Menu

Who here will be watching Obama's speech with your homeschooler(s) next week?

Will you watch Obama's speech with your HSed kids next week?  

1. 1. Will you watch Obama's speech with your HSed kids next week?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'll TIVO it and preview before making a decision
    • Obligatory other

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sisters and I played a drinking game during the last presidential debate. We were only drinking on maverick, Joe the plumber, POW and earmark. We had to stop early though, we don't drink to excess.

ROFL......I should have thought of that. Would have been better then the Flip the Cup game.:D

See now Peek and Mungo I thought you guys were playing over on the slide but you've moved over to the sand box. I'll share my toys with both of you but you'll each have to bring your own shovel, ya know for the digs. :D

Sorry I couldn't resist ... please forgive....just trying to lighten the day. :D

Edited by BillieBoy
sp

I haven't yet decided so I chose "other". I told my kids that Obama was going to speaking to the kids on TV and asked them what they thought he would say. My dd7 commented that "his job is to talk to the adults, not to kids", so she couldn't even imagine what he would say:lol:. Neither of them seemed particularly interested at this point. I may have them watch if they have a desire to, and then talk with them afterwards about their thoughts.

What I do know is that I will not do what the DoE suggests in preparing them in advance to be "inspired" or moved to action by what he says. I teach my kids to always listen to anyone (pastors, teachers, politicians, etc) with a discerning heart and mind, and to form their own impressions and reactions based upon their personal beliefs aligned with their understanding of God's teaching. If they do watch, it won't be to absentmindedly absorb Obama's words as truth, but to listen with both a critical ear and an open mind. They are young and impressionable, but bright and discerning as well.

Edited by babysparkler

sure.

we'll make a game of it. eat a chocolate chip every time we hear Obama's buzzwords.

or a Bingo game w/ all the buzzwords: O-B-A-M-A

who wants to help me make a list? :D

:lol:

Oh I am so game!

Actually, it's a great idea! It will keep the kids engaged and help them pay attention.

As for why we will be watching, I tell my kids when the President speaks, you listen. It's important to hear what he's saying because he works for us. It's the only way we're able to make informed decisions when it comes time to vote and decide who will represent us next.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I put I would tivo and preview before letting dc watch. But that's not true. His speech is suppose to be for grades K-6th. My two in that age range will not be watching it. They know who the President is, they know the historical mark he has made on history. Really, at this point that's enough. It's more important for them to learn history and about our founders than our current President, so they will not be watching or discussing this. After I preview it and think about whatever he says, I will share it with my 8th grader. He was very involved in the election process last year and seemed to really enjoy researching topics and issues. He and I will talk about whatever it is the President will be asking the K-6th graders to do.

Melissa

I haven't decided. We typically do not turn on the TV for political messages. I almost never interrupt our school day to turn on the TV, except for videos that have been planned into our curriculum. I simply hate politics (I even loudly exclaimed this sentiment as a child, talking in my sleep.) I may decide to watch it as a critical thinking exercise. What parts we agree with, what parts we don't, etc. I am doing government studies with my boys this year and it may be educational for those purposes.

I posted other as I'm not sure. I think I'd like to watch it first and then make the decision. I'm not a fan but I do want to teach my dc to respect the president. Plus, I think if we discuss where we disagree with his positions or agree with them then it may be a valuable tool to teaching thinking skills. Also, if he's going to discuss how important getting an education is then my dc could benefit from someone other than myself saying it. ;)

My sisters and I played a drinking game during the last presidential debate. We were only drinking on maverick, Joe the plumber, POW and earmark. We had to stop early though, we don't drink to excess.

:smilielol5::smilielol5:That's funny! I should have been drinking everytime I heard those too. Yet, if I took a drink everytime one of those were said I would have been three sheets to the wind mid way through.

Not just no, but...well, you get the picture. I think this particular prez just likes his monopoly on the television channels. He's annoying enough. His policies are worse. And then he tries to make himself all the more annoying by making certain his face is on 5 different stations every. time. he has something to say that he THINKS we are just drooling to hear. It's as though he thinks we're Israel at Sinai just waiting for him to come down and tell us what Gd has to say to us.

Thank goodness the word "change" wasn't part of the game...that would take ya'll about 5 minutes before you'd be stumbling around.

Not just no, but...well, you get the picture. I think this particular prez just likes his monopoly on the television channels. He's annoying enough. His policies are worse. And then he tries to make himself all the more annoying by making certain his face is on 5 different stations every. time. he has something to say that he THINKS we are just drooling to hear. It's as though he thinks we're Israel at Sinai just waiting for him to come down and tell us what Gd has to say to us.

:lol::lol: I laughed so hard the baby might come early!

:lol::lol:

Great minds think a like! Dh and I did the same thing! (Dh ended up passing out halfway through though!)

sure.

we'll make a game of it. eat a chocolate chip every time we hear Obama's buzzwords.

or a Bingo game w/ all the buzzwords: O-B-A-M-A

who wants to help me make a list? :D

Ooooooooh - can I change my answer?

I voted "no" but I might change my mind & use Peek's idea. Brilliant!

In our house parents are going to watch it first and then possibly review it with him. I get too politically hyped up, that I would prefer to react to some comment on my own without G- sitting next to me. If it is just a great "the President is encouraging kids in school" kinda thing with minor politics then we will cover it and discuss it afterward. He is only 7, but we have political conversations all the time and it's important for us, that he understand why we believe what we do. I like engaging my son in the process, and frankly, I'm glad he's at home to do this so I can engage him and follow up the way I believe it needs to be followed up. I'd be more hesitant to have him go to school and be involved, just b/c we are left out of the conversation.

Of course, we'll be watching!

That is hilarious! :lol:

I think it would be great to watch. I would watch any President with my ds just for the record:).

Ditto.

See now Peek and Mungo I thought you guys were playing over on the slide but you've moved over to the sand box. I'll share my toys with both of you but you'll each have to bring your own shovel, ya know for the digs. :D

Sorry I couldn't resist ... please forgive....just trying to lighten the day. :D

:lol::lol::lol: