Menu

Was that supposed to be a joke?

DH and I just got back from seeing the movie The Back-Up Plan...a romantic comedy. At one point in the movie, there was a woman breastfeeding a child (from the angle, you cannot really tell how old the child is). Someone asked her how old her baby was....the "baby" unlatches, turns around, and says "I'm three!" At which point the movie theater audience groaned and laughed....and I'm pretty sure I even heard a few "ewww's" as well.

Was this supposed to be a joke? Is America really in such a sad state that a woman cannot breastfeed her child without it being seen as weird and gross? And to make fun of it in a movie?

If people in other countries see this portion of the movie, will they have the same reaction? Or just here in America?

And yes, I'm currently nursing my own well-loved, well-adjusted, totally normal three year old.

I did not know it was common for women to bf through the toddler years until I came on here. I thought it was just a few women. It doesn't surprise me that the audience would give that response, or that the writers would've used it as a joke. It seems, from what I have gathered here, to be a pretty common practice, but I've never seen a child over one being bfed in public, so I imagine the public (here anyway) is still in the dark.

:grouphug:

Sorry you found yourself the butt of a joke........ if you know what I mean.

I'd never heard tell of "extended nursing" [or whatever terms people like] until i started frequenting homeschooling forums, as it happens...

Movies make fun of many things ~ I doubt that it was really meant as a personal stab at anyone. :)

My last one wasn't weaned until she was three and a half and she argued with me about it. I finally told her that the breast didn't work anymore and the milk was all gone. She said, "I don't believe you, let me see!"

I do think that the general public is uncomfortable with toddlers nursing.

Movies make fun of many things ~ I doubt that it was really meant as a personal stab at anyone. :)

I didn't mean that. Of course, I can't think how to put it now... :lol:

It's just rough to find something you believe in is the butt of a joke... ugh, if that makes any sense.

Personally, as a mother that breastfed for her child's, I think there is a time when public nursing should stop.

I wouldn't attempt to tell anyone when to stop nursing their child, nor would I try to say nursing in public isn't appropriate. But when mom is carrying around Cherrios and a sippy cup in the diaper bag, it might be time to consider nursing your child in private.

(Dd weaned herself at a year, and I walked around the mall, Wal-mart while nursing. I would have nursed longer but she wasn't interested.)

She said, "I don't believe you, let me see!"

:D And...were you caught in a lie?

I am sure there are a lot of people who are totally unfamiliar with the concept of nursing past a few months. I personally did not enjoy it as much, perhaps because I did not enjoy nursing in public and always felt we needed to run home for this.

I did not know it was common for women to bf through the toddler years until I came on here.QUOTE]

Common? I've never known, in all my 48 years, a single woman to breastfeed past 1 1/2 to 2 years. Never. If they are doing it, they are not talking about it in the circles I am in. I honestly don't think it is common here at all, and among the people I know it would definately be considered quite.....um.....odd.

(I breastfed all four of mine, the longest was for 18 months)

Personally, as a mother that breastfed for her child's, I think there is a time when public nursing should stop.

Perhaps that's why not many people are aware of the growing group of long term bfers? You just don't see it, whereas you can glimpse moms with blankets and babies all over the place.

The longest I breastfed one of mine was 2 1/2 and you should have heard some of the comments I got when it was time to nurse. :glare: I had 1 person actually have the nerve to ask me if that was still legal at 2 1/2 :cursing:

I'm sure they thought they were doing the right thing. Not that it was, but...

I did not know it was common for women to bf through the toddler years until I came on here.

Common? I've never known, in all my 48 years, a single woman to breastfeed past 1 1/2 to 2 years. Never. If they are doing it, they are not talking about it in the circles I am in. I honestly don't think it is common here at all, and among the people I know it would definately be considered quite.....um.....odd.

(I breastfed all four of mine, the longest was for 18 months)

:lol: Well it's common on here. Or else it seems really common...

I wouldn't attempt to tell anyone when to stop nursing their child, nor would I try to say nursing in public isn't appropriate. But when mom is carrying around Cherrios and a sippy cup in the diaper bag, it might be time to consider nursing your child in private.

Why? What creates a need for more privacy based on the age of the baby?

I do, however, believe that as a child grows and matures, "on demand" nursing should decrease. I nursed all 3 of mine for years, not months.

I have been around a variety of crunchy/natural types and have made an observation. The nursing relationship seems to have assumed immunity. Even after infancy, it seems to some moms that a child can't ask "too much". I disagree. I've seen many nurisng relationships that are permissive and where the child is too old to not be able to have a playdate at McDondonalds without nursing.

:D And...were you caught in a lie?

I am sure there are a lot of people who are totally unfamiliar with the concept of nursing past a few months. I personally did not enjoy it as much, perhaps because I did not enjoy nursing in public and always felt we needed to run home for this.

No, I didn't resort to that line until everything else had failed and I was ready to put my foot down and quit cold turkey. So I didn't let her try. Then she tried hitting up her 16 year old sister. She was not happy to hear that her's didn't work either. :tongue_smilie: My grandson is about 18 months old and he will fondle gm or aunts if mom's not available. I don't think he is going to give it up easily either.

I nursed my youngest til almost 5 but the last 2 years were mostly at bedtime and if she hurt herself and needed comfort. I don't regret a second of it and miss it still. She is a totally normal, well adjusted kid. :)

It was so wonderful for me because my oldest wouldn't nurse. We spent 3 months trying and it was hell and my heart was broken.

I got raised eyebrows sometimes from my family but she weaned herself in her own good time.

Anything that's "out of the ordinary" gets "picked on" in mainstream movies. While that doesn't make it RIGHT, it's standard, and extended breastfeeding is still rather "out of the ordinary". If it wasn't, it wouldn't be called *extended breastfeeding. ;)

I just had a visit with my midwife, where she happily remarked that my bf'ing ds for 11 months was "a long time". Not that I think she's opposed to bf'ing for 3+ years, but it definitely isn't common with her patients (despite having 75-85% of their patients EBF newborns and offering bf'ing classes).

I think that a lot of folks still don't realize that people used to routinely nurse until closer to age 5. I think in their mind if a child is old enough to talk, then they should be drinking from a cup - coke, no doubt, as the whole world seems to have soft drinks from breakfast onward.... I think they just don't get it......

That would've bothered me too.

When I first had my baby, I was going to nurse for a year. That's what was considered ideal - right? Then, as he neared one, I realized that nursing was SO much more than just food. For all my kids, nursing is a HUGE emotional thing. I couldn't see weaning him just because he hit age one. So, just because he was eating cheerios and drinking from a sippy cup, sometimes nursing provided him with more than just food.

Now, at a certain age (it's different for each child), we talked about how many people don't understand that older children nurse. We could nurse in private, but not in public.

My 4 yo is still nursing. And, she's a completely well-adjusted, outgoing child. And, we don't do it in public anymore. But, I do find it a shame that we feel we can't.

I saw the movie and I thought the child was a lot older until she said her age. I thought the joke was anti-breastfeeding too but I agree with others who said that extended breatfeeding is known as odd to the general public in North America. I think this is still coming from that generation for whom formula was more common than breastfeeding. I agree that in other countries they will not find this funny.

I think that a lot of folks still don't realize that people used to routinely nurse until closer to age 5. I think in their mind if a child is old enough to talk, then they should be drinking from a cup - coke, no doubt, as the whole world seems to have soft drinks from breakfast onward.... I think they just don't get it......

Not necessarily. Just because a person didn't consider extended bfing doesn't mean they know nothing about healthy living ;)

Barbara Walters On national television stated she sat next to a mom breastfeeding her baby on a plane and it was gross. This was a few years ago. It was a very disrespectful comment to make. I think it is odd how women only breastfeed for 3 to 6 months, and don't make a commitment to stick it out. My kids lost interest at about 18 months. Also we delayed solid food. Mother's milk is all a baby needs until it's first birthday. Everyone parents differently. I think it is sad people want to shun babies doing what is the most natural thing in the world taking milk from their mothers.

:iagree:

LOL. My almost three year old wanted to know if his (early developed) eleven year old sister could provide him with milk. Ack! He also argues with me about breastfeeding. I inform him that he will need to stop soon but he doesn’t want to hear it.

My oldest son weaned at two and a half, my girls were 13 and 18 months. I nursed for awhile while pregnant, but then stopped fearing I would harm my unborn child. (misinformation)

I guess I am going for three and a half with this last child. :D

Wow, didn't expect to come back to a 3 page thread LOL. :D It's good to see some toddler nursing mamas.

We no longer nurse in public either. I've never been too much of a public nurser....I'm just not that coordinated LOL. But if there was not a fitting room around, then I'd take a out-of-the-way spot to nurse my kids when they were infants and young toddlers. But now my 3 year old is nursing for emotional reasons as opposed to nutritional ones, so if she asks to nurse in public (which is very rare), then I just tell her that we only drink milk at home since she's a big girl. And she is fine with that.

When DD#1 was just over a year old, I had to go to the doctor because I was sick. I saw a nurse practitioner. I explained that I was still nursing so she needed to double check to see if the medication is okay for nursing mothers. After asking how old my baby was and hearing my reply of 13 months, the NP looked at me (you seriously cannot make these things up) and said "I thought that your milk dried up after the baby turns a year old." :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh: I made sure that I never saw that NP again and left that practice shortly after.