Menu

The new leggings/skinny jean trend-anyone joining in?

This thread is killing me :lol: I have to ask, though, what are the flipped up bangs??? I did live through this in the 80s, and I'm not remembering that particular fashion phenomenon.

I'm still waiting for the multipurpose clothing to come back. Do you remember the stretchy cotton bits? The tube skirt could be a tube top could be a belt could be a headband could be a cowl? I remember an entire store in the mall that sold that kind of fashion, and I would always wander in there, muse for a few minutes, and then wander straight back out, because I could never figure out what anything was supposed to be!

And yeah, this size 16 bod will be sticking with my nicely constructed, dark denim trouser jeans, thanks!

UNITS - from Penney's. Loved it! A hundred different look with 5 different clothing items. My SIL and I were talking about this a few weeks ago. She still has her units from highschool. And that was more than a little while ago.

I don't do skinny jeans. I don't do capris either. I won't even say the word "leggings".

No capris, either? Shoot, I was so tickled when I learned the word "capri" since I'd been wearing them my whole life but calling them high-waters. That excitement lasted about 10 seconds, since I then discovered that pants were now being sold in "tall" sizes. So capris came in just as I finally, for the first time in my life, had the option to to wear pants that were long enough. It put me in a quandary, I tell you.

Cyndi Lauper was feminine in hers. How about Madonna?

What kind of shoes are these girls wearing with their fishnets and shorts? Its not the same knee-hi boots that they are wearing with the skinny pants is it?

These girls, the ones I've seen, are wearing ballet flats.

Ooh. That reminds me. Who wore "jellies"? I did not, but all my coolest friends did. I think those are back in again, too. I did, however, wear boat shoes -- and since we lived on an actual boat, that made sense.

I resist this look at all costs. Unless you have the figure of Twiggy, your legs look fat in this and if you have the figure of Twiggy, you look like a malnourished stick.

Resist skinny leg looks. They are anti-woman.

Please tell me you are joking..

I'm a size 2/4. I wear skinny jeans and legging all of the time, and I don't look like a malnourished stick. That seems like a rotten thing to say.

I'm thin and curvy.

I was born with the body I inherited from my grandmother, what gives anyone the right to mock that?

Pants aren't anti woman. Women don't need men, fashion, diet fads etc. to bring us down, we have each other to do that.

Why are skinny or good looking women an acceptable target by other women? :confused:

I do agree though that stir up legging are frightening, they're right up there with the tops that snap at the crotch. Scary stuff.

DH was browsing the sales fliers about an hour ago and asked me if I wanted leggings! Ahhh... no.... I told him I already made that fashion statement when I was in middle school. Then I come here, and it's a thread! :lol: I've been laughing hysterically at some of these responses!

No plans for leggings here... I'm a bit bigger than I was back-in-the-day!

Safety pins, no. But I could probably still remember how to peg my pants. :D

Back in jr high, I used to wear pegged pants, boat shoes untied with knots in the laces, and two pairs of socks with a different one on top of each foot. :lol:

I rocked that look! I was a pegged pants, two color socks wearing fool. :D I even used a safety pin at times.

Yes, I had jellies. My sister loved them.

I'm a size 2/4. I wear skinny jeans and legging all of the time, and I don't look like a malnourished stick. That seems like a rotten thing to say.

I'm thin and curvy.

I was born with the body I inherited from my grandmother, what gives anyone the right to mock that?

Pants aren't anti woman. Women don't need men, fashion, diet fads etc. to bring us down, we have each other to do that.

Why are skinny or good looking women an acceptable target by other women? :confused:

I do think she was joking in a tongue in cheek sort of way.

I'm not sure why thin women are an acceptable target, but it can be irritating. Mostly, I ignore it but I see it all the time.

The other jeans thread had a comment about a certain brand of jeans being made for "real women." Oh well.

My favorite is when women say right to your face, "You're so thin. I hate you." or "You wear a size 0?! You're a B****."

Yeah, that's nice to hear.

Back to the fun....

Leggings.....I haven't gotten a pair yet. However, I would only wear them with dresses or skirts as something warmer than tights. I do not like the leggings with tunic/long sweater look. I don't like long sweaters.

My mom just got back from NYC and said EVERYONE is wearing them there. We're just starting to see them on the teens here (upstate NY). I broke down and bought a pair of black leggings and dark skinny jeans today, and some cute black ballet flats. I plan to wear both with long sweater dresses, kind of like the two looks on the left here, but with cute flats rather than boots:

http://stylebakery.com/ask-us/dresses_or_tunics_to_wear_with_black_leggings_.html

(My sweaters are a tiny bit longer though.)

I must admit I am a little nervous about being ahead of the trend for my age group and just ending up looking like a 40-yr old trying to look like a teen! I'm about a size 8, so the fit is decent, but I don't want to look like I'm trying to look too "young." I did see leggings and sweater dresses in the women's department at Penney's, so I'm thinking it must be going mainstream, and maybe we'll start to see people my age getting them for Christmas and wearing them?!

So has this trend hit your area yet? Are you wearing them?

Well, if it helps any, I wear leggings with a sweater dress and knee high boots for winter workwear. I actually do it because leggings are warmer than tights, but hey... good to know I'm in style.

I hadn't thought of wearing them with flats and a tunic, but that would be cute weekend wear or if you dress it up, perhaps party wear?

ETA: In light of the previous comments, I thought I'd add that I'm a fat chick with an hour-glass figure. (6-feet tall and a size 14-16). I think I look **** good.

Edited by Audrey

I'm thin and curvy.

We shared our opinion! You are wrong - it's the FAT women that have to deal with the mocking NOT the skinny women! :tongue_smilie:

Well this thread explains the young woman I saw at church today. I thought she forgot her skirt. She was wearing a top with tights and boots -- nothing between her boots and her top.

I saw this at the mall a lot when I was there the other day (rare for me to go there!) I could NOT believe how some teens are wearing the leggings, or these other leggings that are even thinner-you could see very curve of their butt-it must be so hard for men not to look there!

There is a lot of extreme immodesty possible with leggings-a huge drawback to the trend!

LOL! I've always heard that, too. I am sitting out for the same reason. Also because my legs are not as good as they were in the 80's!

Won't be wearing the stirrup pants, either. :001_huh:

As an aside, are any other old moms troubled by the FLAT HAIR that people are sporting with these clothes??? If you are going to wear chunky plastic jewelry, sweater dresses, and leggings, please invest in some hair spray and possibly a spiral perm.

Not because it is the style, but because you are very distracting to those of us who used to know how to finish the look. The hair is half of it.

I wish we could "like" posts on here the way we do on facebook. Since we can't I'll just make do with this....:iagree:

If you're gonna do the 80's at least do it right! Now come here and let me help you tease that hair up a bit.........

My mom just got back from NYC and said EVERYONE is wearing them there. We're just starting to see them on the teens here (upstate NY). I broke down and bought a pair of black leggings and dark skinny jeans today, and some cute black ballet flats. I plan to wear both with long sweater dresses, kind of like the two looks on the left here, but with cute flats rather than boots:

http://stylebakery.com/ask-us/dresses_or_tunics_to_wear_with_black_leggings_.html

(My sweaters are a tiny bit longer though.)

I must admit I am a little nervous about being ahead of the trend for my age group and just ending up looking like a 40-yr old trying to look like a teen! I'm about a size 8, so the fit is decent, but I don't want to look like I'm trying to look too "young." I did see leggings and sweater dresses in the women's department at Penney's, so I'm thinking it must be going mainstream, and maybe we'll start to see people my age getting them for Christmas and wearing them?!

So has this trend hit your area yet? Are you wearing them?

Haven't read all the replies but skinny jeans only look good on skinny people and even then, it's kind of dubious. They really aren't flattering.

If you insist, you may want to avoid wearing a wide belt to shape your sweater dress. That would scream 1980s.

Who wore "jellies"? I did not, but all my coolest friends did. I think those are back in again, too.

My DD INSISTED that I buy a pair of jellies for myself to match the pair I bought for her this past summer. I felt a bit silly wearing them now that I'm in my early 30's but they are surprisingly comfortable. :tongue_smilie:

My favorite is when women say right to your face, "You're so thin. I hate you." or "You wear a size 0?! You're a B****."

Yeah, that's nice to hear.

I had a gaggle of women come up to me in the gym one time while I was minding my own business on the Stairmaster and start harassing me. At first I tried to defuse the situation with humor (like answering "Do you eat?" with a joke that my DH wouldn't complain so much about our grocery bills if that were true) and then politely saying that my doctor considered my weight healthy. But they kept at it so finally I lost my temper and said that if they spent as much time exercising as they did harassing me they wouldn't be such fat a****. :tongue_smilie:

It wasn't very Christian of me to say that, but you should've seen the shocked looks on their faces! :lol:

Snort...:iagree: My youngest sister is still waiting for big-bangs to reappear. And shoulder pads are a must!

As an aside, are any other old moms troubled by the FLAT HAIR that people are sporting with these clothes??? If you are going to wear chunky plastic jewelry, sweater dresses, and leggings, please invest in some hair spray and possibly a spiral perm.

Not because it is the style, but because you are very distracting to those of us who used to know how to finish the look. The hair is half of it.

I'm not skinny, but I am petite. And yes, I do wear skinny jeans and pants. They're a good look on petite women, too! (Wide pants are very shortening on me...:tongue_smilie:)

That being said, I am NOT embracing the entire 80's fashion thing again. Yikes! I wasn't even into it back then! I like to think of the skinny pants in terms of fashion ala Audrey Hepburn. Here's the best image I could find of her:

http://www.kitschy-kitschy-coo.com/uploaded_images/Audrey-Hepburn-And-Her-Yorkie-On-Bike-710816.JPG

Audrey Hepburn[/b]. Here's the best image I could find of her:

http://www.kitschy-kitschy-coo.com/uploaded_images/Audrey-Hepburn-And-Her-Yorkie-On-Bike-710816.JPG

I TOTALLY agree with what you said-it's not a revisiting the 80s look for me at all-if you wear it right, it's a clean, classic, classy line that does work well with my body type.

Skinny jeans are for slim hipped women. I have friend who is about 39 years old and she wears them with boots and looks AMAZING! But she's got naturally slim hips--she has a boyish figure.

I see these poor teenaged girls trying to wear skinny jeans and they have regular hips, and then they wear them with their flat shoes (not sure what they are -- they sort of look like Chucks). With the big hips and the tiny legs/ankles and the big feet, they look like the grinch.

I had a gaggle of women come up to me in the gym one time while I was minding my own business on the Stairmaster and start harassing me. At first I tried to defuse the situation with humor (like answering "Do you eat?" with a joke that my DH wouldn't complain so much about our grocery bills if that were true) and then politely saying that my doctor considered my weight healthy. But they kept at it so finally I lost my temper and said that if they spent as much time exercising as they did harassing me they wouldn't be such fat a****. :tongue_smilie:

It wasn't very Christian of me to say that, but you should've seen the shocked looks on their faces! :lol:

Holy smokes! I shouldn't be shocked having been on the receiving end of more than my fair share of nasty and meanspirited skinny comments over the years. But I'm shocked! I can't imagine given your polite way of trying to divert their spite first you had any choice but to strike back.

I see these poor teenaged girls trying to wear skinny jeans and they have regular hips, and then they wear them with their flat shoes (not sure what they are -- they sort of look like Chucks). With the big hips and the tiny legs/ankles and the big feet, they look like the grinch.

There are times I just want to cry when I see teen girls with their bellies hanging out between their trousers and shirt. Do they not look in the mirror or do they actually think that looks good??? Talk about fashion victims! Still I suppose I was probably a fashion victim in my youth. But at least I kept my belly covered!!

I'm thin and curvy.

I do agree though that stir up legging are frightening, they're right up there with the tops that snap at the crotch. Scary stuff.

Calm down! :001_smile: I'm not a big woman; my nickname was "The Blade". I just don't like them on any figure type. To some, I'm "thin enough to wear skinny jeans", but I really don't think they look good on anyone. I'm not bashing thin-ness, to be sure.