Menu

Is Breaking Dawn appropriate for a 10 year old?

It does include the wedding and honeymoon. It really does not go into any detail AT ALL on the wedding night. But it does lay out the leading up to, and then the next morning.

While there isn't a battle per se in it, the whole pregnancy is pretty frightening. The baby breaks her bones from inside.

Well...probably not, BUT...

My dd read them all first. Then I read them. Now, I was okay with 1 and 2. The 3rd...sure. By the 4th I was thinking 'What kind of a mother am I?' Its really just the beginning of the book, maybe around chapter 5; the consummation of the marriage is a bit disturbing (perhaps you should pre read that part and judge for yourself).

Here's where the BUT comes in; now that your son as read the first 3 books, how can you tell him he can't finish the story? Its like watching a really great movie only to have the power go out. Only the power is you and is it worth the battle? I would have felt mean if I would have done this to dd and she would have been very disappointed in me, to say the least. I'm glad she read them first because I probably would have tried to do just that. I know I would be quite angry if I couldn't find out how the story ends if the tables were turned.

The part to which I refer is actually fitting for the story, imo, and not written in a bad way. It also is necessary for the rest of the book. Would you consider reading the books so you can talk about them with him? We really loved the story here and we have had numerous great conversations about it, and embarassingly enough, we've both read the series more than once.

Edited by LauraGB
just added some more thoughts

Well, I won't let my 10 year old read the first 3 books of Twilight (though I thoroughly enjoyed them), so No on the 4th book. However, if your son has gotten this far and you were okay with it, then the 4th book is no worse than the others.

As a side thought...I can't imagine how a 10 year old would really *get it* with Twilight - which, for me, was what made the series so great (not well written, just emotionally appealing).

SPOILER

ETA: The consumation of the marriage includes bruising and unintentional pain inflicted by Edward (because he is so strong, yadda yadda). Bella actually passes out from the pain if I remember correctly and she is bruised from head to toe the next morning. Then she is pregnant.

Then there is the whole transformation and "the burning" - the bleeding out issue would bug my kid as well.

Edited by Tree House Academy

As a side thought...I can't imagine how a 10 year old would really *get it* with Twilight

:iagree:

My 9yo b/g twins want to read Twilight.

"But Mom, [friend] says its not about boyfriends, it's about vampires!"

And my reply, "Then [friend] didn't understand the book."

I'm about ready to get Buffy from Netflix to meet the vampire desire with something more emotionally healthy.

My son has read the first 3 books of the Twilight series and wants to read Breaking Dawn but the neighbor said its questionable without describing why. Thought I would ask my trusted forum folks!!

my dd has read the series (a few times). when I read your subject line to her, she said, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" LOL Then she suggested that you read the book first and make the decision yourself as it's a "personal choice. please don't read reviews online. books are personal. she should read it herself and then decide."

She says the 4th book has more cursing, lots of innuendos (i.e. "jokes"), etc.

My son has read the first 3 books of the Twilight series and wants to read Breaking Dawn but the neighbor said its questionable without describing why. Thought I would ask my trusted forum folks!!

The Twilight series ends in a really dark place, imo. I only read the first one, but had concerns about where it was headed so I read very detailed spoilers, and found that I did not want to read that kind of stuff even myself, let alone allow my children to read it. I would say *at least* 14 years old, if at all.

I'm about ready to get Buffy from Netflix to meet the vampire desire with something more emotionally healthy.

Okay, I haven't read Twilight and I love Buffy (as an adult), but I'd hesitate to suggest it as more emotionally healthy, at least in the later seasons. Lots of very emotionally *un*healthy stuff going on in the later seasons, including s*x. You'd surely want to make sure it was before the season she lost her virginity to a vampire who as a consequence loses his soul and spends the next season trying to kill her and everyone she loves.

Okay, I haven't read Twilight and I love Buffy (as an adult), but I'd hesitate to suggest it as more emotionally healthy, at least in the later seasons. Lots of very emotionally *un*healthy stuff going on in the later seasons, including s*x. You'd surely want to make sure it was before the season she lost her virginity to a vampire who as a consequence loses his soul and spends the next season trying to kill her and everyone she loves.

I've watched up through season 4 of Buffy.

As a parent, I find the sex in Buffy far less objectionable than the sex in Breaking Dawn.

For one thing, I kind of like the idea of convincing kids that teenage sex unleashes demons. :lol: :auto:

(OK, I'm not entirely serious about that. My twins still cover their eyes when there is kissing on TV, so I don't think they are really old enough to appreciate Buffy. But I do think that Angel is a far better boyfriend than Edward.)

I've allowed my dd12 to read the first two books ~ but I've said no to the third and fourth for now. As someone else mentioned, she was indeed disappointed, as she wanted to keep following the story - and I can understand that, as I'm missing the most recently released book in another series that I read and it's driving me nuts. But, I just don't feel that she's quite ready for the rest of it yet --- so, we made a deal. She leaves them alone for now, and I write her a story about Bella's daughter. She knows *about* her daughter, because I told her the general happenings as I was reading the books myself, so she's excited about that. I've written a lot of stories before, but never fanfic...this should be interesting. :tongue_smilie:

I've watched up through season 4 of Buffy.

As a parent, I find the sex in Buffy far less objectionable than the sex in Breaking Dawn.

Well, I really wasn't disturbed by any of it so much till the season after she's raised from the dead and is having trouble feeling anything and so lets Spike "use" her, shall we say. I just found that icky. Didn't stop me watching through the series finale, though... but emotionally healthy, not so much...

But I do think that Angel is a far better boyfriend than Edward.)

Well, I'll watch just about anything with David Boreanz in it. Watched all through the Angel spin-off, and now get my fix on Bones. :D

I adore Joss Whedon and own every Season of Buffy

That said, there is no way we share it yet with our 9 and 13 year old dd's.

Too much that is dark and inappropriate.

That said, I can not wait to watch it with them, just not yet.

My 13 yo read the first 2. I would not let her read the last 2. There is a lot of hot and heavy tension in the last 2, especially the last. I figure her hormones are doing enough to confuse her right now without throwing more things into the mix. She can read them in a couple of years when things settle down. Honestly, there were a couple of things in the last book that got me looking for either dh or a cold shower when I finished reading them. The tension can be more scintillating than an actual play by play.

I adore Joss Whedon and own every Season of Buffy

That said, there is no way we share it yet with our 9 and 13 year old dd's.

Too much that is dark and inappropriate.

That said, I can not wait to watch it with them, just not yet.

I'll probably end up waiting as well. Heaven knows I tell the kids "No" about enough other things. ;)

But if I had to choose to expose them to one or the other? I'd pick Buffy.

I let my 11yo boy read the first three, but not the fourth.

He did ask me one thing about the fourth, and it was whether Bella turns into a vampire. I told him the answer, and he was satisfied with that.

What bugged me the most in the 4th book was the way the werewolves are planning to kill the unborn. I don't like their reasoning, I don't like their approach and I don't like their values in this part of the book. Not one iota.

Lol, I just this minute walked away from watching the first movie to see this thread. Everyone said the movie was so bad but after reading the books (months ago now) I thought it was pretty good. Maybe it wasnt so good if you hadnt read the books. Or maybe I am just a sucker for another dose of Edward.

I would think they were too old for a 10yo and I am pretty liberal with that sort of thing. But I really don't think the 4th is any worse than the rest. Dd15 and I think it was the best book.

Warning: Buffy is pretty dark from season 6 on. There are occassional rough moments before then as well. And it does deal with mature themes thoughout. A younger child could watch it without picking up on the underlying messages but I would say your average 14 year old or older is going to get some of it. And there are a couple of scenes containing pretty close to full male nudity in season 6.

All that being said. We are Joss Whedon freaks in this house. We love Buffy and have watched it at least 5 times through now. We pick up something new everytime. Joss's work is deep and wide. It can be watched on a superficial level for pure entertainment value but it can also be watched for much more complex socialogical values commentary. Grrr! Arrg!

ETA: I commented here before reading the rest of the thread and seeing that several other people had already commented on Buffy. As you can see, you might want to do some research on this before starting the series.

Edited by KidsHappen

I think you should read all the Twilight books yourself before making the decision to let your 10 yo read the last one. I wouldn't do it, but I understand the view of the previous post that argued it's wrong to not let them finish a series.

good luck!

Margaret

PS Love Buffy, too, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it. And really wouldn't let them watch my new favorite, True Blood.

Okay, well now I'm really feeling like a bad mom.

But, on the other hand (and in my unsolicited defense), I have to agree w/pp's daughter who suggested books are very personal. Dd is a Reader. I mean, that's all she would do if she could. She's also unusually mature. I'm quite certain she "got" the story. When I got to the part about the bruising and such, I stormed out of my room and said "What the heck! Why didn't you tell me this stuff was in here?" She just looked at me wide eyed and said, "You seriously didn't see that coming? Really?" And okay, maybe I did see it, but still...so did she.

For the record, though, I have cautioned her friends' moms since so many of them wanted to read the books too. Like I said, I probably wouldn't have let her read them had I read them all first. One mom told her dd she just couldn't read chapter 5 - :confused:. Like that wouldn't make her read that chapter first! Dd was so into the story that she ended up conning me into going to the store at 845pm, in my pajamas to buy (I think it was) the third book because she had just finished the second. Her excitement is what ended up getting me to finally read them.

Anyway, there is my Really Bad Mom defense:blushing:.

I really like this review for Twilight at Readkiddoread.com

The subject matter of the series is a bit too mature, like a modern-day bodice-ripper without the sex, but with plenty of sexual tension and some unsettling violence. True, there's nothing more than a few (smoldering) kisses in the first book, but it still feels pretty steamy.

I don't think the Twilight series is appropriate for anyone, but definitely more due to form than content. I just can't abide the trite writing. ;)

Hey Laura, these things happen. Don't let us make you feel beat up.

Oh no! I don't feel beaten by anybody here! I love hearing everyone's opinions. I'm not really 'sorry' she read them; its nice to have someone to discuss it with. But if I had to do it all over again, I probably would make her wait.

I don't think the Twilight series is appropriate for anyone, but definitely more due to form than content. I just can't abide the trite writing. ;)

At least I'm not the only one who felt that way. I understand the connection to teenage angst..but that disturbed me as well - too many reminders of what I felt when I was 14:lol:. Although it was like Starbucks coffee - I didn't like it, but I continued to go back for more..

I was a die-hard B-horror flick fan as a teen (in my "yoot" ;))) and that birth scene from Breaking Dawn even gave me "the wigglies" as DS says. IMO the series (though I enjoyed it in a mind candyish sorta way) is not for 10 year olds.

Also want to agree with what others have said about Buffy. Love love LOVE the show, and have shown the dc a few eps from the first couple of seasons. The rest will have to wait until they're older... it does get very dark and the Spike/Buffy stuff was particularly disturbing. YMMV.

PS. Laura, I think we've all been there!

the other replies--but I'm guessing the consensus is NO--even if your child was fine with the first three. I think what draws the line between the other three books and this one is the intimacy--not the fact that they have it, because I do think it was in good taste for them to wait for marriage, and it doesn't even describe the act--but it makes very clear that it was rough and caused injuries--not the picture of a honeymoon I'd like in my kid's head.

The implications of violence--for lack of a better word-- in the act is IMO too much for a child that age.

Edited by homeschoolally
posted before finished