Menu

Can you tell me about your 2nd Grade schedule?

kellycbr

Bible with Explorer's Bible study, Beginnings II New Testament

Math with Horizons Math 2

Language Arts with Primary Language Lessons updated by Margot Davidson

Poetry Memorization with The Harp and Laurel Wreath (and a few hand-picked poems)

History/Geography/Literature: Tapestry of Grace Redesigned Year 2

Phonics with Explode the Code Book 6

French with Écoutez, Parlez! French Oral Program

Science with our own lessons plans plus nature study

Private Piano lessons 1x/wk and practice 15 min daily

Independent reading and monthly book reports with How to Report on Books Grades 1-2

From 8:00-12:00 each day with a few breaks in-between and free afternoons. 2 Hours on Friday only.

Well, I'm going with Latin Centered Curriculum. Basically my 2nd grader will listen in on Latin for Children that her older brother will be doing. Then we're using MCP (Modern Curriculum Press) Math for second grade. For Language Arts I just got some sweet workbooks from Catholic Heritage Curriculum for spelling, grammar and pensmanship. Other than that we'll be doing lots of read alouds for Christian studies, Classical Studies and Modern Studies. We're going to be in a co-op that will have nature study and cultural studies.

That's it, short and simple. On her own she does lots of coloring, drawing, playing with clay, etc so I don't feel the need to make art formal yet. If she wants music lessons, we might work that in. We listen to lots of different kinds of music and all 4 of her older siblings either sing in a choir or play a musical instrument so she's pretty much surrounded by it. For PE she does gymnastics and track and she'll most likely continue with that next year.

Congrats to you on starting homeschooling! I started homeschooling my oldest 11 years ago when she was starting 2nd grade. Now she's a junior in high school (still at home). It's been a wonderful, wonderful journey that I wouldn't trade for all the world. Good luck to you!

Math: Singapore 2A, 2B with CWP, some of IP. Supplement with some of Horizons 2 A,B

Language Arts: Dd finished Phonics Pathways in first and is reading well, so we don't do any other phonics. She reads on her own--no formal program.

Handwriting: learning cursive with RFH T

Spelling: Spelling Workout C/D

Grammar: FLL (2nd grade portion)

Occasional copywork (I make it up) or dictation from FLL

History: Biblioplan Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation with SOTW 2 +AG

Science: Chemistry with Noeo chem I

Latin: finished Prima Latina, currently doing Minimus

Bible: Voyages 2nd grade

Music: weekly piano lessons, daily practice

PE: gymnastics in fall winter, swimming and softball spring

Mostly just good intentions: we're not doing much with Spanish or art right now, but my ideal would be to fit them in.

Our 2nd grade:

Right Start math

First Language Lessons (2nd half of book)

Zoology 2 for science with older dd (swimming creatures)

Explorer's Bible study

Poetry & Scripture memory

Getty Dubay Italic handwriting

Lots of independent reading & some family read-alouds

Piano 1x/week

Best wishes to you as you get started tomorrow!!! Have FUN!

I just spent four weeks homeschooling a second grader for a family member. They use SonLight Curriculum and Horizons math. Sonlight covered Bible, Language, Spelling, Writing, Reading, History, Science, and Read Alouds. We did additional Language worksheets and penmanship that the mother had incorporated as well as scheduling in PE and 30 minutes of silent reading a day. I was also doing Kindergarten with her other student and taking care of my toddler.

Our general schedule for the second grader was:

Tuesday through Friday

7:30 Opening (Bible, Calendar)

7:45 Horizons Math

9:00 Snack

9:10 Penmanship, Language, Spelling

10:00 PE

10:30 Read Alouds, History, Science Reading

11:00 Break until Naptime

1:00 Writing, Reading, Silent Reading, Science Experiments (not an everyday thing)

done by 3:00 every day

See my two finished weekly reports here: First Report Second Report (Just Scans)

This is subject to change, but so far we are planning on this for my son's 2nd grade:

My Father's World Adventures(American history and geography, notebooking, hands-on projects, art, music appreciation, Bible, and science).

Serls Primary Language Lessons

Writing With Ease

MUS Beta

Explode the Code if he's not done with them yet.

Sonlight grade 3 readers and whatever else we pick up at the library.

We'll probably have a chapter book going at all times for a read aloud also.

If I was just starting out, I would stick to something scheduled and easy to implement while I was getting used to hsing. My Father's World, Sonlight, and Living Books Curriculum are all scheduled and fun.

Math: RightStart C

Spelling/Phonics/Reading: Spell to Write and Read

Prima Latina

Bible: all together - Bible Study Guide For All Ages

alone - Rod & Staff Bible readers and workbooks

Memory - Bible Memory and things I come up with

Copywork

Science - Apologia Astronomy

History - Story of the World 2 (did 1 last year)

Art - artpacs from Rod & Staff

LANGUAGE ARTS:

Handwriting: Getty Dubay Italic Book B (we are very slow with this).

Grammar & Writing: Rod & Staff English 2 "Preparing to Build"

Poetry: A Child's Garden of Verses (finished), Puddle Wonderful - Poems to Welcome Spring (current). We will read a few more before the year is over.

Reading: Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers. He has finished Book 2 and is currently working on Book 3. When he is finished with this, he will read through Among the Forest People until third grade begins.

Read Alouds: Currently I am reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have read: Abel's Island, Flat Stanley, Rabbit Hill, The Tough Winter, and some others.

Other: He recites memorized chapters from books (such as A A Milne), performs plays with puppets, and listens to audio books daily. His most recent are: Wulf the Saxon, There's an Owl in the Shower, The Cay and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. He has also read some books so far: Magic Tree House and Mrs. Frisby . . .

MATH:

Evan Moor's Daily Math Practice with Singapore's Word Problem book Level 2. Manipulatives are used a lot as well as games.

SCIENCE:

We are doing a year-long study of invertebrates with lots of books (many library) and some coloring and labeling worksheets.

HISTORY:

Story of the World -- Volume 1 (which we just finished) and Volume 2 (which we begin tomorrow). We have also added in suggested reading and done the map work. We added History Pockets -- Ancient Civilizations as well. He also listens to the Story of the World audio CDs -- both of them -- quite often. He has been listening to Our Island Story Volume 1 (a few times) and other history stories.

He has also done various geography and mapping exercises and logic exercises.

Here's what we did for 2nd...

Singapore Math (daily)

Abeka Grammar (daily)

Abeka Spelling (daily)

Abeka Reading (daily)

Penmanship (daily)

Veritas Press/SOTW History (daily)

Science Reading/Videos (nature) 1x/week

Piano practice -- daily.

Here is my second grade plan for next year...

Math-Right Start Level C

History-SOTW vol 2 w/ AG and lots of Living Books (AO list)

Spelling-All About Spelling Level 2 (finishing up) and 3

Grammar, dictation, narration, copywork, picture study-Queen's Language Lessons for the Very Young

Science-Nature Study using Barb's Green Hour Challenge, journaling, and digging deeper with the use of trail guides and living books.

Latin-Song School Latin and maybe some Minimus

French-various DVD, audio w/books, and conversation w/ DAD who is fluent.

Lots and lots of reading from the AO list and other lists. Narration will be expected on some of it.

What an exciting time for you! You can do it!:001_smile:

Schedule? We don't need no stinkin' schedule! lol

But we do use curricula of various sorts.

SOTW 2 plus Activity Guide, various supplementary books from the AG or the library shelf

Rod and Staff Grammar 2 (when we get to it)

Adventures in Phonics C

Spelling Workout C

Saxon math 3 (lots of folks use this a year ahead, like we do)

Home Science Adventures microscope kit

Little Visits with God devotional

Free reading with lots of self-chosen books (currently Nancy Drew kick)

Read alouds--extra--we tie in to our history, but that's history time. We also have "read aloud" time throughout the day--currently reading Heidi.

We also just added in a small Bible component, working on a lapbook and working thru Christian Liberty's Studying God's Word A (forgot I had it laying around, so we started it)

We also do Prima Latina on occasion--haven't for a couple of weeks, but we'll get back to it one of these days.

Music and Art are sort of integrated, sort of not happening much these days.

This is my plan for next year. I don't really have a strict daily schedule because it depends on outside activities.

Rod and Staff Math 2

Pathway Readers 2 and LLATL Red (for reading/phonics)

FLL/WWE1 for copywork/grammar/memorization etc.--a year behind because ds's handwriting is delayed

For history, I'm planning to read through old versions of SL cores 1 and 2, but instead of following the IG, we'll use a pile method with CM style narration instead of the SL questions.

For science we'll do the SL experiments with the Discover and Do dvds. We'll probably get through the K and half of the 1 level.

I am really tempted by Winterpromise's new history overview, I may give in and order it to use as a spine instead of SL. Even if I do, we'll use SL read-alouds to round out the year.

We spend about 1.5 hrs a day on the 3Rs and about 30 minutes to an hour on read alouds.

Here's what we do:

Over breakfast we study Bible, then do memory work, which includes Latin recitations/vocab review, Bible memory verses, and poetry.

After breakfast we break for chores.

Math (MUS Beta)

10 minute break

Latin (Latina Christiana 1)

10 minute break

Language Arts - First Language Lessons - 3 days, Spelling Power - 4 days, Handwriting/ copywork/dictation - 4 days

break while I prepare lunch

Lunch - I read aloud from our literature selection and we discuss

History(3 days) or Science (2 days)

Then on some days we do other things - art projects, music appreciation, dictionary work, or other projects. Some days we don't :001_smile:.

Edited to add: She is required to read independently for 20 minutes each day (I require 10 minutes a day per grade level) but she exceeds that of her own accord.

I hope this helps - good luck with homeschooling!!

My second grader:

I try to be done by lunchtime with him. Who want to make school all day? I want him to think it is fun! So, here's my schedule

Reading:

He has read so much this year. I didn't realize it until I had to compile this:

1. A Beka's third grade readers=He started reading them after First Favorites.

2. First Favorites as my whole year curriculum.

3. Fifty Famous Stories Retold= fabulous 2nd grade reader(covered my history)

4. Christian Liberty Nature Reader=covered science

Writing:

He did copywork from Fifty Famous Stories Retold and First Favorites

Math:

Singapore 1B and now 2A: We are temporarily holding off on textbooks and playing more math games until my son grasps certain concepts.

Logic

Mindbenders Beginner 2 and Warm Up

Building Thinking Skills level 1

Geography:

Rand McNally's Beginning Geography

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We do short intense lesson.

Rhythmic math drill--tossing a ball back and forth and saying the addition, multiplication, subtraction and division tables.

Phonics--Spell to Write and Read

Math--Singapore 3a/b (1-3 workbook pages per day after we go over stuff in the text).

Language Arts--Aesop's Fables

Composition--rewriting fables

Copywork--copying the fables that she has composed. I read a fable on Mondays, she composes her own version on Tuesday which I write down and then she copies it in her own handwriting on Wed., Thurs. and the following Tues.

Latin--Minimus Latin spread out over a year into small bites.

Science--Singapore Math's My Pals are Here Science 4a/b

History--D'Aulaire Biographies and Story of the World 2

We take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day to do school.:)

We're pulling our son out of 1st grade tomorrow. Thanks to everyone on this board, I think we have the next 4 months figured out. Then he'll be in 2nd grade, and I'm not sure what we should cover. What are you doing?

You'll find ours. Hobbes is my second grader.

Best wishes

Laura

Tapestry of Grace Year 2 Redesigned (for history, lit, church history)--as assigned weekly

First Language Lessons (grammar)--daily

Spelling Workout--one lesson every other week (we're in the 3rd grade book)

Math U See (Beta)--daily

Pathways 2nd grade readers/workbooks (I only do 1 workbook page for each chapter....and I alternate reading with spelling weeks)

Winter Promise Science ( "The World Around Me")--1-2 days/week

Building Thinking Skills...loosely

For devotions we love "Wisdom and the Millers".

Hope that helps!

Here is my current plan. I have been changing things a bit. I am planning to add R&S spelling twice a week because she has decided that she wants to enter a spelling bee. Once I get the GP English, I will determine if I am going to add more to the LA curriculum. At the beginning of the year next year I will also check to see if she still needs a handwriting program.

Daily

BJU Math finish 2 and start 3

Sonlight Grade 3-5 Readers -

Lively Latin3 Times a week

Galore Park Junior English 1

2 Times a Week

TOG Year 2 Units 1 and 2 at half pace (for literature, history and geography)

Sonlight Level 2 Science DVDs and kit she will just do the experiments and then follow up with library books on topics she is interested in.

Artistic Pursuits

First Language Lessons (2nd grade) or Primary Language Lessons (still deciding!)

Rod and Staff Arithmetic 2nd grade

History-Biblioplan Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation w/SOTW 2

Biographies, Literature, Poetry-selections from Ambleside Online Year 2 & 3

Science-KF First Enc. Human Body and nature study

Narration, copywork, dictation, spelling, and memorization taken from literature and poetry

Classical music/composer study-one per quarter

Art/picture study-one artist per quarter

Music-piano, one lesson per week, practice every day

Ballet dance class 2 times a week

There's another big thread about 2nd grade here. My list, copied and pasted from there, looks like this:

Daily Subjects

Latin: Lingua Latina (we've already begun this)

Math: Singapore PM 2 (beginning in a few weeks)

Composition: Classical Writing Aesop A (beginning in a month or two)

Weekly Subjects

Literature: Fables, fairy tales, etc. linked with CW

Geography: Evan-Moor Geography Units - Africa to link to

History: Ancient Egypt and Israel to link to

Religion: Schuster's Bible History (OT)

Science: Usborne Big Book of Experiments

We're transitioning between first and second grade right now. I am introducing the new materials for our core (daily) subjects over a period of weeks, and we'll add the rest in when we begin our official new school year in August.

This will be my 3rd time teaching 2nd grade. I've gotten more relaxed :)

As of right now, my will-be 2nd grader is not reading fluently. He will turn 8 in September.

Phonics Pathways (continue as long as we need to)

All About Spelling

Right Start Math Level B (we'll probably finish and go into C in the 2nd half of the year)

First Language Lessons 2

I am considering Susan's Writing With Ease

Story of the World 3

Scouts

Piano

Art, science, etc. as it happens. PE TBD

For second grade (starting in July) I will have my second grader doing

Singapore and Miquon Math

Lively Latin

Logic Links

SOTW 2

HWOT Cursive

Read aloud to Mommy for ~10m his book of choice.

We aim for about an hour a day excluding history. History is my son's favorite and it has a life of it's own in this house.

ETA: I was going to start with spelling but have decided to wait until the handwriting becomes more fluid and second nature for my son.

FOr next year (hopefully starting in late August, but since we're moving to England then...dunno):

Math: Finish Saxon 2 and start 3, QMM

LA: Sonlight LA (some-we'll see what its like)

narrations & ETC/Phonics Pathways (not a great reader...still)

Spelling: SWO B

Grammar: FLL, the second grade half

History: Combo of SL Core 2, with SOTW 3 & 4 (trying to match it up with big sister's Core 7, we're in modern times for the 4 year rotation)

Science: Noeo physics 2 (with big sis)

Art: Meet the Masters 2, and some crafty stuff

Handwriting: HWWT cursive book

SPanish: Espanl para Chicos y Grandes (again- did it 2 years ago, took aclass this year) and Rosetta Stone

Mind Benders, a Scholastic marine study we love, 15 hours a week of rhythmic gymnastics, and various other random things!

Cami