Menu

If you could go on a trip in the US (near water or a beach) where would you pick?

Come to the Seattle area and enjoy the beautiful waters of the Puget Sound! There would be lots of great places to stay on/near the water (Google the San Juan Islands for one) -- and you can take ferry rides to different locations as well. I love the ferry!

Pacific Northwest Coast; Washington, Oregon, Northern Cal. Hands down. Beautiful weather, but just a tad too cold to swim...hmm...guess you'll have to stay in. :)

We're planning our trip in May......should be a bit warmer by then.

Any SPECIFIC places to stay in these areas?

I second the Florida Keys, but not Key West. :001_smile: If you want clear, blue water a la Caribbean, the Keys is as close as you can get in the contiguous 48 states. On the other side of the state is Sanibel Island. Again, very quiet and secluded. The island has successfully kept fast food restaurants, big supermarkets and big box stores from the island. Just lots of home-grown restaurants and great little shops. Great fishing, excellent shelling, beautiful sunsets.

HTH,

Lisa

I see that you're in Texas, so this might be too far for you, but Mackinaw Island Michigan is amazing! There are no vehicles (aside from emergency personnel) allowed on the island. It's like it's frozen in time. Beautiful scenery, quiet, historical, great hiking and biking and the fudge it so die for!

we went to Florida last year and stayed on Okaloosa Island in Fort Walton Beach, which is about 15 minutes west of Destin. It has the same blue water showed in the picture above. We stayed at the El Matador gated condo complex. It is the last condo complex on the island, then there are 17 miles of clear beach. The complex will not rent to anyone under 25, so it was very quiet. We loved it and are considering going back late September, early October.

I have always enjoyed the Hilton Head area of S Carolina. Better if you can find less traveled areas, although that is difficult these days. If you want guaranteed sun, don't come north. I for one, love Maine, Martha's Vineyard etc., bit weather is always a crap shoot. Maybe early August or late July is OK, but you never know. How hot do you like the air or water?

I have always enjoyed the Hilton Head area of S Carolina. Better if you can find less traveled areas, although that is difficult these days. If you want guaranteed sun, don't come north. I for one, love Maine, Martha's Vineyard etc., bit weather is always a crap shoot. Maybe early August or late July is OK, but you never know. How hot do you like the air or water?

I grew up in SC and LOVE Hilton Head. One of my favorite places- But San Destin is so much prettier!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Catalina Island in California yet. When I was a teen we took the ferry over and I swore I would have my honeymoon there. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and had the bluest water I've ever seen, which is saying something. I grew up in California and spent every summer on the beach in North Carolina. I just adore it. I didn't get to spend my honeymoon there though. That was spent camping in the mountains of Colorado. Stupid money...

Oops, meant to add a link

http://catalinaislandcacoc.weblinkconnect.com/cwt/External/WCPagesNew/accommodations/?SubCategoryID=1003&CategoryID=1003&activity=Bed+and+Breakfast&AdKeyword=Bed+and+Breakfast

Edited by TengoFive
added B&B link

Unless you go to the right areas, West Palm can be downright scary. It has a lot of crime and I honestly don't feel comfortable driving around most areas there. If you can find the right area, it might not be so bad, but we never found it, lol. Even my friend who has always lived there says that about it.

Thanks for the heads up! What about Ft. Lauderdale area?

Thanks for the heads up! What about Ft. Lauderdale area?

Sorry about the Antigua post--I see now you want USA.

We used to live in Ft. Lauderdale. It is not a pretty beach, the water is not really blue, it's not quiet (although Hollywood Beach is ok), there's tons of crime...

John U. Lloyd State Park is nice, but there isn't much nearby as accomodations to redeem the area.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Catalina Island in California yet. When I was a teen we took the ferry over and I swore I would have my honeymoon there. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and had the bluest water I've ever seen, which is saying something. I grew up in California and spent every summer on the beach in North Carolina. I just adore it. I didn't get to spend my honeymoon there though. That was spent camping in the mountains of Colorado. Stupid money...

Oops, meant to add a link

http://catalinaislandcacoc.weblinkconnect.com/cwt/External/WCPagesNew/accommodations/?SubCategoryID=1003&CategoryID=1003&activity=Bed+and+Breakfast&AdKeyword=Bed+and+Breakfast

I used to live on Catalina!!!!Love it, but a very different sort of place...pm me if you want specifics as to where to stay, when to go, etc. You don't want to go there in July or August...unless you like crowds and noise.

Just wondering what my options are. I'm thinking a Bed & Breakfast or a beach house on a beach or water. Any suggestions? Want quiet, romantic, relaxing and secluded.

ETA: This would be WITHOUT the kids. =)

I think Seattle or the Olympic Peninsula are great places.

Since a few other people mentioned Yachats, Oregon, my favorite hotel in the whole world is there: the Overleaf Lodge. Every single room has an unobstructed view of the ocean. The sunsets are crazy, and the tidepooling is the best ever. People come from miles around to walk the path that is right outside your hotel door. Very romantic.

But if you actually want to swim in the ocean and not just look at the sunset, my favorite place is Hapuna Beach on the big island (Hawai'i). The only hotel right there at the beach is the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel (I'm close with that name). It is just okay. But what makes it special (and the reason I tolerate its mediocrity) is that you can snorkel or bodysurf before breakfast if you are staying at the hotel, hours before the first beachgoers show up! Again, not a great hotel (and the food is overpriced like 99 percent of Hawaii resorts), but oh man that beach..... and the views are to die for. If you stay at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, you are entitled to visit the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel as much as you like. There is a shuttle bus between them, or you can walk along the cliffs. The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is crazy expensive, and there's no other way I would get to visit if I didn't get privileges by staying at its "sister" hotel. If you stay there, I would eat at a nearby town. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the nearby town but there are a few good restaurants there, and they are much better value than the resorts.

ETA: The restaurant I was thinking of is actually on Kauai, so that would be too far, LOL! On the big island, our favorite restaurant was Roy's at Waikoloa (sp). We went there three times during one vacation. And I know you aren't bringing children, but for those who will, Roy's has a multi-course dinner just for kids, which begins with free quesadillas while the adults are still mulling over the menu! Excellent for hungry, tired sunburned kids who have been at the pool all day. And for the adults, there is to-die-for chocoloate souffle and excellent seafood. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hawaiithebigisland/D34858.html

Have fun choosing!

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly