Menu

Christmas Dinner Ideas needed

Yes, I know it is Christmas eve but we are all quite undecided about what to have for Christmas Dinner. We used to have turkey with all the fixins', the past three years we did a standing rib roast which I really enjoyed but DSs said they really don't care for that. My oldest has suggested crabcakes, grilled shrimp and scallops however youngest DS doesn't like seafood. DH is indifferent about what we eat.

It will be the four of us and I'm looking for ideas. Oh, I have an apple and a pumpkin pie made and we'll be having apple strudel for breakfast. What would you suggest for dinner?

Merry Christmas!

Carole

Well, I just had to come up w/an impromptu Christmas Eve dinner myself because our usual Christmas Eve dinner w/dh's fam was moved up to tonight because we are getting some nasty weather, and we do Christmas Day with my parents (and that might be moved to the weekend for the same reason). Yesterday I bought a ham (I'm a veg, but the rest of these guys are "flexitarians"), will make baked potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower au gratin, roasted garlic asparagus, rolls and a cherry cheese coffee cake. Then we'll snack until we burst on the pasta salad and veggie tray left overs from tonight...

Its the very first Christmas Eve with just us 4 at home. Its kind of wierd.

We make it an h'ourderve night. Everyone gets to pick their favorite at Trader Joe's (or homemade) and we nosh. Not hard work. It's just the four of us and we never get that kind of food so it's fun. It is about the only thing that will distract the kids from the toys anyway. LOL.

Christmas Day

How about a nice roasted pig head?:D

I am having a nice ham and I do not want to see the rest of the beast.

My 12 yo planned the menu, very high starch, with little nutritional value

this is his favorite food, he also request the same meal on his birthday

ham

home made cream potatoes

home made mac/cheese

fried okra

yeast rolls

Yes, I know it is Christmas eve but we are all quite undecided about what to have for Christmas Dinner. We used to have turkey with all the fixins', the past three years we did a standing rib roast which I really enjoyed but DSs said they really don't care for that. My oldest has suggested crabcakes, grilled shrimp and scallops however youngest DS doesn't like seafood. DH is indifferent about what we eat.

It will be the four of us and I'm looking for ideas. Oh, I have an apple and a pumpkin pie made and we'll be having apple strudel for breakfast. What would you suggest for dinner?

Merry Christmas!

Carole

I love the seafood idea! I've added scallops and shrimp to our already full menu. They're so good. I know they'll be eaten.

Maybe you could go with the seafood idea and make lasagna or ham with it for your youngest ds and a bit of added variety. I would do that and throw in a couple of your favorite sides to round it out. Sounds yummy!

Well, I just had to come up w/an impromptu Christmas Eve dinner myself because our usual Christmas Eve dinner w/dh's fam was moved up to tonight because we are getting some nasty weather, and we do Christmas Day with my parents (and that might be moved to the weekend for the same reason). ....

I'm glad I'm not the only one faced with impromptu dinner changes! Our Christmas dinner at inlaws might be moved to Saturday, and I'm thinking we might have a pork roast - I don't want to make ham two days in a row, and I don't have time to thaw a turkey not knowing if we will be needing it or not. And I'm NOT going to the store between now and then.

We haven't done traditional Christmas dinner for many years. We're having Tempura and homemade sushi for Christmas dinner. Eve dinner is nachos, lol.

While the seafood sounds sensational, with one child not liking it that won't work completely.....but how about making a buffet type meal. Some seafood and some of whatever the other child likes. Of course this works best if the kids are old enough to help you, otherwise it's too much labor making basically two meals!

For the poster that was bummed because the restaurant's are closed.....how about ordering it today and reheating it tomorrow? Obviously some Mexican meals do better than others for this, but an enchilada casserole will actually taste better the next day.....Fajitas are wonderful to reheat.....just be sure to have the restaurant package the items separately so that you don't have to pick out the condiments from the meat. Most restaurants that also do catering are able to do this quite easily, smaller restaurants may only be able to do a platter so aren't the best choices for reheat.

Thank you for the ideas. Fondue --- umm, sounds good. It is one kitchen gadget I don't have but I could change that. :) And I do like the idea of a beef tenderloin. I'll see what I can find when I go to the market to pick up the shrimp and scallops. Maybe skewered beef tenderloin for me---that would be quick on the grill while the shrimp are grilling.

Merry Christmas!

Carole

on the 25th without the folks: Ham, Scalloped Potatoes and Apple Grape Walnut Salad. :) I can send the recipe if you're interested it's got french vanilla yogurt and I think cream cheese.

I'm doing the ham in the crockpot and the potatoes in the oven.

on the 26th with the folks: traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue (Gruyere cheese)

We used to have oyster soup as our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. But then one year my dad had a horrible horrible allergic reaction. He's bummed cuz it was one of his favs. That's when we switched to cheese fondue.

Edited by CalicoKat

Sounds delicious! Yummy...

Thank you for the ideas. Fondue --- umm, sounds good. It is one kitchen gadget I don't have but I could change that. :) And I do like the idea of a beef tenderloin. I'll see what I can find when I go to the market to pick up the shrimp and scallops. Maybe skewered beef tenderloin for me---that would be quick on the grill while the shrimp are grilling.

Merry Christmas!

Carole

We're doing shrimp scampi over angel hair with alfredo sauce. Those that don't like seafood will just have angel hair with alfredo. We'll serve it with steamed broccoli and garlic bread. It's quick and easy, which will be good because we won't be home from church until 7pm and the kids will be hungry!

on the 25th without the folks: Ham, Scalloped Potatoes and Apple Grape Walnut Salad. :) I can send the recipe if you're interested it's got french vanilla yogurt and I think cream cheese.

I'm doing the ham in the crockpot and the potatoes in the oven.

on the 26th with the folks: traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue (Gruyere cheese)

We used to have oyster soup as our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. But then one year my dad had a horrible horrible allergic reaction. He's bummed cuz it was one of his favs. That's when we switched to cheese fondue.

How do you do the ham in the crockpot? We're having a spiral sliced ham tomorrow (Christmas Day), and I'd love to be able to put it in the crockpot and not have to be in the kitchen while we have company!

I'm also wondering about how to make ham in a crockpot. I don't like ham' date=' so I never make it- but dh got a ham from his company this year..... I have no idea what to do with it![/quote']

PUt the ham in the slow cooker....pat about 2 cups of brown sugar onto the ham.

If it doesn't fit in the slow cooker go ahead and cut it half to wedge both pieces in. The flat cut piece going on the bottom will help it fit.

Cook for 8-10 hours.

I've poked cloves into it like a traditional ham cooked in the oven also, but the brown sugar gives it that wonderful maple-y flavor.

If it doesn't fit in the slow cooker go ahead and cut it half to wedge both pieces in. The flat cut piece going on the bottom will help it fit.

Cook for 8-10 hours.

I've poked cloves into it like a traditional ham cooked in the oven also, but the brown sugar gives it that wonderful maple-y flavor.

Thanks! I'll try this on Sunday!

Cook for 8-10 hours.

or just use tin foil to cover it and create a seal. It looks funny on the counter but cooks just as well.

I just dump the whole thing into the crock pot, set it on high, seal it the lid with foil if it's too big and forget about it until dinner. :D