Menu

What were your Thanksgiving food hit or misses?

I made a big pile of roasted vegetables and there are none left! I cut up parsnips, brussels sprouts, red pepper, carrots, butternut squash, and onion. I steamed them in the microwave for about five minutes. Then drizzled some olive oil over them, sprinkled them with a little seasoned salt and pepper, and put them in the oven with the turkey for about an hour or so. So, so yummy!!! That will be a regular dish around here.

When I peeled my Okinawan sweet potatoes, and everyone saw that they were a deep purple, they were very skeptical. And they wondered where the orange sweet potatoes where (we weren't having orange). But after mashing them, and the 'polite' tries, just about everyone was sold on them, and I didn't even have any to take home!

I'd make them a lot more often, but they are pain to peel compared to regular potatoes. They aren't exactly round, more like a lot of in and out areas so it take longer to peel them.

This was the biggest hit of our night:

Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes with Applesauce

6 medium (2 pounds) sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 1/2 cups applesauce

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted (I used marshmellows instead.)

1. Place sweet potatoes in 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.

3. Sprinkle with nuts.

We bought a kosher turkey at Trader Joe's, and it is soo juicy and good! Yum.

Also, since I'm the only one who likes sweet potatoes, I never make them. But when I was buying the turkey, I noticed packages of roasted sweet potatoes (with maple syrup, pecans, and cranberries). I couldn't resist. Even dh liked them!

Wendi

Turkey! I'm thinking we will be having this again in the future! :D

My sister and her family dug up an old family recipe from her DH's side that was pretty novel and a big hit: Pumpkin Rolls. These were some sort of dinner rolls which were tied in a similar fashion to pretzels and were similar in color to Martin's Potato Rolls, but slightly more orange. They were extremely moist and I'm pretty sure everyone loved them. I certainly did! My sister didn't come equipped with the recipe so we are working on acquiring this from them. If anyone is interested, please let us know and we will post the recipe when it becomes available.

Of course everything MomsintheGarden prepared was a big hit. No misses on our menu! :thumbup:

The big hits here (everything was good but these were the different recipes).

Cheesy Double baked mashed potatoes

Whole cranberry sauce - I put both lemon and orange zest in it this year

Lemon Bunt Cake - It is GONE

Pecan Pie- not new but my 6 year old made them with me- two of 4 are already gone.

I ventured forth sans recipes this year. I concocted a caramel cream pumpkin pie and a cranberry wild rice dish for the first time. Both came out fairly well and I will repeat them again.

And thanks to the rest of you for some great sounding dishes to also try. I have been in that rut where it seems like we are eating the same old thing all the time. I feel much more inspired now.:)

This is a recipe that I've made before but it's sooooo easy and always goes over well.

Hot Spiced Fruit

Mix together

One 29 oz can pear slices, drained

One 29 oz can apricots, drained

One 29 oz can peach slices, drained

1/2 cup pecan halves, crumbled

¼ cup raisins

Pour in ½ small can (3 oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted.

Sprinkle with

1/3 cup brown sugar (or to taste)

½ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp cloves

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or heat in a crockpot until heated throughout.

This is our new hit!

Granny Kat's Pumpkin Roll

Rated:

Submitted By: Angela

Photo By: Tana

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Cook Time: 15 Minutes

Ready In: 55 Minutes

Servings: 10

"A sweetly spicy, pumpkin-flavored cake is spread with a silky rich cream cheese filling and rolled up like a pinwheel. For easy lifting, line your baking pan with parchment paper. Chill the cake to set before slicing."

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1 cup pumpkin puree

3 eggs

1 teaspoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,

softened

1/4 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.

Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar, and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.

Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.

When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately re-roll (not in the towel this time), and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com

Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/18/2009

It was both a hit and a miss. Grandma (MIL) made her signature lumpia (Filipino eggrolls) but she only brought one for each person! I don't know why she didn't bring more - she knows that they are the most popular thing on the table!

When I was growing up we had a neighbor that made these. Oh my goodness they were gooood. Do you have a recipe for them?

The turkey. I did a maple/apple cider brine this year and, because it was a large bird, tried a different roasting technique to cut down cooking time: 1/2 hour at 500F (the bird browned a rich chocolate colour), then just over 3 hours at 350F, tented. This, with only aromatics, an apple and some carrots and celery in the cavity. It was tender, juicy, tasty, and gorgeous.

Hit: the turkey turned out great. I used an oven bag--it still roasted, not steamed it. It was nice to not lift a lid or foil to see how it was doing.

Miss: We all like green bean casserole (yes, with canned cream of mushroom soup!), but I didn't have any french fried onions. I decided to try seasoned bread crumbs on top. I crushed some seasoned croutons, sprinkled those over the top and then drizzled it with butter. It was just so-so. Eventually it was almost all eaten, including one meal of leftovers. I think there's still a tiny bowl of it in the fridge, though.

The turkey was FANTASTIC! I was worried, because he was over a year old, and we had just never gotten around to butchering him. We brined him using Martha Stewart's recipe. Then Dh fried him. MMMMmmmmmm.....It was really good.

Dh also made FIVE pies that were all a hit. So were the mashed potatoes. There were none of them left over at all.

My sister's cranberries were not quite as popular this year.

Hits: EVERYTHING!! Can you believe it! This is the first year that has happened and oddly enough it was the first year that every single item was gluten, dairy and soy free! Ds1 is the only one with the dietary restrictions so I was so worried that the rest of the fam would not like the meal, but everyone loved it. A truly blessed Thanksgiving it was.

All the food we had was wonderful. The misses were those things that He Who Was in Charge forgot to assign.

There was no cranberry sauce (the only cranberries to be found were in the martinis) and there was no dressing. We also forgot a green salad.

Even so, it was a fantastic day and we'll make up for the omissions next year.

:)