Menu

What's so grand about the Grand Canyon?

Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon?  

1. 1. Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon?

• Maybe in a previous life
    • Where is the Grand Canyon? Canyada? yadda yadda yadda
    • No, thanks. I'll catch in on Netflix.
    • I'm afraid of heights but if you promise to do my laundry for a year, I'll get on the skywalk
    • The cute rangers in uniform was my favorite part!
    • Riding on a mule all day is not good for your coccyx.
    • Yes, and I've got the magnet to prove it!
    • I'll go but only if they allow breastfeeding.
    • Does Big Thunder Mountain Railroad count?
    • Yes! We did it for our geology unit study. Next up is the North Pole for our Santa Claus unit.

Just thought I'd add more fodder for Doran's tongue-in-cheek thread. ;)

Actually, I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon and am wondering what's stopping me. Instead of being lost at sea or falling over the railing into the deep blue ocean (is it even blue anymore?), maybe I'll lose my sense of direction or slip off the edge of a cliff.

Have you been there, done that? Incredible experience or overrated? North or South Rim? Spring, summer, fall, or winter? Helicopter or airplane tour? Mule tour? Day hike? River rafting? Ranger presentations? Grand Canyon Skywalk? Phantom Ranch? Havasu Canyon?

I smell a poll. But there are too many choices, so it may just be a silly one.

It was a loooong time ago (22 years) but I used to work at the Grand Canyon; I went to a job interview in Tacoma, WA (near my hometown), was offered a job, and moved to the Canyon a month later. I lived and worked there for 8 months or so; lived in a workers' dorm literally a stone's throw from the edge. I was a hostess in the five-star El Tovar Lodge dining room. WOW, that was an eye opener; working for a national park system.

My parents live near Phoenix in the winter and I've always wanted to go back -- but for me it would be more of a trip down memory lane than seeing a national park, so I don't know if it would be enjoyable, KWIM? I'd be scared to see someone I used to work with still "stuck" there, LOL.

My Grandad always said it was just a hole in the ground. My dad's reply, "Yeah, but what a hole!"

I've been once as a child, and once as an adult. We definately plan on taking the kids. They have been begging to go. Technically, ds has been, but he was 7 months and obviously doesn't remember.

It's incredible! Gorgeous, breath-taking - like you'd imagine. Just better in person! It's so easy to see God's strength, artistry and power by gazing at the canyon walls. We went there more than 15 years ago..... The railings at the edge were iron-type bars with large spaces between them. Make sure you hang on to the shirt of your three-year old and don't let him out of your sight! Ask me how I know.

We've been twice. It's a very pretty hole in the ground. Of course, my enjoyment of it might have been lessened by the fact both times we took small boys coupled with the fact I have a fear of heights.

Our second time was actually this past April. I tried to talk dh out of it, but he wanted to go. We went into a convenience-type store on the grounds to pick up some drinks, and as we were checking out I noticed they had an inch-thick book that told of all the deaths that had occurred there. And the cashier-guy was older (60s-70s), and spoke like one of those "scary" Verizon dead zone guys. As we were walking away, he leans over to me and says in a scary half-whisper "Don't let them get too close to the edge".

I have a friend that does a twenty day hike alone there every other year. He is really cool. I love canyons and rivers and natural places. I'm going when my kids are older and we can take a multi-day river raft tour because I have always wanted to go, and I refuse to have my little ones spoil my trip for me.

btw - Your question reminded me of a Singapore CWP we did last week. It was a question about how far people traveled to get to the Grand Canyon - some came by train, others by car and others arrived by boat. My dd couldn't finish the problem because she got distracted trying to figure out how a boat would get to the Grand Canyon. (she knows the Colorado hasn't emptied into the Sea of Cortez in a long time).

Dh and I went to the Grand Canyon before children. It was absolutely breathtaking, awe inspiring, grand! We also did a lot of the other canyons and Native American ruins. We were in the area for about two weeks, hiking and camping.

I want so to do it with my children. We talked about it this year but didn't happen. Maybe next year. I would love to share it with them. But probably without so much hiking and camping this time. My old bones, you know.

Janet

Have you been there, done that? Incredible experience or overrated? North or South Rim? Spring, summer, fall, or winter? Helicopter or airplane tour? Mule tour? Day hike? River rafting? Ranger presentations? Grand Canyon Skywalk? Phantom Ranch? Havasu Canyon?

7th grade, family vacation that included many other places around the US. Don't remember which rim. It was summer. No tours, hiking, rafting, etc... Just went to a lookout point. I remember a very flimsy-looking rope barrier that was only about knee high separating us from the edge of the cliff. Probably updated by now. :)

We went to the Grand Canyon and loved it - we saw the west and south rims, and the eastern side as you drive around. We also took a plane/helicopter/boat trip from Las Vegas and enjoyed that.

That said, the whole family liked both Zion and Bryce (both in Utah) better... The reason? You get to the Grand Canyon and say, "Yep, that's it" cause you've seen it before on anything from magazine ads to beer commercials (though it's MUCH better in person). At Zion and Bryce (our favorite) you simply go WOW - and then WOW, etc. Hiking in the amphitheater at Bryce was incredible...

Incidentally... all three are pretty do-able on the same trip.

DH and I have a list of things we always wanted to see in the US. We have been to the grand cayon a few times and am always in awe struck just taking in the beauty of it all. Like seeing a perfect New England fall or the sunrise on the ocean it's just on of those things I've always wanted to see. This summer we took our list and went on a 5000 mile adventure around the US. What an adventure it was. We went to the Rocky Mtns, i was in Aspen, Denver, Breckenridge, the kids played in snow in June. We stopped in St. Louis and spent a couple hours at the park around the arch because it was so beautiful. We went to canyon lands, deserts, rode alpine slides, Bad Lands, Grand Tetons, Yellow stone, Mt Zion Park, we saw some amazing sights all across the use from Mts to prairies and what memories my kids have. Why should you see the grand canyon because you want to. If you appreciate the beauty of the US it is one place you need to see. We spent to many years with would have, could have, should have.

What's so grand about the Grand Canyon?

The GRAND part, silly. ;)

The kids and I went to the Grand Canyon with my mother about six years ago as part of a trip that included other points of interest in Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson, Sedona). The canyon was, truly, spectacular, despite the fact that the day we were there was mostly cloudy. We went in November, to the South Rim. Unforgettable! One photo attached. Pictures with a cheap point and shoot don't come close to capturing the grandeur of the place.

post-1401-13535082997637_thumb.jpg

post-1401-13535082997637_thumb.jpg

We went 2 years ago and it is just amazing. If you go, pick up a copy of "Death in the Canyon". They sell it in all the gift shops. It's about all the various ways people have died there. I know that sounds macabre but it is very interesting.

Oh my goodness! I read parts of this book in the gift shop when we went and have regretted buying it for the last five years! HA!

The Canyon is great! We went on a day hike. I want to go back and hike to the bottom and stay in the cabins down there. Or camp. I'd definitely recommend going and hiking (and I'm not a super athletic type). The hiking really gives you an up close view instead of just looking over a look out point for a few minutes. Just make sure you don't hike too far. You go downhill on the way in... it's a lot harder hiking out!

We went to the south rim in the spring. Can't wait to go back!

It was fantastic!! There are paths/sidewalks, so you only get as close to the edge as you want.

The train ride was great and I highly recommend it. We went off-season (September, in fact) and my kids were some of the few kids on the train (the only ones in our car). There were entertainers and they got a lot of attention.

I want to go back. :)