Menu

Texas

• 2 weeks later...

I am new here and new to homeschooling. I live in Central Texas (ROUND ROCK). It looks like there are lots of ladies in the area.

I have a few friends that homeschool but they all do it their own way. I am still trying to figure it all out but am excited we are starting this journey.

My kids are ages 5, 3 and 10 months.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ! Although we are not "classical ed-ers", there do seem to be at least a few others here who are not "by the book" either. So I hope I may visit here.

We are in DFW burb-land -- Carrollton. Only one hs'er remains; the rest grew up (2 of them), or transitioned to an "outside school" (1 of them). So it's dd, age 10 in homeschool.

Someone should construct a poll about Texas weather; I've noticed a couple of remarks in the thread. (I haven't read all 12 pages of the thread.) I grew up in Houston. Went to college in N.C., where I discovered that the public school primers weren't lying -- There really ARE four seasons to the year ! We moved to DFW after ten years in beautiful Alabama; been here since end of 1995. For me, any temperature higher than 70 Deg. F. is unbearable !

Antonia

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in the little tiny town of McCamey, we are closest to Odessa for a bigger city though. I saw some others from Odessa, Permian Basin, that's exciting!!! We moved from Ft Stockton, about a month ago. We haven't seen other homeschoolers in a while!!

I was thinking of joining MACHE, but my kids are still little so IDK!

You could always call them and talk to them, to see if it would be a good fit for you guys yet or not. If not then you could just way a couple of years. I sent them an email with a bunch of questions first and we talked back and forth through email a bit before we signed up. Steph was very helpful! They have basketball for my oldest son and he is super excited about it. They have weekly park days, parties, field trips, etc.

I belong to MACHE and have since 1988. My kids are older now, the youngest are 13 and 17. MACHE should be having their back to school picnic in August. You both should come. They have sign up sheets and information about all their acitivities. I spend most of my time at our co-op, GECO. It's for jr./sr. high kids. My daughter plays on the girl's basketball team. If you have any questions you can email me.

God bless,

Vicki

I belong to MACHE and have since 1988. My kids are older now, the youngest are 13 and 17. MACHE should be having their back to school picnic in August. You both should come. They have sign up sheets and information about all their acitivities. I spend most of my time at our co-op, GECO. It's for jr./sr. high kids. My daughter plays on the girl's basketball team. If you have any questions you can email me.

God bless,

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

I think we are going to the picnic, Steph said it's on the 13th at 6pm. The co-op sounds great, but my oldest has another year to go before he can participate. We are also going to the Lake day on Saturday, will you be there? Blessings~April

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

care to chime in?

I'm going to a city near you soon and have lots and lots of questions.

what kind of homeschooling networks are there?

how's the catholic atmosphere?

any other large families?

what about teens?

where to live?

where to NOT live?

what's to do?

OB or midwife recs?

parks? zoos? museums?

music lessons?

swim lessons?

realtors?

:auto::willy_nilly:

• 1 month later...

We are moving to Texas the end of January. We will be in east Texas (Tyler area) for the first few months and then we will be in the Dallas area. Can anyone suggest a good area to live near the Dallas area. My husband will work in Dallas. I know it is near Arlington. We will need to find a house to rent when we get there. Any help on the areas surrounding would be great!!!

Erin

Mom to 6

• 2 weeks later...
We are moving to Texas the end of January. We will be in east Texas (Tyler area) for the first few months and then we will be in the Dallas area. Can anyone suggest a good area to live near the Dallas area. My husband will work in Dallas. I know it is near Arlington. We will need to find a house to rent when we get there. Any help on the areas surrounding would be great!!!

Erin

Mom to 6

DFW Relocation Guide

http://www.destinationdfw.com/

Mansfield

http://www.mansfield-tx.gov/

Grand Prairie

http://www.gptx.org/

Arlington

http://www.ci.arlington.tx.us/ton

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, ladies! I'm in the gray and drizzly Northwest (about half an hour east of Seattle, actually), and it looks like there's a better-than-average chance we'll be moving to Austin within the next year, for several reasons.

Does anyone have any advice on... really anything about living and homeschooling in Austin? If we do this, we're going to have to find a whole new set of friends for the kids. I haven't done a co-op up here, because I haven't found it necessary, but maybe that would help them make some friends. Any suggestions for good co-ops? I don't mind a Christian-oriented one, but it would need to be one that doesn't require a statement of faith, because we're not Christian ourselves. And who among you has opinions about the different neighborhoods within Austin itself? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Nealy

mama to Thales (12/02), 1st grade; Lydia (2/06), pre-K; and Odin (12/08), toddlebeast

Guest Esgaroth

Hello - native Texan here, in Richmond, just 40 miles SW of Houston, if you are on Hwy 90A (that's South Main for Houstonians) and heading west, you'll cross the Brazos River and think you've slipped into some little old southern town.