Menu

Need a new family read aloud--sorry I know it's a dead horse but...

...I can't seem to find any thread on good read alouds for a first grader and 4 yo. Of course I think I've read a bunch when I didn't need any more choices....

Anyway, I need some good boy adventure type stories. Bonus if it has a good moral lesson, or sparks some good moral discussions...

We've done:

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mouse and the Motorcycle

Stuart Little

Charlotte's Web

Little House books (3 of them I think but they are tired of them)

Velveteen Rabbit

Narnia books

the first Boxcar children book

What next?

Are you opposed to Harry Potter? You've got the good, the bad, the fantasy, the lessons...its all in there. We started when the kids were about 4 1/2. Then, I think there were only 5 books out, and it took us a while. It was a first time read for all of us. We ALL huddled around each night to see what would happen next. (It even got Dh to read ahead :001_huh:, and I had never seen dh read ANY book before or after the HPs!)

We loved all the book son your list -- and just finished The Indian in the Cupboard -- a boy turns plastic toys into real (but tiny) people. I don't know if this would be too old for a 4 yr old. But on the same theme, The Littles is an easy chapter book series that we have read aloud -- fine for 4 yr olds.

There are a lot of good one's from Roald Dahl.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

James and the Giant Peach

Matilda

And there are more.

:iagree:

I also love Trumpet of the Swan.

At the moment we are reading the Fudge Series by Judy Blume. My son loves these books. After each book we then listen to it on tape.

Judy Blume also has a series about the Pain and the Great One (a brother/sister) that are quite fun to read.

Megan McDonald has a whole series of books about a kid named Stink. My kids love them.

• My father's dragon (all 3 books)
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress
  • Homer Price
  • House at Pooh Corner and other stories
  • Little House series: My 6 year old loved the Laura books and wants to listen again and again, maybe try the next one in the series again in a year
  • James Herriot's dog stories and stories for Children
  • 5 True dog stories
  • George MacDonald books: about the princess and Curdie (there are 3 or 4 of them)similar but slightly more advanced than Narnia

Most of mine have already been suggested.

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. The kids LOVED these books. (We read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Magic. They would like to read more, but I got tired of it.)

My Father's Dragon

Homer Price

Henry Huggins (we are reading this right now)

Matilda (I think we will start this next)

Gooney Bird Greene

Old Mother West Wind

My kids couldn't get enough of Roald Dahl, altho I can understand some parents being upset w/them. They esp. liked Magic Finger.

We also liked Kate DiCamillo's books, but I thought Edward Tulane was a bit too old for my 4 year old, but she enjoyed it.

Phantom Tollbooth, Ramona the Pest (great on CD), other Ramona books, we're getting ready to read Half Magic.

Laura

Someone here recommended Dog Friday by Hilary McKay a few weeks back and we just finished it. It is a great, great book. Wonderful for a read-loud. All my children (ages 2-12) enjoyed it. It has great potential for conversations. Highly recommend!! (and a hearty thanks!! to whoever recommended it.)

Want to add that my 6 year old boys LOVED the Little House books. There's lots of "boy" stuff in there thanks to Pa.

Trumpet of the Swan was our very favorite.

The very funniest: The Exiles and the Exiles at Home.

Same author: Dog Friday, Amber Cat, Dophin Song.

The last 5 books have kids with awesome, big personalities. Not your usual fare. Really well done.

Alley

thank you everyone! I spent a great deal of time putting many of these titles in my google library so now I won't come on here asking again when we need more ideas!

I have forgotten that the kids have done a few others with their Dad...The Hobbit, Railway Children...

My oldest reads Bible stories on his own all the time. I think I better stay away from Grimm. My kids get a little weirded out sometimes by scary stuff and fairy tales.

I think we'll start with Homer Price and then My Father's Dragon series and go from there.

Thanks so much!

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'll add one more that I didn't see in other posts: Pippi Longstocking. I just finished reading it to my 5yo and he loved it, the 10yo kept coming in the room to do his work while I was reading it. Now we are on Pippi in the South Seas.

The 101 Dalmations (you could try to fiinsh this up near Christmas as the puppies come home on Christmas Eve...or is it Christmas Day?? Anyway, it's a fun read near Christmas).

All-of-a-Kind Family (series)

The Rescuers (series; NOT Disney)

Lassie Come-Home

Rabbit Hill

Hurry Home, Candy [Note: *I* cry like a baby when I read this!]

Understood Betsy

If you can find it, I recommend The Wonderful O by James Thurber. When I was a kid/teen, my family also enjoyed reading together:

--The Wheel on the School

--Tree Wagon

--The Cat Who Came for Christmas

The Wonderful O is my favorite of those 4 by far, though. A pirate loses his mother after she falls out of a porthole and now he despises anything shaped like an O. He takes over a town and slowly gets rid of things with O's in them. The townspeople, of course, must fight for their town.

I love reading everyone's suggestions! Great post!

What about a book of collected poetry, The Canterbury Tales,

If you choose Chaucer's Canturbury Tales, be sure to read them yourself before reading them to the kids. Some of the tales might be okay. "The Miller's Tale", for instance, is NOT something you should probably read to a little kid. (For instance, there is a sex scene that ends--supposedly hilariously--with the man committing adultery getting a hot poker stuck in his nether region by another jilted lover.)

What about Trumpet of the Swan and Stuart Little (E.B. White)...

My kids were just your kids' ages when I read them Trumpet of the Swan and they loved it. It is still among their favorites. They also enjoyed James and The Giant Peach and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

We just finished reading The Dragon of Lonely Island by Rebecca Rupp and are currently reading The Return of The Dragon. I think your boys would really enjoy it.

Ginger Pye was another good one.

I wanted to add that Grimm's Tales, while often, well, grim, also contain many, many stories that are not grim or scary, but are funny, and show the triumph of the underdog. And there are some that are just laugh-out-loud funny--"Hans my Hedgehog" springs to mind. Also, the colored Fairy Books (blue, red, violet, etc) have some very good stories in them as well.

Oh, and The Penderwicks!! Can't say enough good stuff about them--they are like E. Nesbit transported to modern times, with no magic. Very sweet depiction of family life, but that doesn't descend into the saccharine. Our boys listened to them as happily on tape as the girls, and even DH was caught by them. They really are good!

Another vote for the Harry Potter series!! It is THE BEST book series that have read as an adult. I went through these with my children and found nothing objectionable, if you do not mind the fantasy element. I had several ADULTS suggest these to me and kept blowing them off~I never could get much past the first book as it is so similar to the movie. The 3rd book is where it really picks up and gets a lot more indepth than the movie!!.

Shiloh

Where the Red Fern Grows

Old Yellar

These are all about a boy and his dog/dogs, so your boys should love them. Warning!!! You will sob through the end of these!! I know I did and I am not even a great lover of dogs.

Oh, I do not know where Farmer boy is in the Little House series, but it was our favorite, and I have two girls!!!

Another good series is Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. A little dark perhaps, as the original "guardian" of the children (whose parents have perished in a fire) is constantly trying to kill them. This is lightened up with a lot of ironical humor!!

Edited by luvbnhome2

Oh, and The Penderwicks!! Can't say enough good stuff about them--they are like E. Nesbit transported to modern times, with no magic. Very sweet depiction of family life, but that doesn't descend into the saccharine. Our boys listened to them as happily on tape as the girls, and even DH was caught by them. They really are good!

I'll second The Penderwicks! Daughter and I just read them and had a really fun time with them. Readable, but she doesn't talk down to the kids: I plucked eight weeks of spelling/vocab words for my 5th grader out of them.