Menu

I listed my fave educational iPad & iPhone/Touch apps...

that I just discovered recently since buying our new iPad. These apps are free, except ArtPuzzle, which is a bargain for $1.99 -- & my big splurge is Sketchbook Pro at $7.99. My older dc use that app a lot but the little girls enjoy it also. I also wrote about this in my blog.

I'd love to hear what others are finding out there. My little girls wake up early and do flashcards for 'fun' so I can't complain.:001_smile:

Pandora Radio: I set about 10 classic music stations based on my fave composers. I play the music in the house and in the car.

ArtPuzzle HD: Classic paintings by famous artists. The girls study the picture and then press the screen to scramble the picture. They spend the next 5 - 10 minutes rearranging the pieces to put the picture back together. Beautiful iPad app.

FlashToPass: Math facts flashcards. The girls love this.

Stanza: Free audio books. Right now they're listening to Aesop's Fables in bed.

Planets: Shows the earth in 'real' time. Gorgeous visual of our planet. It does a lot that I haven't even looked into yet.

USA Presidents: Flashcards, pictures, info

ABC Phonics: Different activities with letter sounds, words & sentences

Sketchbook Pro: Doodling, drawing, etc.

Netflix: I watched Taming Of The Shrew this weekend. Gorgeous color. The girls watched Liberty Kids. So many great movies to choose from.

My next splurge will be Art Authority for $9.99.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

that I just discovered recently since buying our new iPad. These apps are free, except ArtPuzzle, which is a bargain for $1.99 -- & my big splurge is Sketchbook Pro at $7.99. My older dc use that app a lot but the little girls enjoy it also. I also wrote about this in my blog.

I'd love to hear what others are finding out there. My little girls wake up early and do flashcards for 'fun' so I can't complain.:001_smile:

Pandora Radio: I set about 10 classic music stations based on my fave composers. I play the music in the house and in the car.

ArtPuzzle HD: Classic paintings by famous artists. The girls study the picture and then press the screen to scramble the picture. They spend the next 5 - 10 minutes rearranging the pieces to put the picture back together. Beautiful iPad app.

FlashToPass: Math facts flashcards. The girls love this.

Stanza: Free audio books. Right now they're listening to Aesop's Fables in bed.

Planets: Shows the earth in 'real' time. Gorgeous visual of our planet. It does a lot that I haven't even looked into yet.

USA Presidents: Flashcards, pictures, info

ABC Phonics: Different activities with letter sounds, words & sentences

Sketchbook Pro: Doodling, drawing, etc.

Netflix: I watched Taming Of The Shrew this weekend. Gorgeous color. The girls watched Liberty Kids. So many great movies to choose from.

My next splurge will be Art Authority for $9.99.

Thanks for these....are some of these for IPad only? My ds10 has an Itouch...I'm always interested in finding good apps for him...free is even better.

This was very helpful, thanks!

My faves are GrocerEaze and 2Do. I bought the full version of 2Do, I loved it that much! OnThisDay is another good one, as well as Classics2Go. Dictionary is helpful, and Mad Libs are fun. CountriesLE is full of facts about all the countries, very educational, as is Translator. CraftFinder is helpful.

We love the elements!

I do not have scrabble...it might be dangerous.

For phonics, I like "abc pocket phonics.". (it also has handwriting, cursive and print. Print works well on either, cursive only on the iPad, it is just too tiny on the screen for anyone with perfectionist tendencies. A non perfectionist child might do fine with cursive on the smaller devices.)

History maps was cool for the price(free!)

I love my Kindle app. I have Stanza as well.

Notebrainer is great for learning musical note names.

TuneORama is what we use to tune the violins and the cello.

Spelling Bee was fun while dd was doing spelling bees.

Ds likes Rush Hour and The Harbor.

I love my Kindle app. I have Stanza as well.

Notebrainer is great for learning musical note names.

TuneORama is what we use to tune the violins and the cello.

Spelling Bee was fun while dd was doing spelling bees.

Ds likes Rush Hour and The Harbor.

Thank you, Sarah! I added those!

AND I finally splurged and bought Scrabble. :)

Thanks for posting these.

Here are our caves so far

Starwalk: so cool for star gazing and great for apologia astronomy

Solar walk: wonderful 3D tour of solar system with facts and extra photos of each planet and their moons.... See them rotating and spinning unreal time, or speed up time to see them go faster

Pinturas- free app with tons of famous paintings.

Tales2go- *lots and lots of childrens audio books, organized by age, subject, etc

iBird yard- field guide to north American birds. Includes photos, drawings and sounds

Bananagrams- so addictive, but great word game

iTick- metronome for piano practice

clock master- game for teaching how to tell time

find sums- find numbers that add up to 10 or whatever number you set it for.

RushHour- popular logical thinking game to rearrange cars so the red car can get out of the traffic jam

arithmaroo- quick thinking counting game that helps develop number sense

Math tour - math facts game that gets you to solve problems quickly to reveal photos from all over the world.

123 Writing - nice app for the perk crowd for tracing numbers

Checkers

123 color HD - color by number or letter... Very popular with my 3 year olds. *

alphabet tracing- trace the letters with your finger. Fun stuff for the preK ones.

• 6 months later...
Wow, thank you for listing those. I am treating myself to an iPad when I hit my goal weight (7 lbs to go). I am excited to see all the great things it offers!

How Brilliant. May I copycat your idea? I need a reward to hang over my head. I have already set a goal for April (and when I'll be eligible for a phone upgrade) and LOVE the idea of earning my phone if I do well instead of just getting it "just because". LOVE IT!. Congratulations by the way for having 7 pounds to go. That is awesome!

I was looking at phones online the other day and I'm interested in the Android phones rather than the i-phones. Not sure just why? But it's still all confusing to me. Are these apps available for the Android phones also? I need to learn more.

I'm so behind the times....I JUST learned about Kindle, Nook, and I-Touch in the last two months! And I still don't know much. Only that they exist and seem similar. Talk about being 'out of touch' with the tech world!

Which ABC Phonics do you use? There seem to be several options. ABC PocketPhonics, ABC Phonics Animals, ABC Alphabet Phonics....

These lists are great! I'm going to be playing with them for sure! I have No Fear Shakespeare for the iPod and I LOVE IT. They've reduced the price to $.99 with one play and you can get the entire set of plays for $24.99. Fabulous!

• 5 weeks later...
Which ABC Phonics do you use? There seem to be several options. ABC PocketPhonics, ABC Phonics Animals, ABC Alphabet Phonics....

These lists are great! I'm going to be playing with them for sure! I have No Fear Shakespeare for the iPod and I LOVE IT. They've reduced the price to $.99 with one play and you can get the entire set of plays for $24.99. Fabulous!

I like ABC pocket phonics.

• 2 weeks later...