Menu

what is your favorite holiday movie?

I just got done watching, "The Christmas Shoes", with my 2 ds. We bawled through almost the entire movie!! :crying: I just want to go around hugging everyone right now!!

Now I am off to order the next one, "The Christmas Blessing", from the library. I hope it is just as awesome as the first movie!

What is your fave holiday movie?

I just got done watching, "The Christmas Shoes", with my 2 ds. We bawled through almost the entire movie!! :crying: I just want to go around hugging everyone right now!!

Now I am off to order the next one, "The Christmas Blessing", from the library. I hope it is just as awesome as the first movie!

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever with Loretta Swit. :D

Christmas in Conn.

The Bishop's Wife

Interesting factoid: Some years ago I was watching a documentary about Loretta Young and I learned that she and Cary Grant argued bitterly while The Bishop's Wife was being filmed over camera angles and each battling the other so that his or her 'best' side was used. I love learning stuff like that.:001_smile:

For pure schmaltzy, feel-good, American-cultural (non-religious) Christmas fun, these are my choices as I truly can not pick just one:

• It's a Wonderful Life
  • White Christmas
  • Holiday Inn
  • Meet Me in St. Louis
  • The Shop Around the Corner
  • You've Got Mail
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • A Christmas Story
  • Miracle on 34th Street (the original, not the remade recent version)
  • The Holiday
  • The Bishop's Wife

For meaningful Christian Christmas discussions:

• The Nativity Story is really, really beautiful and well done
  • It's a Wonderful Life has plenty of good themes about consumerism, etc. in it. Good table conversation. My husband HATES this movie.
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas - not really a movie, but still counts
  • A Christmas Carol aka Scrooge - The Alistair Sim version from 1951

A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart

It's A Wonderful Life

Miracle on 34th Street

The Santa Clause

These are my favorites, too. I also like:

The Santa Clause 2

A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

The Little Drummer Boy

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

The Family Man - (It's a Wonderful Life, only in reverse.)

The Nutcracker Suite - (Yes, even the one with Macaulay Culkin, but I think I would like to have a better version, as well.)

Finally, I think I found a new favorite this year:

Silent Night - Based on a true story from WWII Germany.

All of the Santa Clause moves esp the last one. ;) I am skeery.

Christams Vacation

Jim Carey's Grinch (Don't like the original...sorry ...the best thing that ever happened to that lame story is Martha Mae Whovier)

Elf (but the adoption language creeps me out)

And, if I have had a nice rum toddy, Turbo Man...or something like that.

I also do not hate It's a Wonderful Life

Edited by LibraryLover

I saw "The Christmas Shoes" last year, and there is no way I could ever watch it again. I cried during practically the whole thing also. Anything with kids suffering/parents dying-I cannot take it. It stays with me.

"It's a Wonderful Life" will always be my top pic. I love Jimmy Stewart, I love the humor of the movie, and it just makes me feel good.:001_smile:

So not going to fit in here, but ....

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Best Christmas movie ever!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have watched it at least 20 times since Thanksgiving. Sometimes I watch it in the middle of the year too. I can recite almost every line in the movie and my favorite, favorite, favorite part of the whole movie is when Clark is watching the old home movies in the attic. I love the song that is playing and the whole thing is very "Wonder Years"-esque with the whole home movie thing.

My next favorite part:

"And why is the carpet all wet TODD" (said in the most whiney Julia Louis Dreyfus voice)

"I don't know MARGO" (matching her whine).

Soooo many good things in that movie. LOVE it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dh's all time favorite Christmas movie is "It's A Wonderful Life."

The kids love Polar Express and A Christmas Story.

I just watched Fred Claus and I have a cousin that acts quite a bit like Fred so it cracked me up.

Eloise at Christmastime

We'll be watching the a video of the Nutcracker. I love, love Tchaikovsky.

A Christmas Carol

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (ANIMATED VERSION)

Mickey's Christmas Carol

The usuals: White Christmas (have to see Sisters, Sisters and Vera tap dance 100 miles per hour!). It's a Wonderful Life, all the Rankin-Bass puppet shows, A Christmas Story, Holiday Inn, Charlie Brown Christmas, Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Miracle on 34th Street, Bishop's Wife (not the Whitney Houston version).

There's one with John Boy called The Christmas Box. And I don't think my children have ever seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but I just ordered it from the library.

My husband would probably say Gremlins is a Christmas Classic. Where we be without the 80s? Somehow I just don't think homeschooling was quite the same in the 70s! Ha.

Polar Express, Blizzard.

I don't think my children have seen Home Alone or Elf. I just ordered Elf, too. I should make them watch Ernest Saves Christmas (ha ha). Ok, library has it, ordered that, too.

Great thread. I'm not doing much decorating this year but we've have lots of Christmas Movies to watch!