Menu

Need advice for son on job situation

My son is now 19. He graduated from homeschool in June of 2008. When he just turned 16, he started working P/T at McD's. Never planning on actually staying.

After graduation, he did not know what he wanted to do in College, so he was still at McD's and by then, he was promoted.

Since this has been his only job, he has now been there three years, and he is now Asst. General Store Manager.

He is scheduled to take one more manager training class(and every class he takes earns him college credit towards business management that McD's pays for), and he is scheduled to run the store he is currently in. He would then be salaried. Right now, he is only considered a P/T employee even though he does work 40 hours a week, sometimes more.

He was called yesterday from a local Bank for a F/T teller position. They want him to go in for an interview tomorrow. This bank has changed hands once. It is not a big national bank. It would offer benefits. It would be a set schedule, and no Fri nights, Sat night or Sundays. Oh, and no holidays either.

Right now, my son work 11 am to 7 pm Wed, Thurs, and on Fridays 12-8, Saturdays 11-7pm and Sundays 8 am to 4 pm.

Sometimes he is called in because he has the keys to the store in case the openor does not show up.

But, he has moved up the ladder quite quickly for a person his age.(They now LOVE homeschoolers). And, these FF places can have a high turnover rate.

He has told me that if he was going to stay at McD's. he wanted to move up, run a store and then maybe get promoted again to District store manager.(running about 6 stores). But again, McD's can be quick to fire.

My concern, and question is this.

Banks are kind of "unstable" right now. IF he were to take a job as a teller, it would be "kind" of a step back. Right now, he knows his bosses and co-workers, who knows who he will have at this bank. Again, what of this bank closes shop, and now he has lost all that seniority at McD's.

OTOH, he would have better hours. I think there would be room to advance in the bank, but it is not real big.

McD's I would "think" would last through a recession, and "maybe" job stability would be better. And possibly the longer he is in management, maybe the better job he could get in the future, if he were to leave McD's?

My son is very torn over this. He is almost sure he will get offered this position at the bank(They called him a year ago for a P/T position but he turned it down because he did not have a drviers license then)

What would you offer for advice to your son? He has asked me and my husband, but we are torn about it to.

Help??? Thanks

Can he get benefits at McDonalds? If so, he might be better off staying there........unless he would really enjoy the banking job and have a future there.

I guess I am thinking that as he get a bit older and maybe gets in a serious relationship, the benefits of insurance, retirement fund, etc. would become much more important to him.

Maybe not ideal, but is there a chance he could work at the bank part time and still stay at his current job?

Nothing wrong with going to have a conversation... I'd have him ask about tellers who've been promoted and what they are doing now. McD's has shown that they are willing to move him up. Let the bank show that the same movement is possible. Then if he's offered the position, it's about weighing the options.

Good luck to him!!!

Can he get benefits at McDonalds? If so, he might be better off staying there........unless he would really enjoy the banking job and have a future there.

I guess I am thinking that as he get a bit older and maybe gets in a serious relationship, the benefits of insurance, retirement fund, etc. would become much more important to him.

Maybe not ideal, but is there a chance he could work at the bank part time and still stay at his current job?

Once my son is salaried, he would have benefits. Actually, he can get health insurance now, but he was able to get it through the state much cheaper, and better coverage.

No, he would not work P/T at the bank because #1 there is only a FT opening, and #2 even if it was a P/T job, my son's schedule at McD's is so crazy, he could not work another job.

The bank is small, so I know there would be room for advancement, not that much, but wondering is it better to have banking experience behind you, in case the bank goes under, to obtain another job? Or have ONE job since you have been a teenager with maanagement experience?

And which one would be more "recession" proof??

Oh, and he does not even have a girlfriend right now, and has no interest as he is so busy at work, and barely has enough time to hang out with his friends.

He owns his own car. Paid for it in cash, pays his own bills, and pays us rent. I would hate to see him make a mistake.

And I think even though it is ONLY Mc"d's(and people kind of laugh when you say you work there), I think that he likes being in management and running the show, if you KWIM. But it is the baloney of customers and the SHirt and Ties that can make things difficult.

Once my son is salaried, he would have benefits. Actually, he can get health insurance now, but he was able to get it through the state much cheaper, and better coverage.

No, he would not work P/T at the bank because #1 there is only a FT opening, and #2 even if it was a P/T job, my son's schedule at McD's is so crazy, he could not work another job.

The bank is small, so I know there would be room for advancement, not that much, but wondering is it better to have banking experience behind you, in case the bank goes under, to obtain another job? Or have ONE job since you have been a teenager with maanagement experience?

And which one would be more "recession" proof??

Oh, and he does not even have a girlfriend right now, and has no interest as he is so busy at work, and barely has enough time to hang out with his friends.

He owns his own car. Paid for it in cash, pays his own bills, and pays us rent. I would hate to see him make a mistake.

And I think even though it is ONLY Mc"d's(and people kind of laugh when you say you work there), I think that he likes being in management and running the show, if you KWIM. But it is the baloney of customers and the SHirt and Ties that can make things difficult.

Given the current economy I think that McD's is more recession proof. As people lost their income they also lowered their expectations in the food they ate so that McD's has done pretty well. A fried of mine was a bank teller, lost her job and has been unable to find one at her last salary (which was't much to begin with). So, now she is home with her kids living on 1/2 of their previous income. A lot of banks really cut back and as I listened to the news this morning, many are still closing as the real estate market hasn't come back yet as foreclosures are still climbing.

I think that if he's happy in his current position than he shouldn't have to switch just because other positions have better reputations. Sure, go on the interview, but take the job only if it is better for him. Become a district manager is nothing to take lightly. He'll work very hard. My BIL worked his way up into general management at Target by starting in security. He hhad a huge district Now, he's getting his M.B.A. and taking a leave of absence to do it due to family issues.

Ask him if he wants McD's to be his career (there is NOTHING wrong with that). My bil has worked at the same place since he turned 18 (he's now 38). His loyalty to this company has resulted in a VERY comfortable living, good benefits, and great job security. He can retire after five more years (43!). At first, he was unsure about making UPS his career, but as he's stayed and his seniority has grown, he can't imagine a future elsewhere. If your son DOES want to make this his future, then it could be a very comfortable future doing something he already enjoys.

All the same, if the idea of McD's forever turns his stomach... get out now, before the benefits become chains.

From the perspective of a recruiter AND hiring manager, I can tell you with utmost confidence that teller experience is not "banking" experience. Unless he is able to stay with the bank and move up, he is much better (from a career perspective only) staying where he is.

As a recruiter, I would question why he would leave a place where he progressed into management quite quickly to essentially return to another entry level position. The fact that McDonald's will pay for his education is quite a healthy benefit as well.

If he just wants out of that industry, then I could almost understand. But speaking purely from standpoint of creer progression, I would strongly encourage him to stay put.

Yep, the teller job is entry level. If you look only at job experience and prospects, Mickey D's beats the . That's nothing to scoff at, for sure. And one can almost always find a management position of some kind in fast food, and the pay compares very well to most jobs without a degree.

If he hates and wants out, what the heck, he's young and can try new things. But if he gets satisfaction frobank all around: he's in management, they're paying for his education - - if nothing else, he can wind up with both a college degree and management experiencem it, I'd stay where he is.

Yep, the teller job is entry level. If you look only at job experience and prospects, Mickey D's beats the . That's nothing to scoff at, for sure. And one can almost always find a management position of some kind in fast food, and the pay compares very well to most jobs without a degree.

If he hates and wants out, what the heck, he's young and can try new things. But if he gets satisfaction frobank all around: he's in management, they're paying for his education - - if nothing else, he can wind up with both a college degree and management experiencem it, I'd stay where he is.

:iagree:

So looks like the general consesus from what I am reading that he might be better off staying at McD's. Not sure if he wants to make that a career or not. Something I should ask him about.

Again, I think that Teller experience is not banking exp, and going from Asst Gen Store Manager at the age of 19(he is second in "command"), I would think might look better on a resume, then listing "manager" then "teller"

Correct?

Again, I think that Teller experience is not banking exp, and going from Asst Gen Store Manager at the age of 19(he is second in "command"), I would think might look better on a resume, then listing "manager" then "teller"

Correct?

Absolutely!

Also, if he wants a successful career in banking, he will need at least a bachelor's degree, and probably a master's, as well. I think his current job is probably quite a bit more impressive than "bank teller," particularly considering that he's quite young to have such a responsible position.

If he's happy where he is, I'd advise him to remain there and keep building up that management experience. That experience is something that will always work to his advantage on a resume, and if he's successful managing a McDonald's, where keeping control of the often-irresponsible and unreliable employees is just about as easy as herding cats, I think he'd have no trouble getting a job with a different company later on, if he ever needs a change. If he could manage to take some college courses while he's working there (online would probably be easiest for him,) I think that would be the best path.

You must be very proud of him -- he sounds like a wonderful son! :001_smile:

Cat

So looks like the general consesus from what I am reading that he might be better off staying at McD's. Not sure if he wants to make that a career or not. Something I should ask him about.

Correct?

The only reason I mentioned making it a career is because he could end up trapped there either way. Once he gets so far up the ladder, ime, he will be scared to hop off, iykwIm.

How exciting, so many prospects already :)

That experience is something that will always work to his advantage on a resume, and if he's successful managing a McDonald's, where keeping control of the often-irresponsible and unreliable employees is just about as easy as herding cats, I think he'd have no trouble getting a job with a different company later on, if he ever needs a change.

:iagree: And I love your statement about as easy as hearding cats. Somehow, I think I have heard my son say that before....ROFL. He told me a while back, that he could not believe the manners and the work ethics some of these kids had. A group of some kids decided it would be funny to take all the eggs out of the fridge, and have an "egg toss". My son was furious. At the time he was only Crew Trainer. But he had seen this, and his boss immediately fired them. It got to the point where they had to lock the fridge. And then kids were stealing hamburgers out of the freezer. My son was shocked.

You must be very proud of him -- he sounds like a wonderful son! :001_smile:

Cat

I am. Thank you. :001_smile:At first I thought of myself as a failure as a homeschooler, because he "only" worked at McD's and did not go to College. (He did do very well on his SAT's and was accepted into a 4 year school on a partial academic scholarship, but it was very far away, and why sit in school, when you have no idea what you want?) He is planning on taking some online classes in Management.

But, College was not for him at the time. And, I know now when I go in there and hear the "older" workers say to me "Your son is ***?? He is SUCH a nice BOY".......:lol:

Thank you!

From the perspective of a recruiter AND hiring manager, I can tell you with utmost confidence that teller experience is not "banking" experience. Unless he is able to stay with the bank and move up, he is much better (from a career perspective only) staying where he is.

As a recruiter, I would question why he would leave a place where he progressed into management quite quickly to essentially return to another entry level position. The fact that McDonald's will pay for his education is quite a healthy benefit as well.

If he just wants out of that industry, then I could almost understand. But speaking purely from standpoint of creer progression, I would strongly encourage him to stay put.

I have family who work in banking and most who have made serious career progression have business degrees, if that is a consideration.

He should stay at McD's. If he's really smart about it, he could either wind up owning his own franchise, or with money in the bank to go back to school when he hits his 30's or 40's and wants to get into a career that's more 9-5 and less physically demanding (like my DH who has had it with all areas of the restaurant industry at this point).

The restaurant industry can be fickle; DH lost a mgmt job at Einstein's Bagels early in the recession, and the lower-paying Hungry Howie's mgmt job he found after that got squeezed out when the store closed; DW#2 also had to go back to a long commute and hourly pay from a salaried mgmt position when her store closed.

McD's is bigger than those chains, an if it's either a very large, very stable franchise, or corporate, his job is pretty secure as long as he doesn't mess up somehow, or fall out of favor with upper management.

If he was older, my answer might be different, but at his age, he's in a very good position with McD's and should stick with it and move up their ladder.

Like the other posts, take what I say and apply the relevant parts to your son's situation.

I started at McD's young and worked my way up... at the age of 17 I was in management. I KNEW I didn't want to be store manager, as I had seen the stress the guy was under. If someone didn't show up, either the mgr or 1st assist mgr had to open the store, and usually wound up staying to cover the person who didn't show.... since they were salaried, there was no extra pay. I witnessed several lost vacation days, outings, and planned family events because of this.

Now.... I heard of a teller position that was open. They offered medical that was affordable (I couldn't afford the McD's medical), and the tuition reimbursement was WAY better. I applied and waited to see what, if anything, came of it. I was called for an interview, and the HR person commented several times how impressed he was that at my young age that I was entrusted with not only the keys to the McD's store, but also the combination to the safe. I was offered a job right there in his office.

Fast forward six months. I had six months' teller experience at a bank, some of that being 'commercial teller', where the teller has safe combinations and takes the money from the armored trucks, and prepares mega cash for businesses like McD's, K-mart, etc. Again... a position of trust. To handle several thousand $$ per day was normal. Once again, I hear of a teller position open at a credit union. The pay was quite a bit more, and the advancement opportunities were more. I applied and got hired. In four years at the credit union I was a teller, vault assistant, Savings Bond officer, New Accounts officer, trained a bit in IRAs (to cover the officers' vacations), accounting, payroll deductions, ATM machine balancing, quality assurance, and a few others. In those four years I also completed my bachelor's degree, most of it compliments of the credit union. I only left to start a family. Otherwise, I could see myself still there.

Back to McD's~~~ A friend of mine started working for them at 17 (we worked there together) and at age 41 finally quit because the district manager spot was given to one of his subordinates who had a degree. My friend never could go to school because of the nutty hours--- they SAID that they would work with school hours, but that never happened. Now, at 44, my friend has had several other jobs (one as store mgr at Wendy's, which he found crazier than McD's), and the others are just part time gigs. He found that his skills are actually quite industry specific, and he knows that he can't advance without a degree, so the FF industry is out. He told me that he wished he had left back before he had climbed up the management chain too high. He feels stuck and horrible for not being able to provide for his family. His wife works at the same credit union where I did and is in marketing.... no degree and she makes the same money he did as store manager, but with 'normal' hours and only a fraction of the stress.

Another friend of mine was a 1st asst mgr and he had to quit work and move back in with his parents to attend college. He wanted OUT after he saw how they played with his schedule and left him unable to take any college classes. Like my other friend, the fact that he went to Hamburger University meant nothing outside the FF industry.

As I said, take my story and use what you can. Everyone's lives are unique, but maybe my story will add 'food for thought'. FF is a tough business to be in, and once you get past a point, it's hard to recover if you move on.

One thing I would ask my child if he/she wanted to advance in FF would be "can you see yourself working there at 65 years old", and the other thing would be "can you handle working with the type of people that we see working there?" ---- the impersonal cashiers, the people who can't make simple change, the people who will blow off a shift because they are tired, but you can't fire them because no one else has applied despite the fact that you have had your fourth hiring day this year, etc, etc.

Now that it sounds like I'm against McD's, let me turn this post on its end and say that the years I spent there were the best working years of my life. I made great friends, some of whom I still see (the afore mentioned friends!). The work was hard, but taught me well. I learned more about inventory control and marketing than in my college classes, and I had to schedule shifts around people's 'day off requests'. I was responsible for bunches of money, counting tills, and bank deposits. When the delivery truck came in, I had to help unload and rotate the inventory. Also, when the health department came in, I had to deal with that. I also had to deal with irate customers who seemed to think we served top notch cuisine rather than quickly prepared items. The experience your son can gain (and has already gained!!!) is great. If he decides to stay and gain more experience, but knows he doesn't want FF for a career, he'll just need to keep an eye out and stop before he crosses a bridge that he doesn't want to cross.

I agree with previous posters who say that it can't hurt to go to the interview for the teller spot. He might be surprised (either way/good or bad) with what they have to say.

Best wishes to your son, and big congrats! He should be proud!!

Does he want to be a banker? I would think the McDonald's job is better for his resume. The bank teller job is entry level work. It is in a bank, which some consider "prestigious" compared to McDonald's but when he has to indicate work experience on his resume it will be fairly basic. The McDonald's job is management which is something that can translate into many industries.

:iagree: And working in restaurants was some of the best "training" I had for being a doc. Toughens you while still keeping you on your toes about being socially acceptable (polite).

Like a lot of people, I worked at McD's when I was younger, and I saw a lot of people stuck there. They worked hard, really hard, but were not paid for what they did. Because McD's is a franchise, it is not that easy to get beyond the store you are in (or the however many stores the owner has).

Since your son is so young I would encourage him to go for more and different experiences, this way he can see and learn more. He is going to need benefits, so that will be a major factor, but I would want my child see get as many different experiences as he could before he got stuck in one place and didn't know how to get out.

Just my $.02.

Worked at McD's through college, managing places in the summers. He worked at corporate level then for many years, and is now employed in an upper level law enforcement position. He's had a fantastic career and will probably go on to do other things -- opportunities afforded him because of his early and long history with a solid company.

I have a feeling from you description that your son will land on his feet no matter what, but it sounds like McD's would be a better choice for him right now, especially if he's thinking about college classes.

:grouphug:

Thank you so much for all of your advice. To the person who shared her McD's/Bank experience, thank you.

We do not even know if they will offer him this position, but I can almost guarantee they probably will. Not to be "sexist", but there are not many "male" tellers. At least not around here, and it looks "good" for the bank.

My son handles thousands of dollars in cash a day, and has never been a penny off when counting drawers.

But that FF industry is a tough one. I know I couldn't do it. I don't have the temperment for it.

It should be interesting to see what they offer him for pay and benefits.

He is going to tell them though, that they would have to pay him at LEAST $1.50 more then what he is making as the drive is a little longer. Right now, McD's is literally 5 minutes. The bank is about 20. So gas, wear and tear etc....

I will update everyone tomorrow night. And thanks so much to all!!!:grouphug:

Dh does a lot of hiring for an international food company. This is his advice:

Stay at McDs until he is 21 but put a timeline into place that doesn't make it a career that stalls out. He needs to always be thinking ahead and looking for a career move. In that time, gain as much real knowledge as possible. Not just shift leader type duties, real management responsibilities. He needs to be building a resume, not just working at a job. One way to accomplish this, without having the position yet is to go the manager and ask him to start training him to do his job. NOT that he wants to take his job, but that he wants to be training now, to hone the skills needed to fulfill that position in the future. Ask for more responsibilities, and for the manager to talk through scenarios with him, so he understands how/why different decisions are made. Ask for projects, don't just fill space. This way even if he doesn't get the store manager position, he still has the detailed experience to list on his resume. Shift leader responsibilities won't get him a lateral position change later in life.

When he is 21/22 (and is the store manager or not) he needs to start looking for lateral moves into another management position (21 is a requirement for a lot of companies to be a manager not just a PIC.) The food industry is vast and would be the simplest jump. Companies like Frito Lay, Pepsico, Coke, bread/cookie.cracker companies, Safeway, Fred Meyers, beverage/beer companies etc., are all posible moves to consider.

Unless he wants to go into the banking/finance world, going backwards in responsiblity isn't necessarily a benefit to him.

Ask him if he wants McD's to be his career (there is NOTHING wrong with that). My bil has worked at the same place since he turned 18 (he's now 38). His loyalty to this company has resulted in a VERY comfortable living, good benefits, and great job security. He can retire after five more years (43!). At first, he was unsure about making UPS his career, but as he's stayed and his seniority has grown, he can't imagine a future elsewhere. If your son DOES want to make this his future, then it could be a very comfortable future doing something he already enjoys.

All the same, if the idea of McD's forever turns his stomach... get out now, before the benefits become chains.

:iagree: If his goal is to own his own franchise... stay at McD's. Manager experience transfers anywhere. Banks are not stable. I just heard more banks will be going under by 2010.

Edited by tex-mex

How long has he been working 40 hours a week with no benefits and been paid as a PT? Assistant General Manager.....titles are free! The child needs a full time job with benefits and if McD's is not willing to payout....walk. Send him to college....he will be better off in the long run. Tough it out in the short term...but better off for his future....even if he doesn't know what he wants to do when he walks in the door.