Menu

Don't bite my head off, but is MCT just the next "flavor of the month"?

Karie

I've been on these boards for about 7 years, and inevitably, there comes along a curriculum that everyone is just gaga over. Then everyone orders it and after awhile, I don't hear as much about it. A few years ago, Winter Promise was all the rage, and now that's calmed down. I bought WP because it seemed that everyone was loving it. When I got it and began to use it, I didn't think it was so special.

So, my question is, is MCT just another newly discovered curriculum that everyone is running out to buy, only to find out that in a few months, people will be selling it because it wasn't what they thought it was? I have to admit, I looked at MCT and thought it was intriguing, but I want to give it some time and see what people think about it after they've used it for 6 months, KWIM?

If the opinion still holds after 6 months that it's pretty awesome, then maybe I need to look into it. For now, we're doing Growing with Grammar, Best Poems, Meaningful Composition/Writing Tales, and will start Vocabu-lit.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not real sure about it being the "flavor of the month" here. It has been around and discussed on the Davidson Forum for some time, people there still love it, and more and more GT schools are adopting it. I have spoken to other GT parents who have used it, for more than six months and they still love it. I think that it is just becoming more widely recognized, and people realize that it works for "every day" kids too. ;) It is just a completely different approach that works great for some kids, but certainly not everyone. My DD will be using it in a cyber class that has been using it for a while and are very happy with it.

I wondered the same thing....what? A curriculum out there that I haven't heard of?

LOL.

I think that there are some of us who just love to try new curriculum, just like there are some who love to try the newest computer game/cloth diaper/insert-your-item-here.

I am recovering from this! Staying content with what we have chosen for this year....

I wondered the same thing....what? A curriculum out there that I haven't heard of?

LOL.

I think that there are some of us who just love to try new curriculum, just like there are some who love to try the newest computer game/cloth diaper/insert-your-item-here.

I am recovering from this! Staying content with what we have chosen for this year....

LOL- chances are I have heard of it, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed by all the acronyms! I can only memorize so much.:tongue_smilie: At first I kept thinking Modern Curriculum Press, but realized that would be MCP, so now I am stumped.

I'm not real sure about it being the "flavor of the month" here. It has been around and discussed on the Davidson Forum for some time, people there still love it, and more and more GT schools are adopting it. I have spoken to other GT parents who have used it, for more than six months and they still love it. I think that it is just becoming more widely recognized, and people realize that it works for "every day" kids too. ;)

My kids aren't in the Davidson YS program but I've been hearing raves about MCT's LA programs for years on gifted lists. It does seem to have a wider popularity recently on general forums. But it's not exactly some recently published program that is popular mostly because of its novelty...

That said, I was definitely a bit underwhelmed when I previewed the elementary grammar series belonging to a friend in my local support group about 6 weeks ago. The story format was cute but I felt that it had a lot less content than many of the other grammar programs I've been considering. I've since heard MCT devotees say that a student has to do not just the grammar component but the complete program. Well, I'm not interested in having to do the whole kit & caboodle- I want a grammar program that is complete & thorough by itself.

We're only on month 4. You'll probably find a few more 6-monthers around February?

We're using MCT "in pieces" I guess, since we use LL for literature and Writing Strands for writing (although we're starting to slowly read through Essay Voyage). Oh, and we haven't started the poetry yet. So 4 months is with vocab & grammar (plus grammar practice), and those aren't at the same "level."

I think those of us who have used lots of different things are more aware of what is exactly the thing we needed. I wanted to pull my youngest into grammar in a way that would engage him and that would stick. I was looking for a step up in vocab that again wouldn't fly out the window after minutes. But because I've been homeschooling for a while (8th year?), and parenting school-aged kids some 10 years before that, I am fully aware that nothing will stick 100% and that my kids are unlikely to be "in love" with quality educational materials :)

In other words, I'm not looking for perfection; I'm looking for good stuff. And I'm looking for good stuff that works in our family. So after 4 months, what I can say for sure is that MCT fits my needs.

The biggest drawback I would think would be for larger families with many different ages. MCT works because I can spend conversation time with my child; that's the way I tend to school. I also had the opportunity to schedule it out somewhat last summer, because we take summers off. I don't know how it would look as an independent program.

Julie

Like with anything, YMMV. I also will go out on a limb here and be curious as to if this fits boys better?

It's been my observation that those folks who rave, rave, rave about MCT's materials are those who hate traditional grammar. I've heard so many variations of "we hated [insert name of traditional grammar program] but we LOVE MCT!" Maybe it's the LA equivalent of Miquon?

That said, I was definitely a bit underwhelmed when I previewed the elementary grammar series belonging to a friend in my local support group about 6 weeks ago. The story format was cute but I felt that it had a lot less content than many of the other grammar programs I've been considering. I've since heard MCT devotees say that a student has to do not just the grammar component but the complete program. Well, I'm not interested in having to do the whole kit & caboodle- I want a grammar program that is complete & thorough by itself.

MCT doesn't "scan" well. I had it sitting on my shelf for a year because I thought it looked light, and, frankly, weird. In desperation, after another program was sucking the joy out of language arts for my linguistically gifted son, I started using MCT.

I can assure you that it is *anything* but light. And I've used many different grammar programs.

But, yes, MCT doesn't separate grammar from writing, so to get the most out of the program you need to use the grammar book, the sentence/paragraph/essay/writing book, and the practice book for instruction to be complete.

Edited by EKS

Not really "new flavor of the month" -- I've been using it with two different students for about three years, adding a few more books to my set every few months. It has not been very well known on this board until recently. I'm sure there will be people who try it and drop it, but some of us are in it for the long haul.

Also I want to add I do not want to put down traditional grammar programs - I have used others successfully.

The thing that sets MCT apart for me is #1: Four level sentence analysis - as far as I can tell, a method of notation unique to MCT, #2 Use of challenging sentences from the get-go and #3 The way grammar, writing, vocabulary and poetry are pulled together in a way that makes complete sense to my math-focused mind. MCT provides the big picture as well as the details.

Other programs have done an excellent job teaching building blocks (grammar). But then you typically use a different program for writing, another for vocabulary, another for literature/poetry ...with the exception of literature guides and spelling I don't need to go all over to piece together language arts. It eliminates work for me. Part of the problem when we discuss the MCT program is that some of us are using more or less of it than others.

Edited by Dana in OR

I've been looking at this for well over a year, trying to decide what it is really like. I'm only taking the plunge now because 1) my ds needs a change, and 2) because enough people here are using it now so I have a better idea of how it works.

So, that "flavor of the month" thing isn't necessarily bad. That's how we found LfC, and we're still using it 4 years later.

I am using it for my second year. I am totally committed to it for the long haul, as I don't see anything that would work better for us, and I love it. Hopefully, it will always work for my kids, or I will be sad.

I think it is getting "flavor of the month" status , as it is getting a lot of questions here lately.

MCT doesn't "scan" well.

I agree. We've just started with 9th and 8th grade boys who have had plenty of grammar experience up to this point, but who, frankly, weren't retaining to my expectations. We've done plenty of writing (co-op, IEW, you name it, we've probably tried it), but they still require more handholding than I feel necessary. So I opted to go with something "different" (same feeling I had when beginning Singapore math) in order to light the fires so to speak.

After many confusing evenings looking through the materials to see how they mesh (grammar/vocab/writing/practice), I think I have found a groove to settle into. So far the boys aren't crabbing about the work and I'm impressed with the content. I like the way the program uses classic literature - the grammar reinforces the vocabulary, the vocabulary is reinforced in the writing, the writing reinforces the grammar, etc. I had not planned to use the writing component, but the more I looked through everything the more I felt it would be advantageous to use it.

I ordered the writing program with some reservations, but when I read the notes to the teacher at the back of the book, I was totally sold. MCT's thoughts about writing theory resonated with me. My own thoughts about writing have evolved over the past 15 years of homeschooling my own kids as well as teaching in a co-op. MCT's program is a simple program that doesn't make the subject onerous or mystical or overly complicated. He advocates the use of "standard" terms rather than unique-to-program terms such as: dress-ups, completers, etc. Writing isn't complicated, but many of the programs out there are so complex that they require teacher training before even beginning in order to know how to implement the program, get familiar with the terminology, and learn to critique.

Is it the "flavor of the month"? I can't say - I'm sure there are some who will order it, try to use it, put it aside. And for those it probably would be the monthly flavor. For others, though, it is the *one* that works. But I think that scenario plays out for just about any curriculum available.

I like the way the program uses classic literature - the grammar reinforces the vocabulary, the vocabulary is reinforced in the writing, the writing reinforces the grammar, etc. I had not planned to use the writing component, but the more I looked through everything the more I felt it would be advantageous to use it.

I ordered the writing program with some reservations, but when I read the notes to the teacher at the back of the book, I was totally sold. MCT's thoughts about writing theory resonated with me. My own thoughts about writing have evolved over the past 15 years of homeschooling my own kids as well as teaching in a co-op. MCT's program is a simple program that doesn't make the subject onerous or mystical or overly complicated. He advocates the use of "standard" terms rather than unique-to-program terms such as: dress-ups, completers, etc. Writing isn't complicated, but many of the programs out there are so complex that they require teacher training before even beginning in order to know how to implement the program, get familiar with the terminology, and learn to critique.

Thanks for sharing this -- I am waiting for my order to arrive but your post (that I have highlighted in red), sums up my reasons for wanting to give MCT a good try. :001_smile:

I've never heard of it until now, but then I tend to choose old stuff and skip anything that is new.

I think the author (MCT) has been an educator for many years, so I don't consider him new to education...maybe new to this board except for some threads in the accelerated sub-board.

And I'm a firm believer in that doing the lessons day after day is what works.

I love homeschooling! We can finally 'think outside of the box'. I'm sure I'm reading more into your statement than you meant....but it sounds like a boring, inside of the box type approach which doesn't work for our family. (And great if your approach works best for your family :001_smile:)

I don't think MCT is for every family, but I think some or all of his books are a great approach for some families.

Edited by Jen3boys

MCTLA was designed to meet the needs of gifted and talented students and has been marketed for that particular group. The program has enjoyed great success in that market and the news began to spread to other groups. I think we are at the beginning of the trickle down effect, as more people learn about MCTLA & RFWP their reputation will grow.

MCTLA was designed to meet the needs of gifted and talented students and has been marketed for that particular group. The program has enjoyed great success in that market and the news began to spread to other groups. I think we are at the beginning of the trickle down effect, as more people learn about MCTLA & RFWP their reputation will grow.

Exactly!

I was trying to find the original copyrights, instead stumbled upon his classes, in all my time spent on CTY, I didn't realize he taught classes for them with his books.

I agree. We've just started with 9th and 8th grade boys who have had plenty of grammar experience up to this point, but who, frankly, weren't retaining to my expectations. We've done plenty of writing (co-op, IEW, you name it, we've probably tried it), but they still require more handholding than I feel necessary. So I opted to go with something "different" (same feeling I had when beginning Singapore math) in order to light the fires so to speak.

After many confusing evenings looking through the materials to see how they mesh (grammar/vocab/writing/practice), I think I have found a groove to settle into. So far the boys aren't crabbing about the work and I'm impressed with the content. I like the way the program uses classic literature - the grammar reinforces the vocabulary, the vocabulary is reinforced in the writing, the writing reinforces the grammar, etc. I had not planned to use the writing component, but the more I looked through everything the more I felt it would be advantageous to use it.

Is it the "flavor of the month"? I can't say - I'm sure there are some who will order it, try to use it, put it aside. And for those it probably would be the monthly flavor. For others, though, it is the *one* that works. But I think that scenario plays out for just about any curriculum available.

Cynthia,

Can I ask what levels you purchased for your sons? Thanks!

We're using Word Within the Word 1 and Magic Lens 1. I decided to move back a level with the writing but anticipate moving through it quickly and then starting Advanced Academic Writing 1.

The vocabulary is challenging for the 8th grader (the 9th is an avid reader and so does well), the grammar has been pretty easy (we're just in the reviewing the 8 parts of speech), and the writing has been about right so far.

I've never heard of it until now, but then I tend to choose old stuff and skip anything that is new.

And I'm a firm believer in that doing the lessons day after day is what works.

MCTLA is far from new, just new-ish to this board, and new-ish to the homeschool market in general. They have been amazingly quick and thoughtful to the HS market, writing specific, cheaper manuals...telling you NOT to purchase the student books unless you WANT to, putting together HS packages, etc etc. There is a yahoo group with over 500 members.

They respond immediately to needs/wants/ desires from their customers, even though they are NOT a HS specific company.

Yes, doing things E V E R Y D A Y does work, sometimes it doesn't. It can also be amazingly boring and kill some kids' desire to learn. I would rather have an in depth lesson that encourages my kids to think about language when we AREN'T doing a lesson, then do a lesson that is forgotten because it is not in a larger context. Language is a bit different than a set of facts...

just my opinion, now don't bite MY head off!:D

Edited by radiobrain
forgot an e

So, that "flavor of the month" thing isn't necessarily bad. That's how we found LfC, and we're still using it 4 years later.

I agree. I love finding out about curricula from these boards. I always check the WTM for suggestions, and I also look here. It's how I found AAS and RS math before the newest edition of WTM came out. Both prgrams work great for my boys. I'm glad I heard about them here.

I'm not one to buy the hot item on the market for anything. I do love to read about curricula though.....old or new I want to know how it works for people. :001_smile:

We're using Word Within the Word 1 and Magic Lens 1. I decided to move back a level with the writing but anticipate moving through it quickly and then starting Advanced Academic Writing 1.

The vocabulary is challenging for the 8th grader (the 9th is an avid reader and so does well), the grammar has been pretty easy (we're just in the reviewing the 8 parts of speech), and the writing has been about right so far.

Thank you for your input! So, did you start with the Essay writing book? Also, how much time do you find you need to devote to the books to feel like you are making decent headway, if you don't mind me asking.

See, now I'm more intrigued because it has been around for awhile-didn't know that.

Here's a few questions:

It doesn't appear to be very independent, would that be correct?

How much time does it take you to do this-let's take Town for example.

I appreciate the input from everyone. I've found some great curriculum here on this board, but I've also seen a few pop up and everyone's excited about it, and then it fades into oblivion!

No, we started with the vocabulary and grammar books. I have the poetry book (which looks great) but haven't put it into the mix yet.

It is something that I do with the boys - sit between them at the table as we read the reading portions and I go over several examples, then they work on their own. It's something that I am making a priority for the next semester. Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, we have only used it for about a week now, but what we've done has been pleasant, well received, and challenging. I'm scheduling 1 hour per day 4 days per week (we have co-op on the 5th day). I'm hoping to get most of the way through the program by the end of the semester (not sure that will happen, though) so that we can begin the next level in the fall.

No, we started with the vocabulary and grammar books. I have the poetry book (which looks great) but haven't put it into the mix yet.

It is something that I do with the boys - sit between them at the table as we read the reading portions and I go over several examples, then they work on their own. It's something that I am making a priority for the next semester. Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, we have only used it for about a week now, but what we've done has been pleasant, well received, and challenging. I'm scheduling 1 hour per day 4 days per week (we have co-op on the 5th day). I'm hoping to get most of the way through the program by the end of the semester (not sure that will happen, though) so that we can begin the next level in the fall.

Thanks, Cynthia! Now, I just have to decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and try it!

We've been around the block a bit, and frankly I rarely am tempted by new resources because: (1) I don't have the $, and (2) I know our needs and style.

Not meaning to be offensive, but yes, there are people on this board who follow after the "flavor of the month." If they have the $ and time to do that, so be it.

Just wanted to step and let people who haven't already read about it a lot that there are steps to implementing the program, if you are planning to implement it. They are on the website in a download. You start with the grammar, once that is finished you start the grammar practice that will continue throughout the rest of the year. Then you begin adding in other books. There is a step process so you don't do all the books all the time nor do you need all the books right at once as far as purchasing. HTH. :)

Just wanted to step and let people who haven't already read about it a lot that there are steps to implementing the program, if you are planning to implement it. They are on the website in a download. You start with the grammar, once that is finished you start the grammar practice that will continue throughout the rest of the year. Then you begin adding in other books. There is a step process so you don't do all the books all the time nor do you need all the books right at once as far as purchasing. HTH. :)

YUP :iagree:! See my thread here about my order arriving yesterday - although I did order EVERYTHING at once -- just me, I guess...although I am planning my lessons a little into the future to try and accomodate time lost when our move back into our house (middle of January) and sitting with everything in front of me (I started last night) is a great help. I am constantly tweaking to pick up slack or give us some slack as demands on our time change literally on some days from minute to minute. :001_smile:

YUP :iagree:! See my thread here about my order arriving yesterday - although I did order EVERYTHING at once -- just me, I guess...although I am planning my lessons a little into the future to try and accomodate time lost when our move back into our house (middle of January) and sitting with everything in front of me (I started last night) is a great help. I am constantly tweaking to pick up slack or give us some slack as demands on our time change literally on some days from minute to minute. :001_smile:

I wasn't answering to any specific post but just a general flow. ;) I cannot afford to get all the books right now and don't want that to stop someone else from considering the program because of the overall cost of a year. It might also help whose who aren't quite sure, if they know they can do it in steps and stop if they don't like it, without the major cost investment of the whole program.

I do love that it is packaged that way as an option and usally love to get everything at once for just the reasons you mentioned. I am hoping to borrow a friends books until I can buy my own kit and kaboodle. :)