Menu

Easter menu??

My dh insists on lamb...so we're having leg of lamb (local! from Colorado), prepared a la the Nero Wolfe cookbook. A couple of our guests don't care for lamb and are bringing a ham...lol. And no, I'm not offended, I want everyone to be happy. To go with, potato gratin, rolls, and a vegetable. Not sure if it will be asparagus or just a salad. Dessert is key lime pie. I haven't decided on appetizers yet...maybe feta and olives, maybe just crudite, maybe nothing. We will be stuffed with candy, after all!

This is the recipe for the potato gratin--not health food, but easy to do (you have to start a few days ahead to make your own creme fraiche, but it's really easy, I promise), and sooooo delicious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Gratin-with-Gruyere-and-Creme-Fraiche-107310

I'd love a tried and true, easy, tender white dinner roll recipe!

Leg of lamb preferred; rack acceptable

Roasted potatoes with lamb gravy

Salad with vinaigrette

Asparagus

Possible chocolate pie

Scheduled activities:

Going to church, possibly more than once

Possible Easter breakfast at church

Eating too much at a really nicely set table

Planting a fruit tree in our yard (I need to pick the tree!)

Going out somewhere to wild nature

Admiring our irises (not this year; Easter is early and spring is late so they won't bloom for at least 3 weeks)

We're having ham as usual, but I'm trying to get to Wholefoods to make sure it's uncured.

Mashed potatoes, homemade rolls and not sure of the rest. Better figure it out soon. :)

I had Easter yesterday and had a Whole Foods uncured ham and it was so good! I don't even like ham, but my dad wanted it, so I agreed. They're wood smoked, juicy and not salty (but $6.99 a pound.) Worth every penny.

So, we had appetizers, ham, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, salad, and bread. For dessert I was lucky enough to get my SIL to make streudels (6 of them!), so we cut one up and ate it, along with homemade chocolate cupcakes and little cake slices from Caputo's.

I'm still eating that ham (it was 9.32 lbs!), but that's OK.

Edited by cdrumm4448

Ours is a bit strange this year. We'll be having two different kinds of soup, potatoe chowder and turkey/rice, plus salad, sandwiches, and fruit. Though I normally serve a big fanfare for the extended family and on good china too, we are eating on paper plates and such.

This is because we are all taking a swamp hike in the south woods to see the geese nesting, watch the tree frogs, and hopefully sight some wood ducks. After that, we'll head to the nature reserve and watch the swans.

We all have had a very stressful year and felt like having a relaxed afternoon without so much planning, cooking, and clean-up.

Faith

By the final service of the day, Dh will have directed and/or served in 18 services this Holy week... so I told him I would make whatever he wants for our Easter meal:001_smile:. It is looking like I may be baking a turkey or grilling steaks (his two favorite meals)... or maybe both! Then, we both plan to crash for two weeks with the kids... we're thinking of maybe taking a road trip, but I'm not sure he will be up to it, so we may just "stay-cation". I'm so looking forward to this week being over!!! Christmas and Easter seasons are always more joyful for us once they are over with:tongue_smilie:.

Mine is very traditional:

Ham (I love having ham leftovers and making soup with the bone)

Chantilly Potatoes

Asparagus

Coleslaw

Rolls (maybe homemade if I get ambitious)

And whatever my sister brings for dessert

I had Easter yesterday and had a Whole Foods uncured ham and it was so good! I don't even like ham, but my dad wanted it, so I agreed. They're wood smoked, juicy and not salty (but $6.99 a pound.) Worth every penny.

So, we had appetizers, ham, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, salad, and bread. For dessert I was lucky enough to get my SIL to make streudels (6 of them!), so we cut one up and ate it, along with homemade chocolate cupcakes and little cake slices from Caputo's.

I'm still eating that ham (it was 9.32 lbs!), but that's OK.

GREAT! Do you remember what brand it was? Was it the Wellshire Farms brand? thanks!

By the final service of the day, Dh will have directed and/or served in 18 services this Holy week... so I told him I would make whatever he wants for our Easter meal:001_smile:. It is looking like I may be baking a turkey or grilling steaks (his two favorite meals)... or maybe both! Then, we both plan to crash for two weeks with the kids... we're thinking of maybe taking a road trip, but I'm not sure he will be up to it, so we may just "stay-cation". I'm so looking forward to this week being over!!! Christmas and Easter seasons are always more joyful for us once they are over with:tongue_smilie:.

:grouphug:

I was raised in a church where Easter Sunday was pretty much like every other Sunday, outside of a special choir number or two. Palm Sunday wasn't even mentioned. No non-Sunday Holy Week services.

I love the special services for Holy Week (and the Christmas Eve service), but I tend to feel a bit guilty when I think of my pastor.

We're going to have my MIL go to church with us and then come back here for lunch. She likes to have the large meal of the day at noon, so I am trying to figure out how I can keep it all warming while we are at church. I'm thinking I will make a ham and some maple sweet potatoes that I can keep warming in the oven while we are gone, and use the crock pot to keep some fresh green beans warm too. Then I will make a nice chilled pear/pineapple salad to go with it. Not sure but a Lemon Merangue pie sounds good for dessert.

Mmmmmmmm...love ham leftovers!!

Not totally sure yet, so I'm :lurk5:

I know we'll have:

ham

turkey breast

sweet potatoes with marshmallows

Southern smashed potatoes

green beans or some other green veggie

salad or fruit salad - maybe spinach/mandarin oranges?

corn bread or rolls of some type

bunny-shaped cake

chocolate dessert of some type

pie or cheesecake?

We make shoslick--

Leg of lamb cut into chunks and marinated in Italian dressing overnight, then grilled on skewers. Combine with other grilled, skewered veggies--onion, green/red/yellow peppers, and mushrooms, and two separate skewers--one of cherry tomatoes and one of garlic. We usually make about 6 skewers of veggies, not including the tomatoes and garlic.

Mix all together in a big bowl and serve over rice.

MMmmmmm!

GREAT! Do you remember what brand it was? Was it the Wellshire Farms brand? thanks!

Yes, it was the Wellshire Farms brand. That's the only brand of ham I saw there. They had spiral as well as uncut. I always get the uncut as the spiral dries out faster. They also had small Virginia hams as well as other buffet hams.

Years ago I came up with a soup that I think is especially nice at Easter.

I *gasp* at calling it Cream of Purple Cauliflower Soup. It is pretty simple. Cook purple cauliflower (very gently) in milk until soft along with some garlic, butter and salt. Don't boil. Cook till tender (half-hour?. Puree.

Serve with a dollop of youghurt, crème fraîche, or labne and a dill garnish.

The purple of the cabbage takes on a very pretty pastel color when purred with the milk. It is a very "Easter-Egg" looking color, and is quite Spring-like.

Bill

I'm intrigued by the thought of making lamb. Where would I get it? Will the regular grocery store have it, or would Whole Foods, or an ethnic grocer? Would having ham and lamb be odd? :D

Our Safeway has it, but sometimes the other big stores don't. You can order, too. Be aware this is the only way I like lamb--roasted with mint jelly is NOT the way for me to go! lol

(My dad grew up in England and frequently had roasted lamb--when he ate Shoslick at our house, he thought it was beef!)

This is why we go OUT on Easter!!!! After a week of not seeing my dh, we all need time off from cooking and dishes and all. We'll all eat whatever the heck we feel like eating!!!!

Years ago I came up with a soup that I think is especially nice at Easter.

I *gasp* at calling it Cream of Purple Cauliflower Soup. It is pretty simple. Cook purple cauliflower (very gently) in milk until soft along with some garlic, butter and salt. Don't boil. Cook till tender (half-hour?. Puree.

Serve with a dollop of youghurt, crème fraîche, or labne and a dill garnish.

The purple of the cabbage takes on a very pretty pastel color when purred with the milk. It is a very "Easter-Egg" looking color, and is quite Spring-like.

Bill

Yum!!! This is a regular dinner here. But, I've never made it with purple cauliflower. Sounds delicious and pretty!!

We usually have ham and cream cheese potatoes (yum!) along with whatever side dishes - sweet potatoes, corn, applesauce, cranberry sauce, rolls, whatever :)

This year my MIL is coming and she wants above PLUS an organic roasted chicken, asparagus, and I'm not sure what else. Sounds like lots of cooking to me! At least the chicken can go in the crockpot and ham is easy!!

Yum!!! This is a regular dinner here. But, I've never made it with purple cauliflower. Sounds delicious and pretty!!

Really easy too. And I'll tell you the color is so fantastic that it looks really "fancy" and even the non-veggie eaters seem to go for it.

It's a winner.

Bill

Guest Katia

Can I say that the thought of what to fix for Easter Dinner had not even been on my radar until I read this thread? I'm having trouble realizing that it is actually going to be Easter.......sigh.