Menu

When does a toddlers grazing go from acceptable to overeating?

Tap

DD3 (adopted) genetically will most likely battle weight issues her entire life. She is 'big boned' and weighs 40lbs at 3.25 yo. She wears a size 5 cloths and while she is proportionate, I can't always buy her pants because they don't button in the front. She has a bit of a belly but I would not consider her 'overweight' (nor does her dr.). She eats healthy, but is a grazer as most toddlers are. My older kids are rail thin so I never limited their food intake and while I am not inclined to do that for her at this point, I wonder how to identify when to food is too much.

These past 3 weeks she has been wanting to eat constantly. At first I chalked it up to a growth spurt and let her eat all she wanted. But we are now on week 3 of this and I wonder if the eating is becoming a habit instead of a nutritional need. This morning in 2.5 hrs she has eaten a child size portion of Kix cereal (no sugar), a bowl of oatmeal(teaspoon of sugar), a cup of no sugar added applesauce, and a few Annies Bunnie crackers. I realize that most of this is carbs and she will have a protein based lunch, but that doesn't really affect her eating. She will continue this way throughout the day. To drink she has had water and rice milk.

I have never had to watch what my older kids ate so this is a new concept to me. How and when do you start watching/limiting what a child eats? We are not a 'clean your plate' type family, but we don't like to see waste either, and encourage kids to take small portions and then ask for extra. We never force or require the kids to eat.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I would probably encourage more of the grazing to be on fresh fruits and veggies after breakfast. Think high-fiber, relatively low-calorie. At that age kids are generally good at regulating quantity, as long as we regulate quality. My DD is only allowed one small bowl of breakfast cereal a day, but then usually also eats whatever I eat for breakfast as well. Was the oatmeal steel cut, rolled, or instant? The former is the best for helping feel full, higher in fiber, etc. It takes a while to cook, so I usually make a big batch once a week and then reheat individual portions.

As long as you watch her sugar intake and encourage her to eat lots of fruits and veggies and a wide variety of foods, she should be fine. It's the kid with her metabolism who eats fruit loops for breakfast, then a bowl of sugar-added instant oatmeal, then hfcs-added applesauce, drinks soda and kool-aid all day, and had some cheetos for the next snack, then will probably eat processed chicken nuggets and fries for lunch, etc. that is on the road to trouble. (And plenty of people actually do feed their kids that way!)

Where does she fall on the growth charts? if her weight is near her height in the percentiles, she's probably fine (ex: if she's in the 50th percentile for height, and the 60th for weight, it's okay, but if she's in the 20th percentile for height and the 75th for weight, it's worrisome). If the pediatrician isn't worried, you shouldn't be either, as long as you keep feeding her a healthy quality diet.

After a small bowl of non-sugar cereal, offer her a serving of fruit. I would also only one serving of carbs at a meal that is not refined coupled with a serving of protein and veggies and/or fruit. My ds loves carbs and asks for second and third servings and I have found it helpful to offer instead veggies or fruit.

Some carbs have a tendency to make you more hungry or too many. For example, strawberries, peaches, apples, blueberries are better choices than bananas. Whole wheat bread is better than white. Oatmeal is better than Trix cereal.

I would say that it looks like what my son could eat.... Just make sure she has some good running outside. I'd think it's important to balance her activity level.... and It doesn't look like a crazy amount of food. If anything, I'd say nix the cereal for breakfast. Give the oatmeal and protein for breakfast... and a snack of the bunnies or whatever for snack with fruit. My daughter was always pudgy when younger.... (even when completely nursed) and did the skinny tall... short pudgy thing while growing up.... Now that she's 11.5 she's taller than me... and thinnesh... with a bit of a pooch belly... (but not unhealthy) The only think I need to do more.. is kick her outside of some fresh air and exercise. She also does ballet and jazz each week.

:-)

This is such a difficult situation. I did have to limit youngest dd's intake because many, many times she'd eat until she threw up. The drs said she'd outgrow this, but it will still happen if I allow it. I hate to limit her intake and it makes me feel like a bad mom because I don't know if she's experiencing a growth spurt or not. All my bio kids are rail thin, too, and oldest dd is way thin, to the point the dr. at Boston Children's questioned her diet. That kid eats and eats and eats but doesn't gain any tummy, just grows taller and taller. At age 10 she can still fit into toddler clothing around her tummy. So youngest sees all the other kids eating all they want and limiting her intake makes me feel horrible. I tell her that I don't want her to get sick. And sometimes she does feel sick from overeating, and I feel like I fail her when I do this, too. Sometimes I let her take it overboard and she won't stop on her own so I'll say, "Olivia, I don't want you to get sick so I'm going to stop you here." It's a tough one, and I speak to the pediatrician every year. I'm not going to this year, I never hear anything helpful. I guess I'm just trying to relieve my feelings of guilt.

I don't know what to say. All the advice out there is to let the child eat all they want, they will eventually shut off. Mine didn't. Have you tried that?

Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure your dd has a protein and fat at each meal, grazing on fruit and veggies in between with some raw nuts and seeds, which are PACKED w/nutrients and the fats will help carry her.

Oldest dd's height is in the 95th percentile and weight is in the 45th percentile, and she eats more than my dh. Youngest dd's height is in the 50th percentile, weight in the 95th percentile. Youngest dd tells me she's fat all the time and I tell her, "NO! You're NOT fat! You're built differently than your sister!" To which she'll usually say she's probably built like her birthmom.

:crying::crying::crying:

I recommend ellyn satter's "how to get your child to eat but not too much."

She is a feeding therapist and we have found great success with our kids using her method. My 3yo is like your dd and we imagine similar issues in the future. We find that when we cut back on treats and processed carbs like crackers etc then their eating improves.

Ellyn Satter's division of food responsibility is fabulous:

ELLYN SATTERĂ¢â‚¬â„¢S DIVISION OF RESPONSIBILITY IN FEEDING

Parents provide structure, support and opportunities. Children choose how much and whether to eat from what the parents provide.

The Division of Responsibility for Infants:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The parent is responsible for what

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The child is responsible for how much (and everything else)

The parent helps the infant to be calm and organized and feeds smoothly, paying attention to information coming from the baby about timing, tempo, frequency and amounts.

The Division of Responsibility for Toddlers through Adolescents

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The parent is responsible for what, when, where

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The child is responsible for how much and whether

ParentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Feeding Jobs:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Choose and prepare the food

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Provide regular meals and snacks

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Make eating times pleasant

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Show children what they have to learn about food and mealtime behavior

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Not let children graze for food or beverages between meal and snack times

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Let children grow up to get bodies that are right for them

Fundamental to parentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ jobs is trusting children to decide how much and whether to eat. If parents do their jobs with feeding, children will do their jobs with eating:

ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Eating Jobs:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Children will eat

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ They will eat the amount they need

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ They will learn to eat the food their parents eat

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ They will grow predictably

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ They will learn to behave well at the table

© 2007 Ellyn Satter. For a further explanation of the division of responsibility, see any of Ellyn Satter's four books; Your ChildĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Weight: Helping Without Harming, Child of Mine: Feeding With Love and Good Sense, Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family, or How To Get Your Kid To Eat... But Not Too Much. May be reproduced for free distribution only. May not be modified in any way. Credit and further information lines must appear on each copy. For information on Ellyn SatterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s materials and programs, see http://www.EllynSatter.com or call 800-808-7976.

http://www.ellynsatter.com/showArticle.jsp?id=399

limiting to 3 meals a day plus a snack. Then don't limit her at those times. Mainly, b/c I'm lazy and don't want to clean the kitchen more than I have to, I only let my kids 4 times a day - meals and an afternoon snack. I let them eat as much as they want at meal time (only 1 serving of dessert, though). I do limit them some at snack time (i.e. just 1 bowl of pretzels), otherwise they won't eat a good dinner.

Summer

ds6, ds4, ds3, ds2mo

I agree about changing the breakfast. We switched to oatmeal (steel cut or slow cook) and blueberries or a handful of walnuts and blueberries at our house and everyone stays full longer.

I would also allow unlimited snacks of fruits and vegetables only. Cut up carrot sticks, celery, zucchini sticks, etc...

If you can frame it as a whole family effort to eat healthier rather than make it about here, that would be even better.

We have set snack times and meals in between they can have specified snacks. It varies but we have apples,carrot sticks,celery,oranges etc.. all healthy. Usually my kids fill up at meal time because that is where the "yummiest" food is. All but one of my kids are high on the chart height wise and all are 50% for weight. We try to make sure we spend at least 2 hours a day outside which gives them a good appetite for dinner.

Thanks everyone....a little more details about our eating habits.

Fruit is a hard one. I actually have to limit it because she is drawn to sweet things and will eat only fruit if I let her. I often use that to my advantage by making her fruit smoothies (hand picked frozen fruit from my freezer) with yogurt or soy powder to add some protein. She eats frozen blueberries like they are ice cream. I keep a steady supply of strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits in season available but do have to limit her to two servings of fruit a day. I like to offer a protein with fruit if I can like peanut butter with apples/celery or unsweetened plain yogurt with the fresh fruit or homemade jam stirred in. She has a dairy allergy so I buy her goat cheese, soy yogurt and rice/almond milk. If I buy juice it is only 100% juice and usually not-from-concentrate. A glass of juice is seen as a serving of fruit in our house. Most times, fruit is also our dessert. We allow a small amount of candy/cookies but it is very limited.

She does like fresh veggies like broccoli trees, carrot sticks, tomatoes and eats those for snacks as well.

We do eat steel cut oats, only very high quality wholegrain bread, use ww flour in my own cooking and limit white flour/white pasta/white rice. We greatly limit sugar in any form.

We do allow her a serving of cereal a day because she will turn around and eat our breakfast too. Right now she is eating Kashi waffles (high in protein) with fresh blueberries...her 3rd breakfast as I slept in and am just now eating.

She is a good eater, and eats full meals with us. He snacking doesn't limit her meals, nor do her meals limit her snacking.

When their stomach pokes out and they tell you, "My body hurts." after eating, you know they overate. I explained to my daughter that I wanted her to eat until she was satified, not stuffed and hurting. I had a few talks with her, and once she understood, she didn't overeat anymore. I know it sounds too simple to be true, but it's worth you trying.

Oh yeah, I found that my daughter was cranky-hungry by 8:00a.m. and would want to snack a whole lot if she had airy, puffy cereal first thing in the morning. It was better to give her something heartier, even if it was something not breakfasty, like a cheese sandwich or leftover chicken.

When she was younger, she was really hungry as soon as she woke up. Now she is almost 5 and can wait until everybody's breakfast is ready.

She sounds alot like my middle child. He was a chunky child until he was about 4.5. He ate all the time until that time. We tried to get him to eat some sort of meat at breakfast to help him not be hungry. We also pushed water which helps them feel full longer. Once she becomes more active with sports and running around more with the older kids (once she can keep up), then she will likely slim down. I have noticed that my middle child is the least active child, and it is hard to get him to go outside and run around.

I agree with what many others have said about including protein with breakfast and offering veggies at any time in any amount. You details look like you serve wonderful quality foods.

So, what about fats? Children that age do need to have some healthy fats in their diets, don't they? Small amounts, I've read, but at least some. I remember reading that the proper amount of healthy fats can be very satisfying and stop binge eating. You'd have to research and decide what you might need to add, but consider it. Some cheese or cottage cheese, maybe? I am no dietitian, but I know this holds true for me as a grown up!

Second, I have two kids that want to eat when they are bored. I can tell by the way they are cruising around before ending up in the kitchen. They are at a great, healthy weight, and we have talked about the difference between eating when hungry and eating when they're just looking for something to do. Perhaps noting what she's doing when/just before she comes back for more to eat would give you a clue about her motivation for eating. That said, if she really does want to eat, I'd let her, just provide some healthy choices.

DD3 (adopted) genetically will most likely battle weight issues her entire life. She is 'big boned' and weighs 40lbs at 3.25 yo. She wears a size 5 cloths and while she is proportionate, I can't always buy her pants because they don't button in the front. She has a bit of a belly but I would not consider her 'overweight' (nor does her dr.). She eats healthy, but is a grazer as most toddlers are. My older kids are rail thin so I never limited their food intake and while I am not inclined to do that for her at this point, I wonder how to identify when to food is too much.

These past 3 weeks she has been wanting to eat constantly. At first I chalked it up to a growth spurt and let her eat all she wanted. But we are now on week 3 of this and I wonder if the eating is becoming a habit instead of a nutritional need. This morning in 2.5 hrs she has eaten a child size portion of Kix cereal (no sugar), a bowl of oatmeal(teaspoon of sugar), a cup of no sugar added applesauce, and a few Annies Bunnie crackers. I realize that most of this is carbs and she will have a protein based lunch, but that doesn't really affect her eating. She will continue this way throughout the day. To drink she has had water and rice milk.

I have never had to watch what my older kids ate so this is a new concept to me. How and when do you start watching/limiting what a child eats? We are not a 'clean your plate' type family, but we don't like to see waste either, and encourage kids to take small portions and then ask for extra. We never force or require the kids to eat.

You're right to be concerned. Three or four is the age at which the dd of a friend of mine, who is also big boned, started eating a lot and gaining weight. At first her height & weight were the same percentile, but if your dc is tall, as this girl is, that isn't necessarily okay. At t his point this girl is morbidly obese & her mother says she is constantly hungry, but her mother has never limited snacks and in order to pay for activities, feeds them lower protein meals (not all their meals, of course) than most people I know.

I'd limit grazing to fruits & veggies unless there is an obvious need (not 3 weeks.) I always made sure my preschoolers had a balanced protein and at least some fat at every snack since an all carb snack won't hold dc. Fat is what makes you feel satisfied & protein helps keep you from getting low blood sugar/hungry in between regular eating times. At meal time I gave them half of their meal portion and all of their veggies. They had to eat all of their veggies in order to get the rest of the fun food (pasta, potatoes, meat/poultry/fish). I do not normally serve dessert, and if I do it's usually fruit. While none of my dc are in that situation (they are all thin as dh & I were) I am setting up healthy standards from the start since that thinness doesn't naturally last for life in our families. When my dc are getting ready to grow, they eat more, of course.

In addition, sugar is NOT the only culrpit. I'd greatly limit processed cereals & foods like that and serve food closer to the natural state (rolled oats, but not the instant kind, which you also gave her, for eg). Kix is a fun treat, but nutritionally it's not the best bang for your buck and leaves many dc wanting more. Those nutritional panels don't tell the whole story. This is especially true for dc like your youngest. The same with the snack crackers you gave her. When my dc ate things like that at times (before going gf/df) they always wanted more, more, more.

Also, I'd keep her active.

Her activity levels aren't really of concern. She is always on the go and doesn't really play with sit-down toys. We have a Rainbow two tower system out side, an outdoor playhouse, a full assortment of bikes, trikes, Plasma cars, scooters, basketball hoops (big and kid sized), covered play area, cul-de-sac street, lots of grass to run in, tons of balls, bats and other outside toys.

She is very active.

I guess my main concern is that she is learning to eat constantly. For instance, earlier we were out side on the swings/slide. We had been playing for about 15 minutes and she asks for food. We had just eaten 30 minutes prior. I told her we needed to wait a while and enjoy our time outside instead. She was fine, but then was asking for food again 30 minutes later. I don't mind her eating healthy things all she wants, but I do worry about habits being formed young that she may battle with her entire life.

She is my great-niece. Her g-ma (my sister), and her bio-mom have been overweight (size20+) as well as her bio-father and bio-gma on his side...all their lives. Her bio-father will eat Enormous amounts of food if he doesn't' have someone stop him. I have see him filling plate after plate at a buffet finishing each one.

On the other hand, as she grows up, I also don't want to make food a 'forbidden fruit' due to her family history. How do you balance allowing a toddler the freedom to graze with out setting her up to gain poor habits. Even offering her good foods, there is still the possibility of too much of a good thing.

I'd probably ditch the rice milk. It's basically sugar water, has very little nutritional value at all. You mentioned she can have goat cheese, what about goat milk? WIC will cover it now, at least in my state (I wish they had when my DD was little!). With real milk (goat or cow), there is some valuable protein and fat added to a bowl of breakfast cereal. With rice milk, it's almost all carbs, period. Is there a particular reason you avoid soy milk as well? Plain Silk brand is a good one (not the flavored, they have WAY too much sugar).

I would try and get her out of the breakfast cereal habit if she can't have protein-containing milk or milk substitute on it. Steel cut oatmeal with a bit of protein powder thrown in, a whole grain bagel with a bit of cream cheese, an egg on toast, etc. would all be better choices.

As long as she's eating a variety of fruits, I wouldn't be quite so strict with them. Bananas are mostly starch, but most others are more fiber and valuable antioxidants and vitamins, and the sugars aren't processed as quickly by the body as processed sugar is, especially if they're eaten alone. How is she about veggies? Will she eat, say, celery with pb/sunbutter/whatevernutbutter, or carrots dipped in yogurt (plain or flavored with a ranch dip packet or slightly sweetened with natural sugar), or raw bell pepper, zuchinni, cucumber, etc?

The only "limiting" I would do would be in terms of WHAT she eats. She will naturally eat less food if she is getting the nutrients her body needs. I would guess you'd see a HUGE difference in the amount she eats in just 2-4 weeks of her eating fruits and veggies all morning. If you feel the need, add 2 oz of nuts (or equiv of nutbutter) also. I *might* allow oatmeal a couple times per week. I would have cereal for an afternoon snack once in a blue moon and skip the crackers.

Anyway, grazing is fine, I think; but we moms need to watch what is available to graze on.

BTW, we were POOR when my kids were little. I don't think it hurt them, at all, to have 6 small meals per day instead of grazing. I *like* the idea of people eating when they are hungry and not eating when not hungry. However, it doesn't seem like THAT is what she's doing. A little limiting in that regard may not hurt as much as letting her eat processed simple carbs.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I agree with the suggestions of a complex carb/protein combo at breakfast. I'd cut out snacking on carbs and allow snacking only on fresh fruit/veggies. I keep a fresh veggie tray in the fridge as well as bowls of citrus wedges, and we always have apples and bananas on hand. If you want to cut out constant grazing just serve snacks on a set schedule.

It sounds like you are serving fairly healthy foods already, but a bowl of Kix would not keep me full for long. At all. Isn't it just corn?

You may also consider eliminating the rice milk, as it is mostly just sugar and water I believe. Can she eat nuts, avocados, nut butters, etc. as sources of healthy fats?

The only "limiting" I would do would be in terms of WHAT she eats. She will naturally eat less food if she is getting the nutrients her body needs. I would guess you'd see a HUGE difference in the amount she eats in just 2-4 weeks of her eating fruits and veggies all morning.

Thanks. You said this so much better than I did. Eating habits and excess weight do NOT have to be passed on. Of course not everyone is going to be built the same way, and that's okay. Sometimes being a bit heavier and having some excess fat is good--Swimming to Antarctica is a great eg of a fabulous athlete who called herself chubby, but it was by the standards of the 1970s not today's.

I'm also with those who say ditch the rice milk. Can she have eggs/fish/poultry/meat/legumes? I'd work out balanced proteins that way, but not with soy due to the hormonal affect.

If you are really concerned that this is abnormal amount of eating for her, you could ask your doctor about a referral to a peds. endocrinologist. There ARE some physical problems that can lead to over-eating. The kids just honestly don't feel full and are hungry all the time. Most likely this is NOT it, but might be worth checking out.

I would give 2 scramabled eggs or nut butter on whole wheat toast or both for breakfast. All those carbs could be fueling her hunger.

After eggs and cheese or nut butter, I would let her have all the seeds, fruits, and veggies she wants. I woulds stop ALL Kix, all bunnies etc. Not for a day or a week, but for at least 6 weeks and then reevaluate.

She may have blood sugar issues and I would also stop chips etc for the same amoutn of time. Give her cheese and meets, beans and borwn rice, eggs or tuna etc for lunch. Make sure everything is potein -dense with nothing refined. No sugar etc. I would dump the rice milk altogether. It's nothing but sugar with no protein. If you are vegan and don't allow animal products, i would offer nut butters, tofu, avocado, bean/rice combos, and tons of seeds. I would consider protein smootheis as well, but make sure the soy is organic. I would make sure the first thing she ate in the morning was pure hight quality protien.

Edited by LibraryLover

If you are really concerned that this is abnormal amount of eating for her, you could ask your doctor about a referral to a peds. endocrinologist. There ARE some physical problems that can lead to over-eating. The kids just honestly don't feel full and are hungry all the time. Most likely this is NOT it, but might be worth checking out.

This is exactly what I was thinking--especially after what you said about her father. It doesn't sound like anything this extreme from what you describe, but this Prader-Willi Syndrome comes to mind.

Your 3yo sounds exactly like my 3yo. My 3yo has been over the 100th percentile for height and weight his entire life. He is very big for his age - over 45 lbs - but he is proportional. I don't have any issues with his height and weight since they are healthy for him, and that's the way God made him. I only buy him sweatpants and elastic waists (for toileting ease), so I don't know if he can snap his pants. :D My 3yo still has some baby fat, so he could seem a little pudgy I suppose. I love seeing those dimples on the back of his hands still.

The amount of food she is eating seems in line with my very active 3yo. As long as they are offered healthy food and their height and weight remain proportional, I wouldn't worry about overeating or limiting food.

I should mention that all my kids eat more if the kitchen is "open" for extended periods. If dh eats his breakfast then I serve a couple kids a half hour later and then I eat even later, anyone who was awake with dh will have eaten three times. :glare: I have found that they eat less if I limit our breakfasts to one occurance for the entire family.

How about almond milk instead of rice milk? It has more nutrients. I wouldn't limit fruit, but I would limit crackers and carb loaded processed foods. No one I have ever known has become obese from gorging themselves on fruit. Also, some nuts might add some satisfying fat and protein which would keep her full longer than the carbs.

So, what about fats? Children that age do need to have some healthy fats in their diets, don't they? Small amounts, I've read, but at least some. I remember reading that the proper amount of healthy fats can be very satisfying and stop binge eating. You'd have to research and decide what you might need to add, but consider it. Some cheese or cottage cheese, maybe? I am no dietitian, but I know this holds true for me as a grown up!
Eggs, almond butter and Avocado are all good choices. Boiled eggs might do a lot to make her feel more satisfied with a meal or snack.

If I eat nothing but carbs, even whole grain, I eat much more and don't feel well.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I would probably encourage more of the grazing to be on fresh fruits and veggies after breakfast. Think high-fiber, relatively low-calorie. At that age kids are generally good at regulating quantity, as long as we regulate quality.

My boys are on the skinny side but I limit the number of non-fruit/veg snacks in the day.

Laura

I guess my main concern is that she is learning to eat constantly. For instance, earlier we were out side on the swings/slide. We had been playing for about 15 minutes and she asks for food. We had just eaten 30 minutes prior. I told her we needed to wait a while and enjoy our time outside instead. She was fine, but then was asking for food again 30 minutes later. I don't mind her eating healthy things all she wants, but I do worry about habits being formed young that she may battle with her entire life.

Some people have a hard time discriminating between thirst and hunger. Perhaps carry a water bottle with you so that she can sip water when she needs it?

Laura

It is not necessary to limit fruits because they are sweet. She could eat 80% of her diet in fruits and would be more healthy than most of the population. In fact, there is a food plan that is based on 80% fruit!

As for fats, she can get good healthy ones from nuts, nutbutters, avocados, and the like. There is no reason to push any amount of unhealthy fats on toddlers/preschoolers. Yes, they need the fats, but good fats are better than bad (that seems so obvious, but I think our system has us thinking otherwise that sometimes we need it spelled out in obvious terms). Almond or Coconut milks would be better for her than the rice and would cover the healthy fats also.

I think it is fine to give her some of the other stuff you give her, but just in moderation (ie, not a little every day; but more like once in awhile). One thing I LOVE about my eating plan is that I *can* eat anything I want. I simply FOCUS on the good stuff. Whatever else I don't worry about (now, if I had diabetes or cancer, I'd go 100% raw vegan, but....). Again, if a body gets what it NEEDS, it won't crave the junk it doesn't need (barring a disorder like PW or issue like out of control yeast or whatever).

I agree with what many others have said about including protein with breakfast and offering veggies at any time in any amount. You details look like you serve wonderful quality foods.

Second, I have two kids that want to eat when they are bored. I can tell by the way they are cruising around before ending up in the kitchen. They are at a great, healthy weight, and we have talked about the difference between eating when hungry and eating when they're just looking for something to do. Perhaps noting what she's doing when/just before she comes back for more to eat would give you a clue about her motivation for eating. That said, if she really does want to eat, I'd let her, just provide some healthy choices.

:iagree:

I think in the 1980's they shunned fat and fat can be good in the form of olive oil, butter, real mayo, and oily fish such as salmon or sardines:) Does she like bacon and eggs for breakfast? Even though the kashi waffles are whole grain, I think it still acts like a refined carb. Many things say they are whole grain from I understand and really are more like refined carbs. I would try some protein and fat at each meal or as a snack:) As far as the juice, that can spur her appetite since it is not in its fibrous, whole form:) I amke juice sprizters for ds by using 80-90% water and a splash of juice:D As far as the smoothies, it sounds nutritious, but blueberries that are not ground up would be more filling I think.

Even though the kashi waffles are whole grain, I think it still acts like a refined carb. Many things say they are whole grain from I understand and really are more like refined carbs.

Also a health food brand label does not a health food make. I see many things sold in stores (for more $$ no less) that are no more nutritious than their national brand counterparts. There are lots and lots of expensive refined carbs out there.

Some people have a hard time discriminating between thirst and hunger. Perhaps carry a water bottle with you so that she can sip water when she needs it?

Laura

Excellent point.

Also, when I focus on foods higher in water content, I feel more satisfied. I could munch dry stuff all day.

Drinking water doesn't seem to have as dramatic an effect (on satiety) as high water content foods--raw vegetables and fruits.

A glass of juice is seen as a serving of fruit in our house.

A glass of juice is not a serving of fruit. Juice is 100% sugar unless it is the kind that actually has the whole fruit in it like say V-8 Splash. I would eliminate juice entirely of change to the juices that contain the whole fruit and maybe even some veggies. Better yet make smoothies that contain fruits, yogurt, whey powder and ice. They are very filling, low in calories, high in both protein and fiber plus lots of vitamins and minerals.

I would also add some healthy fats and then low calorie snack for when she just has the muchies like air popped popcorn.

And I agree with pps who said increase water intake.

Also how often is she urinating? If it seems like a lot or smells sweet consider testing for diabetes.

Finally, take comfort in the fact that some studies have shown that grazers actually have less problems with weight that people who eat three times a day. (Please don't ask me to look this up. If you are really curious a quick search should turn up some hits). It has to do with the fact that digesting food actually burns calories so you burn calories every time you eat and if you are only eating a small amount or a low amount of calories you are burning a larger portion of them.

Also a health food brand label does not a health food make. I see many things sold in stores (for more $$ no less) that are no more nutritious than their national brand counterparts. There are lots and lots of expensive refined carbs out there.

Absolutely. Most whole wheat breads have a lot of white flour, too. Look for ones that are 100 percent whole grain (read the label).

Rolled oats. Corn meal or flour that contains the germ (buy fresh & freeze because the germ is what makes it go rancid more quickly), etc. Some say skip flours altogether and just use grains and grain substitutes (buckwheat, amarant, quinoa are not grains, for eg) whole. I think that's a bit extreme and difficult to live with in our society. I'd limit gluten if she is gluten tolerant and look for a varied diet. Having some highly sensitive dc, I realize this isn't always easy or totally feasible.

Grazing is healthy, but I'd look at the overall calories. Three large meals and grazing is not healthy and is how many people become overweight, but many small meals over the day is healthy

But mostly, I'm very happy that you are working with preventing her sharing a lifestyle and health problem with her bio parents. Obesity has been higher in the US than in Canada since I was little, but in both countries has dramatically increased and obviously it's not some sudden genetic change affecting the overall population.

The only "limiting" I would do would be in terms of WHAT she eats. She will naturally eat less food if she is getting the nutrients her body needs. I would guess you'd see a HUGE difference in the amount she eats in just 2-4 weeks of her eating fruits and veggies all morning. If you feel the need, add 2 oz of nuts (or equiv of nutbutter) also. I *might* allow oatmeal a couple times per week. I would have cereal for an afternoon snack once in a blue moon and skip the crackers.

Anyway, grazing is fine, I think; but we moms need to watch what is available to graze on.

BTW, we were POOR when my kids were little. I don't think it hurt them, at all, to have 6 small meals per day instead of grazing.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: