Menu

Gift help--I need your favorite children's book for a girl

You all have the best book recommendations, I was hoping you could help me. I am putting together a gift bag for a friend who just had a baby girl. She doesn't really need anything, and being the first granddaughter, she is already swimming in ruffles and bows. :001_smile: So I thought a wonderful, lovely childen's book would be a nice gift for her to enjoy later. Can you give me your one, all-time favorite children's book (for a girl)? Thanks!

E.T.A: The book doesn't have to appeal to a baby. It can simply add to her children's book library for later (this Mom already had all boys).

Edited by Amie

The secret garden

A little princess

They are not for babies though. I do agree with the Sandra Boynton book suggestion, I have many of her books and my babies/toddlers have always loved them. The current favorites right now are the belly button book and Moo, Baa, La la la

Thank you! Great suggestions so far. The book doesn't have to be "classic" (old?)--perhaps I should re-word my OP. Also--I'm not so worried about the baby enjoying it now, but also building her library for later. Keep them coming!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
You all have the best book recommendations, I was hoping you could help me. I am putting together a gift bag for a friend who just had a baby girl. She doesn't really need anything, and being the first granddaughter, she is already swimming in ruffles and bows. :001_smile: So I thought a wonderful, lovely, classy, whatever, childen's book would be a nice gift for her to enjoy later. Can you give me your one, all-time favorite children's book (for a girl)? Thanks!

You have asked the impossible, but I'll give you my three favorite to give to new babies. :001_smile:

Here's a Little Poem

Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose (Scott Gustafson illus.)

Classic Fairy Tales (another Scott Gustafson)

For examples of his art, go to his site. These three are my dd5's top favorites. She could look at them for hours on end. I personally have never seen more gorgeously illustrated books for children.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I would (in addition to a book) make sure she has a copy of The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.

:iagree:

I always give this book. Love, love, love it!

Both The Paper Bag Princess and The Princess Knight are great books! Both books define being a princess as strong and independent instead of relying on a knight to provide a rescue.

I forgot about the paperbag princess, I love that story! The ones I listed I have read at least a dozen times since childhood which is why I listed them, not because they are classics.

A nice hardbound copy of Anne of Green Gables!!!!!!!

ETA: I just thought of a few more:

By Robert McCloskey:

Blueberries for Sal

One Morning in Maine

Make Way for Ducklings

Time of Wonder

By Margaret Wise Brown:

The Little Island

By Barbara McClintock:

Dahlia -- this is new fave: a little tomboy girl is given a beautiful china doll whom she names Dahlia. It is set in Edwardian (?) times, so there are lots of ruffles, bows, and frills....and mudcakes, butterfly collections, etc. Sweet, sweet book

Edited by BikeBookBread

Olivia

Chrysanthemum

Sheila Rae the Brave

Eloise

Paper Bag Princess

Milly Molly Mandy

Betsy Tacy

Baby Island

Pippi

Ramona

Mandy

Naya Nuki

complete collection of Beatrix Potter

that's it... I'm ignoring my kids now

Edited by helena
My girls are all worked up thinking of titles, this probably wont be my last edit

Blueberries for Sal

The Napping House

(there is something magical about pronouncing each syllable of the recurring line "Where Ev-vry One Is Slee-ping" in an up and down pitch or in a descending tone. My son listened 100 times with wide eyes.)

The Funny Thing

Goodnight Moon

Pat the Bunny

These last two are very good "first books" for baby.

Too many favorites! I recently asked for rec's about a baby gift, and decided to go with books. It's been hard to choose only a few...

My children's favorite authors/books from when they were little:

Leo Lionni books

Dr. Seuss books

The Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly, and variations

Five Little Monkeys books

Stinky-face books

Robert Munsch books

Patricia Polacco books (they still love these)

Frog and Toad books

Audrey Wood books

Grandfather Twilight.

http://www.amazon.com/Grandfather-Twilight-Paperstar-Barbara-Berger/dp/0698113942

Anything illustrated by K. Y. (Kinuko) Craft. http://www.kycraft.com/

The Great Good Thing. http://www.amazon.com/Great-Good-Thing-Roderick-Townley/dp/0689853289. My daughter (now 9) has requested this over and over as her favorite bedtime read aloud, beginning when she was about 7.