Menu

Homeschool conferences - does political affiliation matter? Let me explain.

We've talked about how non-Christians feel left out, etc at some home school conferences. I can see this, even as a Christian - the prayers at the keynote speeches, the hymns, some speakers using Bible passages, etc. I even warn people about it in reference to NCHE - if you are not a Christian, you will probably feel uncomfortable.

But what about politics. I'm a conservative. I don't hear things that offend me, but would a liberal be offended? In the case of Republicans and Democrats, does it matter? (you know - conservative Republicans, liberal Republicans, conservative Democrats, and liberal Democrats.) Is one more "in line" with the general home school conference affiliation?

I'm honestly just wondering! A good friend was asking about the conference the other day. She's a different political persuasion than I am. Do I need to warn her about that?

Years ago I went to the local homeschool conference and listen to a talk about TOG and was turned off because of his politics. It was too long ago for me to remember the details but he, I felt, was making fun of democrats and/or democratic party. I walked out of that talk and would NEVER again consider TOG for our homeschool.

I stayed away from that conference for YEARS because it's all about conservative/young earth homeschooling.

HSLDA is TOO political for my tastes.

I WISH there were more homeschool conferences that had a balanced approach.

Edited by MIch elle

it's been my experience that most speakers at homeschool conferences assume that all hsers are rather conservative in their political views. I might give a more liberal-minded friend a heads-up to that effect. There is usually so much good information available that I would recommend going in with an attitude of taking the good and ignoring the bad, while determining to not take it personally.

My oldest ds is much more liberal than I, and he really noticed that programs and speakers for teens at homeschool conferences are particularly apt to be oriented towards indoctrinating the kids into a very conservative worldview. And he also recognized that dissenting opinions were not welcomed.

I do kwym. I went to the one in Houston and Gov. Perry spoke. It did feel to be more of my political persuasion.

I would warn her if I were you.

No, I don't think they need to change them to make others happy. I don't agree with all of the hyper-sensitivity along these lines these days. It just seems that worrying about "offending" people with things like this goes overboard. I am offended often by things I see and hear on television, here, by public speakers, by politicians, etc. I realize it's not my "right" to have the whole world be just as I'd like and have public speakers only speak what I want to hear, to have the news only take the slant that I agree with. I'd be more inclined to think that some of those that thought differently should either come together and have separate conventions or should encourage a couple of speakers that they agree with to be part of the existing conventions. Changing the conventions by neutralizing politics and religion in that way wouldn't be the right choice.

I have been to one where there was no particular political flavor. Now I have never seen or heard from Democrat politicians about how they favor homeschooling but have heard from Republicans about that plus know of some who do homeschool. But in the local one I attended this summer, there was no political flavor. It probably has to do with the area. I am living right now in a mixed area politically and ethnically. I would look at who is leading the convention. The one I attended most recently was not led by the religious group although both religious and non religious vendors and groups were represented. The political spectrum was that several government agencies were there as well as representatives from the Heritage Foundation and some other advocacy groups. I am sure that if some liberal group started expressing an interest in homeschooling, they could get a booth too. It goes back to what I said. Freedom in school choice is a more popular idea on the conservative side of politics.

I'm a political conservative but not a religious conservative. I don't attend the seminars or speeches. Our NJ conference is sponsored by a religious group (ENOCH) and while I appreciate the curriculum aspect of it, I stay clear of the talks and social aspect of it.

Letting her know what to expect is a good idea. She can decide for herself whether the religious/conservative aspect is uncomfortable for her.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sp

In my state, you can go to conservative Christian conferences or hippie unschooling conferences. Since I'm not really a hippie or an evangelical, and the speakers all seem to assume rather a lot, I mostly go to the vendor halls and only attend the actual conference if SWB is speaking.

I find that most other speakers are so irrelevant to my homeschooling needs as to be a waste of time; I'm familiar enough with both philosophies that I don't feel I need to pay to learn more about them when I want to be browsing through books.

I'm not a Christian and found that I personally can't go to one of our conferences here in Houston, because it seems to be entirely wrapped around raising your child through Christian spectacles. Your point is interesting, I do find it a bit political, so letting your friend know what to expect would be my best suggestion - it might not bother her politically at all. It does me, but that is just my own hang up. I'm neither liberal or conservative, Republican or Democrat - just plain ol libertarian and I can't go to a Christian homeschool conference.

The people who go through all of the work and monetary investment to put on the conference will create it in the way they see fit, which will generally agree with their political and religious views. If someone wants a conference of a different persuasion, they can create one. That's what happened in Ohio (I tend to be like the "new" conference, so I was happy about it.)

It is a sign of maturity to be able to listen to what pertains and leave the rest. But it would be courteous for you to give her a heads-up about the conference if you think that nothing in it at all would be valuable to her.

I find it annoying that they can't just talk about homeschooling and leave the politics and religion out of it.

AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN.

I don't go to hs conferences to discuss politics and I certainly don't go to discuss religion. I have a church, tyvm. Teach me how to make math easier, make history more interesting, make science easier on ME. But please, keep your religious convictions to yourself. If I wanna know, I'll ask.

Our local hs conference is far more conservative religiously than I am and it makes me nuts to have a good 1/3 of the workshops dedicated to home churching, home discipleship, home singing, home journaling, courtship, blah blah blah. To me, those are church issues, not academic issues. So, I usually attend only 3 out of the 5 workshop times and shop the other times. I rarely hear the keynote (although, I thought Todd Wilson was pretty good this past year).

I am a religious and political conservative. However to a lot of homeschoolers I am a liberal religious person which is not true. (Yes I have been accused of one) Here is why: I have a job and homeschool my kids. My marriage is different than the far right religious conservative. We do not believe in the husband being above the wife however he is the head of the household which we do believe that. However for him to be above me is not correct according to what we believe. (No we do not believe in women being pastors either) Our whole thinking is different. We believe the wife and husband is equal in the marriage even though the husband is the head of the household. Pretty confusing, right? Anyway because of our belief I do not go to my local homeschool conference due to the Patricial movement they are trying to promote. I go to Ohio in Cincy for the Midwest convention. I feel that it really focus on homeschooling aspects not religion. I know they do have John Stonestreet talks for teens which I really LOVE!! My oldest is going with me next year so he can hear him. There are a few things I do not agree Stonestreet on but I do not reject him because of the few things.

My local conventions is the one in Indianapolis (IAHE). They really pushed the patrical movement a few years back. I have been told they have stepped away from that last year. Anybody want to verify that for me? I really would like to go next year since the Learning Parent(one with a lot of kids) people is one of the keynote speakers. (not too thrilled about the other keynote speaker)

I have no problem with Christian homeschool conventions as long as they do not push the patricial movement. They really lay the guilt on thick!!

Holly

AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN.

I don't go to hs conferences to discuss politics and I certainly don't go to discuss religion. I have a church, tyvm. Teach me how to make math easier, make history more interesting, make science easier on ME. But please, keep your religious convictions to yourself. If I wanna know, I'll ask.

I feel the same way about the biggest hs convention in our state. I am relatively conservative, socially and religiously. However, I feel like I stepped onto another planet when I even look at the brochure.

I prefer the non-sectarian conference in our state. People of all religious persuasions attend. People of all different political perspectives attend. Religion and politics are kept low-key. While presenters do not check their beliefs at the door, they are respectful of the diversity in the audience. It is so interesting to walk through the vendor hall to see head-covering homeschoolers next to tattoed, pierced homeschoolers.

I don't know about the politics, but there are other aspects to consider. The only homeschool conference I ever attended had, as its keynote address, a presentation on discipline in the homeschool. I had not expected to have to listen to recommendations on exactly the kind of switches to choose, that had the right springiness for 'disciplining' children.

I complained in writing to the organisers afterwards, and they agreed that the keynote had been a mistake. They conceded that the presentation should have been an optional event, flagged up for people to choose knowingly.

Laura

Our homeschool convention is extremely conservative politically and in the religious arena. It took me a couple of years to figure out that this convention didn't welcome me as a methodist or a conservative democrat. It's a shame because I believe attendance would increase if there was a little less brain washing and a little more discussion about homeschooling.

JMO

Tori

I say I am a religious and political conservative because it is the closest to what I am in my mind. However, religious conservative does not mean evangelical, which I am not, and, while I am a registered Republican, I lean more libertarian. So, I really don't fit in.

I go to the vendors and stay away from the speakers. My friends are fine for religious political discussions and I can bounce ideas off of them without getting raised eyebrows.

In my state, you can go to conservative Christian conferences or hippie unschooling conferences. Since I'm not really a hippie or an evangelical, and the speakers all seem to assume rather a lot, I mostly go to the vendor halls and only attend the actual conference if SWB is speaking.

QUOTE]

While I was reading this, I thought, "Wow, that sounds just like California!" and then I realized, yes, this IS California. Funny!

I think that the most neutral conferences I know of are the SWB ones--they tend to be somewhat conservative, but not oppressively so. But the fact that she's advocating classical education would make them seem non-neutral to most homeschoolers I know. I think that neutrality is in the eyes of the beholder.

I really regret that Christian homeschooling has come to mean something other than Christians who homeschool. I think that that label has been erroneously coopted, and it is offensive to me that that is so. I have tremendous respect for the moms who homeschool specifically out of Christian convictions of one sort or another, and for those who happen to be Christians who homeschool for other reasons, and too many of those are left out of the Christian homeschooling label. Doesn't seem accurate or fair.

I don't know about the politics, but there are other aspects to consider. The only homeschool conference I ever attended had, as its keynote address, a presentation on discipline in the homeschool. I had not expected to have to listen to recommendations on exactly the kind of switches to choose, that had the right springiness for 'disciplining' children.

I complained in writing to the organisers afterwards, and they agreed that the keynote had been a mistake. They conceded that the presentation should have been an optional event, flagged up for people to choose knowingly.

Laura

Most of the time I'm pretty live and let live, but if I had attended that conference without knowing what to expect, I would have been pretty offended and angry to have wasted my time.

I am a religious and political conservative. However to a lot of homeschoolers I am a liberal religious person which is not true. (Yes I have been accused of one) Here is why: I have a job and homeschool my kids. My marriage is different than the far right religious conservative. We do not believe in the husband being above the wife however he is the head of the household which we do believe that. However for him to be above me is not correct according to what we believe. (No we do not believe in women being pastors either) Our whole thinking is different. We believe the wife and husband is equal in the marriage even though the husband is the head of the household. Pretty confusing, right? Anyway because of our belief I do not go to my local homeschool conference due to the Patricial movement they are trying to promote.

I have no problem with Christian homeschool conventions as long as they do not push the patricial movement. They really lay the guilt on thick!!

Holly

Isn't it funny to feel like the liberal in the room?

Actually, though, I am blessed to belong to an eclectic Christian homeschooling group that has very, very conservative and patriarchal members but also much more liberal ones and a whole range in between. It's very accepting of the range, although any individual may teach her own way so the meetings vary with the tone of the monthly leaders. I didn't find this group until last year, and it was such a relief to be able to pray about homeschooling with others who do it--I had not realized how much pent up need I had for that fellowship until I experienced it. I actually teared up during every prayer for the first 4 months, I think.

I've been to several Christian homeschooling conferences, and speakers at both assumed you were very conservative Republican. I still go and try to tune out that which I don't care to hear because there's usually so much good stuff to hear. At first I was offended, not so much by the political leanings but that they assumed I would agree. Now I know what to expect.

Janet

Years ago I went to the local homeschool conference and listen to a talk about TOG and was turned off because of his politics. It was too long ago for me to remember the details but he, I felt, was making fun of democrats and/or democratic party. I walked out of that talk and would NEVER again consider TOG for our homeschool.

I stayed away from that conference for YEARS because it's all about conservative/young earth homeschooling.

HSLDA is TOO political for my tastes.

I WISH there were more homeschool conferences that had a balanced approach.

:iagree::iagree: definitely agree. I think it is better for homeschoolers to try and stick together as much as possible:).

On a side note, it is distressing when I go to certain homeschool gatherings and it seems IMHO that some people look with derision at my Obama sticker on my car:(

Edited by priscilla

AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN.

Our local hs conference is far more conservative religiously than I am and it makes me nuts to have a good 1/3 of the workshops dedicated to home churching, home discipleship, home singing, home journaling, courtship, blah blah blah. To me, those are church issues, not academic issues. So, I usually attend only 3 out of the 5 workshop times and shop the other times. I rarely hear the keynote (although, I thought Todd Wilson was pretty good this past year).

Amen:)

I find it annoying that they can't just talk about homeschooling and leave the politics and religion out of it.

Yep. I went to my first conference in the spring. It was awesome because I got to have lunch with SWB, but there were very few speakers I could comfortably listen to because the focus was mostly on a certain type of religious lifestyle. I was surprised by how little actually had to do with homeschooling. It's quite a turn-off.

That said, I will be attending again this year because SWB and JW are speaking.

But, like my friend's husband said, "A Christian periodic table of the elements? Really??"

Tara

Yep. I went to my first conference in the spring. It was awesome because I got to have lunch with SWB, but there were very few speakers I could comfortably listen to because the focus was mostly on a certain type of religious lifestyle. I was surprised by how little actually had to do with homeschooling. It's quite a turn-off.

That said, I will be attending again this year because SWB and JW are speaking.

But, like my friend's husband said, "A Christian periodic table of the elements? Really??"

Tara

Which gets to the heart of everything that bugs me about curriculum.

We had two conferences in the state I just moved from. One was intolerable in their religion and politics (the speakers, vendors, and entire "feel" was all from one, and only one point of view).

The other, while still a bit religious, definitely had an "open" feel to it. I still wouldn't have sat through all of their speakers (never been a "speaker sitter" at conventions), but there were some options.

People were pretty militant about which conference they attended.

a

:iagree::iagree: definitely agree. I think it is better for homeschoolers to try and stick together as much as possible:).

On a side note, it is distressing when I go to certain homeschool gatherings and it seems IMHO that some people look with derision at my Obama sticker on my car:(

I would probably be one those people. :D Sorry!! It is a given that most homeschoolers are republican or independent (that me). I do know there are liberal homeschoolers and democrat homeschoolers. I am SO THANKFUL we get to choose our political affiliations instead of being told who to vote for. :)

Holly

ITA with the other posters that the hs conferences tend to be of one particular leaning or another. I attended one conference where the keynote speakers and a couple of breakout session leaders were pretty set on homeschoolers having a lot of children to the point of being disrespectful of those who only had 1 or 2.

Having said that, I would go to a conference if there was a particular speaker or breakout session I was interested in that I knew would certainly benefit my homeschool and just SKIP the rest of it.

We've talked about how non-Christians feel left out, etc at some home school conferences. I can see this, even as a Christian - the prayers at the keynote speeches, the hymns, some speakers using Bible passages, etc. I even warn people about it in reference to NCHE - if you are not a Christian, you will probably feel uncomfortable.

But what about politics. I'm a conservative. I don't hear things that offend me, but would a liberal be offended? In the case of Republicans and Democrats, does it matter? (you know - conservative Republicans, liberal Republicans, conservative Democrats, and liberal Democrats.) Is one more "in line" with the general home school conference affiliation?

I'm honestly just wondering! A good friend was asking about the conference the other day. She's a different political persuasion than I am. Do I need to warn her about that?

I do think you should warn her.

AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN.

Yes, please. :)

Laura

Ack!! I would have walked out immediately