Menu

What would you charge for a few hours babysitting?

I think babysitting prices vary quite a bit depending on your location. But I will say that here in MI, my dsd babysits pairs of her cousins (so just two at a time), and gets paid about $8/hr; which I've been informed is the going rate around here. So your $10/hr for watching three seems about right to me.

Oh, yeah. $10 is a bargain. I paid over $20 for babysitters through a nanny service and routinely $7-$10 for teens to come and sit with my two boys (who are very quiet, for boys).

And it's been several years since I've used a sitter, so those rates are even old. :)

Guess that shows you how out of it I am!! I have used our older two kids for a long time, so I haven't paid any babysitters....

I did daycare about 12 years ago, and I was just thinking of what I would charge in this kind of situation. I simply could not come to a price that felt right to me. Wow, moms have to pay a lot, huh? Thanks all of you, I no longer feel like I am taking advantage of this mom! ;)

I pay my neighbors' teens $8 for my two. $10 for three sounds about right to me. Also, what level of interaction do you have with them? If you are heavily involved with them, perhaps more than $10 (say $12) might be appropriate. But $10, not excessive.

10 bucks for 3 is cheapo! You should feel NO GUILT. My goodness. I can't even tell you what I pay per hour to watch my 2 kids around here... almost twice as much. Not that I do it often. I'm kind of weird about leaving my kids... even with someone really nice. But 10 bucks an hour for trustworthy care? Deal of the decade.