Menu

Wash Your Hands Like Lady Macbeth!

I was out to lunch with my husband, kids and very frail mother-in-law.

I went to the lady's room, where a woman was holding a little girl's hair back from her face as the child repeatedly vomited into the toilet.

To my amazement, the woman marched the child from the restroom without washing the child's hands or face. I assumed she was taking the child straight home.

Incredibly, the woman marched the child back to the dining room of the restaurant, and continued their leisurely Sunday brunch with the family. The child was clearly lethargic, and perhaps even miserable. She and her family were all dressed in their Sunday best. I have a horrible suspicion that the child went to church, and perhaps even children's church or Sunday school.

Such people walk among us. For some obscure reason, they will drag their sick kids to church and public places. For some equally mysterious reason, they won't wash their own hands in the restroom, much less the sick child's.

This lady and the lovely, well-behaved but clearly miserable child reminded me to be really careful about hand-washing. She also reminded me of why my frail mother-in-law no longer goes to church, and rarely goes out in public. Some people are very, very careless about sharing their germs.

Oh, Ack! My kids don't know what to do when we leave a restroom without washing. (Only the restrooms where you look at the sink and it is dirtier than the toilet and there is no soap and the paper towel dispenser is broken.) Then I remind them that I keep handsanitizer in my bag for a reason.

We are vigilant hand washers and I might be just a touch bit of a germaphobe.

I was at a store yesterday where one of the employees was walking around with a scarf around their neck covering her mouth. I didn't notice until she came right up behind me and then another employee asked what did she have, the flu? I held my breath and exited the store quickly.

I already have a compromised immune system and the last thing I need is someone who is obviously sick literally breathing down my neck.

Hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your meal. :glare:

Ick! Too bad my kids weren't there -- they comment loudly when they see someone exit a restroom without stopping by the sinks. I usually find it embarrassing, but maybe I should be glad they're so vocal.

I have one of those, too. He is not afraid to tell people that smoking kills and alcohol is bad for you, either. Sometimes I wish he would be quiet.

I've got one for you...today we went to a local pumpkin farm. It was superbusy and we had to wait in line almost a half hour for tickets. There was a girl in front of us, I'd say she was 9 or 10, who dry heaved the whole time we were in line. She was completely gray, she was so pale. If that had been my child, I would have called it a day and headed home. But this mom didn't even seem to acknowledge it was happening. Occasionally she would ask, "Are you OK?" and I wanted to scream, "No--she's not OK!!"

So then I go to the restrooms, again more waiting in line. When it was my turn, the stall that opened up was, you guessed it, the sick girl. No way was I going in that stall. I just waited for the next one. But I just felt so sorry for her that her mom didn't seem at all concerned. Just dragging her around the pumpkin farm.

I just don't understand this mindset.

This thread reminds me of my days of working in fast food. The managers don't care if you're sick. They want you there no matter what. A lot of people will go to work sick for fear of losing their job. And then they are preparing your food...

I can't say this happens everywhere, or even all the time. I just know that in the six years that I worked in fast food, I saw it A LOT.

Just something to think about while all this flu stuff is going around. We are eating out a lot less.

Just wanted to chime in here with a different viewpoint. I could have been that mother holding her child's long hair while she puked and puked. Actually, I have been that mother.

And not just in restaurants; in parking lots, stores, where ever we happened to travel, because:

1) dd gets extremely car/motion sick. I can't help it. Dd can't help it. But our entire family sure as heck was not going to stay at home all.the.time. because one child got car sick.

And it could last and last after she got out of the car. She wasn't ill nor was she contagious. After a while it went away and then we all got on with what we had traveled to do, which most likely was to eat in a restaurant. :001_smile:

2) same dd had/has issues with food textures. So, frequently we had to make that rush trip to the restroom while dd was gagging. She wasn't ill. She wasn't contagious.Dd always looked quite miserable when we took her back to the table....because she had just ralphed! I mean, who wouldn't look miserable? That didn't mean she was sick.

So, don't be so quick to judge those moms when you don't know the situation. Things are not always what 'you' think.

Oh, and I always carried wet-wipes in my purse to clean her up afterward as I don't think washing in a public restroom does anybody any good. We wet-wipe and then use hand sanitizer......have done this for over 17 years now. Something else not to judge others on.

Just wanted to chime in here with a different viewpoint. I could have been that mother holding her child's long hair while she puked and puked. Actually, I have been that mother.

So, don't be so quick to judge those moms when you don't know the situation. Things are not always what 'you' think.

Oh, and I always carried wet-wipes in my purse to clean her up afterward as I don't think washing in a public restroom does anybody any good. We wet-wipe and then use hand sanitizer......have done this for over 17 years now. Something else not to judge others on.

:iagree:

I have a daughter who can't handle bad smells. Something that smells bad can easily make her vomit.

We have always cleaned up afterwards, though.

That's just yucky. :(

:iagree:

I have a daughter who can't handle bad smells. Something that smells bad can easily make her vomit.

We have always cleaned up afterwards, though.

That's just yucky. :(

Well now I know what to say to check the situation:

"oh my, you child must be car sick? can I get you a wet paper towel or hand sanitizer?"

"Oh no, did she smell something that made her sick?"

And hopefully , I will come across as a sweet, caring individual instead of the sneaky, gotta make sure you are not a sorry Mom for dragging your sick kid around and infecting us all Mother of children that I am!!:tongue_smilie:

Lax hygiene is a fact of life. Hidden cameras in public conveniences have shown that a large proportion of bathroom users will only wash their hands if they think somebody else is watching. And I won't even quote the study about the bar snacks. :001_huh: Since kids aren't usually able to leave a bathroom without touching the door, you probably are safer with the sanitizing wipes.

Elizabeth, when I read your thread title I thought it was going to be story about how you knew you had met a fellow classical educator when you saw that the 5yo knew who Lady Macbeth was :lol:

If that child had something that wasn't contagious or was, it wouldn't have hurt the mother to make a comment to those nearby something like " No need to worry, she is carsick (or fill in the blank) and not contagious." I have let people know my child wasn't contagious when I've noticed them seeing their skin rash due to allergies. Just so others could have peace of mind. Some people have just asked me if my child had something contagious. I could have been offended but I chose not to be because I know some people have frail immune systems or those in their families with frail immune systems and they tend to worry.

I don't like to go to buffet type restaurants anymore since the last time we went to one. I saw a man serving himself some food, but with the serving spoon still in his hand, he was licking off some food he had gotton on his hand near the serving spoon and then used the same serving spoon to get some more food. That was my LAST visit to a buffet style restaurant.

And not just in restaurants; in parking lots, stores, where ever we happened to travel, because:

I am a member of the Mothers Of Puking Children Club, too!

My daughter threw up a lot. Sometimes it was her migraines. Sometimes it was.....nothing. She just threw up a lot. We went to several doctors before we learned to accept that there was nothing really wrong, except the migraines.

We use to refer to our van as the Pukemobile because often the passenger side of it was coated in, well, you know.

I refused to clean the Pukemobile, by the way. Every time there was an incident I made my husband take it to the detailing shop. We always paid them more than they asked, considering what it was we were asking them to do!

Happily, she outgrew it mostly. She still throws up when she has a serious migraine, but it is far less frequent than it used to be.

1) dd gets extremely car/motion sick. I can't help it. Dd can't help it. But our entire family sure as heck was not going to stay at home all.the.time. because one child got car sick.

And it could last and last after she got out of the car. She wasn't ill nor was she contagious. After a while it went away and then we all got on with what we had traveled to do, which most likely was to eat in a restaurant. :001_smile:

2) same dd had/has issues with food textures. So, frequently we had to make that rush trip to the restroom while dd was gagging. She wasn't ill. She wasn't contagious.Dd always looked quite miserable when we took her back to the table....because she had just ralphed! I mean, who wouldn't look miserable? That didn't mean she was sick.

That is a good point.:) I think it was an honest oversight to think about that option considering the number of sick children right now. We had vomitting as part of the flu last week so that is right where my mind went.

I was that kid who got carsick. Actually I still am. My oldest gets carsick too and it really does kick in when you stop for a meal hardcore.

A slight diversion here...someone mentioned working in fast food.

Try working in a Long Term Care Facility. There are signs everywhere for folks not to visit if they've got a fever, cough, etc. Staff, however, are expected to be there regardless. One of the first places I worked after I got my CHCA threatened to fire me if I didn't come in...I had a temp, dizzy, nauseous, was gagging...as long as I didn't actually throw up, they wanted me in. :glare:

Unfortunately, its usually a matter of staff shortage. If you can stand, they want you in...no matter if you end up killing a resident by transmitting a virus or not :glare:

It really doesn't matter what the cause of the vomiting was. It was the fact that the mother and child walked right out of the restroom without washing their hands or face. :ack2: Yuck!!!

Whether the child was vomiting because of an illness of because she was vomiting because of something else really is a moot point here. Anyone that walks out of a bathroom after puking over a toilet without washing their hands and face is a really gross person indeed.

This doesn't apply to you because you said you use wet wipes w/ sanitizer. That works fine too. You ARE cleaning up yourself and your child so I have no problem with that. It is the countless numbers of other people that don't wash or use sanitizer immediately after going to the restroom that gross me out. They come out of the stalls after doing who knows what and they walk straight for the door. They then touch the door handle and "share" what they were doing with everyone else. :glare: What are these people thinking? :001_huh:

Did I mention Yuck!! :ack2: ;)

I am a member of the Mothers Of Puking Children Club, too!

My daughter threw up a lot. Sometimes it was her migraines. Sometimes it was.....nothing. She just threw up a lot. We went to several doctors before we learned to accept that there was nothing really wrong, except the migraines.

We use to refer to our van as the Pukemobile because often the passenger side of it was coated in, well, you know.

I refused to clean the Pukemobile, by the way. Every time there was an incident I made my husband take it to the detailing shop. We always paid them more than they asked, considering what it was we were asking them to do!

Happily, she outgrew it mostly. She still throws up when she has a serious migraine, but it is far less frequent than it used to be.

Pukemobile! :lol: That is the perfect name!

We carried large empty coffee cans with a few paper towels in the bottom. Loved that it had a lid you could snap on after and then just toss it in the trash.

Dd is 17yo and still has this issue sometimes. Not nearly as often, thank God! We now carry gallon size freezer liplock bags with a few paper towels inside. They fit nicely into the pocket of the seat (undetectable to the eye), but are easy to grab in an emergency, zip close and toss.

Nice to see there are other members of the MOPCC. :D

It really doesn't matter what the cause of the vomiting was. It was the fact that the mother and child walked right out of the restroom without washing their hands or face. :ack2: Yuck!!!

Whether the child was vomiting because of an illness of because she was vomiting because of something else really is a moot point here. Anyone that walks out of a bathroom after puking over a toilet without washing their hands and face is a really gross person indeed.

This doesn't apply to you because you said you use wet wipes w/ sanitizer. That works fine too. You ARE cleaning up yourself and your child so I have no problem with that. It is the countless numbers of other people that don't wash or use sanitizer immediately after going to the restroom that gross me out. They come out of the stalls after doing who knows what and they walk straight for the door. They then touch the door handle and "share" what they were doing with everyone else. :glare: What are these people thinking? :001_huh:

Did I mention Yuck!! :ack2: ;)

And how do you know that mother didn't clean her dd up afterward at the table? Did you follow her and watch? (that would be creepy; like stalking) She isn't responsible to report to you or anyone else in that restaurant for how she cleans her dd. Nor does she need to explain to complete strangers why her child is puking. She does not need to comfort anyone but her dd.

But....yeah....I think some people have a much lower standard of cleanliness than I do. It is, however, a *public* restroom and not everyone's standards are the same. "yuck" to you doesn't mean "yuck" to someone else.

That is why we try to stay out of public restrooms as much as possible; and when we are in them to touch as little as possible and clean up AFTER WE LEAVE THE RESTROOM. So, to someone observing us, we would look like 'those people' who don't wash. I've gotten that 'look' so many times, like we are dirty people or something. I just ignore it; I don't owe anyone explanations for what we do or how we do it.

I also don't judge people in a public restroom because I don't know them or their situation. I do, however, try to feel compassion for a poor child that is puking her guts out and not to blame or judge her mother because said child is puking. Nor do I feel compelled to comment on the situation. If I catch the mother's eye, I do try to give her a sympathetic smile.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all tried less judgment of others, and showed compassion and grace instead?

And how do you know that mother didn't clean her dd up afterward at the table? Did you follow her and watch? (that would be creepy; like stalking) She isn't responsible to report to you or anyone else in that restaurant for how she cleans her dd. Nor does she need to explain to complete strangers why her child is puking. She does not need to comfort anyone but her dd.

I don't know. That is not my point. Cleaning up a child at the dining table in the middle of the restaurant after said child has just finished puking is neither the time nor the place. I can even understand if they just went to pee. Logic would dictate that they could have done that without touching much. But puking? :001_huh: Last time I checked that was a much dirtier process than your run of the mill bathroom visit. (i.e. peeing) If the mother did not clean up herself and her daughter before leaving the restroom then yucky. :ack2:

They had to walk out of that bathroom via the door. The second they touched that door handle without either washing or sanitizing their hands they have placed every pathogen that is on their hands on that door. If they took a poo, wiped, then touched the door "before" cleaning then they shared their poo with everyone. If they puked then touched that door then they shared their puke with everyone.

It is because of these types of practices that pathogens spread so rapidly through populations. If EVERY PERSON cleaned their hands before exiting then that would cut down drastically on the spread of infections.

To exit a bathroom (public or not) without washing/sanitizing is increasing the spread of germs therefore increasing the number of people getting sick.

It is a courtesy, No, that mom is not accountable to me. Or anyone else for that matter. That wasn't the point. The point was that as a member of a public society we must all do our part to help each other and cut down on the spread of pathogens as much as possible. We do not live in an isolated world where our actions don't/won't possibly have adverse affects on others. Most of us live in a populated society where our actions do have the potential of adversely affecting others so we should all be mindful of that.

But....yeah....I think some people have a much lower standard of cleanliness than I do. It is, however, a *public* restroom and not everyone's standards are the same. "yuck" to you doesn't mean "yuck" to someone else.

I'm pretty sure that I would be in the majority here. Most people would think that not washing up in the bathroom after puking is pretty yucky. That was the whole point of the OP. I really don't think the dinner table is the right place for that. Perhaps I'm wrong but if I were a betting woman I'd bet that most would agree.

That is why we try to stay out of public restrooms as much as possible; and when we are in them to touch as little as possible and clean up AFTER WE LEAVE THE RESTROOM. So, to someone observing us, we would look like 'those people' who don't wash. I've gotten that 'look' so many times, like we are dirty people or something. I just ignore it; I don't owe anyone explanations for what we do or how we do it.

You're right, you don't owe anyone explanations but how about some of that compassion you talked about? Is it not compassionate/considerate to think of others and be willing to decrease the number of pathogens being spread throughout the population by washing/cleaning before exiting the bathroom. You could always throw a little more sanitizer on at the table for good measure. It's just that by washing before you walk out you do help reduce the spread of germs. That would also be a compassionate/considerate thing to do. It would also help you. The less pathogens being spread the fewer number of people getting sick thereby decreasing your families odds of getting sick.

I also don't judge people in a public restroom because I don't know them or their situation. I do, however, try to feel compassion for a poor child that is puking her guts out and not to blame or judge her mother because said child is puking. Nor do I feel compelled to comment on the situation. If I catch the mother's eye, I do try to give her a sympathetic smile.

I would feel complete compassion for the child. It's not the child's fault that she's sick. :sad: I never commented on the state of the child's health or implied that it wasn't important. No one is faulting that poor child for feeling ill. I would send a sympathetic look to the mom too.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all tried less judgment of others, and showed compassion and grace instead?

I agree and this goes both ways.

Oh, and BTW. If that mom was so concerned about her daughter to the point of not thinking to wash/sanitize their hands before exiting the restroom then why was she not rushing her home in order to make her more comfortable and allow her to get rest? According to the OP this mom walked out of that bathroom, marched back to the dinner table and continued their meal despite her daughters puking in the bathroom. Surely you don't think that she was so worried about her daughter that she couldn't take a couple of minutes to wash up but she could go back and finish lunch. :001_huh:

I really don't think this mom not washing up before leaving the restroom had anything to do with concern for her daughter. I just think she didn't want to or it never even occured to her. Which is the probably the same reasons others don't wash before leaving the bathroom. They most likely don't really care or don't think about what germs they are spreading to others.

A little thought and consideration for our fellow man goes a really long way. We could all stand to remember that in our everyday lives. :001_smile:

Did anyone see 20/20 on Friday night with the guys who have written the sequel to Freakonomics called appropriately Super Freakonomics? There is a whole section in there about hand-washing...or lack thereof...even in hospitals.

The TV segment talked about the major push at a prominent nationally-known hospital to GET their nursing and physicians to routinely wash their hands.

As a side note, and I found this funny, they said that doctors who wear bow ties are a safer bet than doctors who wear long neckties, as the neckties collect TONS of germs!

I hear you and simply can't fathom why people do this. I wonder if they force themselves to go out and do things when they feel so sick themselves.

Last week there was a 5 yr old throwing up while at soccer practice. He was actually vomiting on the field, and his mother kept him playing.

They want you there no matter what. A lot of people will go to work sick for fear of losing their job. And then they are preparing your food...

My husband worked as a waiter for a couple of years in a chain restaurant and he said the same thing. His co-workers came in sick to work all the time.

I'm 15 weeks pregnant. My husband made a comment the other day about keeping me and the children locked in the house for the next 6 months. He didn't sound like he was joking either. At this point I really don't think I would protest.

The lady didn't clean up her child, nor did she comfort her.

She and her lethargic, clearly miserable child were about 30 feet away and directly in front of my seat in the restaurant.

Still, I'm not interested in judging her. I don't have the time and energy to waste on her. I'm interested in taking care of myself and my family.

We aren't dining out as often. Her bold public performance demonstrated contempt for the well being of others. It really set me to thinking. We used to sanitize our hands a lot. Now we even sanitize our hands when we get back to the car from a public place. We figure that touching shopping carts, counters, touch pads for financial transactions, you name it - all are activities that put us at greater risk than we'd previously believed.

I figure the person who next sat in the poor little girl's seat was exposed to a host of bacteria, perhaps even a virus or two. The poor little tot was doing her best to find a position to sleep in the chair, and she fingered and drooled over every square inch of the back in the process.

Poor tot. I'm not flaming the Mom. I have no idea why she did what she did. She probably had all sorts of good reasons. You'll note that I'm not yapping about reporting her to child protective services. That's not the point. The why of it doesn't play into our risk factor.