Menu

Do you give your kids work over the holiday weekend?

coffeefreak

Like a project or reading assignment. I'm thinking about doing this for the first time with my 4th grader. She's going to have reading over Thanksgiving, but I'm thinking about giving her a project over Christmas, but that kind of makes more work for me, doesn't it?:lol:

What do you think?

Since we're going to the in-laws at Thanksgiving, we'll probably take that day off, but not the whole weekend. It'll be lessons as usual.

For Yule (from Dec. 20 to Jan1) we don't do lessons, but we will spend extra time reading the myths, doing ritual, baking together, watching holiday movies, getting together with family, etc. Halting lessons is part of making it sacred time.

We've been going strong for 3 months - and I think having a week off (next week) will do us both good. Time to visit family and relax. At Christmas, we take off from the 23 - Jan 1. Just like an adult needing to take 'vacation', we need the down time to get refreshed for the long stretch until spring break.

We changed direction mid term and lost quite a bit of time for that. I do not want to be doing school all summer. So, Thanksgiving day will be off. Friday will probably be a light day. Otherwise, lots of reading aloud. Christmas will be similiar. More time off, but not more than a week, perhaps even less. Fortunately, a lot of the work we do now the dc enjoy.

If you're lucky enough to have a partner who can take some time off after Christmas/before New year's, it's a good time to break out all the board games. Leave them on the dinning room table...or near it. lol

See if there is a cheap/free version of The Nutcracker or A Christmas Carol at some high school or community theater. Maybe go to a museum. Compare and contrast Dickens A Christmas Carol with the muppets Christmas Carol, with Bill Murrry's. lol There is so much to do that is fun and brings families together; plus the kids are still 'learning'.

It's not just about assignments anymore. :D

No, but mine does a lot of reading and art work on her own during her free time. I am happy to let her do some unstructured things over the holidays. We get quite a bit done on our scheduled school days, so I don't feel bad about taking some time off from scheduled activities. I like to give mine time to spend with family over the holidays without feeling like there is yet more school work looming. We'll get back to that soon enough.

Not really. We're driving 16 hours away for Thanksgiving and taking 2 days to do it (and 2 days to come back), so I'm taking the math book with me. I'm also tucking a couple of Pilgrim books in my bag, but they aren't for school.

For Christmas - Say Hello to SKI SCHOOL. Yes, I put my kids in ski school for 6 hours a day for a whole week, pay big money for it, and count it as SCHOOL while sit in a lodge and drink coffee and read a book. mmmmmm - ski school. But other than that, No School No School. I need No School - except a few math problems to stem the math meltdown that will happen on the first 5 days back to school after Christmas. but that doesn't really count. Its really just my problem. Wow, I need a break.

Is it Thanksgiving vacation yet?

My kids read voraciously so, no, I wouldn't dream of assigning reading.

My kids will make huge messes with craft supplies, read books, write a letter to Grandpa (he is sending my daughter money for her mission trip), and play outside. Sounds good to me.