Menu

Need meatless meal recipes for a PICKY dh-are you up for the challenge??

My husband grew up in the heart of the midwest and was only fed meat and potatoes growing up-seriously, no exaggeration. His mother eats horrible, so she passed it to her children. I want to start having one meatless meal a week which will be hard on his system :001_smile:

As I said, he's picky. I've looked at lots of different meatless meals and they all involve cheese. My dh can't stand cheese-regular cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and lots more-but my biggest obstacle is finding meatless meals that don't have cheese. I found a recipe for black bean tacos and that will work well because cheese isn't a necessary ingredient. If you have ANY ideas for me, I'd sure appreciate it. He's never been an easy person to cook for, and he truly believes that he needs meat to be healthy. He once told my niece in all seriousness that a person can live without fruits and vegetables, but not without meat. My niece who was 14 at the time looked at him like he was crazy-she was in the vegetarian-fad stage of her early teen years at the time!!

Any ideas????

Sounds a little like my DH, but he's not quite that bad. He'll eat his veggies, but he does love his meat and taters. Growing up in his house a healthy meal was something like fried pork chops, black eyed peas and greens cooked with bacon grease, mashed potatoes, and fried corn bread.

I don't know if your hubby grew up eating like mine did, but if so then maybe start out with a good hearty 'country' meal that is meatless, like peas or beans, greens, okra, corn, potatoes and cornbread. You can adjust it to make it healthier after you get him used to not eating meat at every meal.

Greek spaghetti (I think that's what it's called) is a meatless spaghetti dish with tomato sauce and veggies. Black bean and sweet potato burritos are good (my kids that hate black beans and burritos love these). Does he like soup? Maybe some soup and cornbread.

He eats rice (white only :tongue_smilie:), so stir fry would be a good idea. He also will eat salad-but just lettuce with salt and pepper-seriously :-)

I have several taco soup recipes, but they call for beef. I think if I made my recipe without beef, it would be sort of bland. What's your recipe call for?

Here's our vegetarian chili recipe:

2 cans chili beans

2 cans black beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 onion, chopped

2 T oil (I use olive)

2 T chili powder (use more or less, according to taste)

3 T oregano

2 t cumin

1/3 C water, or red wine, or some of each, or a splash of red wine vinegar and the rest water

1-2 C frozen corn

Saute the onion in the oil till clear; add the tomatoes, then the beans. Add the spices and the water/wine. Let cook at med/med low heat for about an hour. Add corn and heat through. We serve this with cheese and sour cream on the side, so your DH can easily avoid them. :) We also usually have cornbread, made with a couple heaping tablespoons of orange marmalade for extra taste, and maybe guacamole and chips, or guacamole with carrots and celery.

Good luck on your new endeavor!

Sounds a little like my DH, but he's not quite that bad. He'll eat his veggies, but he does love his meat and taters. Growing up in his house a healthy meal was something like fried pork chops, black eyed peas and greens cooked with bacon grease, mashed potatoes, and fried corn bread.

Our husbands must have grown up in the same general area. I' have managed to get rid of the fried pork chops and corn bread though.

I can feed mine cheese, but that only goes so far. I'm going to :lurk5:

My dh grew up in a small town in Nebraska. He used to shoot squirrels and BBQ them, but he won't eat cheese because it disgusts him. Ummmm....I think I'll take the cheese over BBQ'd squirrel!

Thanks for the chili recipe. I'll give that a try!

If meat is so important to him, why don't you just cut up some chicken breast for him to add to his meal? Or cook up some ground turkey and give him some to sprinkle in? I'm not sure what your reason is for wanting a meatless meal, but lean meats are healthier than most cheese. He's a grown man, let him have his meat! :)

I'm doing this for me and my boys as well. We all need to learn to not eat so much meat. It's so costly, and I would like to cut down our grocery bill-even if it's just one meal. Trust me, he gets lots of beef, chicken, and pork the rest of the week. He won't mind eating a meal without meat, as long as it's filling and doesn't contain anything he doesn't like. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to control his eating habits-that's not what this is about. I want my boys to have a taste for meatless meals, too.

If meat is so important to him, why don't you just cut up some chicken breast for him to add to his meal? Or cook up some ground turkey and give him some to sprinkle in? I'm not sure what your reason is for wanting a meatless meal, but lean meats are healthier than most cheese. He's a grown man, let him have his meat! :)

:iagree: You could slowly phase it in by going with a lighter meat like ground turkey in chili instead of ground beef. Then, if you wanted, start adding less meat and more beans. My dh grew up the same way. After years of my cooking, he has gotten used to soups and stews and salads instead of roasts and whole chickens for dinner. His body is used to it too. If he does eat heavy, his body makes it clear that it is not happy!

Potato Soup is a good meal. It has milk instead of cheese.

What are black bean and sweet potato burritos??

Here's the one we have, from one of the Moosewood cookbooks:

5 C sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (I buy them frozen in this form)

1/2 t salt

2 t oil

3 1/2 C onions, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed

4 t cumin

4 t coriander

3 cans black beans, drained

2/3 C cilantro leaves

2 t lemon juice

1 t salt

Cook sweet potatoes and salt in water to cover them for about 10 minutes, or till tender.

Meanwhile, heat oil and cook onions, garlic, and spices at med heat until onions are tender, approx 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine cooked sweet potatoes, the black beans, lemon juice, cilantro, and salt, in a food processor. Remove to a bowl and add onion mixture, stirring to combine.

Roll filling in tortillas of your choice, place in baking pan, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Serve with salsa, if desired.

If you can feed him a meatless chili, you can also use that chili as a topping on a baked potato. Keeping the potato in the equation might make it a little easier to take hide the meatlessness (or at least help it go over better). We're the opposite of your house at mine. Not much meat, but *lots* of cheese :D

Search Google for vegan recipes, not meatless or vegetarian ones. I like the Veganomicon cookbook. How about a vegan root stew, with potatoes, onions, turnips, celery, carrots and parsnips? Onions fried up in butter, smothered in barbecue sauce, and served on a hamburger bun? Red & black beans sauteed in onions & garlic until they're almost refried, served in layers of corn chips with guacamole?

Here's the one we have, from one of the Moosewood cookbooks:

5 C sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (I buy them frozen in this form)

1/2 t salt

2 t oil

3 1/2 C onions, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed

4 t cumin

4 t coriander

3 cans black beans, drained

2/3 C cilantro leaves

2 t lemon juice

1 t salt

Cook sweet potatoes and salt in water to cover them for about 10 minutes, or till tender.

Meanwhile, heat oil and cook onions, garlic, and spices at med heat until onions are tender, approx 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine cooked sweet potatoes, the black beans, lemon juice, cilantro, and salt, in a food processor. Remove to a bowl and add onion mixture, stirring to combine.

Roll filling in tortillas of your choice, place in baking pan, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Serve with salsa, if desired.

This looks really interesting! I'm going to give it a try since we're gluten free, nut free, dairy free, etc. and everyone here likes sweet potatoes.

Lisa

My family isn't big on meatless either and here is one everyone likes. The cheese isn't necessary. The only difference is that instead of the tbsp of tomato sauce I use a large jar of crushed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste and then cook it till the rice absorbs the liquid. My kids actually request this recipe, they haven't figured out there is no meat yet.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Beans-and-Rice-2/Detail.aspx

What about spaghetti? It isn't at all exotic and you don't have to add cheese or meat to it.

We often have baked potatoes for dinner. Just have whatever toppings he likes. My dh and my 14yo use butter and Bacos (no actual meat - http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-Bacos-Flavor-4-4-Ounce/dp/B000EFBM4O ). My 16yo likes butter, cheese, and Bacos. I do pretty much the same as my 16yo.

Stir-fries are good and don't require meat.

My dh loves to have Ranch Style Beans and homemade cornbread as a meal.

Sometimes we have spaghetti without meat. I usually add ground beef to the sauce, but when I don't I add a small can of mushrooms (fresh, if you prefer). My sauce is usually 1 jar of inexpensive traditional spaghetti sauce plus a can of crushed tomatoes (you can blend whole or diced tomatoes, or fresh, frozen or home-canned tomatoes if you prefer). It gives the sauce some extra body rather than just the jarred sauce as-is. I also add lots of italian seasonings, and about a teaspoon of sugar if I add the tomatoes to the sauce. We also usually have garlic toast--I buy the frozen kind and prepare it on my flat stovetop griddle. It "toasts" nicely but leaves the crust soft.

The Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime crumbles work well as a sub for ground beef in things like spaghetti sauce or I just add lots of veggies cut chunky to it (spinach, diced tomatoes, onion, chopped zucchini if I have it).

I bulk up my burrito filling with veggies---refried beans, taco seasonings, spinach, drained diced tomatoes, chopped onion. This is another place the crumbles work well, but they aren't necessary.

Breakfast for dinner----eggs, pancakes, that sort of thing

Here's a Spanish-seasoned black beans and rice dish I just discovered that came out really well Moros y Christianos http://www.choosy-beggars.com/index.php/2008/10/08/moros-y-cristianos-cuban-black-beans-and-rice/ (though I didn't use green pepper).

I've made vegan red beans and rice using the Morningstar Farms sausage crumbles. I've found when I'm using the veggie crumbles, it helps to sub peanut oil for vegetable or canola oil to get a deeper flavor, plus add in a vegetarian bouillon cube. Unfortunately, they aren't the cheapest alternative you can find to meat.

If he will eat curry, that's wonderful made with potatoes, chickpeas, cauliflower, etc. Cauliflower is a nice substitute for chicken in many casserole preps. Vegetable soup is a big hit around here.

How about fish as something to break up the red meat cycle? Make deviled eggs to go along with a meatless meal for extra protein? I cooked a lot of vegetarian meals for the few years my husband was vegetarian (he loves cheese though), and I know I definitely need some form of protein other than just veggies, even beans, to stay feeling okay---cheese, eggs, nuts, something.

Edited by KarenNC

How about a nice and creamy potato soup? I usually make it with some whatever other vegetables I have on hand (peas and carrots are a nice addition). This is a VERY hearty meal. Yum.

Another idea is enchiladas. Instead of a meat filling, mix black beans with a bit of salsa, corn and maybe some bell peppers, if he likes them.

Baked penne pasta is good. Mix the barely cooked pasta and chunks of vegetables (squash and carrots are good in this) together with spaghetti sauce and bake it for a bit (20 min?). It's really good with mozzarella on top (bake until the cheese is bubbly and brown) but you could make part of it with no cheese.

Goodness, that's hard because of the cheese thing. He's from the midwest and doesn't like cheese? What gives? :confused: :lol:

A good hearty chili, pea or potato soups are filling and tasty, as well as burritos. Minestrone, spaghetti - but these are all things already mentioned. I make this sloppy joe recipe (but I sub the tomato paste w/a big ol' squirt of ketchup and add 1 tsp salt) and everyone likes it well enough - but we add cheese to it, although, it would be tasty and very flavorful without it.

I don't suggest you go meatless right away. I'd start using the recipes some of these ladies mentioned that "stretch" the meat. When he is used to that then try a meatless recipe. Stews, bean dishes, pasta dishes, casseroles, are all great ways to stretch meat.

I asked my DH to read this thread -- he used to be a lot like your DH, just replace the potatoes preference with rice since my DH is Asian and Hispanic. He suggested adding veggies in before phasing meat out -- maybe a steak salad, or a veggie heavy pasta meal that still included meat. I was left wondering whether your dh dislikes cheese so much that he avoids pizza, since that opens up some fun vegetarian possibilities.

A favorite around here is bean wraps with these ingredients:

• canned black beans (heated)
  • Spanish Rice-flavored Rice-A-Roni prepared according to package directions (we don't add tomatoes, though)
  • tortillas (any size; we use soft taco size)
  • salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, etc.--whatever toppings you want to include

I have a great recipe for black bean soup if you're interested.

I'm guessing several of us would be grateful for it!

Gladly! :001_smile: It's really easy and delicious.

Black Bean Soup

2 cans black beans, undrained

1 cup chicken broth

1 small onion, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic (dried is fine)

1 jar salsa (16 oz.)

4 tsp lime juice

2 tsp ground cumin

cheddar and sour cream to taste (optional toppings)

Blend 1 can beans an dchicken broth in blender. Saute onions and garlic (cooking spray or small amt. of oil or butter) over medium heat until onions are tender. Add bean mixture, remaining can of beans, salsa, lime juice, and cumin. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally for 25-20 minutes. Top with cheese and/or sour cream.

Try fatfreevegan.com for recipes. I also have several recipes that I can email you if you are interested. Here is an example:

SPICY JASMINE RICE WITH CARROTS AND CASHEWS

2 TBSP. Olive Oil

1 small red onion, finely chopped

1 jalapeno, seeded and minced

1 large carrot, grated

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 Tbsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger

2 tbsp. soy sauce (I use Bragg's Amino Acids)

1/2 tsp. honey

3 cups cold cooked brown rice

1 1/2 cups thawed sweet peas

1/2-3/4 cup chopped unsalted cashews

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and stir fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, garlic, ginger, and scallions and stir fry until soft, about 2 minutes.

2. Add the soy sauce, honey and rive and stir-fry until the ingredients are blended and the rice is heated through, about 10 minutes.

3. To serve, place the rice in a shallow bowl, sprinkle with the chopped cashews, and serve immediately.

I serve this with gingered carrots, which is sliced carrots, fresh ginger and apple juice concentrate simmered for about 30 minutes.

This is one of my husband's favorites.

Deanna

I really appreciate all of your ideas!! I think I've got a base to get started with. I presented dh with some of your ideas, and he was fine with that. He has put on a few extra pounds as of late and he said he'd like to eat a little healthier :001_smile:

I'm looking forward to printing these off and giving them a try!!

he said he'd like to eat a little healthier :001_smile:

Be glad! :D

My husband is the sort who would happily eat a steak & a bag of chips for supper. There are many wonderful suggestions in this thread for tasty sounding, meatless, healthy meals ~ and my dh wouldn't even come near them. ;)