Menu

How old is your child and what was the last book he/she read?

Interesting to see all the different books being read!!

DS5 just read a few Magic School Bus books and for a series he's reading Secrets of Droon - I can't keep track of which ones he's read lately

DD4 rereads her lvl 1/2 books constantly but her new read is Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink - she only had trouble with 3 words I was amazed!

ACK! Secrets of Droon! My boys always want to choose those as read alouds, and after suffering through two of them out loud, I told them those would have to be ones they read to themselves. I can't take the horrible writing any longer! :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat thread...

10 yr dd is finishing up The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordian (sp?) - she's not very happy with it because I don't think she is open to enjoying anything as much as she did the Percy Jackson series

8 yr dd Ribsy by Beverly Cleary

Neat thread...

10 yr dd is finishing up The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordian (sp?) - she's not very happy with it because I don't think she is open to enjoying anything as much as she did the Percy Jackson series

8 yr dd Ribsy by Beverly Cleary

Ds10 had the same review of The Red Pyramid. He didn't like it either and he said it just "wasn't the same" as Percy Jackson. LOL

Ds10 had the same review of The Red Pyramid. He didn't like it either and he said it just "wasn't the same" as Percy Jackson. LOL

I think I will read it next and find out if its true or if she just isn't ready to like something new. I do find it funny that she is so stuck on the other series and have tried to explain that its ok to like other stories.:tongue_smilie:

Since this thread is still going on, I'll update. :)

Today DD the Elder, 8, read The Girl Who Could Fly. She said it was good while reading, but not much there... so a definite "Meh." :001_smile:

Edited by nmoira

DD5 just started reading the Paddington Bear series. Also, we have about 30 Magic Tree House books borrowed from the library and all of them have been read this month...half way (huh?). Same thing with Harry Potter books, skipping around from book to book. She gave me a wink today because she knows Ron's rat is not just a rat, so she must have skipped from Book 2 to Book 6. She must have gotten that from me because I like reading the end first (very, very bad habit).

Edited by crazyforlatin
Remembered more books

7yo son, just finished Ralph S. Mouse, now reading Henry Huggins

5yo daughter, read today four "Noodles" books & The Little Red Hen (golden book)

5yo nephew, not reading yet

3yo daughter, not reading yet

We're doing Trumpet of the Swan as the bedtime read-aloud for all four of them.

Let's see...

older dd:

1. Just today, finished the third Fablehaven book.
  2. Near the end of The Witch of Blackbird Pond
  3. Yesterday, finished the Sign of the Beaver
  4. in the middle of Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark

I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

younger dd:

1. finishing the 4th or 5th in the How to Train Your Dragon series
  2. in the middle of the Elizabeth's Diary series
  3. just finished the Pocahontas book by the d'Aulaires

And, again, I'm sure there are books I'm forgetting about. They sort of inhale books lately. Even the "boring" ones. :lol:

12 yo DD finished yesterday "The Old Man and the Sea"; the only one in our family to actually like Hemingway.

I saw 13 yo DD these days reading a collection of Hesse's short stories and rereading Camus' "The Stranger", though the last thing I know she told me she had finished, a few days ago, was Bruckner's "The Day of the Bomb".

Edited by Ester Maria

My 10dd just finished From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Frank E Basilheimer. I think that is the title. She's also finishing up the last Little House series of books, and more "fun" stuff this summer. She plays on Tootsville and really types fast now because the kids chat with each other....so reading took a backseat. Gonna have to limit her online time now!

Oldest, 18yod, Love, Sex & Marriage - that is close to the title, it is by a Christian author, I think I got it at Rainbow and she took it off my desk (which is fine with me) I saw it on her nightstand

15.5yod, Lord of the Rings for pleasure, Jane Eyre was recently assigned and finished

13yod, The Hobbit or she is reading Mandie books constantly

10yo boy, something like 30 Third Graders and 1 Bunny - my library book - he read it first, he keeps reading funny excerpts to me (you all need ot read this book - very funny - by someone named Done, ______ Done, a teacher.

7yo boy, The Call of the Wild

lisaj

8 months, "Where is My Baby" board book. Amazingly, he wasn't reading it in English, either! :D

The right way or upside down ;)? My eldest would read a book, and then turn it upside down on purpose to read it again that way. She didn't like it if I tried to put the book back the right way, either. She might have been older than 8 months, though by then. It's been so long it's hard to remember.

How did I miss this one? :001_huh:

Ds11 - Flies That Catch Trout and How to Fish Them (no idea the author)

Mahatma Gandhi: The Father of Modern India by Simon Adams

Dd11 - The General (The Cherub Series) by Robert Muchamore

Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice) by John Flannagan

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

My son is 12 and is on summer break, so not required to do any reading right now. However, he has a few books he didn't finish up before the school year ended that he's still working on when we go places in the car. He just handed me a graphic novel about Queen Elizabeth that he finished today....

All of my children except the pre-reader have just read or are finishing up the same book. They're twelve, nine and seven years old, and I'm pretty sure their twenty-three-year-old brother and sister-in-law have read or are reading it or will be reading it soon. It's an advance review copy of The Candymakers by Wendy Mass. It's pretty Wonka-esque from what they've told me, but I am made to understand that the plot is twisted and complicated.