Menu

What is your experience with field trips like?

Do you guys do "field trips" often?

My oldest is eight and a half and we have taken exactly one field trip. I almost forget it was a "field trip," because it was a guided walk through a state park, and it felt more like a picnic than anything! (We had a great time, though.)

Maybe I'm just lazy, but whenever I hear about an upcoming field trip, it just sounds tiring, or too far (I'm not interested in driving an hour and a half round trip!), or too expensive ... or all of the above!

Plus, many field trips I hear about do not allow kids under six, and I do not have any intention of hiring a babysitter for one kid so I can take the others on a field trip.

I'm wondering if I should try to do more field trips, or if it's not a big deal.

In your experience, are field trips worth it?

How often do you take them?

What, if anything, has annoyed you about some field trips you went on?

What have been your favorites?

When you go on one, do you come home and do regular schoolwork, or are you done for the day?

We've enjoyed the field trips that involved either the great outdoors or an inexpensive museum. We did not care for field trips to various "shops" to see how "whatever" is done or made.

We've enjoyed:

An old fashioned day on the farm which included demonstrations and activities

a local children's museum that included a class

a large children's museum

a state park

geocaching

We like free/inexpensive, close to home and something that will involve them doing something not watching.:001_smile:

We do lots and lots of field trips! We are fortunate to live within an hour or two drive to great museums, zoos, nature centers, forts, caves, historic locations, working farms, children's theaters and other performing arts venues.

There are also a number of other hs moms who organize trips in our area. We join those as often as possible, but also really enjoy just going and doing on our own. What I like about the group trips is that we are usually able to get a "group rate" and so it makes the price of the tickets/admission/tour a lot more affordable. What I dislike is that my ds(8) sometimes would rather chitchat with his friends than listen to the tour guide, look at the demonstration, or whatever. When we go, just the two of us, he can be more engaged with what we are seeing.

For us, if we have a field trip planned that is "school" for the day. I try to have an audiobook to listen to in the car to make the driving go faster.

Once or twice I have been disappointed that the amount of effort to get to a field trip was not in the end worth losing a day of lessons at home. I find that not to be the case most of the time. We enjoy getting out and doing and seeing and learning.

We live for field trips! But then, I have a very, very active boy that learns "on the go." :tongue_smilie: Last year, we went on 45 separate field trips. (I don't count duplicates, like going to the same zoo multiple times.)

We are very fortunate to live in a large urban area with loads of museums, art galleries and theaters. I search out cheap or free events, discount days, coupons, etc.

We also take educational vacations. DH and I decide on a location, then I seek out field trip opportunities in that area.

If we are studying a particular topic, I try to find a related field trip.

On the flip side, if something comes up then we will read a related book or two and make it into a 'mini unit study.' (Exs: There was a traveling George Washington Carver exhibit here last year, so we read a biography on him, then visited the exhibit. This year we are attending three plays - The Secret Garden, Narnia and Peter Pan - so will read the books before seeing the plays.)

We sometimes go with one or two friends, other times with our homeschool group. Sometimes it is just DS and myself and sometimes dad tags along. (Especially if I need driving assistance. :glare: I don't like driving into the city by myself.)

We live for field trips also. We try to do one a month with our homeschool group and maybe more now that the weather is getting nicer. When I plan a field trip, I make sure that it all ages can be included in the trip so that no one has to hire a sitter unless they want to.

I think field trips are a great way to learn and experience new things.

In your experience, are field trips worth it? They can be, if you keep them learning focused. Also, if you're specifically looking for a social outing, then keep those focused on safe, appropriate fun.

How often do you take them? I have typically done weekly field trips with my sons for most of my 11 years of homeschooling. I've pulled back a little on that now, but still typically do trips once to twice per month.

What, if anything, has annoyed you about some field trips you went on? Over most of these years, I have been the main person organizing these trips. Others can be incredibly inconsiderate: failing to pay, failing to show up, ignoring kids who are misbehaving and causing a disruption while our guides are talking, etc., etc.

What have been your favorites? I've done way too many to list those, LOL! We typically do trips that are associated with what we're studying for history and/or science at the time. We also do art and music appreciation type trips. I try to make them relevant to reinforce what we're studying at the time. This year, we're studying geology and medieval history, so those are the sorts of trips we're taking. If special, one-time opportunities arise, we may do those, as well. We've never had a chance to go to a Slim Good Body performance, for example, and we have that chance this year. So even though we're not studying the human body this year, we're going to that performance.

Most places you go have online educational info, worksheets, etc. to go along with school field trips. You can generally print out study guides to use ahead of time, while there, or after returning from the trip.

When you go on one, do you come home and do regular schoolwork, or are you done for the day? We go to things both near and far. We try to keep to our regular school day as much as possible. So, for instance, when we are going to Cincy Museum Center, which is about 90 minutes away from us, my son will still start his school work at 8. He will work until time for us to leave, then take work with him in the car to continue until we get there. He'll also do some more work on the way home. In this way, we don't get so far behind in our regular work (because we do so many trips).

Now, if your children get car sick, you may have to modify this. There are tons of books on tape and other things on tape/CD that can be used while on the road, such as language programs, math drills, geography or history drills, science drill work, music appreciation, etc., etc. If more than one child is working and they are doing different things, then small, inexpensive ($5) tape recorders from Wal-mart can be just the thing. Everyone has their own set of headphones and can do their own work while you drive. They can stop the tape whenever they need to ask a question or want to make a comment or otherwise talk to you about what they're hearing. When my son was younger, I even taped a lot of our read alouds for him to listen to while on the road, complete with my thoughts/questions, etc. about what was being read.

We do several field trips a year. We moved to the Washington, DC area in May, so we have been enjoying lots of trips to DC. Thankfully there is lots we can do for very little money. Our last field trip was to the National Zoo. The zoo is free and I packed lunch and snacks, so all we payed for was our Metro fare. Other field trips we have enjoyed were to a colonial farm and to see some kid-friendly plays.

The PS kids don't do school work on field trip days and it counts as a school day, so we don't do work those days either. I really love field trips because it gets us out of the house for something besides errands.

We love field trips. We are willing to drive 1-2 hours, depending on great the experience will be. We have been able to go places with group rates that we normally would not have been able to afford at regular rates.

I like to organize field trips. I always look for economical prices, keeping in mind the families with many children plus parents to pay for. I also look for things that are all ages, or at least will allow stroller babies to tag along. There are some that are just great for older children though, so families will have to decide if they can allow the older children and not the younger, sitter arrangements, etc.

Unless we have a long drive, where school can be done in the car, we normally do not bother with school work that day. We school hard when we are at home, and it's nice to have field trip day with "school" off.

We try to go on at least one field trip a month, but if one comes up, then we will certainly take advantage of it.

I don't like field trips with other people, either.

We do them alone.

If possible, we learn about where we're going before we go. If I take the kids somewhere and they don't understand what they're looking at, they act up and it's miserable for everyone. But if we've studied something, and then go see it in person, they love it and are very into it. Like, if we go to an art museum they'll be bored to tears unless we've studied a few artists and learned about their crazy backgrounds. Then when they see the paintings by the artists they've studied, they get all excited.

I might have the kids do the 3 Rs before the trip and call that a school day, but other times I will have the field trip be the school day with no other work. It depends on how "meaty" the field trip will be.

We love field trips! We go at least once a month on a field trip. We're members of our local children's science museum and we attend their 'homeschool' days once a month to learn about all kind of neat things. Last month my 5 & 6 year old got to dissect an earth worm. They talked about that for days. Last week we were invited to the Ringling Bros. circus, where we were given stuffed elephants and stethoscopes to learn about the care of circus animals.

But our favorite field trip so far this year was with our homeschool group. We were invited to tour the airport and fire department. My boys had a blast!

I don't plan formal lessons on 'Field Trip' days. But I will do mini unit studies on up-coming field trips (such as the circus).

We're a member of a homeschool group, so we do some field trips with them. However, we've only gone on one with them so far. It was a field trip to Publix to learn about all of their different departments....it was really neat. There was another one that got rained out, and another one where there was not enough people that signed up. We have one this month for a tour of the library.

I do like field trips.....but sometimes it does not seem like a field trip, especailly if it is just us. Tomorrow DH is off work and we are going to the zoo. I'm considering it a field trip. I'm having DD take her nature/animal notebook and we are going to record some things in it and draw some pictures. It's a field trip!

We left the house every Thursday for a field trip. It might have been something that had to do with a Camp Fire patch dd was earning, or something I had read about in the newspaper, or something really random. We had zoo memberships for many years, so that might have been the field trip. Sometimes we just went to a mall far from home and had an Orange Julius and watched the crowds. :-)

Mostly it was just dds and me; once in awhile I would want to go somewhere that required a group, so I'd call around and invite some friends to get the smallest group possible.

I only did field trips with my support group if they were on Thursday, or if they were stupendous and needed a *large* group of people such that I couldn't do it myself.

When you go on one, do you come home and do regular schoolwork, or are you done for the day?

We love field trips and fit in as many as time and money allows. Usually, it's just the kids and I going somewhere. Sometimes we go places as family outings in the evenings/weekends with dad, and I count them as field trips because of their educational value. Occasionally, we'll join homeschool groups on field trips if it is interesting enough and low cost enough. I will not go on any trip with age limits preventing any of my kids from coming along.

The most annoying thing for me happens when we go on trips with a group. I hate it when kids are allowed to dress inappropriately and behave poorly, making the whole group look bad. I also hate it when other people at the venue are poorly behaved...pushing people out of the way before their turn is over (ie. an aging machine hasn't finished the drawing), not allowing anyone else a turn, etc.

Our favorite was the time we went to Portland with other families from our virtual academy (the trip was organized by the school). We stayed in a hotel for four days, had an "attractions pass", could go to any venue we wished, and came back to the hotel to play in the pool with the other families. We visited the Oregon Zoo, the Portland Children's Museum, the World Forestry Discover Center, the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, and OMSI. We enjoyed it so much, my family repeated the trip the next year.

For regular short-term field trips, doing school work depends on the trip. If it is all day, we catch up another day. If it is half a day, we'll do our core work before or after. Field trips are easy to fit into our schedule because our schedule is flexible. I organize work into weeks, rather than days. Our goal is to get our work done by Friday, though we sometimes finish up on Saturday. Our science is taken two weeks at a time, so as long as we finish up before we move onto the next chapter, I'm happy. I'll let history bleed into the next week because I make it a habit to play catch up every now and then as needed.

I amazed more people haven't said that field trips exhaust them!

I think they can be beneficial but I really dislike the disruption to our routine. I am fairly rigid about sticking to our routine. I even plan ahead for field trips but then when they get closer I just skip them and don't tell the kids!

I often feel we have more than enough unscheduled disruptions without adding in extra scheduled ones.

I do think they can be great and we used to do more of them- but I guess I thought of them as homeschool zoo days or various other things we would sign up for with other homeschoolers.We did more when the kids were younger. I think I had better factor in some this year. I like Laura's idea of one a month.

My oldest is eight and a half and we have taken exactly one field trip. I almost forget it was a "field trip," because it was a guided walk through a state park, and it felt more like a picnic than anything! (We had a great time, though.)

Maybe I'm just lazy, but whenever I hear about an upcoming field trip, it just sounds tiring, or too far (I'm not interested in driving an hour and a half round trip!), or too expensive ... or all of the above!

Plus, many field trips I hear about do not allow kids under six, and I do not have any intention of hiring a babysitter for one kid so I can take the others on a field trip.

I'm wondering if I should try to do more field trips, or if it's not a big deal.

We take a few field trips every year. Trips to places like Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Gettysburg, zoos, and museums have been our favorites. Sometimes we do nature hikes and walks, but I guess we're not as big into nature because the kids don't seem to enjoy them as much, or learn as much from them. (It's probably my fault because I am just not an outdoorsy girl, though I try to get into it for my kids' sakes.)

My kids are 13, 9, and 7, and as they get older, field trips seem a little less important to me. I used to think that we should do at least one every month. Now 3-4 per year seems fine.

My youngest is 8 1/2 and we do tons of field trips. We try and do at least one a week - sometimes 2 or 3 a week. Usually these are set up as on-site classes and ds just loves them. I think they are very worth it - especially since ds is very hands-on and learns best by being immersed in something. What annoys me are the ones that are expensive or far away. I avoid those. Unless it's something truly spectacular, I won't spend more than 30 minutes traveling there.

My favorites include: a behind the scenes trip into American Airlines (we got to sit in the pilot's seat in the cockpit and visit the air-control tower), Central Park (Urban Rangers and Zoo School classes), the Botanical Garden, the Queens Farm, and the NY Hall of Science. There are so many more I loved - too many to name. Check out my blog to see all the trips and classes we've done. :tongue_smilie:

Usually, if it's a field trip day, it takes the place of any scheduled academics. Sometimes the trip is after 1pm, which gives us the morning to get some schoolwork done (a lighter version). This is why I love using a weekly schedule instead of a daily one so we can finish the week however we like. If we skip a day, we can make it up later - or plan ahead for it.

My youngest is 8 1/2 and we do tons of field trips. We try and do at least one a week - sometimes 2 or 3 a week. Usually these are set up as on-site classes and ds just loves them. I think they are very worth it - especially since ds is very hands-on and learns best by being immersed in something. What annoys me are the ones that are expensive or far away. I avoid those. Unless it's something truly spectacular, I won't spend more than 30 minutes traveling there.

Wow, now I am thinking we need to start going on some!

But ... I looked at the calendar of the homeschool group I just joined this fall and I remembered why we haven't been going.

The last field trip they had was $35/person. No wonder I didn't go.

The next upcoming field trip does not allow kids under six. So we won't be going to that one either.

And I don't see any field trips scheduled past that. There is a Field Day scheduled in the spring.

You guys that go on field trips once a month or more -- where you do you "find" them? Are you in support groups that have field trips that often?

Or do you just do it independently? If so, how do you go about finding places? Any good suggestions of a place to start for a good field trip if we want to strike out on our own?

Thanks

Love field trips. My kids love field trips. Love to go on them.

Hate to organize them. It NEVER FAILS, someone is late and leaves me standing at the door holding tickets... ugh!

Anyway, field trips don't have to be with a group and they don't have to be expensive. Just get a family or two together and you can often qualify for a group rate. Look in your city/county parks and recreation guide, many offerings are free or minimal charge.

If your kids might be interested in something - the fire station, grocery store, local bank or bakery - just call and ask if they'll give a tour.

Make your own field trips!

See answers below:

In your experience, are field trips worth it? Absolutely! Taking field trips that are meaningful to our currciulum (or expose us to things we wouldn't normally explore) are such a vital part of our homeschooling experience. I daresay it is one of the many reasons that homeschooling rocks.

How often do you take them? Now that my youngest is 4 and no longer tied to a stroller, can toilet himself, and we're basically beyond babyhood, I'll take them as often as possible.

What, if anything, has annoyed you about some field trips you went on? No. I've been very impressed by the ability of our tour guides to speak to a wide range of ages.

What have been your favorites? Haven't met a field trip I didn't like....:tongue_smilie:

When you go on one, do you come home and do regular schoolwork, or are you done for the day?Depends on how far away we're traveling. I often have the kids take some school work for the car ride.

I'm totally excited about our March field trip -- we're taking a bus into NYC to go to the natural history museum. We'll have to wake up at 3 am to catch the bus, and won't be home until after midnight, but I don't care. It is an experience, an adventure!

When our dc were younger, it always seemed that most HS-group field trips were geared for smaller families. With 5 dc, I often didn't meet the criteria and some groups even said things like 'If you have preschoolers, leave them at home' for this trip. We were reduced to Park Days and things like that. I eventually gave up on them because of this and also because it was exhausting and it seemed we lost at least a day of school trying to recover from the trip.

The best setup for field trips I ever saw was in ID. The HS group used to list places to go on our OWN time, along with hours, costs, etc. This was wonderful. Dh and I would scour these lists and make plans for the weekends when he could do the driving. And dh got to share these things with all of us. We went to so many interesting places when we lived there.

Here, about all we did was iceskating. That was fun and cheap, until the rink went bankrupt and they closed it. Anyone could skate - moms, dads, ALL your dc, etc.

Edited by ksva

I prefer field trips with either just our family, or one or two others. I have only been on a couple field trips with a very large group. They were not as good of an experience; it was like my elementary school class field trips as a kid--we were rushed through, no time to ask questions. But the worst part was that the children were not orderly because the moms were all busy socializing and paying no attention to their children or the trip. I was embarassed when the tour guides kept asking people to quiet down and it was the moms that were the ones that wouldn't shush.

Oh yeah, and the not being able to take younger kids is often a problem for us, too. I do understand the reason for that, though, so it's okay.

You guys that go on field trips once a month or more -- where you do you "find" them? Are you in support groups that have field trips that often?

Or do you just do it independently? If so, how do you go about finding places? Any good suggestions of a place to start for a good field trip if we want to strike out on our own?

Thanks

We've done field trips both independently and with groups.

I don't think field trips need to cost much OR be limited to older kids only. I'm sorry, but I think it's unreasonable to expect homeschoolers to NOT include any younger siblings on the field trip. We wouldn't be attending those field trips either.

For us, we have annual passes to the local zoo and to the children's science museum. So I make sure we get our money's worth there by scheduling trips when we have some 'lag' time (which isn't often).

Our homeschool group recently did a trip for middle school/high schoolers to a local car garage. They were to learn about checking the oil in a vehicle and how to change a tire.

Here are some no-cost/low cost places you could consider for field trips:

• Newspaper businesses
  • Grocery store
  • Police department
  • Fire department
  • Animal control/shelters
  • Airports
  • Sports organizations (such as a minor hockey league, or basketball league)
  • Hospitals
  • Post Office
  • Community Theater (often they'll give you a deep discount for you to sit through their 'first-run' showings)

That's just off the top of my head.

Off to read the rest of the responses. :D

Wow, now I am thinking we need to start going on some!

But ... I looked at the calendar of the homeschool group I just joined this fall and I remembered why we haven't been going.

The last field trip they had was $35/person. No wonder I didn't go.

The next upcoming field trip does not allow kids under six. So we won't be going to that one either.

And I don't see any field trips scheduled past that. There is a Field Day scheduled in the spring.

Thanks

We do a few thing on our own, but I most often go with the homeschool groups I belong to. $35/person is insane. Most of mine are $5 each. Some can be $7-$10, and very few (and they have to be super good) can be $11-$15. This is just for the child. Parents and siblings don't have to pay usually, unless we're participating.

Almost all of the field trips we do are drop-offs and parents can stay on-site to keep younger siblings occupied (like at a museum, science center, zoo, or garden). At 8 years-old, my son is old enough to do the class without me. I enjoy chaperoning, though, so many times I'll sit in the class or tour with him (I also like seeing what he's learning). My 13y/o often comes along and I feel bad leaving her to her own while I'm in ds's classes, but she passes for a chaperone most times, lol.

My groups do lots of "field days", game days, playdates, clubs etc, but we're not interested in those. We stick with the educational trips. Although, if there was an issue with ds and no friends, I'm sure he'd want to participate (those are free, btw).

I belong to 5 different homeschool groups. All of them have full calendars of trips, classes, tours, and get-togethers. We just pick and choose what we like. I actually just planned a class for this Wednesday for 7th to 10th graders (at a film museum). It's $5 each for a 45-minute video-game making workshop and 90-minute tour of the museum. Great price for all that I thought.

The best place to start looking for places to go would be your state or city's tourist websites. Call places and see if they have workshops for certain age ranges. It's not hard to put something together. Does your group have an email connection site like Yahoo or Google groups? Yahoo now has an RSVP application thingy that is awesome. Think about what your ds likes to do and go online. You can even start with your own neighborhood. Pizza shops will let 4 or 5 kids make pizzas. Ice cream shops love giving tours. Whole Foods gives an EXCELLENT tour (with lots of free samples!). Factories and facililties in your area might do tours as well. Call a nearby farm, nursery, botanical garden, zoo, or tourist attraction and see what they can do.

Guest janainaz

We don't do them as a group. We have visited a few museums that have had some exhibits and classes related with what we were studying. I don't think my son learned anything more than he already had learned from the book. It was just a little bit fun (not super fun - lol). I may start looking for more field trips for my ds5 when he starts first grade - it seems he's the kid that would actually benefit from them. If you don't like field trips, you're kids won't be warped if you don't go on many (or any) of them.