Menu

For those who oppose and/or are concerned about genetically-engineered crops...

The USDA is considering approval of genetically-engineered ("Round Up Ready", thanks to Monsanto) alfalfa. Actually, they previously approved it, illegally, and have now conducted a court-ordered Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The 60-day comment period in response to the EIS expires February 16, 2010. You can read more and find out how to respond, here. PLEASE take the time to at least familiarize yourself with this issue that affects all of us.

My food coop alerted me to this. I have a few questions and wonder if anyone here has deeper insight into this issue and its ramifications than I do.

If approved, does it mean we will have a hard time finding organically grass-fed beef and if at all only at top dollar because the rancher will have to move heaven and earth to keep his feed uncontaminated with GM alfalfa?

I know Monsanto Corp is big - are they hoping to take over the market and replacing all commercially grown alfalfa with their GE "roundup" version?

Isn't GE alfalfa already on the market?

Just to clarify: I am opposed to GM crops and have already posted my comment at the USDA site. I just want to get some clarity on this issue.

For those of you unfamiliar with the GMO issue, please consider watching "The Future of Food". It is available on Netflix.

GMO was never a concern to me until I watched this...yes, the health issue is of concern, but what bothered me the most was the financial impact and CONTROL that the government and a corporate entity can hold over a farmer...it's a freedom issue.

For those of you unfamiliar with the GMO issue, please consider watching "The Future of Food". It is available on Netflix.

GMO was never a concern to me until I watched this...yes, the health issue is of concern, but what bothered me the most was the financial impact and CONTROL that the government and a corporate entity can hold over a farmer...it's a freedom issue.

I agree that freedom and legal issues [for EVERYone] are a large part in this debate, but that video --while very moving-- is also blatantly one-sided.

I don't fully understand the who GE stuff, but I do know whenever you "mess with nature" there is going to be h*ll to pay somewhere. I don't think they should be able to GE anything, from food to people. Why oh why do people think they can play "God" and things will be fine??

:grouphug::grouphug:

but I do know whenever you "mess with nature" there is going to be h*ll to pay somewhere. I don't think they should be able to GE anything, from food to people. Why oh why do people think they can play "God" and things will be fine??

why do people always think that anything science does is "playing God"? i don't recall ever hearing about a scientist saying "Let there be _______" and it suddenly appearing out of thin air.... ;)

Do you think that every time we "mess with nature" and, say, save lives there's hell to pay? We "mess with nature" on a daily basis and make a lot of constructive, positive progress....... even in the GE industry.

I don't fully understand the who GE stuff, but I do know whenever you "mess with nature" there is going to be h*ll to pay somewhere. I don't think they should be able to GE anything, from food to people. Why oh why do people think they can play "God" and things will be fine??

:grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree: You said it nicer than I could have.

Hi, Liz! There's so much to say on this topic, but I have to be mindful of my time. There's a plethora of information available ~ so much to read, so much to watch ~ and it makes more sense, I think, for you to just go to the source rather than have me repeat it, kwim?

If approved, does it mean we will have a hard time finding organically grass-fed beef and if at all only at top dollar because the rancher will have to move heaven and earth to keep his feed uncontaminated with GM alfalfa?
Attempts at moving heaven and earth aside, the reality is that genetically engineered crops can, and in all likelihood will, contaminate non-GMO crops. That's part of the frustrating thing. It's like noise or air pollution that invades your space. You can only avoid it to a degree, and are held prisoner to those inflicting the noise (or what have you).
I know Monsanto Corp is big - are they hoping to take over the market and replacing all commercially grown alfalfa with their GE "roundup" version?
I'll let Monsanto speak for itself, based on their actions.
Isn't GE alfalfa already on the market?
Not that we know of. As noted in the link I shared, after its initial approval by the USDA, the courts banned it until a full analysis was completed. We're at that point now.

The USDA is considering approval of genetically-engineered ("Round Up Ready", thanks to Monsanto) alfalfa. Actually, they previously approved it, illegally, and have now conducted a court-ordered Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The 60-day comment period in response to the EIS expires February 16, 2010. You can read more and find out how to respond, here. PLEASE take the time to at least familiarize yourself with this issue that affects all of us.

Thanks, for the heads-up, as we too love Organic Valley milk--lactose free skim.

Pretty much. Just as they have already done with corn and soy.

For anyone who doesn't know what "Round Up" is, it's a toxic weed killer manufactured by Monsanto. Monsanto then developed plants that are immune to Round Up, so that farmers who plant their GE corn, soy, alfalfa, or whatever, can spray tons of their weedkiller on the plants (that you eat) and only the weeds will die.

Besides the issue of eating Round-Up-drenched plants grown in soil contaminated with toxins, there is also the problem of cross-pollination with non-GE plants, as well as the potential problem of having practically all of the corn, soy, and alfalfa grown in this country be produced by a single manufacturer. Genetic diversity is important to prevent catastrophic crop failures; different varieties of plants are resistant to different pests and diseases. If a new plant disease or pest emerged that destroyed the Monsanto breed of corn, it would destroy the entire US agricultural industry and the US economy. Think what the impact of Dutch Elm Disease would be if elms were the ONLY trees in all of the US.

Jackie

I find that so typical of Monsanto. Alfalfa is an amazingly easy crop. Why in the world would you waste money on Round Up on alfalfa??? Monsanto, though, is good at marketing their bull and making people think they need their cr*p to be profitable.

We crop organic alfalfa. We buy the seed (65$/40ac) and do no more than plant (in a well-prepared field) and then sit back and watch it grow for 3-4 years, cutting and baling as needed. Organic alfalfa here went for $.85/lb. On 120 acres of alfalfa we averaged 25klb per cut (and usually get 3 cuts).

Do the math on that profit. So why would I pay overinflated pricing on Monsanto seed and then hit it with Round Up (which last I checked was $9/litre, and typical application rates only cover 2-3 acres per litre), when I can get the same results with NO Round Up and cheaper ORGANIC seed?

Except ... well, there is that thing Monsanto likes to do with their GM seeds and proprietary monopolies... :glare:

Pretty much. Just as they have already done with corn and soy.

For anyone who doesn't know what "Round Up" is, it's a toxic weed killer manufactured by Monsanto. Monsanto then developed plants that are immune to Round Up, so that farmers who plant their GE corn, soy, alfalfa, or whatever, can spray tons of their weedkiller on the plants (that you eat) and only the weeds will die.

Besides the issue of eating Round-Up-drenched plants grown in soil contaminated with toxins, there is also the problem of cross-pollination with non-GE plants, as well as the potential problem of having practically all of the corn, soy, and alfalfa grown in this country be produced by a single manufacturer. Genetic diversity is important to prevent catastrophic crop failures; different varieties of plants are resistant to different pests and diseases. If a new plant disease or pest emerged that destroyed the Monsanto breed of corn, it would destroy the entire US agricultural industry and the US economy. Think what the impact of Dutch Elm Disease would be if elms were the ONLY trees in all of the US.

Jackie

They've nearly owned all canola production in Canada and the US, but fortunately there is a growing movement of farmers who have seen through the corporate bully-boy tactics and are planting non-Monsanto canola in ever increasing acres. Interestingly enough, the yields are nearly identical to Monsanto canola, but without the cost of RoundUp (there ARE other, cheaper chemicals that can be used IF you need/want them) the profit margin is pleasantly higher.

While the crop diversity is important, that isn't why farmers are moving away from Monsanto. It is because Monsanto requires a very strict contract to use their seed. You cannot keep any seed for next year's crop. They will and do sue you into the ground for that. You also are required to buy from them for a certain contract period and ONLY use their chemical for that time as well. Again, they will and do sue you into the ground for that. Additionally, the contracts stipulate a right of way for Monsanto, wherein they may come onto your property and inspect your crop at any time to look for any infractions of the contract. They also call right of way to inspect any containers in your farmyard to make sure you aren't holding back seed. They will also inspect your sale records for tonnage sold compared to expected tonnage, and if they suspect you are holding back, will be all over you. Let's just say that these things... among many others... make them a very unattractive bed-fellow.

Edited by Audrey

If a new plant disease or pest emerged that destroyed the Monsanto breed of corn, it would destroy the entire US agricultural industry and the US economy. Think what the impact of Dutch Elm Disease would be if elms were the ONLY trees in all of the US.

Jackie

intriguing considering that we produce entirely too much corn.

I find that so typical of Monsanto. Alfalfa is an amazingly easy crop. Why in the world would you waste money on Round Up on alfalfa???...Except ... well, there is that thing Monsanto likes to do with their GM seeds and proprietary monopolies... :glare:
Yep. And we've been on the downward spiral for years. The deeper you go, the more you know, the creepier it gets. We're the chumps in Bedford Falls and Monsanto & friends are our own dear Mr. Potter.

While the crop diversity is important, that isn't why farmers are moving away from Monsanto. It is because Monsanto requires a very strict contract to use their seed. You cannot keep any seed for next year's crop. They will and do sue you into the ground for that. You also are required to buy from them for a certain contract period and ONLY use their chemical for that time as well. Again, they will and do sue you into the ground for that. Additionally, the contracts stipulate a right of way for Monsanto, wherein they may come onto your property and inspect your crop at any time to look for any infractions of the contract. They also call right of way to inspect any containers in your farmyard to make sure you aren't holding back seed. They will also inspect your sale records for tonnage sold compared to expected tonnage, and if they suspect you are holding back, will be all over you. Let's just say that these things... among many others... make them a very unattractive bed-fellow.

:eek:

Wow. :ohmy:

The story of how Monsanto bullied and bribed the FDA into approving aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal) is pretty harrowing, too. Truly scary stuff.

Jackie

Monsanto is in the actual seed business? It is largely a chemicals conglomerate, with a long arm in the gene licensing arena, no? I would imagine that the nation's (or world's) farmers buy their seed from the hundreds or thousands of various seed suppliers in the world who may or may not have licensed some of the genes M has developed to achieve desirable traits in their plants from which they harvest seeds.

Monsanto is in the actual seed business? It is largely a chemicals conglomerate, with a long arm in the gene licensing arena, no? I would imagine that the nation's (or world's) farmers buy their seed from the hundreds or thousands of various seed suppliers in the world who may or may not have licensed some of the genes M has developed to achieve desirable traits in their plants from which they harvest seeds.

This is where people underestimate what Monsanto is -- thinking they're just a chemical dealer. They ARE in the seed business. They routinely create, patent and sell their seeds. Yes, they are sold through seed dealers, but those are Monsanto branded seeds, which come with a contractual obligation to Monsanto. Those seed dealers have to get the originals from Monsanto. Even if Monsanto grants them a licence that may allow them to grow seed for sale, ALL product of the original Monsanto seeds are tied up in contract after contract.

Try going out and buying some RoundUp Ready canola and you'll see exactly what will be required of you and exactly who owns that seed you're buying. Monsanto controls every aspect of that seed, every step of the way. They own it. They want to own them all.

ETA: You can read about a little farmer who stood up to Monsanto and won.

Summary of various articles on the topic here: http://www.biotech-info.net/monsanto_schmeiser.html

Or Percy's own page here: http://www.percyschmeiser.com/

Plus, another group suing Monsanto:

http://www.saskorganic.com/oapf/legal.html

Edited by Audrey

Colleen, I found a link to the CBAN campaign against this. For Canadians, go here: http://www.cban.ca/Resources/Topics/GE-Crops-and-Foods-Not-on-the-Market/Alfalfa

Lots more info there as well. This will make a good blog post. :001_smile:

Wanted to mention that due to the high volume of response thus far, the USDA has extended until March 3 the period of public comment.

High Volume of Responses??? I love it! Did they not say that "nobody" was really interested or concerned about this issue?! I hope this is a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...

High Volume of Responses??? I love it! Did they not say that "nobody" was really interested or concerned about this issue?! I hope this is a good sign.

:iagree: Yay!

BTW, my oldest ds, 9, is REALLY enjoying Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids, for those who might be so inclined to check it out for their children. I don't think he can make it through a page without turning to me and asking, "Did you know they {fill-in-some-yucky-processed-food-fact}? Yuck!" I even got the, "I'm never eating at McDonalds EVER again. Did you know how they make their food?!?!?" :lol:

King Corn is another important documentary available through play on Netflix. It addresses not so much GMO (although Liberty Corn is GMO) issues, but the whole wrong way we grow and supply people with 'food' in the US.

GMO is about control over the entire food supply. It's a huge issue.

YK, after I watched King Corn, I happened to watch Medicating Our Kids on NEtflix (a PBS documentary). The little 4 yr old boy shown with bi-polar in that documentary was eating microwaved corn dogs, Gatorade with HFCS and other similar foods. I really wondered if his brain was being starved along with having bi polar. Our food system is not what it was even 20 yrs ago. I don't know how we can even biologically handle the changes. (And it looks like we can't).

It takes so much more effort and much more money to eat around the mess that is American agri- biz. I feel so sorry for the poor farmers who were pushed in this direction.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes! If you allow screen time or have Netflix, I highly recommend the following:

The Future of Food

King Corn ( probably the most entertaining for a kid. Pollin appears in this)

Food Inc. (Pollin in this as well)

Fast Food Nation (This is a move, not a documentary)

On YouTube, look up Joe Salatin. He's got a lot to say, says it well, and considers himself a steward of the earth (he's Christian) and a grass farmer. He's a lot of fun to boot. Very hopeful.

Has your ds seen Super Size Me? All my kids saw it and they were never McD's kids to begin with, and they were disgusted. I have a child in public high school who takes salads and soups and stews to school and never/rarely (will eat pizza) eats fast food with his friends. Even on band bus trips, he brings food, or chooses something else from any stops. He has tried the chicken at McDs in a pinch, and was not impressed.

I think there is some swearing in SSM, so you might want to preview.

:iagree: Yay!

BTW, my oldest ds, 9, is REALLY enjoying Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids, for those who might be so inclined to check it out for their children. I don't think he can make it through a page without turning to me and asking, "Did you know they {fill-in-some-yucky-processed-food-fact}? Yuck!" I even got the, "I'm never eating at McDonalds EVER again. Did you know how they make their food?!?!?" :lol:

Edited by LibraryLover

If you allow screen time or have Netflix, I highly recommend the following:

The Future of Food

King Corn

Food Inc.

Super Size Me

We (dh & I) have seen these and <3 Joel Salatin. I know the boys saw parts of The Future of Food, but not the rest. I should see about checking them out from the library for them.

I just had to share ... I can't believe how much this book has affected my son! He asked the other day if he could write a letter to the President about this, LOL! He has never written to any politician ever before (nor have I encouraged or even suggested it). After three rough drafts his first political letter ever is in the mail to President Obama, and it's about genetically modified foods of all the things in the world. It was a nice lesson on how to write a formal letter. ;-)

Happy Belated Birthday, Colleen.