other thing I've wondered is that many of the free resources require a lot of printing, so how does someone who is frugal keep the printing costs down since they can really add up.

Yes I am curious about this to! I do know somebody in our homeschool group who is VERY frugal and her kids are amazingly smart. She does it with no printing as well. But she wont tell any of her secrets:glare:

I go on a thrift store trip once a week to look for books. I take the SL and WP booklists with and scrounge through all the bookshelves. I've built the majority of our library with .50 books, and I've even found oldest DS's last two Singapore workbooks there.

I do this too but still end up spending a pretty good amount. granted it is my first year HSing and a lot of it has gone to the 12yo and 9yo but as a PP mentioned you either spend in time or money and personally my time is precious and I would rather spend it with my kiddos and my DH learning and enjoying then hours spent plotting, planning and searching. Just figuring out our plan of what we want was exhaustive and took almost a year, I couldn't imagine doing that in an ongoing fashion but I suppose if finances demanded it there would be little choice

I don't know that I would be considered a really frugal homeschooler but I am taking a much more frugal approach than in year's past, partially because we had planned to continue with K12 virtual academy next year and when I decided I didn't want to, there was no money for books. Also, as a Catholic, I have yet to find history materials that I want to spend money on so I am creating my own study. I purchased what I felt needed to be purchased (Math, etc) but I was able to get part of that from paperback swap and used from betterworldbooks.com. We are going to do a program similar to WP's CAW next year and I am using a website called Culture Grams available through my library and extensively using internet, library and netflix. I have a lot of time invested in it but personally, I spent tons of money on curriculum in the past and still ended up investing a ton of time tweaking everything. I am fortunate to have access to an excellent library system and I fully plan to take advantage of it this year.

I am also not trying to purchase everything all at once. I have done this in the past and sometimes ended up with a bunch of stuff I never used because the program didn't work out for us. So, purchasing in smaller increments allows me to spread out the costs and maybe avoid one I don't really need. I am also trying to be more flexible. Last week, I found a brand new grade 2 math book at the thrift store for $0.99. It wasn't exactly what I was wanting but after looking through it, it will get the job done and it was only $0.99 instead of what I would have spent to get something else.

As for printing, I try to keep that to a minimum although if it is something I will be printing/copying, I try to get it in ebook form because the costs of printing at home are less than copying at Kinko's etc for two children.

I am also not trying to purchase everything all at once. I have done this in the past and sometimes ended up with a bunch of stuff I never used because the program didn't work out for us. So, purchasing in smaller increments allows me to spread out the costs and maybe avoid one I don't really need. I am also trying to be more flexible. Last week, I found a brand new grade 2 math book at the thrift store for $0.99. It wasn't exactly what I was wanting but after looking through it, it will get the job done and it was only $0.99 instead of what I would have spent to get something else.

As for printing, I try to keep that to a minimum although if it is something I will be printing/copying, I try to get it in ebook form because the costs of printing at home are less than copying at Kinko's etc for two children.

I spread out purchases too, which helps.

Buying secondhand as much as possible and using the library a LOT really help too!

I'll think of some more....

I have found you need to "spend" somewhere, whether it be with time or money.

:iagree:

You can buy a spelling book or make up your own activities with a list (ie. write the list words 3 times each, make up original sentences with your spelling words, etc.)

You can buy a pre-planned history curriculum or go with something like Story of the World and make up your reading schedules with books from the library. You could even skip SOTW and just use the library. Same goes for Science.

Math? Stick with non-consumables or have them not write in workbooks. Print worksheets off the internet.

Handwriting can be covered within other subjects (like copywork.)

Etc.

I have more time than money (not that I have a lot of either!) and I am only buying a few things for next year. I have sold a great majority of what we had and now have it whittled down to bare basics and our really good library.

ETA: I also trade/borrow with other homeschoolers. A friend in NC loaned me her SOTW 2 Activity Guide and I loaned her SOTW CDs, Writing with Ease, etc. in the past.

Ever type a response and it erase as you finish, just happened. So, take two.

I am just learning too, but here's what I've tried.

1. I found another family in my lil wyoming town using the same curr. so we split the costs and staggered out starting time in the fall. Not ideal, but it worked and we saved 1/2 the cost. Some things can't be split so you buy your own, i.e. workbooks

2. We reserve books in advance at the library so we have what we need when we get to that week.

3. I look throught everypage of what I'm about to print and only print the absolute nesc. pages. (Some are just a waste or even blank.)

4. I spend way to much time checking all the used sites including ebay, amazon, etc...

5. I resale anything that's not tied down or for sure going to be used for my next lil guy. If in doubt sale it and buy it used later. Worry about what you need for this year, bc chances are you'll have changed your mind by the time the next one is ready for it. IMO.

6. We refill our printer cartridges instead of going new. Hasn't been a problem yet.

That's what I got so far, but still learning!

* Buy at used curriculum sales. I go to 3-4 of these each year.

* Go to the library book sales. Check the ones in nearby towns too.

* Borrow/share with friends

* Use the library alot. And don't forget about the college ones.

* Private, Charter schools often have great used book sales.

* Yard sales, Goodwill and numerous second stores

* Online such as: Craigslist, Ebay, etc

Hands down the library is our single biggest money saver. Of course we get books, but also non-fiction and fiction movies as they pertain to our studies, and I take advantage of ILL. I also hit pretty much every used curriculum fair in our area, which requires that I have my next year's plans all ready to go so I know what to buy. Good Will, used book sales and garage sales are another area where I find bargains on books that we use (dictionary, atlas's, etc.)

Guest RecumbentHeart

I read from the lady over at An Old Fashioned Education that investing in a laser duplex printer (get a good deal of course) saves a lot of time and money over the years when you're printing a lot of your curriculum out. I know she seems to rely heavily on e-books (there's a lot of awesome stuff out there) and the library. She prints out all those e-books though.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Yes I am curious about this to! I do know somebody in our homeschool group who is VERY frugal and her kids are amazingly smart. She does it with no printing as well. But she wont tell any of her secrets:glare:

That's kind of messed up. I don't understand that kind of attitude at all. Who wouldn't want to help others save money (or whatever) when they're eager to learn? :confused:

* Buy at used curriculum sales. I go to 3-4 of these each year.

* Go to the library book sales. Check the ones in nearby towns too.

* Borrow/share with friends

* Use the library alot. And don't forget about the college ones.

* Private, Charter schools often have great used book sales.

* Yard sales, Goodwill and numerous second stores

* Online such as: Craigslist, Ebay, etc

:iagree: The library is my number one resource. For this coming school year, I based all our read aloud choices on the lists from Ambleside Online, Sonlight and the Hillsdale Academy curriculum (I went to Hillsdale College so I hold the academy in pretty high esteem. Their curriculum dowloaded as a PDF is free too --- http://www.hillsdale.edu/academy/academics/curriculum.asp). I request items the week before I want them and usually don't have a problem getting them (we have a main library and 3 branch libraries in my town so we're pretty blessed).

I bought Rightstart Math Level A from Rainbow Resource (too hard to get all the manipulatives together 2nd hand), but bought Level B from eBay on the cheap and found Level C ridiculously cheap (like $12) at a used curricula fair. I would say used curricula fairs are an awesome resource if you go in with a list of what you're looking for. eBay is great, but you really have to watch your prices. You can tell there are curricula junkies on the loose there because sometimes used items go for more than they cost new!

Amazon has also been good for finding things that I need for cheaper than elsewhere.

My biggest challenge is not buying more than what I actually need...or being sucked in to switch to something new by all the great ideas on this forum.

I wonder what counts as frugal? I just shopped at our local homeschool store and got 80% of our next year's 8th grade curriculum for $136.00. I have my name on a list for a couple of things that I still need in case they come in. I will also look for some things through B & N or Amazon used books. I often will find totally new workbooks or textbooks through the used book section at a fraction of the price. (And since the spines are not even cracked they are truly new).

I will not spend anything new for 4th grade because I will reuse all that curriculum.

I do have a copier at home (my best big school purchase many years ago) and use it for some materials. Or we will print off some free things esp. from http://www.math-drills.com/ I'm not sure how much toner and paper costs per year.

I also use the library a lot. But I have to be careful that the library doesn't become expensive because of overdue fines. . .

We do a lot of free field trips - sometimes on free days and sometimes things like beaches that are always free. We do use Christmas money to buy one membership a year. This last year it was the zoo. This coming year it will be the aquarium.

• I use our library, a lot. Literature, poetry, etc., all borrowed from the library

• I spread my purchases out through the year

• I buy used when possible.

• I resell whatever I am done with

• I really evaluate if it is worth my time or the monetary investment. Some things it is better just to purchase then spend my time printing and sorting.

Guest 4whitedasies

Why wouldnt she share her tricks I am so happy to help others save money and time!~

Why wouldnt she share her tricks I am so happy to help others save money and time!~

I have wondered that myself! I honestly do not know! She will not open up about anything they do. Like its some big secret! I love to help people save and I love learning how to save. She is the sweetest person you will ever meet, but she just wont open up about her tricks.:confused:

I have wondered that myself! I honestly do not know! She will not open up about anything they do. Like its some big secret! I love to help people save and I love learning how to save. She is the sweetest person you will ever meet, but she just wont open up about her tricks.:confused:

Perhaps she has profoundly gifted kids and knows that her methods will not work for the majority of other people? Perhaps she uses methods that she feels other people think are too "extreme" and doesn't want to risk being criticized? Who knows.

I do lots of these things but here are some others!

We use lots of notebook paper or page protectors and dry/wet erase markers instead of fancy workbooks, even for things like WWE, FLL, spelling, miquon, ect. (those workbooks can be really expensive and this way one will last for all my kids).

We make do with what we have instead of buying what is new. This year the real debate has been if SOTW 1 will be okay for the next go around or not. There is still so much for them to do and learn in there we are just going to start it over. Lots of books from the library and history for 3 will be free this year!

I have always had a good grasp of what will work or not for us, and rarely buy something that doesn't work.

As the kids have gotten older we have talked about what curriculum will work and how to spend our money. Sure our spelling is kind of boring, but if we can just work on it diligently and helpfully, instead of whining about doing something else then the money that we save for buying a spelling program with bells and whistles can be used to buy ________ (some fun logic or science extra usually).

I keep long wish lists at Amazon and Rainbow Resource and don't purchase for several days to weeks. This stops any impluse spending and usually when I get back to them I am ready to heavily prune them.

I really only spend much time on here when I am actively searching/reasearching curriculum. Other wise I get the I wants, when usually we have more than enough already ;)

I know it is VERY possible and happens alot to be VERY frugal and give your dc an EXCELLENT education. Would you mind sharing your secrets? :bigear:

1. Page protectors. I have books that I bought for my oldest that all 4 of my kids have used because I took them apart and put them in page protectors. It isn't a violation of copyright, so you can do that with any workbook that isn't copyable.

2. Buy used, but to get the best deals you have to check often, and buy ahead. You aren't going to decide you need something and have it be there that same day cheap. You have to be watching for it up 6 months ahead of time.

3. Modify stuff that isn't working well instead of just dumping it. I think the hardest time I had with this is when I realized how hands on my kids are and decided to move to Winter Promise, but I had 3/4 of SL Core 2 to finish. There really wasn't much of a choice, I didn't have the money to just switch, and it was torture because I didn't know how to add the hands on myself back then. Yet despite that we made it through and enjoyed WP all the more for it.

Heather

The library is my best friend. If I'm not picking up a huge stack of books, the librarians actually ask if something is wrong. :tongue_smilie: I use the booklists from WTM, Timberdoodle, Sonlight, and the Read-Aloud Handbook and go from there. If the library doesn't have it, I hit Amazon to find something comparable that the library *does* have.

Then I shop used curriculum fairs and only get what I *know* I will use.

I have a few homeschool friends (one who has graduated 4 kids at this point) who will share resources with me. I take excellent care of their things and give them back in a timely fashion so they are willing to give me more.

I don't use any pre-packaged curricula.

Like someone mentioned above, I exchange money for time. I save money (I've spent <$60 for my full 1st grade curriculum), but it takes a LOT of time to do all the research, scheduling and planning by myself.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Perhaps she has profoundly gifted kids and knows that her methods will not work for the majority of other people? Perhaps she uses methods that she feels other people think are too "extreme" and doesn't want to risk being criticized? Who knows.

If your children aren't perfectly average and your methods don't look anything like the norm in your locality, you learn pretty quickly to just keep it to yourself.

That's what I was thinking. She's probably been burned before.

When I was on my own for homeschool costs (before enrolling in the virtual academy), I did my best using the library exclusively for science and history. I used Spectrum-like workbooks for language arts and math. Homeschooling cost about $50 per child. They scored amazingly well in language arts and math but we did a poor job covering other subjects.

When my son caught up to my daughter for math, he wanted to do the next level before I was ready to buy the student pack (MUS) for him. I ended up pulling my daughter's work out of my files and copying the problems onto the white board for him to do. I can imaging using a white board could be very cost effective.

The next two levels of math, he used the test pages only and we saved the workbook for my daughter. One worksheet per lesson probably wouldn't work for most people though. It worked well for us because my son had taught himself most of the concepts for those two years and I was just going through the levels making sure he had mastered everything.

I seem to spend a lot on second hand books which I wouldn't if our library was better. Its tiny and because the local schools are allowed to skim off anything they want to borrow on a long term loan it ends up being pretty dreadful in the non fiction section. I tend to find that most of the book recommendations don't exist within our library system either.

Our local Oxfam bookstore has been really useful too. It always surprises me what ends up in that shop, I buy books I think we will use as I see them even if they are not immediately relevant.

I have got into e books and bought a cheaper to run printer. It does duplex so saves me paper and is cheap on ink, the same as a laser. I also bought a thermal binder really cheap to bind the books I download and want to get comb binder. I am trying really hard to make everything reusable for my son (assuming he gets on with the same things) but this isn't going to happen 100%. I will need to re buy a few consumable things for him.

I am trying to download audiobooks rather than buy the version on audio cds as they are cheaper but think I need to invest in another MP3 player really.

I think that trying to save money in the long run often means a big investment in the short term. I think this last year has been more expensive that it will be for the next few years, just buying in the basics. Hopefully I can be more frugal from now.

The others have given great advice. It takes me just a few minutes to periodically walk over to the used bookstore after dropping the DC off for martial arts, and there's an excellent homeschool consignment store in the town where our co-op is. She will set aside things for me to look at if I call ahead, and I've found books there that normally are at least $50 even on the used market for $10 or less. That takes me only a few minutes on the way home.

I also don't look for perfection, and ask first if some of the problem is me versus the curriculum. I can make a lot of things work if I want to, and there are a lot of expensive curriculum choices (i.e. TOG, AG, etc.) that have reasonable alternatives. I always cringe when someone says, well I'm going to try it because it's only $20. I truly do not have that kind of money to spend on something that I'm not 100% convinced of. "Just" $20 is a year of math for one kid in our house.

And I sell or swap almost everything that we're not using.

I do all the things mentioned~library, used curriculum sales, internet, page protectors and my beloved white board (ds prefers this to paper)

Two big things that led to savings for us

Join yahoo groups of the curriculum you are interested in. Lots of good used deals there. I got Rightstart B&C and manipulatives very inexpensively this way.

Google books~ I've been creating our LA, grammar and copywork from lots of these classics. I don't usually print things out. I read to dc or have them read from the computer screen.

If I didn't have RS I'd use MEP.

This does require a lot of time in research though. I think you have to strike a balance between time and money.

Guest RecumbentHeart
1. Page protectors. I have books that I bought for my oldest that all 4 of my kids have used because I took them apart and put them in page protectors. It isn't a violation of copyright, so you can do that with any workbook that isn't copyable.

I'm glad to hear someone else does this. I had been wondering if it would violate copyright since I first started looking at curriculum and only recently figured out that it didn't. It's an especially desirable option to me for the earliest grades when I'm not even sure if a child is going to want or benefit from a workbook or may just end up covering it in chicken scratch. :tongue_smilie:

A couple of places I haven't seen mentioned yet: Freecycle and Craigslist

You'd be surprised what people will offer up for you if you post a wanted note on Freecycle. (I always read the wanted posts and try to accomodate any I can, so I know there are people out there that do this!)

Also, it seems people spend a huge amount of money on math in the early years, however, children pick up basic math skills exceptionally well from real life and the living math approach. Plus it can be a whole lot more fun, especially for kids that aren't enjoying a workbook math approach. Playing games, baking, talking about math as it occurs around us... great stuff, and it's free! :D

Edited by MelanieM

Some frugal things: MEP, OPGTR, LIBRARY, buying second hand. I also was blessed for awhile to have some friends whose kids are 3+ years ahead of mine so they passed down SOTW to me and some Abeka and Saxon. They have since moved but I stick to my 1st 4 frugal musts! :)

HWT was also cheap - I made the cardboard curves & lines and I only buy the Kindergarten book off of Amazon. After that, we use FLL for handwriting practice. Lots of WTM suggestions are great for being frugal. OPG, FLL, their science program for grammar stage (mainly use library books)...that's all I got :)

Just because of our 1 income lifestyle, we have to be frugal about everything, including school books. I am not cheap. I get what I want, but I do my best to find it the lowest price that I can. Ways that I have done it:

*** Look for used books. I have found T.M.s that I needed at our friends of the library sale. We have a Half Price Books store that sells used. I frequent it when I can and check the education section every time. The kids love a bookstore as much as the library, so it is no big deal to drop in when we pass it and have a few min.

*** Shop used online. I heart Amazon for this. I have never found a great deal on Ebay yet, but I check it too.

*** We do Science the WTM way, buying the encyclopedias used when I can and using library books for the extras.

*** I found it cheaper to take my SOTW to the printer and have it unbound and copied and 3 hole punched there than copying pages as I went at home, even if I didn't use all of the student pages that I got from them. I spent $7 at Kinko's for the year as opposed to ink cartridges every 2 months the year before.

*** Go to convention to shop and get free shipping. I found this year, that I could work at the convention and earn back my admission fee. So basically I went for free, attended workshops, got free shipping on the things I needed new, and then worked the 2nd day.

*** Know the sales. I buy R&S during their 50% off seconds sale and during the 15% off text sales. If I need something that I haven't been able to find used, I shop at the bookstores 20% off sales.

*** I have email alerts from the teacher supply stores and book stores. So I have found days like free laminating day at bookstores, and go to those to laminate my homemade posters.

So I am not a free hser, but I am frugal because I have to be. It is just ongoing. I watch during the year for finds for the next year and then I have a whole lot less to buy come the beginning of a new year.

Lots of great ideas in this thread!

I also recommend looking at Freely Educate dot com. They have loads of useful printouts.

I am looking into getting a more efficient printer. I think my brothe-in-law has a laser one stashes somewhere that he may loan to me.

I try to buy as little as possible, and in such a way that things can be reused. I've been drolling over the workbook editions of Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons from Living Books Curriculum, but am second-guessing that since I can get the hardbound of both (reusable) cheaper than the workbooks all together.

I do buy a LOT second hand here on the boards. I got Saxon Math 5/4 for under $20 for ds, and the TMs for Saxon 2 and 3 for dd for $15. I still have to buy the workbooks for her, but they're around $16 at Rainbow Resource.

I recently decided against a history "program" for next year. My kids really want to learn about medieval history, so I've been putting together a booklist using A Book in Time, which also has links to projects and more. I can use the library almost exclusively for this. I do have a couple of Middle Ages activity books on hand too.

Websites like Enchanted Learning can be useful too. I was lucky this year and someone here linked to Amity Mamas, who do a group membership each year, so I think I spent like $2 for a year's membership. I also like Learning Page dot com for great printouts.

As far as manipulatives for math, I tend to use a lot of what we have on hand. Beans (dried) make great counters. Legos double as linking cubes. Wooden blocks are great too!

I try to use teacher discounts wherever possible. Bookstores, the crafting store, etc. Sometimes they have teacher appreciation days where they give stuff away!

I loved, and highly recommend, the book Homeschool Your Child for Free.

It is a trade off, you end up spending time or money, usually both. I have more time than money, but I also have to prioritize. This summer I am having our fifth child. Next year I will have a 3 year old, a kindergartner, a 3rd grader and 4th grader.

I basically planned out my 3rd and 4h graders year using LCC, WTM, and various free online CM sources, and we combine topics whenever possible. But I decided to go with a boxed curriculum for Kindergarten for my 6 year old to help save my time and sanity. I found an MP kindergarten set that was barely used for 1/2 price on the message boards. An entire year of lesson plans and all the books I need for $120 was well worth it for me, and I justified this expense because I am using so many free and inexpensive resources for my older children. It also frees up quite a bit of planning time.

For US history I am using booklists from CM sites such as Mater Amabilis and AO along with the schedule from Elizabeh Foss and the local library.

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/2008/07/along-the-histo.html

All the "living books" I need for this unit are in my library, I reserve books from the library online, all I have to do is pick them up. This saves a lot of time for me. I also found a few of the "spine" books second hand on ebay for less than $2.00 a piece.

I have found lots of insane deals on Ebay. I got three of the LoF books for $20.00 all together, and all the Singapore Math workbooks I will need for all three kids for $30.00. That includes six workbooks in three different levels all together. I am using the online version of MEP math as a supplement. I also purchased a complete Latin Christiana set including the flashcards and DVDs for $20.00.

I also love Google books. We are currently reading "Grammar Land" and I am using Harvey's Grammar this year from the version on google books. I also found a workbook version online for free from another homeschooler that I am going to print out at Kinko's. Printing and binding is usually not that expensive, I spent $6.00 to have Don Potter's version of Websters Speller printed and bound this way. On google books, I also found a copy of Ray's arithmetic I use as a supplement as well.

I am also using the online version of "Famous Men of Greece" from www.mainlesson.com for classical studies. I got the greenleaf guide from ebay for $4.00, and I am also going to use www.librivox.org for a break from reading aloud. They have free audio files for tons of great public domain books.

For nature study, we are using he online version of Nature Study by Anna Comstock on google.books and the Outdoor Hour Challenges

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/2008/02/green-hour-challenge-1-lets-get-started.html

I have also been able to find many books on www.paperbackswap.com. I have ordered most of my Singapore Math textbooks from this site, and I have seen plenty of Abeka books and Saxon materials on here as well. Of course, they have tons of picture books and children's lit as well. I have also found HWT materials here.

Although all this scouring of the internet, looking for deals and creating lesson plans does take time, to me the savings are worth it. I recently looked into ordering LBC for the etire year for all three of my kids. I love the looks of this program. But it would have cost me will over $1500 for everything, and I still would need to buy the Latin and religion resources I need. My budget for books and supplies this year for three kids is $350. I will use the savings to try to pay for more field trips and fun actvities, as well as piano lessons and guitar lessons.

Lots and lots (and lots!) of library books form the basis of our curriculum.

And I'm lucky because I get 300 pages a week of free printing on my college campus. Even with printing stuff for my daughter and my own school work, I don't even get CLOSE to that!

Used curriculum, coupons for workbooks that I really want.

Hm. I guess that's it. :D

-Look for a local copier at the mailbox places. The one next to my house offers a bulk discount. The last time I made copies they were 3 cents apiece and then he gave me a 10% discount on top of that.

-sheet protectors. I don't let my children write in workbooks except in very primary years.

-Lots of library books. I am able to reserve books ahead of time and use inter-library loan. Sometimes they don't come in at the right time...but free is always good.

-definitely find a nearby hs convention. Free shipping on new stuff and they usually have a used sale.

-make a friend that has children similar in curriculum/ages but maybe a grade ahead. I've been able to trade math, health and art that way.

-I have done the thriftshop thing....but it is hard to go in and look with all the children and not come out with something that wasn't on the list.:glare:

-used curriculum sites. It is way easier for me to check them at off times and keeps us out of stores.

-split orders with other close by families. We always get free shipping from Rainbow and split it with other companies. This really helps when you need 1 paperback book but odering alone doubles the price by the time the fees and s/h are added.

one other idea-

we have an amazon visa card. we use it for all purchases that take visa. we earn at least $25 per month and redeem it for amazon bucks that I use to buy... what else? BOOKS! Gotta love it. I can use them on marketplace sellers' books or amazon items.

copies are 3 cents for us at office depot with our homeschool group card but i use a laser printer often.

i agree about ambleside and mep. we are loving librivox! garage sales are my friend and i have just started posting items on paperback swap. if i buy it for a quarter at a yard sale and ship it for $2 but then get a book I really want, that works for me!

I also used to buy extras at yard sales of books i have already but know are classics and would sell them on amazon. I made a lot of money this way and used it to pay for sonlight curriculum used.

plan ahead so you can watch curriculum boards for deals on items you will need for the next year. starting early helps.

That could very easily be. Her kids (well, 1 in particular) are VERY smart! Every year they are in the newspaper winning something or another! This year is was the 5th grader once and the 7th grader 3x :001_smile:

We have a homeschool association yahoo group here where we can post any needed materials. People will generally respond to a need or to let someone borrow a book for a while. The thing I really wish we could organize, would be a lending library for homeschoolers. I would do this myself, but we are renters and we are planning to go to even smaller place than we are in now. :)

Which means I must throughly cull....yikes!!

For me, I think the best avenue to saving money on homeschool curriculum is being flexible about what I will use. I do not get tied down to wanting a particular curriculum, so I leave myself open to taking advantage of any deals I may find.

In my area, I attend three used homeschool book sales each year. They take place in May and early June. There are always super good prices on the items at these sales. So, maybe I find a great deal on Abeka History for $3.00. I buy it and use Abeka for history, and then tweak it if I need to. Of course, I do frequently find things I was hoping to use at the sales. I found Jump In writing for $4.00 and the TE of Around the WOrld in 180 Days for about $5.00.

A friend was kind enough to loan me Saxon Math with a DIVE CD. We have never used Saxon before, but since the opportunity presented itself, we are gladly accepting. :) So far, so good. Dd has gotten through lesson 8. Ask me again around Christmas and it might be a different story.:tongue_smilie:

6. We refill our printer cartridges instead of going new. Hasn't been a problem yet.

How much cheaper is this than buying new? We spend about 60-80 every time we buy a new set.

We refill for less than $20 each time. Saves a lot as it adds up. And like I said, no problems yet!