Menu

Dh has a job! In another state - TX

So tell me about texas ladies. I know that according to HSLDA they are as green as Oklahoma as far as regulations. IS that played out as friendly as it's written? Anything I should know?

I have several dc in music lessons... anywhere like a home school band that is affordable? swim lessons? dance?

I'm moving to a city near Houston. If you want more info, please PM.

We are currently planning to put our house on the market in January if things go as well as prayed for. Hope to be moved down to TX no later than mid April.

And heads up would be greatly appreciated.

We're all :party: and :willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

:hurray::party::cheers2: You are so lucky. Where is TX? They is so much to do in all the various parts of TX and it is one of the best places to homeschool. I miss TX and sometimes wish I could go home. Congratulations! I hope you guys find the perfect place and are wonderfully happy there.

HSLDA and THSC have regular contacts with school officials who get pushy, but those officials ALWAYS back down because they don't have a leg to stand on. Usually, those contacts happen when people withdraw their dc from the local public school; since you're coming from another state, I doubt you'll have any problems.

We have not had any issues thus far here in Tx. We did join THSC just in case we ever do need their legal services, but they also offer discounts and such on things like computers and educational magazines.

There are plenty of homeschool groups throughout Texas, but I don't know what is near Houston. In such a big city with so many suburbs surely there is a band or some musical opportunity around there. We have that in our smaller community, so your choices should be greater.

Here is an early welcome to Texas from another Okie.

I live in NW Houston area. Which is a great area to live in. I can't help you with the music part, but there are places for swimming lessons close to where we are. My daughter takes theater classes nearby as well. There are lots of opportunities in Houston, I am sure that you would be able to find plenty of the activities that you are looking for.

We haven't ever had any problems with school officials/CPS or anyone else. There are so many homeschoolers here that most people don't even give you a second look when you are out and about. Except maybe other homeschooler's who are looking for more homeschoolers.:D

I just recently met a very nice family while shopping with my ds at GameStop during the day. She was new to the area and looking for hs groups in the area.

DH and I are transplants from OK and have NEVER looked back! (well--except to visit family).

Texas's laws are even more lax than OK's home schooling laws. No accountability... just teach Reading, Writing, Math and Good Citizenship... but no one checks up on you and you don't have to take tests... colleges are open to homeschooled students--and in many areas CC is free or discounted for dual enrolled high school students.

The Houston area has many homeschool groups.

We have not found a homeschool band in our area--but we live in the boonies. My dd plays with a community orchestra--the man sitting next to her is in his 80's!

We just found out that ATSSB will now allow homeschooled students to participate in Regional solo competitions all the way up to ALL STATE!!! They need a public or private school's band director to sponsor them. My dd will play with the local high school in their Christmas and Spring concerts--and will practice with them 2-3 times a week (but they are her FRIENDS as she attended PS and was in band from 6th to 9th grade)..she starts Monday!!!!

Guest Cindie2dds

Welcome to Texas! The laws here are very easily. There's no registering, tests to take, nothing. When the local school district sent me a notice to enroll my daughter for school this year it felt great to just ignore it.

Some public schools are really good about band and other activities, I would just call. Very homeschool friendly. :)

I have lived here all my life and hs dd for nine years,

DO not have to tell the schools you home school , because your kids have never been in the school district here.

GOv. perry is for homeschoolers and I hope he gets re elected. donot know how KB hutchins feels. about it. she would be running against him.

what city will you move to?

Tx...our Tx...

Oh, wait. You probably didn't want poetry. ;)

Yeah...we don't like the weather or the mosquitos, but hs'ing is great. I won't say people are friendly, because I don't have much to compare it to. I have a feeling I'd experience culture shock elsewhere, though.

I think Houston is a great area to be in--the big hs conference every yr is there, you're close to Nasa & Galveston. I lived there for a few yrs as a kid & used to go back a couple of times a yr to see my dad before he died.

Glad to have you!

Be sure to get your bumper sticker that says:

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as quick as I could!"

My dh was born in Texas and has the mounted birth certificate on the wall to prove it.

And yes, he says he's sorry to have left, but should get point for bring 10 "recruits" with him on his return.:D

I lived in Texas... (Longview) and then Tulsa and then back to Garland. It was a long time ago, but I really liked it. I have friends that graduated HS in the Dallas Metro area.... but are still involved with HS.

I think you'll find it a great spot to live and HS. I've been in Houston a few times... and think that minus the part about the weather... it's a nice spot.

I went to my first "Missionary Baptist" church there... What fun!! I really liked the people and the way the congregation converses in response to the pastor (during the sermon, mind you)...

Carrie:-)

My dh was born in Texas and has the mounted birth certificate on the wall to prove it.

And yes, he says he's sorry to have left, but should get point for bring 10 "recruits" with him on his return.:D

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Martha, congratulations on the great news!

The director travels around town, holding practices in different areas. Then they all get together for performances. Here's a link to their site.

Instruments of Praise

As others have said, Texas is incredibly easy to homeschool in. Our kids have never been in the public school system here and we haven't ever notified anybody of anything. It's great.

Be sure to get your bumper sticker that says:

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as quick as I could!"

I don't really have any experience to add, I just had to click in since we're moving to the panhandle of TX in just 2 weeks! I'm so excited about the easy homeschooling laws there - we're coming from NY. I'm all excited today because I sent in my last quarterly report today, FOREVER! Anyway congrats on the job and good luck with your move. :D

I know absolutely nothing about living in Texas, but I just popped in to say I am jealous. I've wanted to move for a long time and Texas has been at the top of my wish list even if it meant we'd all melt into puddles the first summer.

Congrats on you DH's new job!

Doing the happy dance for you.:party:

Edited by akmommy
to delete a stray !