Menu

Baby is breech in late pregnancy

I'm almost 36 weeks, doctor is talking inducing at 37ish due to some heart issues for me that are getting just too much strain with pregnancy. When I went for my routine appt, baby has flipped from head down (head somewhat toward left hip and mostly upright but bottom slightly toward my right side/ribs to breech with his head right at my ribs on the right, possibly footling breech.

So, looks like we'll be scheduling a c-sect, but still trying to turn him.

I'm doing the slant board type exercises, will start seeing a chiro that does the Webster technique tomorrow, and playing soft music at my pubic bone.

I'm short waisted, and he's rather crowded in there as far as getting perfectly up and down. When doing the slant board stuff, he gets transverse with feet headed down. Then works his way back to breech. Honestly, the slant board stuff kinda messes with my heart and gives me a little head ache. Ugh. Can't do it long or often.

He's about 5lbs 10oz and will be 36 weeks on Sunday. C-sect day is most likely on the 16th, a little over 37 weeks. I'm limited on time adn need to know what I can do to get him vertex, and stay that way, QUICK.

:bigear:

Check the information at Spinning Babies - there are things other than just the slant board, as far as exercises go.

Acupuncture and moxibustion have been show to have an excellent success rate.

Is your dr willing to attempt an external version, if other methods don't work? If not, will s/he refer you to someone who will? Sometimes you may be able to find a midwife who is willing to do an external version, even if you are not her client.

Good luck, and I hope he turns for you!

The only thing that worked for my stubborn little guy was an external version. It was painful, but I avoided a c-section (I am a wimp about surgery). I don't know if that would be more stressful on your heart than a c-section, but it might be worth asking about if nothing else works.

The only thing that worked for my stubborn little guy was an external version. It was painful, but I avoided a c-section (I am a wimp about surgery). I don't know if that would be more stressful on your heart than a c-section, but it might be worth asking about if nothing else works.

Yeah, be careful who you have do it though. Make sure it's someone who has done it with good success rates before, not someone trying it for the first time. My husbands cousin is in a wheel chair for life and several limbs are messed up because of 'mistakes' made while doing external version (which didn't work) and a breech vaginal delivery afterwards. I don't remember which one did the damage, the delivery or trying to turn the baby, but either way be careful.

I am a hippie type of birther, just wanted you to know that before my suggestion.

I would honestly try these things that were already suggested

"Check the information at Spinning Babies - there are things other than just the slant board, as far as exercises go.

Acupuncture and moxibustion have been show to have an excellent success rate."

I would just add visualization and talking to your baby. I believe our minds have total control over our bodies and visualization can really help. My youngest was breech until 37 weeks. She was born at 39 weeks weighing 6 lbs 14 ounces so I believe your baby is probably still small enough to turn on their own. Good LUCK and take care of your heart (stress will not help).

Sending Calm Baby turning vibes your way

I was born breech. The doctor reached in and guided each foot out, then each arm, and voila! Here I am! :D (I know nothing about any other technique, so I always wonder, why don't they just do what mom's doctor did?)

This is how my daughter (Little Miss A-New-Position-Every-Ultrasound-but-None-of-them-Correct) was delivered, but her twin brother came out the proper way first and sort of opened everything up for her. It was my understanding that dilation often stalls in breech deliveries, because there isn't the pressure of the baby's head to help.

Yeah, be careful who you have do it though. Make sure it's someone who has done it with good success rates before, not someone trying it for the first time. My husbands cousin is in a wheel chair for life and several limbs are messed up because of 'mistakes' made while doing external version (which didn't work) and a breech vaginal delivery afterwards. I don't remember which one did the damage, the delivery or trying to turn the baby, but either way be careful.

Brachial plexus injuries are usually caused by care provider mismanaging breech births, not by the actual position of the baby. An ignorant or untrained care provider may pull on the baby, try to manually extract or reposition the baby, or use forceps on the baby -- any of which can cause serious injury. Injury from hands-off breech birth isn't significantly more likely than injury from a vertex birth.

The first rule of breech birth is HANDS OFF THE BABY. The second rule of breech birth is STAND AND DELIVER! Don't intervene unless absolutely necessary and get that mama vertical. Home birth may actually be safer for a breech baby, because most hospitals respect neither of those two rules.

I agree with all the suggestions given to you thus far. Ds1 was transverse and the chiropractic adjustments helped he turned just a little while before I gave birth.

The only other suggestion I can add is to have your dh get down, er, there and talk to the baby, maybe read a story or sing a song. He probably will feel really silly and so might you, but for some reason babies love daddy's voice.

If it gives you any hope, I had good success turning my baby, who was posterior at the time, with Webster techniques from a chiro. Two sessions and he was totally turned around. That was in the early 30's for weeks, somewhere around where you are, but with a much bigger baby. (He was born 11 lb 1 oz, hehe.) I'm short-waisted too.

This is how my daughter (Little Miss A-New-Position-Every-Ultrasound-but-None-of-them-Correct) was delivered, but her twin brother came out the proper way first and sort of opened everything up for her. It was my understanding that dilation often stalls in breech deliveries, because there isn't the pressure of the baby's head to help.

Oh yes, dilation stalls. I've had what they call prodromal labor with the last couple babies. And by this point, I've been dilated usually and in and out of labor. I have been in and out of labor with this one already and b/c his head isn't down, I'm quite soft and "ready", just no progress whatsoever. At least with the last one, I was already dilating so it wasn't so frustrating to labor for 3 hours here and there. LOL

Found a chiro that is certified to do the Webster Technique and he happens to be 5 minutes down the road! And with dh in Rn school full time and this being baby 4, looking at c-sect soon, he is willing to work with us on cost too. I see him late tomorrow morning.

I didn't mention before, but this is my 2nd VBAC (well, I hope so anyway) so I think they've ruled out external version for that reason...I'm not certain though. Seems like that could be rough on the scar even more so than labor.

I'm going to get on spinningbabies tonight and see what else I can find besides the slant board stuff. I did get him to turn a bit like he was making his way down, but his leg is stretched out and I don't know if he is able to make the turn with it like that. If that foot weren't aimed at my cervix, I think he'd make the turn! He is completely back at my ribs now with his head and he's back with a vengence. LOL Must be mad since I tried a cold pack where his head is while I was inverted. He didn't budge...stubborn like daddy.:D

If it gives you any hope, I had good success turning my baby, who was posterior at the time, with Webster techniques from a chiro. Two sessions and he was totally turned around. That was in the early 30's for weeks, somewhere around where you are, but with a much bigger baby. (He was born 11 lb 1 oz, hehe.) I'm short-waisted too.

THAT is a big baby. They said my last one would've been 9-10lbs had he gone full term. He was my earliest and largest baby. I'm 5''2', 105lbs soaking wet pre-pregnancy, so I was shocked by how big he was! That's plenty for me!! This one they say is on route to be about 8-9lbs full term, so he is a bit smaller. (Can't say I'm not happy about that!) I can't imagine an 11lb baby...although my Bradley class instructor has had babies all around 12lbs and 24in long without going over her due date. :ohmy: Your experience is encouraging!

I use my husband ipod and earphones. I put on really strong classical music (I used Litz piano last time) and then position the earphones right about my pubic bone. It took about 3 minutes before my kiddo flipped head down. Every morning and night I would play classical music, opera, hymns, etc and at night I would play strong piano. She stayed head down for the rest of my pregnancy.

Might be worth a try for you! :) If it works be prepared for a stomach contortion show unlike any you have seen before!!

The only other suggestion I can add is to have your dh get down, er, there and talk to the baby, maybe read a story or sing a song. He probably will feel really silly and so might you, but for some reason babies love daddy's voice.

Oh yes! Dh would sit between my legs (I was reclined back on the sofa) and play the guitar each night. She loved it and would mellow right out. :) She still does every time he plays even now 2 years later.

I went to doc on Monday... try to induce labor with stripping membranes... they couldn't... then he did a quick ultrasound and she was breech. So, we scheduled the CSection for that week (thurs).

When they delivered her... SHE WAS in the CORRECT Position. She flipped the day before the delivery. Lil' stinker.

Try things... but also, as in my case, she flipped right on her own.

I would just add visualization and talking to your baby. I believe our minds have total control over our bodies and visualization can really help. My youngest was breech until 37 weeks. She was born at 39 weeks weighing 6 lbs 14 ounces so I believe your baby is probably still small enough to turn on their own. Good LUCK and take care of your heart (stress will not help).

Sending Calm Baby turning vibes your way

:iagree: This is a breech turning visualization that I've known to help mamas get their babies to turn.

I went to doc on Monday... try to induce labor with stripping membranes... they couldn't... then he did a quick ultrasound and she was breech. So, we scheduled the CSection for that week (thurs).

When they delivered her... SHE WAS in the CORRECT Position. She flipped the day before the delivery. Lil' stinker.

Try things... but also, as in my case, she flipped right on her own.

Good reason to double check before the surgery, eh? ;)

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm also due the first week of December...and baby was head up at my midwife appointment yesterday (she recommended the spinningbabies website). I'm seeing an OB also -- that visit is tomorrow and breech babies are my topic! I'm 99.999% sure I don't want to vaginally deliver breech (based on a friend's experience and the outcome).

DH was able to talk to him last night with his low voice aimed right at my pubic bone and little man turned for him! He turned back breech again about 10 minutes later, but at least I know he can do it!

Due to heart issues, (heart rate up to 180 this morning...MY heart rate), we might have to deliver earlier than planned to avoid meds getting to baby, or take meds and keep him baking but know that he could have some side effects from the meds, and most likely do a c-section anyway b/c we don't know if my heart can handle the labor now. No one knows what's going on with my heart, just that it's getting worse for no obvious reason. It's been mentioned to consider an adrenal tumor or other problems that affect my heart, but no originating with a heart issue. God knows and it's all planned out. I am just ready to have him safe in my arms and starting to think I don't care how he gets there. I still want my visit to the chiro though b/c I know it will feel so good. LOL Ahhh....lower back and hip pain relief...nnniiiiicccceeeee.:lol:

Since this is your heart, it sounds like a C-section is the safest way to go unless there's a miracle (but how would they know if they haven't found the cause?) God saw me through my 3 sections, and I wanted natural births so badly I considered a VBAC after 2 sections. I'll be praying for you!

Edited by Karin

My youngest dd was breached at 36 weeks. She turned on her own. If you are getting a C section, does it matter if baby is breached or not?

!

No, it doesn't, and I think it might even be easier if the baby's head hasn't engaged, but am not sure. And if the baby hasn't been in the birth canal, it has a lovely, round head :).

Home birth may actually be safer for a breech baby, because most hospitals respect neither of those two rules.

But for some breech births, home deliver is much more dangerous, particularly if it's the head being in the wrong position and either the head is large or a woman's pelvic size is too small.

My sister isn't that big inside, and after her first C-section had to be induced early so her babies would fit. But one of her classmates, who is much shorter & tinier in build, easily gave birth to large babies due to her internal measurements.

Home births are fabulous when everything and everybody is healthy and the sizes work together. But if there is anything not right, then the risks of trouble can be much higher. There is no perfect place to have every baby :). My mother would have died in a home birth.

My youngest dd was breached at 36 weeks. She turned on her own. If you are getting a C section, does it matter if baby is breached or not?

PS. my oldest was born at exactly 37 weeks cause my water broke! She was 5lbs 13oz!!

Right now, the c-sect is because he is breech.

And my youngest was born healthy as could be at 37 weeks for no obvious reason...7lbs 8oz!! :001_smile:

A home birth would be great, but I'm a VBAC and have had bleeding problems in my previous delivery. No one is allowed legally to deliver VBAC's at home in Arkansas, but some lay MW's will do it.

Baby is head down but posterior. Still trying to get him just right!! Looks like Webster's Technique is just what I needed. Will go back tomorrow. He is still flipping sideways here and there, but seems to return to head down after a little while each time. I'm hopeful! If we get heart stuff figured out then I think we'll have little man here soon via natural VBAC.

But for some breech births, home deliver is much more dangerous, particularly if it's the head being in the wrong position and either the head is large or a woman's pelvic size is too small.

My sister isn't that big inside, and after her first C-section had to be induced early so her babies would fit. But one of her classmates, who is much shorter & tinier in build, easily gave birth to large babies due to her internal measurements.

Home births are fabulous when everything and everybody is healthy and the sizes work together. But if there is anything not right, then the risks of trouble can be much higher. There is no perfect place to have every baby :). My mother would have died in a home birth.

You do know that cephelopelvic disproportion is incredibly rare and almost exclusively iatrogenic, now that we have access to plenty of vitamin D and rickets is no longer epidemic?

You do know that cephelopelvic disproportion is incredibly rare and almost exclusively iatrogenic, now that we have access to plenty of vitamin D and rickets is no longer epidemic?

True. In my family, though, we deal with large heads from my dad's side with not-so-large pelvises from my mother's side; rickets and lack of vitamin D weren't even part of the picture for any of the people in question, and my example came from my family :). My dad's mother delivered large babies with big heads with no problem, but my parents came from 2 different relatively isolated (one by geography, the other because they married within their faith and that was in their ethnic group for a long time) gene pools and that has showed up in a number of areas, not just this.

The fact remains that there is no perfect place for everyone to deliver their babies. There are negligent midwives just as there are negligent doctors; OTOH, there are excellent midwives just as there are excellent doctors. Ultimately, not every situation can be foreseen, and I refuse to get on the bandwagon for delivering at home or in the hospital, but would love to see more birthing centers out there where medical backup is there if, and only if, needed.

I just have to say that anyone else looking for ways to turn a breech baby, seriously try a chiropractor that is experienced with the webster technique. Lil' man turned the night after my afternoon appt with the chiro....ONE visit! He has moved all over and around, but tends to go back to having his little feet up top every time now. His head isn't all the way down yet, kinda aimed at my left hip, but so much better than breech! Not to mention, my hips and lower back feel wonderful!

My OB doesn't believe me that he's not breech anymore, and a L&D nurse actually laughed at me last night when I told her...my u/s from just a few days ago confirmed breech...so they aren't believing this chiro business. LOL I promise it works!

I just have to say that anyone else looking for ways to turn a breech baby, seriously try a chiropractor that is experienced with the webster technique. Lil' man turned the night after my afternoon appt with the chiro....ONE visit! He has moved all over and around, but tends to go back to having his little feet up top every time now. His head isn't all the way down yet, kinda aimed at my left hip, but so much better than breech! Not to mention, my hips and lower back feel wonderful!

My OB doesn't believe me that he's not breech anymore, and a L&D nurse actually laughed at me last night when I told her...my u/s from just a few days ago confirmed breech...so they aren't believing this chiro business. LOL I promise it works!

:thumbup: Glad your little guy turned!

I wonder why your Doc & nurse are so skeptical. That's really too bad. They are going to confirm position before they go ahead with a C-section-based-on-breech-presentation plan, right?

There is no way to tell, but what is known is that babies in breech positions are more likely to have neurological issues to start with.

Certainly not all - some are in that position because of cord or placenta placement, personal preference, shape of the uterus..... but there is a dramatically higher incidence of neuro issues in breech babies. It's not the breech position that causes the problem but the other way around.

K

:iagree:

My babies have preferred oblique positions, leaning towards transverse. But I saw a chiro through my last trimester with my 4th and baby positioning was so much better. AND my ligaments stayed nice and loose, almost no back or hip pain at all even up to 17 days past due. ;)

I woudl assume they will recheck his position prior to doing a c-section, but if they don't plan too, I will insist. We may still have to do a c-sect if cardio doc determines my heart not able to handle labor right now, but I'll not be doing one for anything other than definite heart or breech issues!

As for swimming, I might manage that. I'm told to stay at complete rest to keep my heart rate from going crazy, but I am the one that can feel it and it's not exertion that does it-- in fact, sitting too long sometimes does it. Swimming sounds relaxing! I've dealt with these heart issues for almost 10 years now! I feel I know myself better compared to the doc. And this baby is not breech, not quite all head down (nearing transverse), and posterior, so it's worth a try!

I find it funny they are skeptical too...I go back in Monday so I'll be showing them I'm right then!

Well, he turned before I got back to the doc!! He's now double footling breech, I'm over 36 weeks, and he's not budging for anything. My heart issues are not calming down but we've got a bit of a better understanding of them and hope they will clear up after he's born. I'm scheduled for November 20th to have him via c-section...10 days! I'm excited...not what I'd hoped for but we'll have our lil' man safe at home.:001_smile:

Well, he turned before I got back to the doc!! He's now double footling breech, I'm over 36 weeks, and he's not budging for anything. My heart issues are not calming down but we've got a bit of a better understanding of them and hope they will clear up after he's born. I'm scheduled for November 20th to have him via c-section...10 days! I'm excited...not what I'd hoped for but we'll have our lil' man safe at home.:001_smile:

Thanks for the update! I'm praying for you.

Thanks for the update! I'm praying for you.

:iagree:

My SIL's first was breech. They managed to get her to turn head-down, but the baby turned breech again during labor! SIL lives in a state where midwives are prohibited by law from delivering breech babies, so she had to be rushed to the hospital for an emergency C-section when they discovered the breech presentation. Makes you wonder if sometimes there's a phyisiological reason for the breech-ness.

I hope you have a safe delivery, both for you and you little man. :)

just had to say that we're meeting our little man in SIX DAYS!!! WOOO HOOO!!! But who's counting ;)

He's still very much double footling and I don't see him changing that. He feels pretty "stuck" to me. In fact, I feel like his feet have "engaged" a bit...if only it were his head! Once my other footling breech got his feet low, there was no changing position for him. What's with me and footlings?:001_huh:

Heart stuff is still aggravating, but I'm handling it better now that they say that I'm not at risk for stoke or heart attack with it since it's "maternal tachy"...not fun, but knowing we're both "okay" as we can be makes it easier.

just had to say that we're meeting our little man in SIX DAYS!!! WOOO HOOO!!! But who's counting ;)

He's still very much double footling and I don't see him changing that. He feels pretty "stuck" to me. In fact, I feel like his feet have "engaged" a bit...if only it were his head! Once my other footling breech got his feet low, there was no changing position for him. What's with me and footlings?:001_huh:

Heart stuff is still aggravating, but I'm handling it better now that they say that I'm not at risk for stoke or heart attack with it since it's "maternal tachy"...not fun, but knowing we're both "okay" as we can be makes it easier.

I'm so glad you're not at risk for stroke or hear attack! I can hardly wait to hear that you've had your little man.

Had my last OB appt Monday the 16th, I was 1cm, both feet engaged and doc could feel his toes! Told my dh I thought labor was coming soon b/c I felt baby trying to get head down. Called my doc on the 17th b/c I felt he was was turned and I was 3cm and his head was down!!! They sent me to have my water broken and get induced right then! Baby boy was born via VBAC at 9:06pm Tuesday Nov 17th @37w2d, 6lbs 7oz, 18 3/4in long, lots of dark hair. Went to NICU for a while due to some blood sugar issues and such, had a feeding tube, but is now healthy and home and nursing like a pro! I'm doing well, had just a little issue with heart stuff during labor but decided to get the epidural since I was getting pitocin and the pain didn't help the heart stuff...start to finish was 7 hours. Less than 10 minutes of pushing.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers! His turning was certainly a miracle!