Menu

20 worst foods in America..

I know I gained just looking at this site. UGH!

http://body.aol.com/diet/basics/worst-food :eek:

I guess as someone who doesn't count calories, this seems rather silly to me. Without telling me the source of the calories, I can't really evaluate whether they are the "worst" food in America or not. I worry most about the type of fat - not the calories themselves. Arguable, a high calorie meal is a great one - you don't have to think about eating again all day! lol

Fish tacos?!?!?!?! I would never have guessed that.

I agree about the fish tacos, It must be served with refried beans to have that much fat.

In reading the description, I'm pretty sure the photo must *not* be of the item they're describing. They recommend that in order to reduce the fat/calories, one ask that the fish be grilled. Well, that implies to me that the fish in the dish they analyzed must be *fried* (not grilled as in the photo).

I know dh and I were shocked when we left SoCal and started looking for fish tacos elsewhere only to discover that most placed made them with battered and deep fried fish! I think that has to be the case with the ones they're talking about in the article. (The fish tacos we eat -- whether at home or in restaurants, 'cause we're pretty dang picky -- are made with grilled whitefish, soft corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, pico de gallo... They're great, healthy food!) :D I'm also guessing the ones they mention come with a heavy mayonnaise-based sauce -- ick!

ETA: In looking at the photos again, it's obvious that *none* of them are of the actual items mentioned. They're just stock photos of similar items. I think some of the reasons why these particular foods are so high in fat and calories would be more obvious if the photos matched the foods they were describing.

The sodium content in most of is enough for me to avoid them like the plague. I am wondering though on some of them I am shocked on the calarie count. I do not understand calories so some of the items they had listed didn't make sense as to why the calories are on high. I am wondering if it has to do with it being high in carbs. The steak from Lonestar: Why the high calorie?

Holly

The steak that was listed was 20 oz. That's 1.25 lbs!!!! Who eats that much meat in 1 sitting?

Actually, that was the one I disagreed with. It looked not only acceptable, but like a good option. I couldn't eat that portion; but that's because my eating style naturally satiates and decreases appetite.

Says the poster who does not believe that dietary fat, including saturated, is the cause of obesity or heart problems.

The sodium content in most of is enough for me to avoid them like the plague. I am wondering though on some of them I am shocked on the calarie count. I do not understand calories so some of the items they had listed didn't make sense as to why the calories are on high. I am wondering if it has to do with it being high in carbs. The steak from Lonestar: Why the high calorie?

Holly

A lot of times the steaks are slathered in butter before they are cooked. That is probably what helped up the calories for the steak. I ALWAYS request mine without added butter or oil.

Yep, typical American restaurant fare. Huge portions, loaded with fat and salt for flavor. Some of that stuff didn't even look appetizing - like the Awesome Blossom. Way, way too greasy for me. And turkey burgers taste too much like, well, turkey.

And yet. We rarely go out to eat. We make almost everything at home from scratch, and we eat really pretty healthy most of the time. For us eating out is a bit of a luxury.

Soo...if DH and I are out on a date and we go to a restaurant, I'm probably not going to go for the grilled chicken salad, sans dressing and a dry baked potato. If I'm spending money on eating out, I'm gonna eat whatever looks good to me, and whatever I'm hungry for, at the time. If that means the gooey cheese enchiladas with refried beans, so be it! If that means the pasta with cream sauce and a tiramisu for dessert, that's what I'm gonna order. Of course, I usually end up bringing some home, and DH and I might end up sharing the dessert, but that's okay, I still really enjoyed something I don't normally have.

Just my thoughts.

In reading the description, I'm pretty sure the photo must *not* be of the item they're describing. They recommend that in order to reduce the fat/calories, one ask that the fish be grilled. Well, that implies to me that the fish in the dish they analyzed must be *fried* (not grilled as in the photo).

I know dh and I were shocked when we left SoCal and started looking for fish tacos elsewhere only to discover that most placed made them with battered and deep fried fish! I think that has to be the case with the ones they're talking about in the article. (The fish tacos we eat -- whether at home or in restaurants, 'cause we're pretty dang picky -- are made with grilled whitefish, soft corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, pico de gallo... They're great, healthy food!) :D I'm also guessing the ones they mention come with a heavy mayonnaise-based sauce -- ick!

ETA: In looking at the photos again, it's obvious that *none* of them are of the actual items mentioned. They're just stock photos of similar items. I think some of the reasons why these particular foods are so high in fat and calories would be more obvious if the photos matched the foods they were describing.

Yes, I LOVE those fish tacos, and that picture was not them, for sure. They are indeed battered and deep fried. Wah! Actually, though, I never even thought to ask for them fish grilled--that sounds delish! And, fortunately, I've never eaten any of the other things.

Actually, that was the one I disagreed with. It looked not only acceptable, but like a good option. I couldn't eat that portion; but that's because my eating style naturally satiates and decreases appetite.

Says the poster who does not believe that dietary fat, including saturated, is the cause of obesity or heart problems.

I am curious as to what you believe is the cause of obesity or heart problems? Thanks! :)

I am curious as to what you believe is the cause of obesity or heart problems? Thanks!

Well, I don't "believe" in the food pyramid as nutrionally sound. I don't believe in the science behind the low(er) fat suggestions as a biologically healthy protocol.

Basically, I don't believe that a calorie = a calorie, that lowfat = healthier. I don't believe obesity (and I'm still considered obese at less than 200 pounds and a size 14) a disease of over-consumption in general or of fat in particular or symptom of being sedentary. Although being overweight can eventually minimize activity, I don't think it works the other way around. The fat = lazy assumption is not only insulting, I believe it inaccurate.

Basically, I believe the excessive consumption of calories from refined carbohydrates and starches is what drives the accumulation of fat in human bodies. Sucrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup, refined carbohydrates and the over consumption of easily digestible simple starches creates an insulin/hormonal response that leads to fat accumulation, overweight, diabetes and, IMO, other debilitating, quality of life diminishing disease.

Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories says:

"I spend the second half of my book making a very simple point: obesity is not a disorder of over-eating or sedentary behavior, but rather a disorder of excess fat accumulation. If you consider obesity as a disorder of fat accumulation, then the natural question is: what regulates fat accumulation? Simple answer: insulin. And what regulates insulin levels? Again a simple answer: carbohydrates. This explains why carbohydrates were considered uniquely fattening from the 1830s until the 1960s. And it explains why carbohydrate-restricted diets, unrestricted in calories (like the Atkins and South Beach diets), seem to be so effective at causing weight loss.

Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories says:

"I spend the second half of my book making a very simple point: obesity is not a disorder of over-eating or sedentary behavior, but rather a disorder of excess fat accumulation. If you consider obesity as a disorder of fat accumulation, then the natural question is: what regulates fat accumulation? Simple answer: insulin. And what regulates insulin levels? Again a simple answer: carbohydrates. This explains why carbohydrates were considered uniquely fattening from the 1830s until the 1960s. And it explains why carbohydrate-restricted diets, unrestricted in calories (like the Atkins and South Beach diets), seem to be so effective at causing weight loss.

He states carbs, but I don't agree that ALL carbs act this way. Yes, if you are eating twinkies and ice cream, you are going to have trouble. Whole grains and a high fiber diet do not have the same effect as twinkes LOL. I do feel fat plays a big role in the obesity epidemic and do not agree with SB and especially atkins for this reason. I am thrilled if it works for you though.( You being anyone who is on one of these diets- I tried SB).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Basically, I don't believe that a calorie = a calorie, that lowfat = healthier. I don't believe obesity (and I'm still considered obese at less than 200 pounds and a size 14) a disease of over-consumption in general or of fat in particular or symptom of being sedentary. Although being overweight can eventually minimize activity, I don't think it works the other way around. The fat = lazy assumption is not only insulting, I believe it inaccurate.

Basically, I believe the excessive consumption of calories from refined carbohydrates and starches is what drives the accumulation of fat in human bodies. Sucrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup, refined carbohydrates and the over consumption of easily digestible simple starches creates an insulin/hormonal response that leads to fat accumulation, overweight, diabetes and, IMO, other debilitating, quality of life diminishing disease.

Amen, sister. I do believe that "the excessive consuption of calories from refined carb/starches" leads to our being sluggish and toxic in general. Eating thus does not make me want to exercise or move my body all that much. Yet, there are happy, energetic people who eat Standard American Diet and seem to do fine. But as for society as a whole, I believe what you stated above to be the problem. We equate "low fat" and "low caloric" along with "low sodium" to good health and good eating and it just aint' so.

I agree that these foods seem to be pretty bad on many levels, but there are also foods that we think of as "healthy" that are just as harmful to our bodies, IMO.

That having been said I live a double standard. I love to go out to eat. When we do I am with the poster who says she's gonna get her money's worth. I feel like crap the next day, however, and that tells me something!

Well I am happy to say that I have only had 2 of the items on that list and then it was shared with others.

I think it was a little deceptive in that "who eats an entire Awesome Blossom by themselves??"..........sure its 2000 calories, but typically these things are shared between several people.........

Still, it was fun for my kids and I to watch it and see how things can look healthy for you, but aren't...........

A lot of times the steaks are slathered in butter before they are cooked. That is probably what helped up the calories for the steak. I ALWAYS request mine without added butter or oil.

Actually I would request it with butter but no margarine or crisco. I tend to look at more the ingredients than calorie. What is causing the calories to rise? I am more in agreement with Joanne on this one.

It is more of the refined carbs and sugar that causes obesity and heart problems than the fat. I tend to be more of the Nourishing Tradition crowd on this one.

I thought the steak one is the best one out of all of them. So I too disagree with the steak being on there.

Holly

It is more of the refined carbs and sugar that causes obesity and heart problems than the fat. Holly

Not when you consider how much of those friendly sounding vegetable oils are actually hydrogenised fats or palm oil. I too am far more interested in the ingredients than calories. I tell you, Peter Singer's book on food ethics made an impact! I will never again eat veal, turkey or grain fed beef!!

:)

Rosie- wondering how anyone could consider the study of war to be more important than the study of food.

Not when you consider how much of those friendly sounding vegetable oils are actually hydrogenised fats or palm oil. I

Oh, I agree. Most researched, committed and "whole foods" low carbers would not use canola, corn and related oils.

Butter, olive oil, etc. are recommended. Coconut oil is "big" now.

obese people in my family (not my immediate family as in my children or dh, but siblings, nieces & nephews, etc.) and I can tell you that their health issues AND and their obesity are DIRECTLY related to their diets (none of which are necessarily high carb). They are certainly big meat-eaters and, of course, eat lots of trashy foods.

I am TOTALLY against the Atkins diet and what it promotes. There HAS to be a healthy balance in ALL foods. I don't believe eliminating any certain type of food from a diet will be the answer (unless, of course, it's just garbage food).

A healthy diet is balanced. You have to eliminate the foods that have no nutritional value, and, of course the processed junk this country is so fond of eating these days. We also need portion control. There are people who go out and eat the portions mentioned (and they wonder why they have to take meds for cholesterol and bp).

Healthy carbs (and I mean true, whole grain carbs, brown rice, breads made with freshly ground grains, etc) keep me going. My diet consists of mostly grains with lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and dairy products. Before I dropped the meat I only ate locally raised beef (my sister raises it drug and hormone free), natural chicken and, occasionally, some free-range pork from our co-op. Hubby does hunt too so venison takes the place of beef much of the time. Now, I will eat some seafood on occasion, but only once/week or so.

I weigh 119 pounds and am 5' 3 1/2". My kids are all at ideal weights and dh has dropped about 15-20 pounds since he quit smoking and started eating what I cook all the time with no fast foods (he still eats meat, just not as much as he used to), which puts him right in the middle of his weight range.

Cutting carbs is NOT the answer folks. Cutting white carbs and garbage carbs, yes; cutting GOOD carbs - no. And kicking up the protein to replace the carbs only jacks up your cholesterol since the animal products DO have higher fat content. My chol is 131 with my good being VERY good and my bad being low. Most of my siblings take cholesterol meds, and so does my mother so I didn't get the good chol by genetics...

obese people in my family (not my immediate family as in my children or dh, but siblings, nieces & nephews, etc.) and I can tell you that their health issues AND and their obesity are DIRECTLY related to their diets (none of which are necessarily high carb). They are certainly big meat-eaters and, of course, eat lots of trashy foods.

I am TOTALLY against the Atkins diet and what it promotes. There HAS to be a healthy balance in ALL foods. I don't believe eliminating any certain type of food from a diet will be the answer (unless, of course, it's just garbage food).

A healthy diet is balanced. You have to eliminate the foods that have no nutritional value, and, of course the processed junk this country is so fond of eating these days. We also need portion control. There are people who go out and eat the portions mentioned (and they wonder why they have to take meds for cholesterol and bp).

Healthy carbs (and I mean true, whole grain carbs, brown rice, breads made with freshly ground grains, etc) keep me going. My diet consists of mostly grains with lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and dairy products. Before I dropped the meat I only ate locally raised beef (my sister raises it drug and hormone free), natural chicken and, occasionally, some free-range pork from our co-op. Hubby does hunt too so venison takes the place of beef much of the time. Now, I will eat some seafood on occasion, but only once/week or so.

I weigh 119 pounds and am 5' 3 1/2". My kids are all at ideal weights and dh has dropped about 15-20 pounds since he quit smoking and started eating what I cook all the time with no fast foods (he still eats meat, just not as much as he used to), which puts him right in the middle of his weight range.

Cutting carbs is NOT the answer folks. Cutting white carbs and garbage carbs, yes; cutting GOOD carbs - no. And kicking up the protein to replace the carbs only jacks up your cholesterol since the animal products DO have higher fat content. My chol is 131 with my good being VERY good and my bad being low. Most of my siblings take cholesterol meds, and so does my mother so I didn't get the good chol by genetics...

I totally agree! :hurray:

I'm right there with you on that point. :) Kudos to Gary Taubes and others who are saying so.

I believe in moderation in all things, however, false foods -- hfcs, bleached, enriched, imitation, grain-fed, created low-fat, created nonfat, corn and soy in 4 million variations, &c -- have derailed the American plate and palate. "Health" is dispensed in bottles from Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline and in six-point type amid a list of unpronounceables, so we jump on the two-a-day, low-carb, sugar-free, fiber-full, omega-3, less fat, lutein, lycopene train. :ack2:

It's fake food that sickens and kills us, not animal fat and whole grains.

(That's what I think, anyway...) :blush:

ETA: I'm not a doctor, but I play one on tv... :lol:

and I can tell you that their health issues AND and their obesity are DIRECTLY related to their diets (none of which are necessarily high carb). They are certainly big meat-eaters and, of course, eat lots of trashy foods.

By definition, "trashy foods" are typically high carb. Also, I didn't say that obesity isn't related to diet-styles.

Have you actually read recent Atkins books? What do you understand the Atkins diet (as written, not as you understand people to use it) to say, recommend and promote? He does not eliminate grain based carbs forever, but recommends meat and veggies as the basis during ongoing weight loss and until pre-maintaince. His actual, written program includes a carb ladder after breaking the carb/sugar cycle and addiction. After 2 weeks of a strict diet, he recommends moving into:

This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:

More salad and other vegetables

Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)

Nuts and Seeds

Berries, then melons

Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)

Legumes

Other Fruits

Starchy vegetables

Whole grains

I am TOTALLY against grains being the base of a diet and the food group from which we are supposed to build our diet.

I did WW, whole foods mostly. I was a screaming, shaking, constantly hungry mess.