Menu

Photo of Shrubs that Neighbors Hacked......

I haven't said a thing yet because I'm not sure I understand... I guess we're just different.

Over here, neighbours cut each other's shrubbery all the time. When it needs a trim, we take turn. .

Re the bolded part - you see, this is where disagreements lie.

Some people like a 4 foot hedge, some people like a 12 foot hedge.

I'm in the 12 foot camp btw. What someone considers 'requires a trim' is to me a hedge in progress, which I've been nursing along & trimming with little scissors to promote bushiness but all the while letting it grow b/e I WANT a tall hedge. I'm all about privacy & secret gardens. At the best times of the year I cannot see any homes from my suburban back yard. :D

Someone hacked at some cedars on my property & we're still in the 'stunned' phase & haven't talked to the neighbours to find out who did it & to not do it again please. At least they didn't go for height, they went for width but they did a pretty bad hack job of it too..... :glare: It's not as bad as Mariann's but I'm still ticked.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her response was: 'B/c they have NO TRESPASSING signs on their property. You'll get arrested!'

She's nosy AND she lies! :D OH! The irony of it all!:tongue_smilie:

:lol: Your husband should have yelled back over the hedge, "No, because she vandalized our property and we now have a restraining order!" Wonder how she would have liked knowing that YOU can now see what SHE is doing?

We just had our trees hacked down by the utility company. We knew it was our year, and all, but ... the emptiness is just shocking. No idea they'd go that extreme. It's horrible to have that open un-privacy when you really like all the greenery, shade, and privacy. Sigh. Hoping it grows back soon, or we can find a new plant that suits us AND them soon.

A dinner cooked on the beautiful new brick-red AGA stove (that you are thinking of moving away from)???

Bill (who could get used to a view of the road for a while)

:001_huh: Well, no, actually, dinner was cooked by dh on the grill. And, while dh says we are definitely moving, he is aware that wherever we go, we have to get another AGA -- I stare at it -- I LOVE it. :001_wub::001_wub: I hate that I LOVe it, but I LOVE it! And, the sub-zero! I LOVE that, too! BUT, I'd already had one of those, so I knew I would love it....that AGA, well, it's NEW LOVE! We are still on our honeymoon!:D

So, I tell dh that yes, we are moving....after two of the bathrooms have been re-done - probably a year. In the meantime, I am loving my kitchen more and more.

:lol: Your husband should have yelled back over the hedge, "No, because she vandalized our property and we now have a restraining order!" Wonder how she would have liked knowing that YOU can now see what SHE is doing?

Now THAT is funny. My dh would never do that.......I would do it, but he wouldn't!:lol::lol::lol:

Wow, shocking is it.

I still think they need to look everyday at the the charming toliet planter I found. :D

Nope, no one touches my plants here either, they are important to me and I absolutely would take as much action as you did, (maybe more if possible) to 'provide' consequences for their actions. It looks as though they will think next time before putting their hands on another person's property. Love it!

Well, we are getting ready to rip out two bathrooms so perhaps we could do the planters like bookends!!!!! THAT photo you sent last time was hysterical!:lol::lol::lol:

:001_huh: Well, no, actually, dinner was cooked by dh on the grill. And, while dh says we are definitely moving, he is aware that wherever we go, we have to get another AGA -- I stare at it -- I LOVE it. :001_wub::001_wub: I hate that I LOVe it, but I LOVE it! And, the sub-zero! I LOVE that, too! BUT, I'd already had one of those, so I knew I would love it....that AGA, well, it's NEW LOVE! We are still on our honeymoon!:D

So, I tell dh that yes, we are moving....after two of the bathrooms have been re-done - probably a year. In the meantime, I am loving my kitchen more and more.

I'd say y'all are nuts, but if you can afford to outfit all your homes with AGAs, then I'd have to say y'all are eccentric :D

Bill

I'd say y'all are nuts, but if you can afford to outfit all your homes with AGAs, then I'd have to say y'all are eccentric :D

Bill

You sound like my mom, now.:glare: I'm enjoying my kitchen........I'm not thinking about moving. And, btw, I'm eccentric........he's :willy_nilly:.

Why are you completely redoing your house to move in a depressed market?

a

In our county in northern Virginia, homes like ours in move-in condition are selling in 3-5 days - and some with bidding wars. If we decide to move, great, the house is ready to go......if we are not moving, the house will be the way we want it.

Right now, there is actually lack of inventory particularly in the town where we live as far as homes on the market.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I'm sorry but I have to say that I am soooooo glad to live out in the country. We can yell, mow, cut brush, blast our music, and let our dogs run without even thinking twice about neighbors.

If someone came on my property and cut anything, we would have major issues.

I'm sorry but I have to say that I am soooooo glad to live out in the country. We can yell, mow, cut brush, blast our music, and let our dogs run without even thinking twice about neighbors.

If someone came on my property and cut anything, we would have major issues.

I hear you!:)

I just really can't believe that people would have the nerve to do that.... Oh, no, wait. I can believe it.

Wow.

Nope, I keep looking at those little sticks poking out of the ground, and I really can NOT imagine the audacity....

Good for you, for not rolling over on it.

• 7 months later...
This "topic" got brought up on another thread.... and I was wondering....

Did you ever get your fence put up?

Kris, who is being totally nosey and hopes you don't mind

:lol::lol::lol: Nope - not yet. The shrubs have pretty much completely grown back. We have been spending every spare $$$$ and every spare minute re-doing the interior.

OOHHHHH!!!! Don't your neighbors just love that? Do you still have a restraining order against them?

Heavens -- YES!!!!! DH and I definitely think they are a sandwich short of a picnic and we don't want them to think they have access without consequences to our property.

And, she is a loon! At the end of the summer, dh was on travel and I was bringing the trash can up our driveway from the curb. Mr. Scissorhands was doing something to their pool filter and she was standing there watching him -- that happens to be the side of the property where we keep the trash can.......their side. So, I'm wheeling the trash can to its 'home,' and I hear her say to him in a regular voice (rather than perhaps speaking softly so I won't hear her) 'He left. He must have left. She would never take in the garbage can if he was there.'

I think the woman is certifiable. I mean, really :glare:, it's a TRASH can, NOT a GARBAGE can!:lol::lol::lol:

You always crack me up.

Thank you! :grouphug: Truly, that means alot to me -- for me, laughter is indeed the best medicine..........but starting tomorrow, I will be filling in the gaps with Cymbalta (fingers crossed).

Could someone please translate this for the uninitiated? :bigear:

I think that perhaps LL accidentally omitted the word 'want' or the words 'want to see' -- that is the only way it makes sense to me.:001_huh:

Mr. Scissorhands was doing something to their pool filter and she was standing there watching him -- that happens to be the side of the property where we keep the trash can.......their side. So, I'm wheeling the trash can to its 'home,' and I hear her say to him in a regular voice (rather than perhaps speaking softly so I won't hear her) 'He left. He must have left. She would never take in the garbage can if he was there.'

I think the woman is certifiable. I mean, really :glare:, it's a TRASH can, NOT a GARBAGE can!:lol::lol::lol:

She is a loon. But this does not prove it. I use the two words interchangeably too. Put it in the trash. put it in the garbage. They are synonyms.

I was just thinking about this story the other day. Did they reimburse you for the hauling-off costs?

We would have to take them to small claims court -- to be honest with you, dh just does not have the time. OTOH, they are probably waiting to be served with THAT notice, but truly, we don't have the time.

Heavens -- YES!!!!! DH and I definitely think they are a sandwich short of a picnic and we don't want them to think they have access without consequences to our property.

And, she is a loon! At the end of the summer, dh was on travel and I was bringing the trash can up our driveway from the curb. Mr. Scissorhands was doing something to their pool filter and she was standing there watching him -- that happens to be the side of the property where we keep the trash can.......their side. So, I'm wheeling the trash can to its 'home,' and I hear her say to him in a regular voice (rather than perhaps speaking softly so I won't hear her) 'He left. He must have left. She would never take in the garbage can if he was there.'

:smilielol5:

Thank you! :grouphug: Truly, that means alot to me -- for me, laughter is indeed the best medicine..........but starting tomorrow, I will be filling in the gaps with Cymbalta (fingers crossed).

:grouphug:

I'll pray it helps :001_smile:

Never called a trash can here. It is a garbage can. (Though I would realize it as a synonym if someone were to call it a trash can.) Must be regional. :yesnod:

A couple years ago, our town issued new garbage cans to everyone in town. They are the kind that get picked up by the garbage truck so the men don't have to left the cans anymore.

All the new info from our town referred to these HUGE garbage "recepticles" as TOTES.

Now DH calls the garbage can the TOTE.

It makes my stomach hurt. This thing is sooooooo big you could put a body in it. It is not a TOTE. "Stop calling it a TOTE! A tote is something you can pick up and carry yourself."

And until the town issued the totes :ack2: there were 2 trucks that came around. One picked up garbage; the other picked up trash.

Interchangeable here too. Maybe a regional thing?

Synonyms here too. I was puzzling over that statement myself. Must be regional. My 2 yo calls it a 'jarbage chan'. I will miss that one when it stops :)

Never called a trash can here. It is a garbage can. (Though I would realize it as a synonym if someone were to call it a trash can.) Must be regional. :yesnod:

A couple years ago, our town issued new garbage cans to everyone in town. They are the kind that get picked up by the garbage truck so the men don't have to left the cans anymore.

All the new info from our town referred to these HUGE garbage "recepticles" as TOTES.

Now DH calls the garbage can the TOTE.

It makes my stomach hurt. This thing is sooooooo big you could put a body in it. It is not a TOTE. "Stop calling it a TOTE! A tote is something you can pick up and carry yourself."

And until the town issued the totes :ack2: there were 2 trucks that came around. One picked up garbage; the other picked up trash.

Ummmm, I was making a joke (apparently not a very good one) about 'garbage' can and 'trash' can. My point was WHAT the heck business was it of hers if my dh was at home or not -- that is all. So many things don't come across well when written as opposed to speaking IRL, kwim?:001_huh:

I call the large green thing that stays outside the garbage can, and the one in the kitchen, I call the trash can.

I LOVE (not really) TOTE!!!!! I am going to use it here for a week or two and see what kind of reaction it gets.:D

And, I agree - I thought that 'tote' meant something that could be carried easily and was, by nature of the word, not heavy.:001_huh:

Ummmm, I was making a joke (apparently not a very good one) about 'garbage' can and 'trash' can. My point was WHAT the heck business was it of hers if my dh was at home or not -- that is all. So many things don't come across well when written as opposed to speaking IRL, kwim?:001_huh:

I call the large green thing that stays outside the garbage can, and the one in the kitchen, I call the trash can.

I LOVE (not really) TOTE!!!!! I am going to use it here for a week or two and see what kind of reaction it gets.:D

And, I agree - I thought that 'tote' meant something that could be carried easily and was, by nature of the word, not heavy.:001_huh:

Oh, I get the joke! :lol:

It was funny!

They're both rubbish bins. The one in the sitting room is a waste paper basket.

Laura

'Rubbish' -- I like that. :001_smile: I typically use the word 'rubbish' to comment on something that I think is, well, rubbish. But I think I will try that one for the 'refuse' as well.

Thank you!:)

I think that perhaps LL accidentally omitted the word 'want' or the words 'want to see' -- that is the only way it makes sense to me.:001_huh:

Yes. Spellcheck doesn't pick up omitted words. Farking spellcheck.

They're both rubbish bins. The one in the sitting room is a waste paper basket.

Laura

:seeya: My oldest daughter has been listening to so many British audiobooks lately that she emerges from the bedroom in the morning saying, "Spit-spot. Pip-pip. Cheerio!"

:lol: She wants to be Mary Poppins.

'Rubbish' -- I like that. :001_smile: I typically use the word 'rubbish' to comment on something that I think is, well, rubbish. But I think I will try that one for the 'refuse' as well.

Thank you!:)

My husband likes to snottily say, "Put that in the waste receptacle."

:tongue_smilie:

:seeya: My oldest daughter has been listening to so many British audiobooks lately that she emerges from the bedroom in the morning saying, "Spit-spot. Pip-pip. Cheerio!"

:lol: She wants to be Mary Poppins.

One of mine likes say jumper when talking about a pullover sweater. Doesn't care if folks get it or not.

I think the woman is certifiable. I mean, really :glare:, it's a TRASH can, NOT a GARBAGE can!:lol::lol:

Sounds to me like she thought your dh had left you. Not just out of town.

It's dark.

I'll do it tomorrow. I will try to do it when Mrs. Scissorhands is outside cleaning her car windows (I kid you not) so it will freak her out that I am taking photos.:w00t:

:lol::lol:

I didn't see your original post so I just finally caught this thread today. I can totally relate because at our previous house our neighbor was a couple of cards short of a full deck.

We had an easement through his yard that was essentially a dirt path that went to our house. Our house had lake frontage at the bottom of a hill, his house was directly behind our house but above it (i.e. there was a six foot retaining wall at the back of our yard to keep his front yard from falling into our back yard) and our parking was on the street behind his house.

We were going to brick the path to make it safer in the winter time to walk on since the hill was kind of steep. Out of courtesy, we asked him if he was okay with it and told him when the work would start. He said okay and we paid the brick layer guy. When the brick layer went to start later in the week, he changed his mind and threatened to call the police every time he attempted to work after that.

Instead we had the path asphalted one day when the neighbor was at work (we ended up having the brick layer do some other landscaping in the yard for the money we paid him). The neighbor ripped it out and tossed all the asphalt in our back yard. Also during this time he actually spray painted a line where the easement was all the way from the back of his property to the front of ours and down the front of our stone retaining wall on the lake! Next came the 6+ foot tall chain link fence that he erected down the entire length of the easement and filled in with those hideous fuzzy green things for privacy. Then, my husband's brand new F150 got keyed. Of course, he denied being involved to the police. It was pretty upsetting because every time he did something we would call the police and they would tell us it was a civil matter and they couldn't do anything --- until the vandalism of the truck, but we couldn't prove it was him.

We ended up filing a civil suit against him after we spent WAY too much money getting a survey done to prove we were right. We had to give the lawyer a $2K retainer, which at the time seemed cheap because his antics stopped once we filed the suit (other than staring down at us menacingly every time we were in our backyard). Normally, I'm pretty thick skinned about stuff, but my husband had a police officer friend run a background check on him and at one point the neighbor had been charged with assault with a deadly weapon because he tried to run a guy he worked with down with a dump truck! The charge was dropped, but needless to say, that didn't make me feel very comfortable.

At least your neighbors seem like they're staying out of your way for the most part. I was SO HAPPY when my husband got a transfer for work and we had to sell the house. I miss the lake, but we have nice NORMAL neighbors now and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Sounds to me like she thought your dh had left you. Not just out of town.

Exactly -- that was my point -- she's a loon. B/c you and I both know that IF he LEFT (and I don't mean being on travel), I'd drag his sorry behind back here and he could bring in his own 'waste receptacle,' 'rubbish container,' 'tote,' or whatever we want to call it..........rest assured, though, I am NOT bringing it in!:lol::lol::lol:

I didn't see your original post so I just finally caught this thread today. I can totally relate because at our previous house our neighbor was a couple of cards short of a full deck.

We had an easement through his yard that was essentially a dirt path that went to our house. Our house had lake frontage at the bottom of a hill, his house was directly behind our house but above it (i.e. there was a six foot retaining wall at the back of our yard to keep his front yard from falling into our back yard) and our parking was on the street behind his house.

We were going to brick the path to make it safer in the winter time to walk on since the hill was kind of steep. Out of courtesy, we asked him if he was okay with it and told him when the work would start. He said okay and we paid the brick layer guy. When the brick layer went to start later in the week, he changed his mind and threatened to call the police every time he attempted to work after that.

Instead we had the path asphalted one day when the neighbor was at work (we ended up having the brick layer do some other landscaping in the yard for the money we paid him). The neighbor ripped it out and tossed all the asphalt in our back yard. Also during this time he actually spray painted a line where the easement was all the way from the back of his property to the front of ours and down the front of our stone retaining wall on the lake! Next came the 6+ foot tall chain link fence that he erected down the entire length of the easement and filled in with those hideous fuzzy green things for privacy. Then, my husband's brand new F150 got keyed. Of course, he denied being involved to the police. It was pretty upsetting because every time he did something we would call the police and they would tell us it was a civil matter and they couldn't do anything --- until the vandalism of the truck, but we couldn't prove it was him.

We ended up filing a civil suit against him after we spent WAY too much money getting a survey done to prove we were right. We had to give the lawyer a $2K retainer, which at the time seemed cheap because his antics stopped once we filed the suit (other than staring down at us menacingly every time we were in our backyard). Normally, I'm pretty thick skinned about stuff, but my husband had a police officer friend run a background check on him and at one point the neighbor had been charged with assault with a deadly weapon because he tried to run a guy he worked with down with a dump truck! The charge was dropped, but needless to say, that didn't make me feel very comfortable.

At least your neighbors seem like they're staying out of your way for the most part. I was SO HAPPY when my husband got a transfer for work and we had to sell the house. I miss the lake, but we have nice NORMAL neighbors now and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

OMH!!!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t: That definitely tops my story!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t: